General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-09-2009, 04:14 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 946
Default Tailgating anyone?

Good morning all,

This lovely fall weather and college football starting has been making
me think of maybe having a tailgate.

I've only ever brought a contribution to one before, not actually
organized one.

I might even "cheat" and have it in my driveway (I know, it's lame,
but I live two blocks aways from the local high school field so it's a
close subtitute).

When I think of tailgates, I think of:

bloody marys and/or pony keg
chili con queso w/ tortilla chips
some sort of soup
brats (maybe sauerkraut too?)
chili
Some sort of hold-in-hand-to-eat dessert (like cookies or bars)

Has anyone else hosted one? Or been to one that had a great menu?
Recipe & planning ideas welcome.

Go Michigan State,
Kris


  #2 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-09-2009, 04:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,651
Default Tailgating anyone?

Kris wrote:

I might even "cheat" and have it in my driveway (I know, it's lame,
but I live two blocks aways from the local high school field so it's a
close subtitute).

When I think of tailgates, I think of:

bloody marys and/or pony keg
chili con queso w/ tortilla chips
some sort of soup
brats (maybe sauerkraut too?)
chili
Some sort of hold-in-hand-to-eat dessert (like cookies or bars)

Has anyone else hosted one? Or been to one that had a great menu?
Recipe & planning ideas welcome.


Today's tailgate is washed out, but I had all my ingredients for
stromboli ready (pizza dough, prosciutto, salami, pastrami, hot peppers),
so I made them anyway. Froze one, baked the other and had that for
lunch. Unfortunately my brain let me down at the last minute and I
forgot to eggwash the outside of the stromboli before baking it. Tasted
great, looked anemic. Oh, well.

Last week it was a big bricked sandwich with the same salami &
prosciutto, artichoke hearts, goat cheese, basil and tapenade.
Other stuff I likely forget.

nancy
  #3 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-09-2009, 05:27 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 946
Default Tailgating anyone?

On Sep 12, 11:31*am, "Nancy Young" wrote:
Kris wrote:
I might even "cheat" and have it in my driveway (I know, it's lame,
but I live two blocks aways from the local high school field so it's a
close subtitute).


When I think of tailgates, I think of:


bloody marys and/or pony keg
chili con queso w/ tortilla chips
some sort of soup
brats (maybe sauerkraut too?)
chili
Some sort of hold-in-hand-to-eat dessert (like cookies or bars)


Has anyone else hosted one? Or been to one that had a great menu?
Recipe & planning ideas welcome.


Today's tailgate is washed out, but I had all my ingredients for
stromboli ready (pizza dough, prosciutto, salami, pastrami, hot peppers),
so I made them anyway. *Froze one, baked the other and had that for
lunch. *Unfortunately my brain let me down at the last minute and I
forgot to eggwash the outside of the stromboli before baking it. *Tasted
great, looked anemic. *Oh, well.

Last week it was a big bricked sandwich with the same salami &
prosciutto, artichoke hearts, goat cheese, basil and tapenade.
Other stuff I likely forget. * *

nancy *- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


Those both sound good! How do you transport the stromboli (pale or
otherwise)?

Kris
  #4 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-09-2009, 05:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,651
Default Tailgating anyone?

Kris wrote:
On Sep 12, 11:31 am, "Nancy Young" wrote:


Today's tailgate is washed out, but I had all my ingredients for
stromboli ready (pizza dough, prosciutto, salami, pastrami, hot
peppers), so I made them anyway. Froze one, baked the other and had
that for lunch. Unfortunately my brain let me down at the last
minute and I forgot to eggwash the outside of the stromboli before
baking it. Tasted great, looked anemic. Oh, well.


Those both sound good! How do you transport the stromboli (pale or
otherwise)?


I wrap it in foil, then in a towel or something. It doesn't need to
stay hot or warm for longer than 45 minutes to an hour.

And I'm easy, I'd even eat it cold. Heh.

nancy
  #5 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-09-2009, 08:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 202
Default Tailgating anyone?


"Kris" wrote in message
...
Good morning all,

This lovely fall weather and college football starting has been making
me think of maybe having a tailgate.

I've only ever brought a contribution to one before, not actually
organized one.

I might even "cheat" and have it in my driveway (I know, it's lame,
but I live two blocks aways from the local high school field so it's a
close subtitute).

When I think of tailgates, I think of:

bloody marys and/or pony keg
chili con queso w/ tortilla chips
some sort of soup
brats (maybe sauerkraut too?)
chili
Some sort of hold-in-hand-to-eat dessert (like cookies or bars)

Has anyone else hosted one? Or been to one that had a great menu?
Recipe & planning ideas welcome.

Go Michigan State,
Kris


The TG's at Giant's stadium used to be awesome. You could walk around the
parking lot and socialize and trade food.
The TG squad now patrols the lot and dampers the fun a little. They want you
in your own spot and not in a an adjacent parking space.
So your setup has to be in the same parking spot as your car. I tow a
trailer and take 1.5 spots. I tell them I drove two vehicles to the game and
need two spots.
So far just a sideways look and they leave.

Tom




  #6 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 12-09-2009, 09:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 46
Default Tailgating anyone?

Tailgating in the driveway sounds like the way to do it!

You'll be able to offer all your guests the comforts of home (such as
a restroom, etc) during the tailgating session. And then, no matter
how hammered everyone gets, your group can just walk to the game, then
walk back and have a place to finish sobering up before they have to
drive.

That's how -I- see it anyways.

-J
  #7 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 13-09-2009, 02:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,651
Default Tailgating anyone?

Tom Biasi wrote:

The TG's at Giant's stadium used to be awesome. You could walk around
the parking lot and socialize and trade food.
The TG squad now patrols the lot and dampers the fun a little. They
want you in your own spot and not in a an adjacent parking space.
So your setup has to be in the same parking spot as your car. I tow a
trailer and take 1.5 spots. I tell them I drove two vehicles to the
game and need two spots.
So far just a sideways look and they leave.


Isn't parking still tight because they built a new stadium? It might ease
up after things settle down.

Today at my game, long story short I wound up waiting in the outdoor
stairwells to keep out of the rain. The stairs overlooked the
handicapped parking area. Something caught my eye and I realized
that people were parked in handicapped and taking up the next
space (or two) with their canopies and their other tailgating stuff.

People who also had handicap rights kept driving by slowly
looking for a spot. One guy finally got a group to move their
stuff so they could squeeeeeze into the space. Then he helped
his elderly passenger with double leg amputations into his
wheelchair to go into the game.

Imagine? Of all people, shouldn't the people who use handicapped
parking know not to take up extra spaces?? It's a different matter
from your situation where some people do wind up taking up
extra spots. I don't understand why the police weren't right
there writing tickets.

See what you did, set me off. (laugh)

nancy


  #8 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 13-09-2009, 02:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 51
Default Tailgating anyone?

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 21:05:20 -0400, "Nancy Young"
wrote:

--Tom Biasi wrote:
--
-- The TG's at Giant's stadium used to be awesome. You could walk around
-- the parking lot and socialize and trade food.
-- The TG squad now patrols the lot and dampers the fun a little. They
-- want you in your own spot and not in a an adjacent parking space.
-- So your setup has to be in the same parking spot as your car. I tow a
-- trailer and take 1.5 spots. I tell them I drove two vehicles to the
-- game and need two spots.
-- So far just a sideways look and they leave.
--
--Isn't parking still tight because they built a new stadium? It might ease
--up after things settle down.
--
--Today at my game, long story short I wound up waiting in the outdoor
--stairwells to keep out of the rain. The stairs overlooked the
--handicapped parking area. Something caught my eye and I realized
--that people were parked in handicapped and taking up the next
--space (or two) with their canopies and their other tailgating stuff.
--
--People who also had handicap rights kept driving by slowly
--looking for a spot. One guy finally got a group to move their
--stuff so they could squeeeeeze into the space. Then he helped
--his elderly passenger with double leg amputations into his
--wheelchair to go into the game.
--
--Imagine? Of all people, shouldn't the people who use handicapped
--parking know not to take up extra spaces?? It's a different matter
--from your situation where some people do wind up taking up
--extra spots. I don't understand why the police weren't right
--there writing tickets.
--
--See what you did, set me off. (laugh)
--
--nancy
--


They do it because they think they can, we have the same probnlem here
  #9 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 13-09-2009, 04:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,994
Default Tailgating anyone?

Tom Biasi wrote:


The TG's at Giant's stadium used to be awesome. You could walk around the
parking lot and socialize and trade food.
The TG squad now patrols the lot and dampers the fun a little. They want you
in your own spot and not in a an adjacent parking space.
So your setup has to be in the same parking spot as your car. I tow a
trailer and take 1.5 spots. I tell them I drove two vehicles to the game and
need two spots.
So far just a sideways look and they leave.



Do you pay for two parking spaces when you bring a trailer?

gloria p
  #10 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 13-09-2009, 05:23 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 7,545
Default Tailgating anyone?

In article ,
"Nancy Young" wrote:

Tom Biasi wrote:

The TG's at Giant's stadium used to be awesome. You could walk around
the parking lot and socialize and trade food.
The TG squad now patrols the lot and dampers the fun a little. They
want you in your own spot and not in a an adjacent parking space.
So your setup has to be in the same parking spot as your car. I tow a
trailer and take 1.5 spots. I tell them I drove two vehicles to the
game and need two spots.
So far just a sideways look and they leave.


Isn't parking still tight because they built a new stadium? It might ease
up after things settle down.


The stadium is almost in downtown San Francisco. It's *never* going to
settle down there. That's just a high density area. We take the ferry
to the game. Close parking costs more than the ticket to the game. The
old stadium (which is still there, but not used for baseball anymore),
is in a lower density area.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA



  #11 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 13-09-2009, 11:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 202
Default Tailgating anyone?


"Gloria P" wrote in message
...
Tom Biasi wrote:


The TG's at Giant's stadium used to be awesome. You could walk around the
parking lot and socialize and trade food.
The TG squad now patrols the lot and dampers the fun a little. They want
you in your own spot and not in a an adjacent parking space.
So your setup has to be in the same parking spot as your car. I tow a
trailer and take 1.5 spots. I tell them I drove two vehicles to the game
and need two spots.
So far just a sideways look and they leave.



Do you pay for two parking spaces when you bring a trailer?

gloria p


If I do, then there is no issue, it's my space. Sometimes in the past the
parking guy would just say, "Keep it tight". Then I was at their graces.

Tom


  #12 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 13-09-2009, 11:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 12,295
Default Tailgating anyone?

Tom Biasi said...


"Gloria P" wrote in message
...
Tom Biasi wrote:


The TG's at Giant's stadium used to be awesome. You could walk around
the parking lot and socialize and trade food.
The TG squad now patrols the lot and dampers the fun a little. They
want you in your own spot and not in a an adjacent parking space.
So your setup has to be in the same parking spot as your car. I tow a
trailer and take 1.5 spots. I tell them I drove two vehicles to the
game and need two spots.
So far just a sideways look and they leave.



Do you pay for two parking spaces when you bring a trailer?

gloria p


If I do, then there is no issue, it's my space. Sometimes in the past
the parking guy would just say, "Keep it tight". Then I was at their
graces.

Tom



Tom,

Maybe five years ago I was invited to a Giants game to tailgate and watch
the game. Of all things I offered to bring they said "bring donuts." WTF???
From Philly,??? I could've brought cheesesteaks. Turned out the kids went
to town on the donuts.

It was genuinely a grand time!

I forget who the Giant's played or who won but I remember tailgating!!!
First and only time!

Best,

Andy
--
I'm no longer a danger to society.
  #13 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 14-09-2009, 02:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 14
Default Tailgating anyone?


"Andy" wrote in message ...
Tom Biasi said...


"Gloria P" wrote in message
...
Do you pay for two parking spaces when you bring a trailer?

gloria p


If I do, then there is no issue, it's my space. Sometimes in the past
the parking guy would just say, "Keep it tight". Then I was at their
graces.

Tom



Tom,

Maybe five years ago I was invited to a Giants game to tailgate and watch
the game. Of all things I offered to bring they said "bring donuts."
WTF???
From Philly,??? I could've brought cheesesteaks. Turned out the kids went
to town on the donuts.

It was genuinely a grand time!

I forget who the Giant's played or who won but I remember tailgating!!!
First and only time!


I cannot imagine that they wouldn't have invited you back.


Best,

Andy
--
I will no longer be a danger to society when I croak.




  #14 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-09-2009, 07:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 19,959
Default Tailgating anyone?

On Sun, 13 Sep 2009 21:00:45 -0400, Un-Yawn wrote:

"Andy" wrote in message ...
Tom Biasi said...


"Gloria P" wrote in message
...
Do you pay for two parking spaces when you bring a trailer?

gloria p

If I do, then there is no issue, it's my space. Sometimes in the past
the parking guy would just say, "Keep it tight". Then I was at their
graces.

Tom



Tom,

Maybe five years ago I was invited to a Giants game to tailgate and watch
the game. Of all things I offered to bring they said "bring donuts."
WTF???
From Philly,??? I could've brought cheesesteaks. Turned out the kids went
to town on the donuts.

It was genuinely a grand time!

I forget who the Giant's played or who won but I remember tailgating!!!
First and only time!


I cannot imagine that they wouldn't have invited you back.


snort

your pal,
blake
  #15 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 15-09-2009, 09:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 240
Default Tailgating anyone?

On Sep 12, 9:23*pm, Dan Abel wrote:
In article ,
*"Nancy Young" wrote:

Tom Biasi wrote:


The TG's at Giant's stadium used to be awesome. You could walk around
the parking lot and socialize and trade food.
The TG squad now patrols the lot and dampers the fun a little. They
want you in your own spot and not in a an adjacent parking space.
So your setup has to be in the same parking spot as your car. I tow a
trailer and take 1.5 spots. I tell them I drove two vehicles to the
game and need two spots.
So far just a sideways look and they leave.


Isn't parking still tight because they built a new stadium? *It might ease
up after things settle down.


The stadium is almost in downtown San Francisco. *It's *never* going to
settle down there. *That's just a high density area. *We take the ferry
to the game. *Close parking costs more than the ticket to the game. *The
old stadium (which is still there, but not used for baseball anymore),
is in a lower density area.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA


Nobody tailgates for baseball - it's a football thing. So in San
Francisco, it's still going on at Candlestick (or whatever they've
renamed it to this week), because the Niners still play there. Biasi
is referring to the NY Giants.

But in the Bay Area, the place to tailgate is the Coliseum before
Raiders games. For some reason, Raider fans are into tailgating big
time - there's great stuff every weekend out in that parking lot!

Susan B.


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cool little portable hibachi for travel/tailgating tutall Barbecue 6 24-08-2010 04:18 AM
BBQ Tailgating Ekal Byar Barbecue 0 28-12-2009 11:33 PM
This week's tailgating Nancy Young General Cooking 5 23-09-2006 11:20 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:38 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2022 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017