Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Pickles At The Movies!

OK... I hijacked another thread to start this....

"Mark Thorson" > wrote
> Isn't it traditionally done with a pickle?
> I recall a spate of postings and web sites
> about doing this with pickles many years ago.

Speaking of pickles......

When I moved South a few years ago, the first time I went to a movie theater
I saw a big jar of dill pickles at the refreshment counter. $2.00 each. I
asked the girl who worked there and she told me that they sold at least one
jar every night.

What??? Who on God's green earth would think that a pickle is a good snack
at a movie?

Apparently Texans do... and people in Louisiana and Mississippi. Does
anyone besides me think this is strange?

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-09-15, George Leppla > wrote:

> Apparently Texans do... and people in Louisiana and Mississippi. Does
> anyone besides me think this is strange?

Sounds pretty good, specially with popcorn or peanuts.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2009-09-15, George Leppla > wrote:
>

>>Apparently Texans do... and people in Louisiana and Mississippi. Does
>>anyone besides me think this is strange?

> Sounds pretty good, specially with popcorn or peanuts.
>
> nb

Or rather, *instead* of popcorn or peanuts.

Salty AND sour... Mmmm.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 15, 6:04*pm, "George Leppla" > wrote:
> OK... I hijacked another thread to start this....
>
> "Mark Thorson" > wrote
>
> > Isn't it traditionally done with a pickle?
> > I recall a spate of postings and web sites
> > about doing this with pickles many years ago.

> Speaking of pickles......
>
> When I moved South a few years ago, the first time I went to a movie theater
> I saw a big jar of dill pickles at the refreshment counter. *$2.00 each.. *I
> asked the girl who worked there and she told me that they sold at least one
> jar every night.
>
> What??? *Who on God's green earth would think that a pickle is a good snack
> at a movie?
>
> Apparently Texans do... and people in Louisiana and Mississippi. *Does
> anyone besides me think this is strange?
>
> George L

ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I was a kid (50s - 60s) we could get big fat
dill pickles about 4" to 6". They were not, as I remember cheap cost
somewhere around a buck. That pickle could last an hour or more!
Lynn in Fargo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 23:15:48 GMT, notbob > wrote:

-->On 2009-09-15, George Leppla > wrote:
-->
-->> Apparently Texans do... and people in Louisiana and Mississippi. Does
-->> anyone besides me think this is strange?
-->
-->Sounds pretty good, specially with popcorn or peanuts.
-->
-->nb

With hot buttered popcorn, yummmm

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:43:02 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig
> wrote:

>On Sep 15, 6:04*pm, "George Leppla" > wrote:
>> OK... I hijacked another thread to start this....
>>
>> "Mark Thorson" > wrote
>>
>> > Isn't it traditionally done with a pickle?
>> > I recall a spate of postings and web sites
>> > about doing this with pickles many years ago.

>> Speaking of pickles......
>>
>> When I moved South a few years ago, the first time I went to a movie theater
>> I saw a big jar of dill pickles at the refreshment counter. *$2.00 each. *I
>> asked the girl who worked there and she told me that they sold at least one
>> jar every night.
>>
>> What??? *Who on God's green earth would think that a pickle is a good snack
>> at a movie?
>>
>> Apparently Texans do... and people in Louisiana and Mississippi. *Does
>> anyone besides me think this is strange?
>>
>> George L

>ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I was a kid (50s - 60s) we could get big fat
>dill pickles about 4" to 6". They were not, as I remember cheap cost
>somewhere around a buck. That pickle could last an hour or more!
>Lynn in Fargo

Where was that... in NYC in the '50s a giant pickle fished from a huge
wooden barrel cost a nickle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George wrote:

> Speaking of pickles......
>
> When I moved South a few years ago, the first time I went to a movie
> theater I saw a big jar of dill pickles at the refreshment counter. $2.00
> each. I asked the girl who worked there and she told me that they sold at
> least one jar every night.
>
> What??? Who on God's green earth would think that a pickle is a good
> snack at a movie?
>
> Apparently Texans do... and people in Louisiana and Mississippi. Does
> anyone besides me think this is strange?

I wonder if they'd sell even more if they were Kool-Aid pickles.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig" > wrote in message
On Sep 15, 6:04 pm, "George Leppla" > wrote:
> OK... I hijacked another thread to start this....
>
> "Mark Thorson" > wrote
>
> > Isn't it traditionally done with a pickle?
> > I recall a spate of postings and web sites
> > about doing this with pickles many years ago.

> Speaking of pickles......
>
> When I moved South a few years ago, the first time I went to a movie
> theater
> I saw a big jar of dill pickles at the refreshment counter. $2.00 each. I
> asked the girl who worked there and she told me that they sold at least
> one
> jar every night.
>
> What??? Who on God's green earth would think that a pickle is a good snack
> at a movie?
>
> Apparently Texans do... and people in Louisiana and Mississippi. Does
> anyone besides me think this is strange?
>
> George L

ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I was a kid (50s - 60s) we could get big fat
dill pickles about 4" to 6". They were not, as I remember cheap cost
somewhere around a buck. That pickle could last an hour or more!
Lynn in Fargo

In the 60s, the bars around campus sold huge pickles in addition to cheese
plates and hamburgers. The pickles were 25 cents and the cheese plates 50
cents. Oh, and a plate of hard boiled eggs -- 4 I think for 50 cents.
Cheap eating and drinking -- a pitcher of beer was a dollar. Ah, the good
old days.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-09-16, hahabogus > wrote:

> In the late 70's and early 80's large pickles were for sale at Drive-In movie consession booths...up
> here.

Yo, Bo! You need to set your newsreader client to wrap long
sentences.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in
on Sep Tue 2009 pm

> On 2009-09-16, hahabogus > wrote:
>
>> In the late 70's and early 80's large pickles were for sale at
>> Drive-In movie consession booths...up here.

> Yo, Bo! You need to set your newsreader client to wrap long
> sentences.
>
> nb

I like the way it wraps now.

--
Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Jimmy Durante

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-09-16, hahabogus > wrote:

> I like the way it wraps now.

IOW, everone has to make sure they can wrap your overly long lines,
like this:

> Look closely at the pictures. I have never gotten a meat sauce as

thick as
> it is shown in the picture
> on that site (where sauce is spread on noodles). It looks like the

meat
> sauce is so thick that 2 more
> minutes of cooking would cause a total lack of moisture. It looks

more
> like stuff that had dipped in
> a sauce lightly and then spread on top of the noodles. Seems too dry
> looking to be an actual sauce

Are you saying everyone can like it or lump it?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"George Leppla" > wrote:

> What??? Who on God's green earth would think that a pickle is a good snack
> at a movie?
>
> Apparently Texans do... and people in Louisiana and Mississippi. Does
> anyone besides me think this is strange?

Doesn't seem strange to me. I'm on a reduced sodium diet, so I wouldn't
do it, but if I wasn't, and was on a low calorie diet, that would be an
ideal snack food.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 15, 6:04*pm, "George Leppla" > wrote:
> OK... I hijacked another thread to start this....
>
> "Mark Thorson" > wrote
>
> > Isn't it traditionally done with a pickle?
> > I recall a spate of postings and web sites
> > about doing this with pickles many years ago.

> Speaking of pickles......
>
> When I moved South a few years ago, the first time I went to a movie theater
> I saw a big jar of dill pickles at the refreshment counter. *$2.00 each.. *I
> asked the girl who worked there and she told me that they sold at least one
> jar every night.

A $2 pickle??!! OMG! No way!! That's far too much!

I knew a guy in HS who ate a whole jar of pickles, then jrank the
juice! He was not entirely "right" though.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message
> OK... I hijacked another thread to start this....
>
> "Mark Thorson" > wrote
>> Isn't it traditionally done with a pickle?
>> I recall a spate of postings and web sites
>> about doing this with pickles many years ago.

> Speaking of pickles......
>
> When I moved South a few years ago, the first time I went to a movie
> theater I saw a big jar of dill pickles at the refreshment counter. $2.00
> each. I asked the girl who worked there and she told me that they sold at
> least one jar every night.
>
> What??? Who on God's green earth would think that a pickle is a good
> snack at a movie?
>
> Apparently Texans do... and people in Louisiana and Mississippi. Does
> anyone besides me think this is strange?

I often eat pickles with Milk Duds.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2009-09-16, hahabogus > wrote:
>
>> I like the way it wraps now.

> IOW, everone has to make sure they can wrap your overly long lines,
> like this:
>
>> Look closely at the pictures. I have never gotten a meat sauce as

> thick as
>> it is shown in the picture
>> on that site (where sauce is spread on noodles). It looks like the

> meat
>> sauce is so thick that 2 more
>> minutes of cooking would cause a total lack of moisture. It looks

> more
>> like stuff that had dipped in
>> a sauce lightly and then spread on top of the noodles. Seems too dry
>> looking to be an actual sauce

> Are you saying everyone can like it or lump it?
>
> nb

I didn't see his posts the way you quoted. Looked normal to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" > wrote in on Sep
Tue 2009 pm

> "notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 2009-09-16, hahabogus > wrote:
>>
>>> I like the way it wraps now.

>> IOW, everone has to make sure they can wrap your overly long lines,
>> like this:
>>
>>> Look closely at the pictures. I have never gotten a meat sauce as

>> thick as
>>> it is shown in the picture
>>> on that site (where sauce is spread on noodles). It looks like the

>> meat
>>> sauce is so thick that 2 more
>>> minutes of cooking would cause a total lack of moisture. It looks

>> more
>>> like stuff that had dipped in
>>> a sauce lightly and then spread on top of the noodles. Seems too dry
>>> looking to be an actual sauce

>> Are you saying everyone can like it or lump it?
>>
>> nb

> I didn't see his posts the way you quoted. Looked normal to me.

soooo...it's looking like notbob's wrapping is incorrect and mine is fine.
As mine wraps at 76 and his wraps at about 68.

I believe the standard is 74 to 76, but I am willing to defer to Victor as his knowledge in this area and
many others is superior to mine.

--
Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Jimmy Durante

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
5.247 on Sep Wed 2009 am

> On Tue 15 Sep 2009 10:07:41p, hahabogus told us...
>
>> "Cheryl" > wrote in
>> on Sep Tue 2009 pm

>>> I didn't see his posts the way you quoted. Looked normal to me.
>>>

>> soooo...it's looking like notbob's wrapping is incorrect and mine is
>> fine. As mine wraps at 76 and his wraps at about 68.
>>
>> I believe the standard is 74 to 76, but I am willing to defer to Victor
>> as his knowledge in this area and many others is superior to mine.
>>

> The Xnews newsreader states between 65 and 78.

Ahh so we are both wrapping correctly.

--
Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Jimmy Durante

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 23:15:48 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2009-09-15, George Leppla > wrote:
>
>> Apparently Texans do... and people in Louisiana and Mississippi. Does
>> anyone besides me think this is strange?

>Sounds pretty good, specially with popcorn or peanuts.

I think both of you are pregnant.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message
> OK... I hijacked another thread to start this....
>
> "Mark Thorson" > wrote
>> Isn't it traditionally done with a pickle?
>> I recall a spate of postings and web sites
>> about doing this with pickles many years ago.

> Speaking of pickles......
>
> When I moved South a few years ago, the first time I went to a movie
> theater I saw a big jar of dill pickles at the refreshment counter. $2.00
> each. I asked the girl who worked there and she told me that they sold at
> least one jar every night.
>
> What??? Who on God's green earth would think that a pickle is a good
> snack at a movie?
>
> Apparently Texans do... and people in Louisiana and Mississippi. Does
> anyone besides me think this is strange?

I think it is cool.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-09-16, hahabogus > wrote:

> I believe the standard is 74 to 76, but I am willing to defer to Victor as his knowledge

My first post on your wrapping, I toggled MY wrap function, a function
that wraps unwrapped postings, so your lines weren't off the page.
The above line, minus the greater-than symbol and space, is almost 86
characters long as I read it on my client. I would surely suspect my
client to be the problem if yours weren't the only posts I've read in
months that are doing this. Unfortunately, your posts ARE the only
ones showing up extending clear across my screen. NO ONE else in over
a dozen groups I read is doing this. I will add, your posts didn't
used to do this. Since my client is not capable of being set to
specifically select and extend only your postings clear across my
screen, to the exclusion of everyone else, I must assume the problem
lies not in my client, but in yours. BTW, I will get a warning prior
to posting your line above and will have to "force" my client to
repost it. It will then, no doubt, automatically wrap the above
quoted line, despite the fact it now extends nearly 90 spaces across
my screen.

I hope this clarifies my position, somewhat.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote in
on Sep Wed 2009 am

> On 2009-09-16, hahabogus > wrote:
>
>> I believe the standard is 74 to 76, but I am willing to defer to
>> Victor as his knowledge

> My first post on your wrapping, I toggled MY wrap function, a function
> that wraps unwrapped postings, so your lines weren't off the page.
> The above line, minus the greater-than symbol and space, is almost 86
> characters long as I read it on my client. I would surely suspect my
> client to be the problem if yours weren't the only posts I've read in
> months that are doing this. Unfortunately, your posts ARE the only
> ones showing up extending clear across my screen. NO ONE else in over
> a dozen groups I read is doing this. I will add, your posts didn't
> used to do this. Since my client is not capable of being set to
> specifically select and extend only your postings clear across my
> screen, to the exclusion of everyone else, I must assume the problem
> lies not in my client, but in yours. BTW, I will get a warning prior
> to posting your line above and will have to "force" my client to
> repost it. It will then, no doubt, automatically wrap the above
> quoted line, despite the fact it now extends nearly 90 spaces across
> my screen.
>
> I hope this clarifies my position, somewhat.
>
> nb

I still insist my news client xnews has the wrap set to 76 and I am
happy. So I guess you'll have to live with it. As yours seem to be the
only complaint of my wrapping length I feel no great need to hide my
head in shame or to actually do anything about it.

If you find say 4 or 5 others with the same complaint I will attempt
some sort of fix. I did go looking thru the options section and all does
appear to be correct. Perhaps after noticing your ruler (as I just did)
you should adjust your settings. Because to me your line length appears
close to the dreaded 90

--
Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Jimmy Durante

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus > wrote in
47 on Sep Tue 2009 pm

> notbob > wrote in
> on Sep Tue 2009 pm
>
>> On 2009-09-16, hahabogus > wrote:
>>
>>> In the late 70's and early 80's large pickles were for sale at
>>> Drive-In movie consession booths...up here.

>> Yo, Bo! You need to set your newsreader client to wrap long
>> sentences.
>>
>> nb
>>

> I like the way it wraps now.

Note on your first mention of my line length. Both my posting and your
reply appear about the same length at least to me.

--
Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Jimmy Durante

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus > wrote in
50 on Sep Wed 2009 am

> hahabogus > wrote in
> 47 on Sep Tue 2009
> pm
>
>> notbob > wrote in
>> on Sep Tue 2009 pm

>>> Yo, Bo! You need to set your newsreader client to wrap long
>>> sentences.
>>>
>>> nb
>>>

>> I like the way it wraps now.
>>

> Note on your first mention of my line length. Both my posting and your
> reply appear about the same length at least to me.

I'll even show you my clients compose section options, as found in the
xnews.ini file.

[Compose]
NewsAttrib=%f wrote in %m on %D
MailAttrib=On %d, you wrote in %g:
ForwAttrib=Found this %m in %g:
AlwaysUseExternalEditor=0
ExternalEditor=
KeepCopies=0
MDIEditor=0
AutoRewrap=1
WrapColumn=76
CustomHeadersCount=0

--
Is that your nose, or are you eatting a banana? -Jimmy Durante

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 16 Sep 2009 02:43:16 GMT, notbob wrote:

> On 2009-09-16, hahabogus > wrote:
>
>> In the late 70's and early 80's large pickles were for sale at Drive-In movie consession booths...up
>> here.

> Yo, Bo! You need to set your newsreader client to wrap long
> sentences.
>
> nb

his posts look fine to me. maybe *your* newsreader needs some work.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 18:17:43 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> George wrote:
>
>> Speaking of pickles......
>>
>> When I moved South a few years ago, the first time I went to a movie
>> theater I saw a big jar of dill pickles at the refreshment counter. $2.00
>> each. I asked the girl who worked there and she told me that they sold at
>> least one jar every night.
>>
>> What??? Who on God's green earth would think that a pickle is a good
>> snack at a movie?
>>
>> Apparently Texans do... and people in Louisiana and Mississippi. Does
>> anyone besides me think this is strange?

> I wonder if they'd sell even more if they were Kool-Aid pickles.
>
> Bob

electric kool-aid pickles!! yes!!!

your pal,
ken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2009-09-16, hahabogus > wrote:

> I still insist my news client xnews has the wrap set to 76 and I am

You may be right. All your lines are just fine in this post. I'm
beginning to think something IS wrong with my client, or even my
computer (rather old). I had a problem the other day with another
issue with this client (slrn) that also appeared to be intermittent.
I'm learning another client (gnus) so, we'll see how that works
out.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message
> OK... I hijacked another thread to start this....
>
> "Mark Thorson" > wrote
>> Isn't it traditionally done with a pickle?
>> I recall a spate of postings and web sites
>> about doing this with pickles many years ago.

> Speaking of pickles......
>
> When I moved South a few years ago, the first time I went to a movie
> theater I saw a big jar of dill pickles at the refreshment counter. $2.00
> each. I asked the girl who worked there and she told me that they sold at
> least one jar every night.
>
> What??? Who on God's green earth would think that a pickle is a good
> snack at a movie?
>
> Apparently Texans do... and people in Louisiana and Mississippi. Does
> anyone besides me think this is strange?
>
> George L

Nah. Here in PA they sell a pickle-on-a-stick at my favorite amusement
park, Knoebel's. I saw lots of people walking around with them, young, old,
you name it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:

> "Cheryl" > wrote in
> on Sep Tue 2009 pm

> > I didn't see his posts the way you quoted. Looked normal to me.

> soooo...it's looking like notbob's wrapping is incorrect and mine is
> fine. As mine wraps at 76 and his wraps at about 68.

Well, the post you referenced, off in the lasagna thread, also was
badly wrapped for me. The ones in this thread have looked normal.

Brian

--
Day 226 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 16, 8:58*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 18:17:43 -0700, Bob Terwilliger wrote:
> > George wrote:

> >> Speaking of pickles......

> >> When I moved South a few years ago, the first time I went to a movie
> >> theater I saw a big jar of dill pickles at the refreshment counter. *$2.00
> >> each. *I asked the girl who worked there and she told me that they sold at
> >> least one jar every night.

> >> What??? *Who on God's green earth would think that a pickle is a good
> >> snack at a movie?

> >> Apparently Texans do... and people in Louisiana and Mississippi. Does
> >> anyone besides me think this is strange?

> > I wonder if they'd sell even more if they were Kool-Aid pickles.

> > Bob

> electric kool-aid pickles!! *yes!!!
>
> your pal,
> ken- Hide quoted text -

LOL!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Sep 2009 16:43:02 -0700 (PDT), Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sep 15, 6:04 pm, "George Leppla" > wrote:
>>> OK... I hijacked another thread to start this....
>>>
>>> "Mark Thorson" > wrote

>>> Speaking of pickles......
>>>
>>> When I moved South a few years ago, the first time I went to a movie theater
>>> I saw a big jar of dill pickles at the refreshment counter. $2.00 each. I
>>> asked the girl who worked there and she told me that they sold at least one
>>> jar every night.
>>>
>>> What??? Who on God's green earth would think that a pickle is a good snack
>>> at a movie?
>>>
>>> Apparently Texans do... and people in Louisiana and Mississippi. Does
>>> anyone besides me think this is strange?
>>>
>>> George L

>> ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When I was a kid (50s - 60s) we could get big fat
>> dill pickles about 4" to 6". They were not, as I remember cheap cost
>> somewhere around a buck. That pickle could last an hour or more!
>> Lynn in Fargo

> Where was that... in NYC in the '50s a giant pickle fished from a huge
> wooden barrel cost a nickle.

Yup! I frequently bought one for a nickel on the way home from
school.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote

>> Where was that... in NYC in the '50s a giant pickle fished from a huge
>> wooden barrel cost a nickle.

> Yup! I frequently bought one for a nickel on the way home from school.

Another thing you could buy for a nickel back then in NY was a big, soft
pretzel. I had an uncle who was only 8 years older than me and he and I
would sell pretzels out of a bushel basket near Knickerbocker Park in
Brooklyn.

We never made much money. Probably because we ate up too much of the
inventory.<vbg>

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Pickle juice is good for cramping muscles.
Look it up...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message

Pickle juice is good for cramping muscles.
Look it up...

===

What exactly is 'pickle juice'?

I like pickled onions in malt vinegar. Are you saying that will work?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> wrote in message
>
> Pickle juice is good for cramping muscles.
> Look it up...
>
> ===
>
> What exactly is 'pickle juice'?
>
> I like pickled onions in malt vinegar. Are you saying that will work?

Most likely they mean the brine in pickled cucumbers. In this country when
people say pickles, they mean pickled cucumbers. There are other pickled
foods but cucumbers are most common.

I just looked it up. It said it is good specifically for cramps after
exercise. They think salt is the reason.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> wrote in message
>
> Pickle juice is good for cramping muscles.
> Look it up...
>
> ===
>
> What exactly is 'pickle juice'?
>
> I like pickled onions in malt vinegar. Are you saying that will work?

Most likely they mean the brine in pickled cucumbers. In this country when
people say pickles, they mean pickled cucumbers. There are other pickled
foods but cucumbers are most common.

I just looked it up. It said it is good specifically for cramps after
exercise. They think salt is the reason.

====

Yes, I agree! I have heard that about salt before. When I get the leg
cramps, my doc always gave me quinine which worked well.

Foodie Movies rosie[_1_] General Cooking 0 05-06-2016 05:13 PM
Food Movies gtr General Cooking 0 23-08-2015 05:48 AM
''those'' peoples at the movies................. Peter Lucas General Cooking 2 16-10-2010 02:39 PM
Bread and Butter Pickles vs Yum Yum Pickles WLinington General Cooking 19 29-10-2009 10:56 PM
Wine with Movies? Shaun Eli Wine 16 12-01-2006 02:40 AM