FoodBanter.com

-   -   Tailgating anyone? (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/176825-tailgating-anyone.html)

Kris[_1_] 12-09-2009 04:14 PM

Tailgating anyone?

Good morning all,

This lovely fall weather and college football starting has been making
me think of maybe having a tailgate.

I've only ever brought a contribution to one before, not actually
organized one.

I might even "cheat" and have it in my driveway (I know, it's lame,
but I live two blocks aways from the local high school field so it's a
close subtitute).

When I think of tailgates, I think of:

bloody marys and/or pony keg
chili con queso w/ tortilla chips
some sort of soup
brats (maybe sauerkraut too?)
chili
Some sort of hold-in-hand-to-eat dessert (like cookies or bars)

Has anyone else hosted one? Or been to one that had a great menu?
Recipe & planning ideas welcome.

Go Michigan State,
Kris

Nancy Young[_2_] 12-09-2009 04:31 PM

Tailgating anyone?

Kris wrote:

I might even "cheat" and have it in my driveway (I know, it's lame,
but I live two blocks aways from the local high school field so it's a
close subtitute).

When I think of tailgates, I think of:

bloody marys and/or pony keg
chili con queso w/ tortilla chips
some sort of soup
brats (maybe sauerkraut too?)
chili
Some sort of hold-in-hand-to-eat dessert (like cookies or bars)

Has anyone else hosted one? Or been to one that had a great menu?
Recipe & planning ideas welcome.

Today's tailgate is washed out, but I had all my ingredients for
stromboli ready (pizza dough, prosciutto, salami, pastrami, hot peppers),
so I made them anyway. Froze one, baked the other and had that for
lunch. Unfortunately my brain let me down at the last minute and I
forgot to eggwash the outside of the stromboli before baking it. Tasted
great, looked anemic. Oh, well.

Last week it was a big bricked sandwich with the same salami &
prosciutto, artichoke hearts, goat cheese, basil and tapenade.
Other stuff I likely forget.

nancy

Kris[_1_] 12-09-2009 05:27 PM

Tailgating anyone?

On Sep 12, 11:31*am, "Nancy Young" wrote:
Kris wrote:
[...]

nancy *- Hide quoted text -

Those both sound good! How do you transport the stromboli (pale or
otherwise)?

Kris

Nancy Young[_2_] 12-09-2009 05:54 PM

Tailgating anyone?

Kris wrote:
On Sep 12, 11:31 am, "Nancy Young" wrote:

Today's tailgate is washed out, but I had all my ingredients for
stromboli ready (pizza dough, prosciutto, salami, pastrami, hot
peppers), so I made them anyway. Froze one, baked the other and had
that for lunch. Unfortunately my brain let me down at the last
minute and I forgot to eggwash the outside of the stromboli before
baking it. Tasted great, looked anemic. Oh, well.

Those both sound good! How do you transport the stromboli (pale or
otherwise)?

I wrap it in foil, then in a towel or something. It doesn't need to
stay hot or warm for longer than 45 minutes to an hour.

And I'm easy, I'd even eat it cold. Heh.

nancy

Tom Biasi[_2_] 12-09-2009 08:24 PM

Tailgating anyone?

"Kris" wrote in message
[...]

The TG's at Giant's stadium used to be awesome. You could walk around the
parking lot and socialize and trade food.
The TG squad now patrols the lot and dampers the fun a little. They want you
in your own spot and not in a an adjacent parking space.
So your setup has to be in the same parking spot as your car. I tow a
trailer and take 1.5 spots. I tell them I drove two vehicles to the game and
need two spots.
So far just a sideways look and they leave.

Tom

U.N. 12-09-2009 09:16 PM

Tailgating anyone?

Tailgating in the driveway sounds like the way to do it!

You'll be able to offer all your guests the comforts of home (such as
a restroom, etc) during the tailgating session. And then, no matter
how hammered everyone gets, your group can just walk to the game, then
walk back and have a place to finish sobering up before they have to
drive.

That's how -I- see it anyways.

-J

Nancy Young[_2_] 13-09-2009 02:05 AM

Tailgating anyone?

Tom Biasi wrote:

The TG's at Giant's stadium used to be awesome. You could walk around
the parking lot and socialize and trade food.
The TG squad now patrols the lot and dampers the fun a little. They
want you in your own spot and not in a an adjacent parking space.
So your setup has to be in the same parking spot as your car. I tow a
trailer and take 1.5 spots. I tell them I drove two vehicles to the
game and need two spots.
So far just a sideways look and they leave.

Isn't parking still tight because they built a new stadium? It might ease
up after things settle down.

Today at my game, long story short I wound up waiting in the outdoor
stairwells to keep out of the rain. The stairs overlooked the
handicapped parking area. Something caught my eye and I realized
that people were parked in handicapped and taking up the next
space (or two) with their canopies and their other tailgating stuff.

People who also had handicap rights kept driving by slowly
looking for a spot. One guy finally got a group to move their
stuff so they could squeeeeeze into the space. Then he helped
his elderly passenger with double leg amputations into his
wheelchair to go into the game.

Imagine? Of all people, shouldn't the people who use handicapped
parking know not to take up extra spaces?? It's a different matter
from your situation where some people do wind up taking up
extra spots. I don't understand why the police weren't right
there writing tickets.

See what you did, set me off. (laugh)

nancy

ffu[_3_] 13-09-2009 02:51 AM

Tailgating anyone?

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 21:05:20 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

--Tom Biasi wrote:
--
[...]

They do it because they think they can, we have the same probnlem here

Gloria P 13-09-2009 04:30 AM

Tailgating anyone?

Tom Biasi wrote:

The TG's at Giant's stadium used to be awesome. You could walk around the
parking lot and socialize and trade food.
The TG squad now patrols the lot and dampers the fun a little. They want you
in your own spot and not in a an adjacent parking space.
So your setup has to be in the same parking spot as your car. I tow a
trailer and take 1.5 spots. I tell them I drove two vehicles to the game and
need two spots.
So far just a sideways look and they leave.

Do you pay for two parking spaces when you bring a trailer?

gloria p

Dan Abel 13-09-2009 05:23 AM

Tailgating anyone?

In article ,
"Nancy Young" wrote:

Tom Biasi wrote:

The TG's at Giant's stadium used to be awesome. You could walk around
the parking lot and socialize and trade food.
The TG squad now patrols the lot and dampers the fun a little. They
want you in your own spot and not in a an adjacent parking space.
So your setup has to be in the same parking spot as your car. I tow a
trailer and take 1.5 spots. I tell them I drove two vehicles to the
game and need two spots.
So far just a sideways look and they leave.

Isn't parking still tight because they built a new stadium? It might ease
up after things settle down.

The stadium is almost in downtown San Francisco. It's *never* going to
settle down there. That's just a high density area. We take the ferry
to the game. Close parking costs more than the ticket to the game. The
old stadium (which is still there, but not used for baseball anymore),
is in a lower density area.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Tom Biasi[_2_] 13-09-2009 11:17 PM

Tailgating anyone?

"Gloria P" wrote in message
Tom Biasi wrote:

The TG's at Giant's stadium used to be awesome. You could walk around the
parking lot and socialize and trade food.
The TG squad now patrols the lot and dampers the fun a little. They want
you in your own spot and not in a an adjacent parking space.
So your setup has to be in the same parking spot as your car. I tow a
trailer and take 1.5 spots. I tell them I drove two vehicles to the game
and need two spots.
So far just a sideways look and they leave.

Do you pay for two parking spaces when you bring a trailer?

gloria p

If I do, then there is no issue, it's my space. Sometimes in the past the
parking guy would just say, "Keep it tight". Then I was at their graces.

Tom

Andy[_15_] 13-09-2009 11:32 PM

Tailgating anyone?

Tom Biasi said...

"Gloria P" wrote in message
Tom Biasi wrote:

The TG's at Giant's stadium used to be awesome. You could walk around
the parking lot and socialize and trade food.
The TG squad now patrols the lot and dampers the fun a little. They
want you in your own spot and not in a an adjacent parking space.
So your setup has to be in the same parking spot as your car. I tow a
trailer and take 1.5 spots. I tell them I drove two vehicles to the
game and need two spots.
So far just a sideways look and they leave.

Do you pay for two parking spaces when you bring a trailer?

gloria p

If I do, then there is no issue, it's my space. Sometimes in the past
the parking guy would just say, "Keep it tight". Then I was at their
graces.

Tom

Tom,

Maybe five years ago I was invited to a Giants game to tailgate and watch
the game. Of all things I offered to bring they said "bring donuts." WTF???
From Philly,??? I could've brought cheesesteaks. Turned out the kids went
to town on the donuts.

It was genuinely a grand time!

I forget who the Giant's played or who won but I remember tailgating!!!
First and only time!

Best,

Andy
--
I'm no longer a danger to society.

Un-Yawn 14-09-2009 02:00 AM

Tailgating anyone?

"Andy" wrote in message ...
Tom Biasi said...

"Gloria P" wrote in message
Do you pay for two parking spaces when you bring a trailer?

gloria p

If I do, then there is no issue, it's my space. Sometimes in the past
the parking guy would just say, "Keep it tight". Then I was at their
graces.

Tom

Tom,

Maybe five years ago I was invited to a Giants game to tailgate and watch
the game. Of all things I offered to bring they said "bring donuts."
WTF???
From Philly,??? I could've brought cheesesteaks. Turned out the kids went
to town on the donuts.

It was genuinely a grand time!

I forget who the Giant's played or who won but I remember tailgating!!!
First and only time!

I cannot imagine that they wouldn't have invited you back.

Best,

Andy
--
I will no longer be a danger to society when I croak.

blake murphy[_2_] 15-09-2009 07:22 PM

Tailgating anyone?

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 21:00:45 -0400, Un-Yawn wrote:

"Andy" wrote in message ...
Tom Biasi said...

"Gloria P" wrote in message
Do you pay for two parking spaces when you bring a trailer?

gloria p

If I do, then there is no issue, it's my space. Sometimes in the past
the parking guy would just say, "Keep it tight". Then I was at their
graces.

Tom

Tom,

Maybe five years ago I was invited to a Giants game to tailgate and watch
the game. Of all things I offered to bring they said "bring donuts."
WTF???
From Philly,??? I could've brought cheesesteaks. Turned out the kids went
to town on the donuts.

It was genuinely a grand time!

I forget who the Giant's played or who won but I remember tailgating!!!
First and only time!

I cannot imagine that they wouldn't have invited you back.

snort

your pal,
blake

sueb 15-09-2009 09:43 PM

Tailgating anyone?

On Sep 12, 9:23*pm, Dan Abel wrote:
In article ,
*"Nancy Young" wrote:

Tom Biasi wrote:

[...]

Nobody tailgates for baseball - it's a football thing. So in San
Francisco, it's still going on at Candlestick (or whatever they've
renamed it to this week), because the Niners still play there. Biasi
is referring to the NY Giants.

But in the Bay Area, the place to tailgate is the Coliseum before
Raiders games. For some reason, Raider fans are into tailgating big
time - there's great stuff every weekend out in that parking lot!

Susan B.