Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default trying to fix Penang curry bought yesterday + My visit to farmer'smarket today

Yesterday went to a Thai restaurant that I went about 4 weeks ago.
That time, 4 weeks ago at dinner time, I ordered green curry
(chicken), requesting to cut down the coconut milk to half the normal
amount they used and to make it Thai hot. It was excellent. The vege
used was Asian squash (green).

Hoping that I'd get to do the same, I went there yesterday, and the
same man was not there. So, I told the woman to cut the coconut milk
to half, ordering Penang curry. Her face was seemed puzzled and so I
realized that the curry broth/gravy must have been made already and
since they were a bit busy, I said "never mind". I also forgot to tell
her to make it hot.

So, there it was, my Penang curry, almost sweet with overwhelming
flavor of coconut milk. It had red a few pieces of bell pepper and
thinly sliced round pieces of carrot. I brought the left over home,
thinking that I would just add my red curry paste, adding more chicken
and tone the coconut milk flavor down.

Today, I went to Farmer's market and bought Oriental purple eggplant,
Asian green beans, Asian squash and green bell pepper. I didn't see
red bell pepper at the stands I went to. I also bought $1.00 worth
of Thai chilies (green and red mixed). I also bought. Thai basil,
cilantro, and mint jus because they smelled good. I will use cilantro
in the fish curry (Burmese style) I plan to make. Sometime this week,
I will use mint in making cucumber salad in yogurt to go with Chicken
Pilaf I plan to make if I get time.

So, this is what I am thinking to do. Make two Thai dishes, splitting
the gravy curry of the left over Penang curry, adding spice and
ingredient needed to make it taste good.

- First one: I am thinking to use red curry paste that I have, garlic,
and red Thai chilies (paste made in blender) to fry the chicken a bit,
then adding thinly sliced round carrot, an inch long sliced Asian
green beans, and an inch long sliced eggplant, finally adding the left
over Penang curry gravy to get coconut milk flavor. I don't know
whether I should add some basil to this dish.

- Second one: I was thinking to make a green looking curry using Thai
green chilies (paste made in blender) to fry Chicken a bit, ten Asian
squash, and bell pepper, finally adding the left over Penang curry
gravy for the cocontu flavor. I looked online for making Thai green
chilies paste but I don't have lemon grass and also, too much work
anyway. So, for this one, I need suggestion to make this curry appear
green and reasonably tasty w/o having to make a trip to go buy green
chilli paste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Yummy Thai curry - trying to fix Penang curry bought yesterday +

On Aug 23, 4:03*pm, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> Yesterday went to a Thai restaurant that I went about 4 weeks ago.
> That time, 4 weeks ago at dinner time, I ordered green curry
> (chicken), requesting to cut down the coconut milk to half the normal
> amount they used and to make it Thai hot. *It was excellent. The vege
> used was Asian squash (green).
>
> Hoping that I'd get to do the same, I went there yesterday, and the
> same man was not there. So, I told the woman to cut the coconut milk
> to half, ordering Penang curry. Her face was seemed puzzled and so I
> realized that the curry broth/gravy must have been made already and
> since they were a bit busy, I said "never mind". I also forgot to tell
> her to make it hot.
>
> So, there it was, my Penang curry, almost sweet with overwhelming
> flavor of coconut milk. It had red a few pieces of bell pepper and
> thinly sliced round pieces of carrot. I brought the left over home,
> thinking that I would just add my red curry paste, adding more chicken
> and tone the coconut milk flavor down.
>
> Today, I went to Farmer's market and bought Oriental purple eggplant,
> Asian green beans, Asian squash and green bell pepper. I didn't see
> red bell pepper at the stands I went to. * I also bought $1.00 worth
> of Thai chilies (green and red mixed). *I also bought. Thai basil,
> cilantro, and mint jus because they smelled good. I will use cilantro
> in the fish curry (Burmese style) I plan to make. Sometime this week,
> I will use mint in making cucumber salad in yogurt to go with Chicken
> Pilaf I plan to make if I get time.
>
> So, this is what I am thinking to do. Make two Thai dishes, splitting
> the gravy curry of the left over Penang curry, adding spice and
> ingredient needed to make it taste good.
>
> - First one: I am thinking to use red curry paste that I have, garlic,
> and red Thai chilies (paste made in blender) to fry the chicken a bit,
> then adding thinly sliced round carrot, an inch long sliced Asian
> green beans, and an inch long sliced eggplant, finally adding the left
> over Penang curry gravy to get coconut milk flavor. I don't know
> whether I should add some basil to this dish.

I made the one above but I used all the gravy from the left over
Penang curry. I put both basil and cilantro leave at the end of
cooking. So, I'll have to think of something else to use my Asian
squash, already peeled and cut.

> - Second one: I was thinking to make a green looking curry using Thai
> green chilies (paste made in blender) to fry Chicken a bit, ten Asian
> squash, and bell pepper, finally adding the left over Penang curry
> gravy for the cocontu flavor. *I looked online for making Thai green
> chilies paste but I don't have lemon grass and also, too much work
> anyway. So, for this one, I need suggestion to make this curry appear
> green and reasonably tasty w/o having to make a trip to go buy green
> chilli paste.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby wrote:

> I need suggestion ......

I suggest you take a more polite approach to expressing your regional
chauvinism.

> What about a thrid option of making fun of the Americans? I can
> live with that cus they deserve it.

At least if you expect any sort of rational dialogue.

If you are as schizophrenic as your posting style then good luck with
that, but i wont read a contributor who fluctuates between flaming nut
case & concerned foodie. Besides which we have one of those already, we
don't need another sheldon.
--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.
Let the games begin!
http://fredeeky.typepad.com/fredeeky.../sf_anthem.mp3

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Manda Ruby wrote:

> Today, I went to Farmer's market and bought Oriental purple eggplant,
> Asian green beans, Asian squash and green bell pepper. I didn't see
> red bell pepper at the stands I went to. I also bought $1.00 worth
> of Thai chilies (green and red mixed). I also bought. Thai basil,
> cilantro, and mint jus because they smelled good. I will use cilantro
> in the fish curry (Burmese style) I plan to make. Sometime this week,
> I will use mint in making cucumber salad in yogurt to go with Chicken
> Pilaf I plan to make if I get time.

Of course, an authentic Penang curry will also have
a few spoonfuls of brown sugar in it.

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/16587/penang+curry

http://jugalbandi.info/2008/06/a-pea...-penang-curry/

http://www.thederyck.com/ambiguous_r.../09/index.html

Beware the so-called "Penang" curries from Thailand!
Penang is in Malaysia.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Obviously, Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. considers himself an average
American. I guess I was wrong to assume that no one in this forum
would fit in that "average" category.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 23, 5:48*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Manda Ruby wrote:
>
> > Today, I went to Farmer's market and bought Oriental purple eggplant,
> > Asian green beans, Asian squash and green bell pepper. I didn't see
> > red bell pepper at the stands I went to. * I also bought $1.00 worth
> > of Thai chilies (green and red mixed). *I also bought. Thai basil,
> > cilantro, and mint jus because they smelled good. I will use cilantro
> > in the fish curry (Burmese style) I plan to make. Sometime this week,
> > I will use mint in making cucumber salad in yogurt to go with Chicken
> > Pilaf I plan to make if I get time.

> Of course, an authentic Penang curry will also have
> a few spoonfuls of brown sugar in it.
>
> http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/16587/penang+curry
>
> http://jugalbandi.info/2008/06/a-pea...-penang-curry/
>
> http://www.thederyck.com/ambiguous_r.../09/index.html
>
> Beware the so-called "Penang" curries from Thailand!
> Penang is in Malaysia.

I know. I am originally from SE Asia.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 23, 5:48*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Manda Ruby wrote:
>
> > Today, I went to Farmer's market and bought Oriental purple eggplant,
> > Asian green beans, Asian squash and green bell pepper. I didn't see
> > red bell pepper at the stands I went to. * I also bought $1.00 worth
> > of Thai chilies (green and red mixed). *I also bought. Thai basil,
> > cilantro, and mint jus because they smelled good. I will use cilantro
> > in the fish curry (Burmese style) I plan to make. Sometime this week,
> > I will use mint in making cucumber salad in yogurt to go with Chicken
> > Pilaf I plan to make if I get time.

> Of course, an authentic Penang curry will also have
> a few spoonfuls of brown sugar in it.
>
> http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/16587/penang+curry

Thanks for the links. The above looks so appetizing.I shall make that.

> http://jugalbandi.info/2008/06/a-pea...-penang-curry/
>
> http://www.thederyck.com/ambiguous_r.../09/index.html

> Beware the so-called "Penang" curries from Thailand!
> Penang is in Malaysia.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Manda Ruby > wrote:

> Obviously, Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. considers himself an average
> American. I guess I was wrong to assume that no one in this forum
> would fit in that "average" category.

I see you are new here. <g>
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Manda Ruby > wrote:

> On Aug 23, 5:48*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> > Manda Ruby wrote:
> >
> > > Today, I went to Farmer's market and bought Oriental purple eggplant,
> > > Asian green beans, Asian squash and green bell pepper. I didn't see
> > > red bell pepper at the stands I went to. * I also bought $1.00 worth
> > > of Thai chilies (green and red mixed). *I also bought. Thai basil,
> > > cilantro, and mint jus because they smelled good. I will use cilantro
> > > in the fish curry (Burmese style) I plan to make. Sometime this week,
> > > I will use mint in making cucumber salad in yogurt to go with Chicken
> > > Pilaf I plan to make if I get time.

> > Of course, an authentic Penang curry will also have
> > a few spoonfuls of brown sugar in it.
> >
> > http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/16587/penang+curry
> >
> > http://jugalbandi.info/2008/06/a-pea...-penang-curry/
> >
> > http://www.thederyck.com/ambiguous ramblings of a /2008/09/index.html
> >
> > Beware the so-called "Penang" curries from Thailand!
> > Penang is in Malaysia.

> I know. I am originally from SE Asia.

Very cool!

And welcome. :-)
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om replied to "Manda Ruby":

>> I know. I am originally from SE Asia.

> Very cool!
>
> And welcome. :-)

Don't you mean "welcome back"? Isn't "Manda Ruby" the same person who wore
out her welcome posting as amandaF?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om replied to "Manda Ruby":
>
> >> I know. I am originally from SE Asia.

> > Very cool!
> >
> > And welcome. :-)

> Don't you mean "welcome back"? Isn't "Manda Ruby" the same person who wore
> out her welcome posting as amandaF?
>
> Bob

I've no idea. I don't usually pay attention to those things.

If somebody wants a second chance, I'm willing to give it to them.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe: