Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default pappas rellenos

Made some the other night for the first time in a while. Gonna keep
them in the rotation for snack food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"bulka" > wrote in message
> Made some the other night for the first time in a while. Gonna keep
> them in the rotation for snack food.

So what are they?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 17, 10:26 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "bulka" > wrote in message

> > Made some the other night for the first time in a while. Gonna keep
> > them in the rotation for snack food.

> So what are they?

"Pappas rellenos"? stuffed potatoes.

Boiled potatoes, mashed, mixed with a little corn starch, egg.

Wrapped around whatever - traditionally, I think, spicy pork sausage.
I like cabbage and beans along with the meat. Might do corn this
time. Bland ouatyside
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 17, 11:11 am, bulka > wrote:
> On Jul 17, 10:26 am, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
> > "bulka" > wrote in message

> > > Made some the other night for the first time in a while. Gonna keep
> > > them in the rotation for snack food.

> > So what are they?

> "Pappas rellenos"? stuffed potatoes.
>
> Boiled potatoes, mashed, mixed with a little corn starch, egg.
>
> Wrapped around whatever - traditionally, I think, spicy pork sausage.
> I like cabbage and beans along with the meat. Might do corn this
> time. Bland ouatyside

oops. hit the wrong button. Bland outside, spicy inside. Deep fried,
breaded in whatever crumbs you have if you want.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 17, 11:18 am, Peter > wrote:
> bulka > wrote in news:ebf028c7-c21c-4563-
> :
>
> > Made some the other night for the first time in a while. Gonna keep
> > them in the rotation for snack food.

> I was going to ask for the recipe........ till I googled your version.
>
> Stuffed potato balls.
>
> I saw 'rellenos'....... and mistook it for Chile Relleno.
>
> Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmm :-)
>
> --
> Peter Lucas
> Brisbane
> Australia
>
> Killfile all Google Groups posters.........
>
> http://improve-usenet.org/
>
> http://improve-usenet.org/filters_bg.html

I think "relleo"is "stuffed"

This recipie wouldn't pass on the other group, but works here, eh?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bulka wrote:
> Made some the other night for the first time in a while. Gonna keep
> them in the rotation for snack food.

Oh, wow. When I did a google image search on "papas rellenas", I almost
had a foodgasm. Those look so GOOD!

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Jul 17, 8:11*am, bulka > wrote:

> "Pappas rellenos"? *stuffed potatoes.
>
> Boiled potatoes, mashed, mixed with a little corn starch, egg.
>
> Wrapped around whatever - traditionally, I think, spicy pork sausage.
> I like cabbage and beans along with the *meat. *Might do corn this
> time. *Bland [outside, spicy inside].

One of our favorites to get at the Cuban bakery in Glendale, El
Porto. Their menu describes them this way, where they've made up the
name "potato ball":
Potato Ball™ - stuffed potato (Papa rellena) - mashed potato filled
with seasoned ground beef, breaded, and fried… Everyone’s favorite!"

I've not tried to make them, figuring it would take too much practice
to get the breading and frying techniques right. But maybe ... you
have any tips? -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> bulka wrote:
> > Made some the other night for the first time in a while. Gonna keep
> > them in the rotation for snack food.

> Oh, wow. When I did a google image search on "papas rellenas", I almost
> had a foodgasm. Those look so GOOD!
>
> Serene

I'd never heard of them until now either. Sounds positively evil. <g>
Bet they'd go just dandy with a little beef gravy!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Serene Vannoy > wrote:
>
>> bulka wrote:
>>> Made some the other night for the first time in a while. Gonna keep
>>> them in the rotation for snack food.

>> Oh, wow. When I did a google image search on "papas rellenas", I almost
>> had a foodgasm. Those look so GOOD!
>>
>> Serene

> I'd never heard of them until now either. Sounds positively evil. <g>
> Bet they'd go just dandy with a little beef gravy!

I was thinking salsa, but yeah, gravy would be good. :-)

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue is here!
http://42magazine.com

"But here's a handy hint: if your fabulous theory for ending war and
all other human conflict will not survive an online argument with
humourless feminists who are not afraid to throw rape around as an
example, your theory needs work." -- Aqua, alt.polyamory

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> On Jul 17, 8:11 am, bulka > wrote:
>> "Pappas rellenos"? stuffed potatoes.
>>
>> Boiled potatoes, mashed, mixed with a little corn starch, egg.
>>
>> Wrapped around whatever - traditionally, I think, spicy pork sausage.
>> I like cabbage and beans along with the meat. Might do corn this
>> time. Bland [outside, spicy inside].

> One of our favorites to get at the Cuban bakery in Glendale, El
> Porto. Their menu describes them this way, where they've made up the
> name "potato ball":
> Potato Ball™ - stuffed potato (Papa rellena) - mashed potato filled
> with seasoned ground beef, breaded, and fried… Everyone’s favorite!"
>
> I've not tried to make them, figuring it would take too much practice
> to get the breading and frying techniques right. But maybe ... you
> have any tips? -aem

Hmmm. I am thinking one could play with a pappas rellenos version
of a tamale pie. Gee, that's worded poorly. How about you could
construct something in the same way that tamale pies are
constructed. Of course, the results are never as good, but maybe
worth playing with.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Serene Vannoy > wrote:

> >> Oh, wow. When I did a google image search on "papas rellenas", I almost
> >> had a foodgasm. Those look so GOOD!
> >>
> >> Serene

> > I'd never heard of them until now either. Sounds positively evil. <g>
> > Bet they'd go just dandy with a little beef gravy!

> I was thinking salsa, but yeah, gravy would be good. :-)
>
> Serene

Hm, salsa is not a bad idea either.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene wrote:

>> I'd never heard of them until now either. Sounds positively evil. <g>
>> Bet they'd go just dandy with a little beef gravy!

> I was thinking salsa, but yeah, gravy would be good. :-)

Try it with a curry sauce.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Serene wrote:
>
> >> I'd never heard of them until now either. Sounds positively evil. <g>
> >> Bet they'd go just dandy with a little beef gravy!

> > I was thinking salsa, but yeah, gravy would be good. :-)

> Try it with a curry sauce.
>
> Bob

Recipe?
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 08:38:35 -0700 (PDT), bulka
> wrote:

>I think "relleo"is "stuffed"
>
>This recipie wouldn't pass on the other group, but works here, eh?

Which other ng? Post it to alt.food.mexican-cooking and see what kind
of a response you get!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 08:38:35 -0700 (PDT), bulka
> > wrote:
>
> >I think "relleo"is "stuffed"
> >
> >This recipie wouldn't pass on the other group, but works here, eh?

> Which other ng? Post it to alt.food.mexican-cooking and see what kind
> of a response you get!

That could be entertaining if it was crossposted. <eg>
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 17, 12:11 pm, aem > wrote:
> On Jul 17, 8:11 am, bulka > wrote:
>

> > "Pappas rellenos"? stuffed potatoes.

> > Boiled potatoes, mashed, mixed with a little corn starch, egg.

> > Wrapped around whatever - traditionally, I think, spicy pork sausage.
> > I like cabbage and beans along with the meat. Might do corn this
> > time. Bland [outside, spicy inside].

> One of our favorites to get at the Cuban bakery in Glendale, El
> Porto. Their menu describes them this way, where they've made up the
> name "potato ball":
> Potato Ball™ - stuffed potato (Papa rellena) - mashed potato filled
> with seasoned ground beef, breaded, and fried… Everyone’s favorite!"
>
> I've not tried to make them, figuring it would take too much practice
> to get the breading and frying techniques right. But maybe ... you
> have any tips? -aem

Oh, super simple. A handfull of potato, egg and starch for binder,
add a wad of fried sausage, veg, whatever you like or have. Fold
it. Bread with bread or crackers or Kellogs or panko or potato
chips. Deep fry . Peasant food. No problem. It's good today or
tomorrow. Ketchup, salsa, vinegar, fish sauce, all good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Om wrote:

>> Try it with a curry sauce.

Puree an onion in a mini-chopper, adding a bit of water if necessary. Heat
oil or ghee in a pan. When hot, add a stick of cinnamon and a couple whole
cloves. Cook briefly and remove spices. Add onion puree and about two
teaspoons of curry powder. (Alternatively, you can add the individual spices
which comprise curry powder. They typically include turmeric, cumin,
fenugreek, cloves, and garlic powder.) Cook until the oil starts to separate
back out. You can serve at this point, or (1) add coconut milk or (2) add
garbanzo flour and yogurt, then cook until thickened.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Bob Terwilliger" > wrote:

> Om wrote:
>
> >> Try it with a curry sauce.

> Puree an onion in a mini-chopper, adding a bit of water if necessary. Heat
> oil or ghee in a pan. When hot, add a stick of cinnamon and a couple whole
> cloves. Cook briefly and remove spices. Add onion puree and about two
> teaspoons of curry powder. (Alternatively, you can add the individual spices
> which comprise curry powder. They typically include turmeric, cumin,
> fenugreek, cloves, and garlic powder.) Cook until the oil starts to separate
> back out. You can serve at this point, or (1) add coconut milk or (2) add
> garbanzo flour and yogurt, then cook until thickened.
>
> Bob

Saved! Thanks...
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:52:41 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> sf > wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 08:38:35 -0700 (PDT), bulka
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I think "relleo"is "stuffed"
>> >
>> >This recipie wouldn't pass on the other group, but works here, eh?

>> Which other ng? Post it to alt.food.mexican-cooking and see what kind
>> of a response you get!

>That could be entertaining if it was crossposted. <eg>

I don't advocate xposting. I suggested posting there.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:52:41 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > sf > wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 08:38:35 -0700 (PDT), bulka

> >> Which other ng? Post it to alt.food.mexican-cooking and see what kind
> >> of a response you get!

> >That could be entertaining if it was crossposted. <eg>

> I don't advocate xposting. I suggested posting there.

<rolls eyes> I was kidding dear!

The crossposts that do appear are messy enough and I'm guilty of not
always paying attention to the fact that they _are_ crossposted and not
snipping, but I try...

I've killfiled a couple of those today, along with some of their nastier
posters.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 10:50:30 -0700, sf wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 08:38:35 -0700 (PDT), bulka
> > wrote:
>
>>I think "relleo"is "stuffed"
>>
>>This recipie wouldn't pass on the other group, but works here, eh?

> Which other ng? Post it to alt.food.mexican-cooking and see what kind
> of a response you get!

look, mexicanos are already trying to take over the country, so i don't
think we should antagonize them.

your republican pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 11:08:53 -0700 (PDT), bulka
> wrote:

>On Jul 17, 12:11 pm, aem > wrote:
>> On Jul 17, 8:11 am, bulka > wrote:
>>

>> > "Pappas rellenos"? stuffed potatoes.

>> > Boiled potatoes, mashed, mixed with a little corn starch, egg.

>> > Wrapped around whatever - traditionally, I think, spicy pork sausage.
>> > I like cabbage and beans along with the meat. Might do corn this
>> > time. Bland [outside, spicy inside].

>> One of our favorites to get at the Cuban bakery in Glendale, El
>> Porto. Their menu describes them this way, where they've made up the
>> name "potato ball":
>> Potato Ball™ - stuffed potato (Papa rellena) - mashed potato filled
>> with seasoned ground beef, breaded, and fried… Everyone’s favorite!"
>>
>> I've not tried to make them, figuring it would take too much practice
>> to get the breading and frying techniques right. But maybe ... you
>> have any tips? -aem

>Oh, super simple. A handfull of potato, egg and starch for binder,
>add a wad of fried sausage, veg, whatever you like or have. Fold
>it. Bread with bread or crackers or Kellogs or panko or potato
>chips. Deep fry . Peasant food. No problem. It's good today or
>tomorrow. Ketchup, salsa, vinegar, fish sauce, all good.

Thanks for posting this. I'd never heard of them and googling said
relleno de papa was the Puerto Rican version so I asked my Puerto
Rican buddie to check his cookbooks. It looks a bit different than
the Mexican one but they both look like a fun thing to make.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Jul 2009 09:11:28 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

>On Jul 17, 8:11*am, bulka > wrote:
>>
>> "Pappas rellenos"? *stuffed potatoes.
>>
>> Boiled potatoes, mashed, mixed with a little corn starch, egg.
>>
>> Wrapped around whatever - traditionally, I think, spicy pork sausage.
>> I like cabbage and beans along with the *meat. *Might do corn this
>> time. *Bland [outside, spicy inside].

>One of our favorites to get at the Cuban bakery in Glendale, El
>Porto. Their menu describes them this way, where they've made up the
>name "potato ball":
>Potato Ball™ - stuffed potato (Papa rellena) - mashed potato filled
>with seasoned ground beef, breaded, and fried… Everyone’s favorite!"
>
>I've not tried to make them, figuring it would take too much practice
>to get the breading and frying techniques right. But maybe ... you
>have any tips? -aem

I've never made these but I've deep fried mashed potato patties many
times. You gotta use wet hands when forming. Do the egg dip and the
breading and I've found a wok is the best thing for the frying. It's
easiest to turn them to get an even browning.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

bulka > wrote in
:

> On Jul 17, 11:18 am, Peter > wrote:
>> bulka > wrote in
>> :
>>
>> > Made some the other night for the first time in a while. Gonna keep
>> > them in the rotation for snack food.

>> I was going to ask for the recipe........ till I googled your version.
>>
>> Stuffed potato balls.
>>
>> I saw 'rellenos'....... and mistook it for Chile Relleno.
>>
>> Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm mmmmm :-)
>>

> I think "relleo"is "stuffed"

Yup. We used to frequent a tapas place close by here that did a
*beautiful* Chile Relleno's.

> This recipie wouldn't pass on the other group, but works here, eh?

Stuffed potato balls?? I'd got for chicken balls stuffed with garlic
butter myself!! :-)