Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Need recommendations for budget Chicago area dining

On Wed, 29 Jul 2009 09:04:47 -0600, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>Heya all,
>
>I know there are several Chicago area folks on this group...so I am
>putting out a call to all of you...

We're here for ya. <g> I'm very familiar with the area.

>I will more than likely be in the Chicago area for about a week...from
>August 19-24..... Not staying in Chicago itself..but at a Marriott
>resort in OakBrook Hills. However, my understanding is that it is not
>that far from Chicago.

Depends on the time of day. To get to the loop it could take 40
minutes or over two hours. Without a car you'll end up spending more
on the cab than your meal.

>I am looking for good budget concious eats in the area.... I am
>willing to go into Chicago if I need to. I do know that I want to
>try maybe 2-3 things while I am there, of which a Chicago hotdog is
>one, a deep dish pizza is another, and maybe Italian beef.
>
>Can I find any good examples of that anywhere near where I will be
>staying?

I would suggest Paul's pizza in Westchester. Paul Gattuso is the
mayor of the city. He also actually works the kitchen. If you go at
lunch time the line usually stretches out the door. Louise has a
friend who flies in from California and Paul's is the first place she
wants to go when she visits. Westchester is on the border of Oakbrook
so there's a good chance they'll deliver to your hotel and save you
cab fare. The beef is a must have and it's by far my favorite in the
chi-town area. One person can't finish one. You and your group could
order a couple dogs and beef's and a pizza and take care of all your
desires pretty cheaply if they'll deliver there.

Here's Paul's site and menu with prices:

http://www.pauls-pizza.com/home.html

>I won't have a car, but I, along with several other foodie friends
>might share a cab to one of these places....
>
>I was going to try to go to one of Rick Bayless'es restaurants, but I
>am not sure I want to spend that kind of money right now. I will be
>looking at upcoming surgery and time off work.. And while I have a
>fair amount of sick leave, I still will have to dip into my savings a
>bit for the time I am out.
>
>Got recommendations?

Not far from there in Brookfield is Moldau. It's Czech. Fabulous
inexpensive homestyle cooking. I'd highly recommend it.

Here's some reviews.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/moldau-restaurant-brookfield

You can google more if you're interested. The duck and bread
dumplings are to die for. Their web site is down but the phone is
708-485-2155.

Another ethnic place in that area is the Bohemian Crystal. It's a
little more money but the food and environment are well worth it.
Everything including the rye bread is wonderful. I especially like
the costumes the servers wear. <eg>

http://www.bohemiancrystal.net/

Down the road closer to Oakbrook is Omega in Downers Grove. It's a
"corner greek joint" kicked up several notches by the bakery and
pastry shop.

http://omegarestaurants.com/Home/tabid/151/Default.aspx

The goofs don't seem to even have their address on the site but this
will get you the info and reviews you need:

http://tinyurl.com/knyj3j

Those are the budget ones that come to mind. Chicago has close to
7000 restaurants. Add the burbs and I'm sure it would double so it's
hard to come up with recommendations. I think Paul's would be your
best bet for at least one cheap meal.

HTH a little at least.

Lou