Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oklahoma Kosh

I was looking through "The Food of a Younger Land" a series of
articles from the WPA writers project of foods in America before the
outbreak of the second world war. There is a description of a dish
called "Oklahoma Kosh." I made some of it today, but was wondering if
anyone else has tried it. The recipe from the article is rather vague.
My only alteration was to add some Italian sweet sausage.

Thanks

Tom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Being an Oklahoma girl myself, I've never heard of Kosh -- nor is there
> much in the google about it. Could you please elaborate what type of
> dish this is and what's in it?

According to the recipe you first make cornbread. After you make the
cornbread, you crumple it up in a bowl. Then you add onions, eggs, and
probably anything else you want. I added sausage,parsley, and some
basil. Then you bake it in the oven. I baked it for about an hour at
275 because I was already making a pot roast. Tomorrow I will serve it
for breakfast, and will probably nuke it, and then serve it with
butter and maple syrup. I thought the eggs would be more dominate. I
added eight eggs, I think.

Tom
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
>> Being an Oklahoma girl myself, I've never heard of Kosh -- nor is there
>> much in the google about it. Could you please elaborate what type of
>> dish this is and what's in it?
>>

> According to the recipe you first make cornbread. After you make the
> cornbread, you crumple it up in a bowl. Then you add onions, eggs, and
> probably anything else you want. I added sausage,parsley, and some
> basil. Then you bake it in the oven. I baked it for about an hour at
> 275 because I was already making a pot roast. Tomorrow I will serve it
> for breakfast, and will probably nuke it, and then serve it with
> butter and maple syrup. I thought the eggs would be more dominate. I
> added eight eggs, I think.
>
> Tom

Are you as intrigued with that book, and the idea behind the
project, as I am? I also have two other related books out of the
library and will be buying them.

I made cush, and I think it was spelled that way years ago. I
recall that it involved stale corn bread, chicken broth, onions,
and I forget what seasonings beyond salt and pepper. I also
forget whether it was baked or fried--I think the former--until
crusty. It was good enough to repeat. It definitely did not
contain eggs.

Also, an acquaintance from Texas has spoken of cush many times.
His involves cornbread, onion, bacon fat, water, salt and a lot of
pepper. It cooks on top of the stove until a mush.

--
Jean B.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jean B. wrote:
> wrote:
>>> Being an Oklahoma girl myself, I've never heard of Kosh -- nor is there
>>> much in the google about it. Could you please elaborate what type of
>>> dish this is and what's in it?
>>>

>> According to the recipe you first make cornbread. After you make the
>> cornbread, you crumple it up in a bowl. Then you add onions, eggs, and
>> probably anything else you want. I added sausage,parsley, and some
>> basil. Then you bake it in the oven. I baked it for about an hour at
>> 275 because I was already making a pot roast. Tomorrow I will serve it
>> for breakfast, and will probably nuke it, and then serve it with
>> butter and maple syrup. I thought the eggs would be more dominate. I
>> added eight eggs, I think.
>>
>> Tom

> Are you as intrigued with that book, and the idea behind the project, as
> I am? I also have two other related books out of the library and will
> be buying them.
>
> I made cush, and I think it was spelled that way years ago. I recall
> that it involved stale corn bread, chicken broth, onions, and I forget
> what seasonings beyond salt and pepper. I also forget whether it was
> baked or fried--I think the former--until crusty. It was good enough to
> repeat. It definitely did not contain eggs.
>
> Also, an acquaintance from Texas has spoken of cush many times. His
> involves cornbread, onion, bacon fat, water, salt and a lot of pepper.
> It cooks on top of the stove until a mush.

Oh, PS. I was thinking more about this last night and think my
acquaintance from Texas also makes a version that contains tomatoes.

--
Jean B.