Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Auto Pulse Mode

I was watching Lidia Bastianish on TV just now, and
she was pulsing her food processor as we all do when
the vegetables (or whatever) start riding on top of
the chopped layer. And I noticed that while most
food processors have a pulse button, I can't remember
ever seeing a food processor with an automatic pulsing
feature. That is, a mode in which the food processor
would pulse itself. Like two seconds on and one second
off, repeated.

Have you ever seen such a feature on a food processor?
I'd guess that one reason not to include it is to let
the cook feel more engaged with the process of food
preparation. And it wouldn't actually save time.
It's not like you'd free up a bunch of time to do
something else while the food processor pulses itself.

But it's a feature that would cost nothing to add.
I don't see any reason why it isn't already a standard
feature of food processors.

Then again, my idea for greatly improving microwave
ovens has never been adopted either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message

> But it's a feature that would cost nothing to add.
> I don't see any reason why it isn't already a standard
> feature of food processors.

IMO, it is dumb. Some things you pulse longer than others so you have the
option of doing as you see fit. And it would cost something to add the
feature. One more thing to potentially break too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> the chopped layer. And I noticed that while most
> food processors have a pulse button, I can't remember
> ever seeing a food processor with an automatic pulsing
> feature. That is, a mode in which the food processor
> would pulse itself. Like two seconds on and one second
> off, repeated.
>
> Have you ever seen such a feature on a food processor?

Sure, my old Cuisinart DLC-Pro (?) has it. There's an ON button
and a PULSE/OFF button. Looking at newer models, it might not
be apparent, but how you use the switch, there's a pulse function.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>>
>> But it's a feature that would cost nothing to add.
>> I don't see any reason why it isn't already a standard
>> feature of food processors.
>>

> IMO, it is dumb. Some things you pulse longer than others so you have the
> option of doing as you see fit. And it would cost something to add the
> feature. One more thing to potentially break too.

Actually quite a few blenders (and other kitchen appliances) come with a
Pulse feature (I think most food processors) and it is not dumb, it's
actually quite useful. And the cycle time is entirely up to the user
because it is controlled by a simple spring loaded switch, whereas the
machine runs so long as the switch is held down and the machine stops when
the switch is released. My meat grinder has such a pulse switch for it's
reverse mode... a three position toggle switch; up is continuous run foward,
center is off, and held down is reverse but returns to stop when released.
So not only very useful for clearing a jam but is also a safety feature. My
Oster blender is fifty years old so doesn't have a pulse feature but often I
wish it did when mixing drinks with ice. I think all the modern high end
blenders have a pulse feature. With many modern appliances, even blenders,
they employ electronic touch pads, it's very rare that those fail. Btw, my
fifty year old Oster blender has a separate mechanical push button for each
of it's 8 speeds. I can change speed at any time while the machine is
running by pressing any of the other buttons whereas the other button will
pop up. I've never taken the machine apart to look inside at how this works
but obviously it's a mechanical device... in fifty years of pretty regular
use it has not failed. There is also a separate on/off toggle switch, would
have been nice if it incorparated the pulse feature like my grinder, perhaps
it can be, I'll have to contact Oster to ask if there's a retrofit.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

This website has a margarita machine on sale (today only), and I was
wondering, how often do people make margaritas? Often enough to buy a
machine? It does make slushes, pina coladas, daiquiris. I am not much
of a drinker, but if I had this it would encourage me. Maybe I
shouldn't, I have enough bad habits already.

http://www.1saleaday.com/

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> This website has a margarita machine on sale (today only), and I was
> wondering, how often do people make margaritas? Often enough to buy a
> machine? It does make slushes, pina coladas, daiquiris. I am not much of
> a drinker, but if I had this it would encourage me. Maybe I shouldn't, I
> have enough bad habits already.
>

> http://www.1saleaday.com/

Any blender can make margaritas... I'd put the $40 towards a better quality
machine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Becca > wrote:

> This website has a margarita machine on sale (today only), and I was
> wondering, how often do people make margaritas? Often enough to buy a
> machine? It does make slushes, pina coladas, daiquiris. I am not much
> of a drinker, but if I had this it would encourage me. Maybe I
> shouldn't, I have enough bad habits already.
>

> http://www.1saleaday.com/
>

> Becca

Pardon... but who needs a machine to make a margarita? :-)
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message

> "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> But it's a feature that would cost nothing to add.
>>> I don't see any reason why it isn't already a standard
>>> feature of food processors.
>>>

>> IMO, it is dumb. Some things you pulse longer than others so you have
>> the option of doing as you see fit. And it would cost something to add
>> the feature. One more thing to potentially break too.
>>

> Actually quite a few blenders (and other kitchen appliances) come with a
> Pulse feature (I think most food processors) and it is not dumb, it's
> actually quite useful. And the cycle time is entirely up to the user
> because it is controlled by a simple spring loaded switch, whereas the
> machine runs so long as the switch is held down and the machine stops when
> the switch is released.

Exactly. The OP wants an Auto Pulse that does a pre-determined pulsing, not
operator controlled.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski said...

> Exactly. The OP wants an Auto Pulse that does a pre-determined pulsing,
> not operator controlled.

I'm somewhat reminded of intermittent windshield wipers. I wonder if the
inventor gets royalties on the circuit.

I manually pulse the food processor because I prefer to judge the consistency
I'm after, pulse after pulse, not leave it to a machine.

Pulsing goes so fast, I'm not adverse to spending a few seconds with my
finger on the button.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski said...
>
>> Exactly. The OP wants an Auto Pulse that does a pre-determined pulsing,
>> not operator controlled.

> I'm somewhat reminded of intermittent windshield wipers. I wonder if the
> inventor gets royalties on the circuit.
>
> I manually pulse the food processor because I prefer to judge the consistency
> I'm after, pulse after pulse, not leave it to a machine.
>
> Pulsing goes so fast, I'm not adverse to spending a few seconds with my
> finger on the button.
>
> Andy

Are you by any chance related a a chap on North Korea ?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Phil..c said...

>> Pulsing goes so fast, I'm not adverse to spending a few seconds with my
>> finger on the button.
>>
>> Andy

> Are you by any chance related a a chap on North Korea ?

<Grins>

Andy
http://alturl.com/w6fg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009 13:00:56 -0500, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> Becca > wrote:
>
>> This website has a margarita machine on sale (today only), and I was
>> wondering, how often do people make margaritas? Often enough to buy a
>> machine? It does make slushes, pina coladas, daiquiris. I am not much
>> of a drinker, but if I had this it would encourage me. Maybe I
>> shouldn't, I have enough bad habits already.
>>
>> http://www.1saleaday.com/
>>
>> Becca

> Pardon... but who needs a machine to make a margarita? :-)

they should be on the rocks (salt, please), not a slushie. and do not
speak of strawberries.

your pal,
apu