Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Party Menu Suggestions part 2

Since you were all so helpful with menu ideas for my kids' party, I
thought I'd ask for suggestions for the evening party - same day, many
kids still but more grown-ups, to last well into the evening. ~30-40
adults, but it's a joint party with neighbors who will also have 30-40
adults, some of whom overlap and plan is for people to move between
houses. Starts at 6ish, but most will start showing about 7, except
for the kids' party overlappers.

I usually do a tapas-like spread, which goes over well but feel I
always end up making the same 10-15 dishes. Most love them but I don't
want to have the same old stuff.... I am leaving out anything that
needs to be served hot and not doing a BBQ.

Here's a list of what I did for the last party:

*Hummus (V)
*Tapenade (V - I leave out the anchovies)
Paté de crab w/avocado mayonnaise (homemade)
Albondigas w/garlic mayo (homemade)
Spinach + artichoke dip
**Tuna stuffed jalepenos
*French herbed cheese (V)
*California 7 layer dip (V)
*crudité with herb sauce (V)
Tamales
*yoghurt with roasted red pepper dip
crab dip (hot)

* items I'll likely do for this party, but am looking for alternative
suggestions (except the 7 layer dip, there would be a rebellion if I
didn't serve that)

** this was a big hit, but I'd like to try some vegetarian stuffing,
any suggestions?

"hot" items will be Conchinita pibil and pipian + black beans and rice
from a neighborhood restaurant, so I will have some chafing dishes on
in one room.

The items listed are super easy because I could do them in my sleep.
Would like stuff easy to make in advance and served room temp

(drinks include DH's incredible sangria, beer, wine, maybe margaritas
and of course assorted non-alcoholic options)

Any thoughts?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cjra wrote:
> Since you were all so helpful with menu ideas for my kids' party, I
> thought I'd ask for suggestions for the evening party - same day, many
> kids still but more grown-ups, to last well into the evening. ~30-40
> adults, but it's a joint party with neighbors who will also have 30-40
> adults, some of whom overlap and plan is for people to move between
> houses. Starts at 6ish, but most will start showing about 7, except
> for the kids' party overlappers.
>
> I usually do a tapas-like spread, which goes over well but feel I
> always end up making the same 10-15 dishes. Most love them but I don't
> want to have the same old stuff.... I am leaving out anything that
> needs to be served hot and not doing a BBQ.
>
> Here's a list of what I did for the last party:
>
> *Hummus (V)
> *Tapenade (V - I leave out the anchovies)
> Paté de crab w/avocado mayonnaise (homemade)
> Albondigas w/garlic mayo (homemade)
> Spinach + artichoke dip
> **Tuna stuffed jalepenos
> *French herbed cheese (V)
> *California 7 layer dip (V)
> *crudité with herb sauce (V)
> Tamales
> *yoghurt with roasted red pepper dip
> crab dip (hot)
>
> * items I'll likely do for this party, but am looking for alternative
> suggestions (except the 7 layer dip, there would be a rebellion if I
> didn't serve that)
>
> ** this was a big hit, but I'd like to try some vegetarian stuffing,
> any suggestions?
>
> "hot" items will be Conchinita pibil and pipian + black beans and rice
> from a neighborhood restaurant, so I will have some chafing dishes on
> in one room.
>

> The items listed are super easy because I could do them in my sleep.
> Would like stuff easy to make in advance and served room temp
>
> (drinks include DH's incredible sangria, beer, wine, maybe margaritas
> and of course assorted non-alcoholic options)
>
> Any thoughts?

The menu looks good to me! Can I come over?

One appetizery type dish I make often which might fit in with your style
is a tortilla pinwheel I combine cream cheese, cheddar cheese, sliced
red bell pepper, black olives, chopped green chili, and green onions. I
spread it on a big flour tortilla, chill it for a bit then slice it into
rounds. Serve with salsa.

I'd also maybe made some sort of spanikopita or a spinach and cheese
square which could be served at room temp.

Maybe stuffed dates too. I seem to recall a bacon wrapped date posted
here a while back.

You could make a different meatball - maybe the grape jelly/chili sauce
one?

And some fruit.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 9:21 am, Tracy > wrote:
> cjra wrote:
> > Since you were all so helpful with menu ideas for my kids' party, I
> > thought I'd ask for suggestions for the evening party - same day, many
> > kids still but more grown-ups, to last well into the evening. ~30-40
> > adults, but it's a joint party with neighbors who will also have 30-40
> > adults, some of whom overlap and plan is for people to move between
> > houses. Starts at 6ish, but most will start showing about 7, except
> > for the kids' party overlappers.

> > I usually do a tapas-like spread, which goes over well but feel I
> > always end up making the same 10-15 dishes. Most love them but I don't
> > want to have the same old stuff.... I am leaving out anything that
> > needs to be served hot and not doing a BBQ.

> > Here's a list of what I did for the last party:

> > *Hummus (V)
> > *Tapenade (V - I leave out the anchovies)
> > Paté de crab w/avocado mayonnaise (homemade)
> > Albondigas w/garlic mayo (homemade)
> > Spinach + artichoke dip
> > **Tuna stuffed jalepenos
> > *French herbed cheese (V)
> > *California 7 layer dip (V)
> > *crudité with herb sauce (V)
> > Tamales
> > *yoghurt with roasted red pepper dip
> > crab dip (hot)

> > * items I'll likely do for this party, but am looking for alternative
> > suggestions (except the 7 layer dip, there would be a rebellion if I
> > didn't serve that)

> > ** this was a big hit, but I'd like to try some vegetarian stuffing,
> > any suggestions?

> > "hot" items will be Conchinita pibil and pipian + black beans and rice
> > from a neighborhood restaurant, so I will have some chafing dishes on
> > in one room.

> > The items listed are super easy because I could do them in my sleep.
> > Would like stuff easy to make in advance and served room temp

> > (drinks include DH's incredible sangria, beer, wine, maybe margaritas
> > and of course assorted non-alcoholic options)

> > Any thoughts?

> The menu looks good to me! Can I come over?
>
> One appetizery type dish I make often which might fit in with your style
> is a tortilla pinwheel I combine cream cheese, cheddar cheese, sliced
> red bell pepper, black olives, chopped green chili, and green onions. I
> spread it on a big flour tortilla, chill it for a bit then slice it into
> rounds. Serve with salsa.
>
> I'd also maybe made some sort of spanikopita or a spinach and cheese
> square which could be served at room temp.
>
> Maybe stuffed dates too. I seem to recall a bacon wrapped date posted
> here a while back.
>
> You could make a different meatball - maybe the grape jelly/chili sauce
> one?
>
> And some fruit.
>
> Tracy

I should clarify, the ones without the * I'm not planning to do (too
hot, too much prep)....just trying to give an idea of what I usually
do

bacon wrapped dates - mmmmmm. That sounds yummy.

The tortilla pinwheel idea would work well! Thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 15, 8:47*am, cjra > wrote:
> Since you were all so helpful with menu ideas for my kids' party, I
> thought I'd ask for suggestions for the evening party - same day, many
> kids still but more grown-ups, to last well into the evening. ~30-40
> adults, but it's a joint party with neighbors who will also have 30-40
> adults, some of whom overlap and plan is for people to move between
> houses. Starts at 6ish, but most will start showing about 7, except
> for the kids' party overlappers.
>
> I usually do a tapas-like spread, which goes over well but feel I
> always end up making the same 10-15 dishes. Most love them but I don't
> want to have the same old stuff.... *I am leaving out anything that
> needs to be served hot and not doing a BBQ.
>
> Here's a list of what I did for the last party:
>
> *Hummus *(V)
> *Tapenade *(V - I leave out the anchovies)
> *Paté de crab w/avocado mayonnaise (homemade)
> *Albondigas w/garlic mayo (homemade)
> *Spinach + artichoke dip
> **Tuna stuffed jalepenos
> *French herbed cheese (V)
> *California 7 layer dip (V)
> *crudité with herb sauce (V)
> *Tamales
> *yoghurt with roasted red pepper dip
> *crab dip (hot)
>
> * items I'll likely do for this party, but am looking for alternative
> suggestions (except the 7 layer dip, there would be a rebellion if I
> didn't serve that)
>
> ** this was a big hit, but I'd like to try some vegetarian stuffing,
> any suggestions?
>
> "hot" items will be Conchinita pibil and pipian + black beans and rice
> from a neighborhood restaurant, so I will have some chafing dishes on
> in one room.
>
> The items listed are super easy because I could do them in my sleep.
> Would like stuff easy to make in advance and served room temp
>
> (drinks include DH's incredible sangria, beer, wine, maybe margaritas
> and of course assorted non-alcoholic options)
>
> Any thoughts?

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRiggggghhhhhht....... ...ya'll end up
smearing hummus on each other's butt-holes and having searing anal sex
while watching Harry Potter movies.