Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default An Interesting Article..

Christine wrote:

> It is long..but it is by Michael Pollan, and he raises some
> interesting points/questions...
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/ma...cooking-t.html

"You want Americans to eat less? I have the diet for you. It's short, and
it's simple. Here's my diet plan: Cook it yourself. That's it. Eat anything
you want - just as long as you're willing to cook it yourself."

Heh...no, like most of us here, I cook much too well for *that* to work!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Christine wrote:
>
> > It is long..but it is by Michael Pollan, and he raises some
> > interesting points/questions...
> >
> > http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/ma...cooking-t.html

> "You want Americans to eat less? I have the diet for you. It's short, and
> it's simple. Here's my diet plan: Cook it yourself. That's it. Eat anything
> you want - just as long as you're willing to cook it yourself."
>

> Heh...no, like most of us here, I cook much too well for *that* to work!
>
> Bob

<chuckles> No kidding...
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
> Christine wrote:
>
>> It is long..but it is by Michael Pollan, and he raises some
>> interesting points/questions...
>>
>> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/ma...cooking-t.html

> "You want Americans to eat less? I have the diet for you. It's short, and
> it's simple. Here's my diet plan: Cook it yourself. That's it. Eat
> anything you want - just as long as you're willing to cook it yourself."
>
> Heh...no, like most of us here, I cook much too well for *that* to work!
>
> Bob

I'm with you, Bob. Cooking for myself was what put on my excess weight in
the first place.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 07:34:25 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:
>
>> Christine wrote:
>>
>>> It is long..but it is by Michael Pollan, and he raises some
>>> interesting points/questions...
>>>
>>> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/ma...cooking-t.html

>> "You want Americans to eat less? I have the diet for you. It's short, and
>> it's simple. Here's my diet plan: Cook it yourself. That's it. Eat anything
>> you want - just as long as you're willing to cook it yourself."
>>
>> Heh...no, like most of us here, I cook much too well for *that* to work!
>>
>> Bob

> <chuckles> No kidding...

but at least the in the time you are cooking, you're not eating (at least
all that much). and i've heard others saying here that (like me), they're
less hungry when they are finished cooking the damned stuff then they were
when they began.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 11:28:07 -0400, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 07:34:25 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
>> In article >,

>>> "You want Americans to eat less? I have the diet for you. It's short, and
>>> it's simple. Here's my diet plan: Cook it yourself. That's it. Eat anything
>>> you want - just as long as you're willing to cook it yourself."
>>>
>>> Heh...no, like most of us here, I cook much too well for *that* to work!
>>>
>>> Bob

>> <chuckles> No kidding...

>but at least the in the time you are cooking, you're not eating (at least
>all that much). and i've heard others saying here that (like me), they're
>less hungry when they are finished cooking the damned stuff then they were
>when they began.

I'm not that way unless I fry and I don't fry anymore. My forever
thin SIL was that way with everything. Couldn't eat after she cooked
and with 5 kids (and their friends), she cooked a lot.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 07:34:25 -0500, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,

> >> "You want Americans to eat less? I have the diet for you. It's short, and
> >> it's simple. Here's my diet plan: Cook it yourself. That's it. Eat
> >> anything
> >> you want - just as long as you're willing to cook it yourself."
> >>
> >> Heh...no, like most of us here, I cook much too well for *that* to work!
> >>
> >> Bob

> > <chuckles> No kidding...

> but at least the in the time you are cooking, you're not eating (at least
> all that much). and i've heard others saying here that (like me), they're
> less hungry when they are finished cooking the damned stuff then they were
> when they began.
>
> your pal,
> blake

That's true... The more elaborate the meal I prepare, the less hungry I
am when I'm done with it and I'm not much of a "taster". There are,
however, generally leftovers to be eaten later.

But, if I fix myself a quick and simple meal (say, a bit of sausage and
eggs that only takes 10 minutes or so which is what I do most of the
time), I always eat a good portion of that.

I seldom clean my plate any more tho'. I've finally managed to develop
the habit of eating more slowly. Either that or I just serve myself
realistic portions. <g>
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 20:42:42 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> blake murphy > wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 07:34:25 -0500, Omelet wrote:

>>> <chuckles> No kidding...

>> but at least the in the time you are cooking, you're not eating (at least
>> all that much). and i've heard others saying here that (like me), they're
>> less hungry when they are finished cooking the damned stuff then they were
>> when they began.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> That's true... The more elaborate the meal I prepare, the less hungry I
> am when I'm done with it and I'm not much of a "taster". There are,
> however, generally leftovers to be eaten later.
>
> But, if I fix myself a quick and simple meal (say, a bit of sausage and
> eggs that only takes 10 minutes or so which is what I do most of the
> time), I always eat a good portion of that.
>
> I seldom clean my plate any more tho'. I've finally managed to develop
> the habit of eating more slowly. Either that or I just serve myself
> realistic portions. <g>

that should serve you well.

i don't know if it's unusual or not, but i never feel like 'omg, i had too
much to eat.' i just reach a point where something clicks like a
thermostat and i say 'that's enough.' i an also a slow eater.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> > That's true... The more elaborate the meal I prepare, the less hungry I
> > am when I'm done with it and I'm not much of a "taster". There are,
> > however, generally leftovers to be eaten later.
> >
> > But, if I fix myself a quick and simple meal (say, a bit of sausage and
> > eggs that only takes 10 minutes or so which is what I do most of the
> > time), I always eat a good portion of that.
> >
> > I seldom clean my plate any more tho'. I've finally managed to develop
> > the habit of eating more slowly. Either that or I just serve myself
> > realistic portions. <g>

> that should serve you well.
>
> i don't know if it's unusual or not, but i never feel like 'omg, i had too
> much to eat.' i just reach a point where something clicks like a
> thermostat and i say 'that's enough.' i an also a slow eater.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Eating slowly really does seem to be a major key in eating less. I
don't like to feel sick when I'm done eating so don't gorge. At least
not any more. I tended to do that when I was younger and simply learned
not to do it.

Snarfing your food does not give your stomach a chance to feel satiated
until it's too late. ;-)

It can be learned behavior.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .

> i don't know if it's unusual or not, but i never feel like 'omg, i had too
> much to eat.' i just reach a point where something clicks like a
> thermostat and i say 'that's enough.' i an also a slow eater.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Yeah, well MY thermostat doesn't click on so I go on eating like the
Energizer Bunny.

I admire you. I hate you, but I admire you.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 3 Aug 2009 13:38:37 -0400, Felice wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
> .. .
>
>> i don't know if it's unusual or not, but i never feel like 'omg, i had too
>> much to eat.' i just reach a point where something clicks like a
>> thermostat and i say 'that's enough.' i an also a slow eater.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Yeah, well MY thermostat doesn't click on so I go on eating like the
> Energizer Bunny.
>
> I admire you. I hate you, but I admire you.
>
> Felice

maybe. i sometimes get looks of concern (if not alarm) from waitresses.
'was there something wrong? do you want something else?'

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Bob Terwilliger wrote:

> Christine wrote:
>
> > It is long..but it is by Michael Pollan, and he raises some
> > interesting points/questions...
> >
> > http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/ma...cooking-t.html

> "You want Americans to eat less? I have the diet for you. It's short, and
> it's simple. Here's my diet plan: Cook it yourself. That's it. Eat anything
> you want - just as long as you're willing to cook it yourself."
>
> Heh...no, like most of us here, I cook much too well for *that* to work!
>
> Bob

Actually, the author has a very good point (I think)! Too many times I
simply cannot decide what I want (to cook) to eat! Therefore, I tend to
skip cooking at all, therefore I do not eat (or snack). Although, I do
like chocolate milk Nesquick rules <G>.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 2, 10:30*am, "Felice" > wrote:
> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message

> > Christine wrote:

> >> It is long..but it is by Michael Pollan, and he raises some
> >> interesting points/questions...

> >>http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/ma...cooking-t.html

> > "You want Americans to eat less? I have the diet for you. It's short, and
> > it's simple. Here's my diet plan: Cook it yourself. That's it. Eat
> > anything you want - just as long as you're willing to cook it yourself."

> > Heh...no, like most of us here, I cook much too well for *that* to work!

> > Bob

> I'm with you, Bob. Cooking for myself was what put on my excess weight in
> the first place.
>
> Felice

I admit, in our household it's the eating out that did most of it. We
eat good breakfasts, lunches are packed and brown-bagged, but too
often we were all going in 6 different directions so to get everyone
in the same place at the same time, we'd go out. The neib has several
good, inexpensive places, Italian, Chinese, chains, all within walking
distance (there's the food court at the mall, but eating there wasn't
much of a family meal, with kidlet wanting to go on the merrygoround,
or later, shopping), so we did get _some_ exercise with our walking,
but until I started to ask for a take-home container with my meal, I
was eating the whole plate, half of which makes a satisfying lunch,
and the other half is fine for dinner, if it's not there in front of
me begging to be eaten.

And that carries over to the home as well. A steak as big as your
hand? Two to three servings, but it looks normal as one serving from
all that restaurant food. Mountains of mashed potatoes? Salads
thoroughly coated with dressing? A boatload of spagetti? No wonder
we gain weight.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 3, 1:38*pm, "Felice" > wrote:
> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>
> .. .
>
> > i don't know if it's unusual or not, but i never feel like 'omg, i had too
> > much to eat.' *i just reach a point where something clicks like a
> > thermostat and i say 'that's enough.' *i an also a slow eater.

> > your pal,
> > blake

> Yeah, well MY thermostat doesn't click on so I go on eating like the
> Energizer Bunny.
>
> I admire you. I hate you, but I admire you.
>
> Felice

That's where the portion control kicks in. Make yourself some
intricate, tasty goodies to eat, in small portions. Use your eyes to
enjoy them as well as your nose and tongue. Invite me over for the
meal, and we'll chat over our food, so we eat slowly. Don't read,
watch tv, or even listen to the radio while you eat. Just play some
slow, sumptuous music, perhaps, to help you pace yourself.

Most importantly, invite me over<g>.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote:

> "Bob Terwilliger" > wrote in message
>> Christine wrote:
>>
>>> It is long..but it is by Michael Pollan, and he raises some
>>> interesting points/questions...
>>>
>>> http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/02/ma...cooking-t.html

>> "You want Americans to eat less? I have the diet for you. It's short,
>> and it's simple. Here's my diet plan: Cook it yourself. That's it.
>> Eat anything you want - just as long as you're willing to cook it
>> yourself."
>>
>> Heh...no, like most of us here, I cook much too well for *that* to
>> work!
>>
>> Bob

> I'm with you, Bob. Cooking for myself was what put on my excess weight
> in the first place.

Yabut, you're a foodie that loves cooking - like (most) others on this
group. IMHO, the folks his remark was aimed at are those that have no
interest in cooking whatsoever - and if by some miracle all the
fast-food outlets on the planet suddenly ceased to exist, they'd not
just lose weight, they'd starve to death.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Stu wrote:

> On Fri, 07 Aug 2009 22:48:15 -0500, Sky > wrote:
>
> -->Actually, the author has a very good point (I think)! Too many times I
> -->simply cannot decide what I want (to cook) to eat! Therefore, I tend to
> -->skip cooking at all, therefore I do not eat (or snack). Although, I do
> -->like chocolate milk Nesquick rules <G>.
> -->
> -->Sky
>
> If that's the case..
>
> In a blender, half a banana, 30 grams of protein powder, two teaspoons of
> peanut butter, 3/4 cup ice, and four ounces of Chocolate Soy milk. It makes a
> very healthy smoothie, only 300 calories.

Thanks for sharing the recipe