Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default USDA publication on "food deserts"

Not ice cream sundaes and panna cotta desserts, but arid lifeless
deserts -- places where the only place to buy something to eat is a
quick shop that specializes in beer and cigarettes.
http://www.ers.usda.gov/Publications/ap/ap036/

Fun fact: 33% of people living in low income areas also live more than
a mile from a supermarket.
--

modom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"modom (palindrome guy)" wrote:

> Not ice cream sundaes and panna cotta desserts, but arid lifeless
> deserts -- places where the only place to buy something to eat is a
> quick shop that specializes in beer and cigarettes.
> http://www.ers.usda.gov/Publications/ap/ap036/
>
> Fun fact: 33% of people living in low income areas also live more than
> a mile from a supermarket.
> --
>
> modom

Yes, I've seen areas with that issue. I've also seen a couple cases
where a large grocery chain opened a shiny new store in such an area
trying to "do the right thing", only to have to close the store a few
years later due to all the shoplifting, robberies, vandalism, gang
activity in their parking lot, etc.