Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default BBQ nachos

Took younger daughter to university yesterday (I'm sure that wife
feels 'we abandoned her there'...). And my sister happened to be
within shouting distance, visiting her in-laws. So we all had lunch
at a local restaurant. Out of curiosity I ordered the "BBQ Nachos."
Tortilla chips topped with pulled-pork BBQ, sauce, BBQ baked beans,
onion, jalapenos, cheddar and ?provolone? (not sure). 1000 island
served on the side.

Unusual but darned good! It made me think of other potential nacho
combinations. How about chicken-divan nachos, with chicken and
broccoli and sauce atop chips? (crackers might be better) Alfredo
nachos, perhaps with some chopped asparagus and chicken along with the
alfredo sauce?

Other combinations? How about substitutes for tortilla chips?

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 23, 11:43*am, Terry > wrote:
> Took younger daughter to university yesterday (I'm sure that wife
> feels 'we abandoned her there'...). *And my sister happened to be
> within shouting distance, visiting her in-laws. *So we all had lunch
> at a local restaurant. *Out of curiosity I ordered the "BBQ Nachos."
> Tortilla chips topped with pulled-pork BBQ, sauce, BBQ baked beans,
> onion, jalapenos, cheddar and ?provolone? (not sure). *1000 island
> served on the side.

"1000 Island on the side?!" Ew!

Ew! Ew! Ew!

The cheese could have been monterey jack.

> Unusual but darned good! *It made me think of other potential nacho
> combinations. *How about chicken-divan nachos, with chicken and
> broccoli and sauce atop chips? *(crackers might be better) *Alfredo
> nachos, perhaps with some chopped asparagus and chicken along with the
> alfredo sauce?
>
> Other combinations? *How about substitutes for tortilla chips?

We do "super nachos" every once in a while at Castle Ranger. Warm up
the tortilla chips in the oven, pork chili, jalapenos and Anaheims
sliced and randomly arranged across the top, guac and crème fraîche
(the daughter-units dislike sour cream and can immediately detect when
I add it to a dish), scallions and red onions diced up and randomly
added to the mountain, salsa roja or salsa verde (Herdez!), refried
beans, and finally topped with cheddar and Monterey. I then set each
mountain under the broiler to melt the cheeses and toast the onions.
Never seem to have enough as the daughter-units and any guests always

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry > wrote:

> Took younger daughter to university yesterday (I'm sure that wife
> feels 'we abandoned her there'...). And my sister happened to be
> within shouting distance, visiting her in-laws. So we all had lunch
> at a local restaurant. Out of curiosity I ordered the "BBQ Nachos."
> Tortilla chips topped with pulled-pork BBQ, sauce, BBQ baked beans,
> onion, jalapenos, cheddar and ?provolone? (not sure). 1000 island
> served on the side.
>
> Unusual but darned good! It made me think of other potential nacho
> combinations. How about chicken-divan nachos, with chicken and
> broccoli and sauce atop chips? (crackers might be better) Alfredo
> nachos, perhaps with some chopped asparagus and chicken along with the
> alfredo sauce?
>
> Other combinations? How about substitutes for tortilla chips?
>
> Best -- Terry

There is no substitute for Tortilla chips imho. :-)

That meal sounds good!
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry > wrote:

> Took younger daughter to university yesterday (I'm sure that wife
> feels 'we abandoned her there'...). And my sister happened to be
> within shouting distance, visiting her in-laws. So we all had lunch
> at a local restaurant. Out of curiosity I ordered the "BBQ Nachos."
> Tortilla chips topped with pulled-pork BBQ, sauce, BBQ baked beans,
> onion, jalapenos, cheddar and ?provolone? (not sure). 1000 island
> served on the side.

That is basically the Terry Black creation out at Super Smokers. I had
a a couple of times before he went out of business on his original
business model. Dang good stuff, but I passed on the Thou Isle, went
with extra BBQ sauce instead.

jt
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 14:39:21 -0500, jt august
> wrote:

>That is basically the Terry Black creation out at Super Smokers. I had
>a a couple of times before he went out of business on his original
>business model. Dang good stuff, but I passed on the Thou Isle, went
>with extra BBQ sauce instead.
>
>jt

Agreed, I passed on the 1000 Isle as well, but it was there if I'd
wanted to try it.

Portions were huge. HUGE. I ate about a third of what was on my
plate...then had a bowl of cereal for dinner six hours later because I
couldn't stomach the thought of anything heavier. Daughter ate a
quarter of her sandwich; wife had half of hers. Sister got a
super-duper baked potato covered with BBQ et al. She never was able
to get down to the potato... Ken (B-I-L) did the best, ate most of
his meatloaf (about a pound ), most of his mashed potatoes & gravy,
and some of the green beans.

Terry