FoodBanter.com

-   -   Hardcore Food/Cooking Books (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/173952-hardcore-food-cooking-books.html)

Sqwertz[_34_] 28-06-2009 04:26 PM

Hardcore Food/Cooking Books

Recent acquisitions. These are not your typical Rachel Ray or
Emeril Lagasse books you find in used and second-hand bookstores.

This first one is a must for anybody seriously into food, sociology,
history, and cooking.

Encyclopedia of Food and Culture (3 Volume Set)
[http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-C...dp/0684805685/
This is a monster of a compilation filled with great topics and
info. If you can't find anything in here to read, then stick to the
watching FoodTV and eating at Booger King and remain oblivious.

Dictionary of Food Ingredients 4th Edition
[http://www.amazon.com/Dictionary-Foo...dp/0834219522/
Acesulfame Potassium, Balsam Peru Oil, Calcium Caseinate, Disodium
Calcium EDTA, ....., Zein. You get the idea. It has normal
home-use ingredients, too. Much more interesting and authoritative
than the Oxford/Penguin Companion to Food.

Food Processing Technology, 2nd Edition
http://www.amazon.com/Food-Processin...dp/0895736098/
Everything you never knew you didn't even care about, in
excruciating detail. OK, this one be a little dry for some of you.
But it was really cheap.

On the lighter side:

Street Food
http://www.amazon.com/Street-Food-To.../dp/0756628504

In Defense of Food (Audio version 5-CD set)
http://www.amazon.com/Defense-Food-E.../dp/0143142747

JERRY 28-06-2009 07:07 PM

[http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-C...aily/dp/068480

[http://www.amazon.com/Dictionary-Foo...rt/dp/08342195

http://www.amazon.com/Food-Processin...actice/dp/0895
736098/
> Everything you never knew you didn't even care about, in
> excruciating detail. OK, this one be a little dry for some of you.
> But it was really cheap.
>
> On the lighter side:
>
> Street Food
> http://www.amazon.com/Street-Food-To.../dp/0756628504
>
> In Defense of Food (Audio version 5-CD set)
> http://www.amazon.com/Defense-Food-E.../dp/0143142747

And just WHY was this posted to alt.fast-food Steve??

Jean B.[_1_] 28-06-2009 07:55 PM

Sqwertz wrote:
> Recent acquisitions. These are not your typical Rachel Ray or
> Emeril Lagasse books you find in used and second-hand bookstores.
>
> This first one is a must for anybody seriously into food, sociology,
> history, and cooking.
>
> Encyclopedia of Food and Culture (3 Volume Set)
> [http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-C...dp/0684805685/
> This is a monster of a compilation filled with great topics and
> info. If you can't find anything in here to read, then stick to the
> watching FoodTV and eating at Booger King and remain oblivious.
>
> Dictionary of Food Ingredients 4th Edition
> [http://www.amazon.com/Dictionary-Foo...dp/0834219522/
> Acesulfame Potassium, Balsam Peru Oil, Calcium Caseinate, Disodium
> Calcium EDTA, ....., Zein. You get the idea. It has normal
> home-use ingredients, too. Much more interesting and authoritative
> than the Oxford/Penguin Companion to Food.
>
> Food Processing Technology, 2nd Edition
> http://www.amazon.com/Food-Processin...dp/0895736098/
> Everything you never knew you didn't even care about, in
> excruciating detail. OK, this one be a little dry for some of you.
> But it was really cheap.
>
> On the lighter side:
>
> Street Food
> http://www.amazon.com/Street-Food-To.../dp/0756628504
>
> In Defense of Food (Audio version 5-CD set)
> http://www.amazon.com/Defense-Food-E.../dp/0143142747

No, those aren't the usual books. I hope you enjoy them.
--
Jean B.

Mark Thorson 28-06-2009 08:34 PM

Sqwertz wrote:

> Recent acquisitions. These are not your typical Rachel Ray or
> Emeril Lagasse books you find in used and second-hand bookstores.

[. . . ]

> Food Processing Technology, 2nd Edition
> http://www.amazon.com/Food-Processin...dp/0895736098/
> Everything you never knew you didn't even care about, in
> excruciating detail. OK, this one be a little dry for some of you.
> But it was really cheap.

I'll have to check that one out. First, I'll have
to check that I don't already have it. Don't you
hate when you buy a book, and discover you already
have a copy? That's happened often enough to me
that I've gotten more careful about it.

Food books are about a third of my vast book
collection, and of that almost none are books
intended for the home cook. Almost all of my
food books are about industrial food technology.
I learn so much more from them. None of them
assume you're an idiot. All of them assume
basic knowledge in chemistry, engineering, etc.
They get right to the point really fast, then
tick off all the information you need to know
if you're working in the branch of food science
they're describing. They don't waste your time
with romantic descriptions of the last time they
toured the south of France or any useless crap
like that. They don't waste precious space with
sumptuous photographs of food, except for the
two books I have specifically on the subject
of food photography.

Omelet[_7_] 29-06-2009 09:36 AM

Hardcore Food/Cooking Books

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Recent acquisitions. These are not your typical Rachel Ray or
> Emeril Lagasse books you find in used and second-hand bookstores.
>
> This first one is a must for anybody seriously into food, sociology,
> history, and cooking.
>
> Encyclopedia of Food and Culture (3 Volume Set)
> [http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-C...ly/dp/06848056
> 85/
> This is a monster of a compilation filled with great topics and
> info. If you can't find anything in here to read, then stick to the
> watching FoodTV and eating at Booger King and remain oblivious.
>
> Dictionary of Food Ingredients 4th Edition
> [http://www.amazon.com/Dictionary-Foo.../dp/0834219522
> /
> Acesulfame Potassium, Balsam Peru Oil, Calcium Caseinate, Disodium
> Calcium EDTA, ....., Zein. You get the idea. It has normal
> home-use ingredients, too. Much more interesting and authoritative
> than the Oxford/Penguin Companion to Food.
>
> Food Processing Technology, 2nd Edition
> http://www.amazon.com/Food-Processin...tice/dp/089573
> 6098/
> Everything you never knew you didn't even care about, in
> excruciating detail. OK, this one be a little dry for some of you.
> But it was really cheap.
>
> On the lighter side:
>
> Street Food
> http://www.amazon.com/Street-Food-To.../dp/0756628504
>
> In Defense of Food (Audio version 5-CD set)
> http://www.amazon.com/Defense-Food-E.../dp/0143142747

Looks interesting. :-) Where did you get them?

I'm compiling a list of "need to buy" books and I just added some of
these to that list, thanks. I'm going to make a run to 1/2 price books
one of these years. <g> Mainly for the mckenzie books for back and neck
health (as suggested to me by both my chiropractors and a personal
trainer for m.f.w.), but also for some fun stuff!
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Subscribe:

Scott[_11_] 29-06-2009 06:06 PM

Sqwertz wrote:
> Recent acquisitions. These are not your typical Rachel Ray or
> Emeril Lagasse books you find in used and second-hand bookstores.
>
> This first one is a must for anybody seriously into food, sociology,
> history, and cooking.
>
> Encyclopedia of Food and Culture (3 Volume Set)
> [http://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-C...dp/0684805685/
> This is a monster of a compilation filled with great topics and
> info. If you can't find anything in here to read, then stick to the
> watching FoodTV and eating at Booger King and remain oblivious.
>
> Dictionary of Food Ingredients 4th Edition
> [http://www.amazon.com/Dictionary-Foo...dp/0834219522/
> Acesulfame Potassium, Balsam Peru Oil, Calcium Caseinate, Disodium
> Calcium EDTA, ....., Zein. You get the idea. It has normal
> home-use ingredients, too. Much more interesting and authoritative
> than the Oxford/Penguin Companion to Food.
>
> Food Processing Technology, 2nd Edition
> http://www.amazon.com/Food-Processin...dp/0895736098/
> Everything you never knew you didn't even care about, in
> excruciating detail. OK, this one be a little dry for some of you.
> But it was really cheap.
>
> On the lighter side:
>
> Street Food
> http://www.amazon.com/Street-Food-To.../dp/0756628504
>
> In Defense of Food (Audio version 5-CD set)
> http://www.amazon.com/Defense-Food-E.../dp/0143142747

If you run across any hardcore fast food books, please let us know.

Sqwertz[_34_] 29-06-2009 08:17 PM

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:06:13 -0500, Scott wrote:

> If you run across any hardcore fast food books, please let us know.

Eric Schlosser's "Fast Food Nation". The movie was lame and really
had nothing to do with the book.

Ironically, the only thing the book and the movie had in common was
the premise that 38% of all burgers tested positive for containing
cow shit (some of it has been irradiated rendering the ecoli
harmless).

So the movie begins - an inspector is sent out to find out how all
this shit is getting into the meat. What he finds out is that it
can't be avoided.

-sw

Scott[_11_] 29-06-2009 10:16 PM

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:06:13 -0500, Scott wrote:
>
>> If you run across any hardcore fast food books, please let us know.

> Eric Schlosser's "Fast Food Nation". The movie was lame and really
> had nothing to do with the book.

The movie had nothing to do with the book?...that's a shock!

> Ironically, the only thing the book and the movie had in common was
> the premise that 38% of all burgers tested positive for containing
> cow shit (some of it has been irradiated rendering the ecoli
> harmless).

And you said before that ALL fast food burgers contain cow shit. See,
it's not as bad as you think it is.

> So the movie begins - an inspector is sent out to find out how all
> this shit is getting into the meat. What he finds out is that it
> can't be avoided.
>
> -sw

So that would mean that all meat, including your $100 dollars burger, is
susceptible to contamination.

Mark Thorson 30-06-2009 12:01 AM

Scott wrote:

> If you run across any hardcore fast food books, please let us know.

_Convenience_and_Fast_Food_Handbook_
Martin Edward Thorner
AVI Publishing Company

sqwertz 30-06-2009 03:50 AM

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:16:18 -0500, Scott wrote:

> So that would mean that all meat, including your $100 dollars burger, is
> susceptible to contamination.

I have no qualms about eating ground beef that probably contains cow
shit. It's a fact of life when you eat out. I'm sure I've warded
off more e-Coli than I've eaten and I've never attributed any
sickness to eating cow shit.

I did eat some fresh shucked oysters though...But I still eat those,
too.

-sw

sqwertz 30-06-2009 03:55 AM

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:01:04 -0700, Mark Thorson wrote:

> Scott wrote:
>>
>> If you run across any hardcore fast food books, please let us know.

> _Convenience_and_Fast_Food_Handbook_
> Martin Edward Thorner
> AVI Publishing Company

You can bet those fast food companies keep their secret ingredients
and processes a proprietary secret. It ain't gonna be published in
any book under that title. Which is why I mentioned those books
here.

These are the same ingredients that make people unemployed and live
in their momma's basement. It's very interesting reading,
especially the sociology part.

-sw

JERRY 30-06-2009 06:56 AM

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:16:18 -0500, Scott wrote:
>
> > So that would mean that all meat, including your $100 dollars burger, is
> > susceptible to contamination.

> I have no qualms about eating ground beef that probably contains cow
> shit. It's a fact of life when you eat out.

Then why exactly have you been bitching about it so much these last several
year's... now your doing a 180 on it?!?!?!?!

I think the best way to define you Steve, is Hypocrite.

JERRY 30-06-2009 06:57 AM

"Scott" > wrote in message

> > So the movie begins - an inspector is sent out to find out how all
> > this shit is getting into the meat. What he finds out is that it
> > can't be avoided.
> >
> > -sw

> So that would mean that all meat, including your $100 dollars burger, is
> susceptible to contamination.

Good point, Scott! But I'm sure Steve already realized that.... but then
again according to his logic, if something costs $100 dollar's then it can't
have shit in it just becouse it's expenssive.

Jean B.[_1_] 30-06-2009 02:38 PM

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 12:06:13 -0500, Scott wrote:
>
>> If you run across any hardcore fast food books, please let us know.

> Eric Schlosser's "Fast Food Nation". The movie was lame and really
> had nothing to do with the book.
>
> Ironically, the only thing the book and the movie had in common was
> the premise that 38% of all burgers tested positive for containing
> cow shit (some of it has been irradiated rendering the ecoli
> harmless).
>
> So the movie begins - an inspector is sent out to find out how all
> this shit is getting into the meat. What he finds out is that it
> can't be avoided.
>
> -sw

Gee, that's a good push toward being a vegetarian!

--
Jean B.

blake murphy[_2_] 30-06-2009 05:05 PM

On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 21:50:02 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:16:18 -0500, Scott wrote:
>
>> So that would mean that all meat, including your $100 dollars burger, is
>> susceptible to contamination.

> I have no qualms about eating ground beef that probably contains cow
> shit. It's a fact of life when you eat out. I'm sure I've warded
> off more e-Coli than I've eaten and I've never attributed any
> sickness to eating cow shit.
>
> I did eat some fresh shucked oysters though...But I still eat those,
> too.
>
> -sw

i hope they're not finding cow shit in oysters now.

your pal,
blake

Sqwertz[_27_] 30-06-2009 05:30 PM

JERRY wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:16:18 -0500, Scott wrote:
>>
>>> So that would mean that all meat, including your $100 dollars burger, is
>>> susceptible to contamination.

>> I have no qualms about eating ground beef that probably contains cow
>> shit. It's a fact of life when you eat out.

> Then why exactly have you been bitching about it so much these last several
> year's... now your doing a 180 on it?!?!?!?!
>
> I think the best way to define you Steve, is Hypocrite.

I have said nothing hypocritical. I'm not bitching about cow shit in
food, I'm just bringing it to your attention. You're the one bitching
about it saying it's not true and that all contaminated hamburger is
recalled before it ever reaches the consumer. Which everybody except you
knows is not true.

Have another shitburger, Jerry.

-sw

Sqwertz[_27_] 30-06-2009 05:34 PM

blake murphy wrote:

> i hope they're not finding cow shit in oysters now.

Worse. The cows were fed oysters. There have been several reported cases
of Mad Oysters.

-sw

Virginia Tadrzynski 01-07-2009 11:39 AM

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 21:50:02 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 29 Jun 2009 16:16:18 -0500, Scott wrote:
>>
>>> So that would mean that all meat, including your $100 dollars burger, is
>>> susceptible to contamination.

>> I have no qualms about eating ground beef that probably contains cow
>> shit. It's a fact of life when you eat out. I'm sure I've warded
>> off more e-Coli than I've eaten and I've never attributed any
>> sickness to eating cow shit.
>>
>> I did eat some fresh shucked oysters though...But I still eat those,
>> too.
>>
>> -sw

> i hope they're not finding cow shit in oysters now.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Sorta like that Malaysian coffee where the beans must be eaten by a civet
then 'shat out' before they are roasted and ground and made into coffee.
These exotic oysters must be eaten by cattle, ruminated, then 'shat' out and
then breaded and fried.

Next question.
-ginny

sqwertz 01-07-2009 12:16 PM

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 06:39:26 -0400, Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> Sorta like that Malaysian coffee where the beans must be eaten by a civet
> then 'shat out' before they are roasted and ground and made into coffee.
> These exotic oysters must be eaten by cattle, ruminated, then 'shat' out and
> then breaded and fried.

I thought that was just made up for the movie, "The Bucket List". I
didn't know it was actually TRUE!

-sw

Virginia Tadrzynski 01-07-2009 12:35 PM

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 06:39:26 -0400, Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>
>> Sorta like that Malaysian coffee where the beans must be eaten by a civet
>> then 'shat out' before they are roasted and ground and made into coffee.
>> These exotic oysters must be eaten by cattle, ruminated, then 'shat' out
>> and
>> then breaded and fried.

> I thought that was just made up for the movie, "The Bucket List". I
> didn't know it was actually TRUE!
>
> -sw

Andrew Zimmern did a segment on the 'civeted' coffee on one of his Bizarre
shows.
-ginny

Jean B.[_1_] 01-07-2009 12:39 PM

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 06:39:26 -0400, Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
>>
>>> Sorta like that Malaysian coffee where the beans must be eaten by a civet
>>> then 'shat out' before they are roasted and ground and made into coffee.
>>> These exotic oysters must be eaten by cattle, ruminated, then 'shat' out
>>> and
>>> then breaded and fried.

>> I thought that was just made up for the movie, "The Bucket List". I
>> didn't know it was actually TRUE!
>>
>> -sw

> Andrew Zimmern did a segment on the 'civeted' coffee on one of his Bizarre
> shows.
> -ginny

Oh gee. I wish I could find a good copy of the related picture
now. I broke one of the cups I had made with that pic on them.

--
Jean B.

Virginia Tadrzynski 01-07-2009 01:17 PM

"Jean B." > wrote in message
> Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

>>> I thought that was just made up for the movie, "The Bucket List". I
>>> didn't know it was actually TRUE!
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Andrew Zimmern did a segment on the 'civeted' coffee on one of his
>> Bizarre shows.
>> -ginny

> Oh gee. I wish I could find a good copy of the related picture now. I
> broke one of the cups I had made with that pic on them.
>
> --
> Jean B.

Adds a whole new wrinkle to the quip that after tasting a substandard cup of
coffee, the drinker say to the pro-offerer...'you drink this shit?'
-ginny

blake murphy[_2_] 01-07-2009 04:43 PM

On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:34:06 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:
>
>> i hope they're not finding cow shit in oysters now.

> Worse. The cows were fed oysters. There have been several reported cases
> of Mad Oysters.
>
> -sw

i thought oysters were happy as a clam.

your pal,
blake

blake murphy[_2_] 01-07-2009 04:44 PM

Hardcore Food/Cooking Books

On Wed, 1 Jul 2009 06:39:26 -0400, Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message

>>> I have no qualms about eating ground beef that probably contains cow
>>> shit. It's a fact of life when you eat out. I'm sure I've warded
>>> off more e-Coli than I've eaten and I've never attributed any
>>> sickness to eating cow shit.
>>>
>>> I did eat some fresh shucked oysters though...But I still eat those,
>>> too.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> i hope they're not finding cow shit in oysters now.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Sorta like that Malaysian coffee where the beans must be eaten by a civet
> then 'shat out' before they are roasted and ground and made into coffee.
> These exotic oysters must be eaten by cattle, ruminated, then 'shat' out and
> then breaded and fried.
>
> Next question.
> -ginny

do they have them at long john silver's?

your pal,
blake

Sqwertz[_27_] 01-07-2009 07:25 PM

blake murphy wrote:
> On Tue, 30 Jun 2009 11:34:06 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> blake murphy wrote:
>>
>>> i hope they're not finding cow shit in oysters now.

>> Worse. The cows were fed oysters. There have been several reported cases
>> of Mad Oysters.
>>
>> -sw

> i thought oysters were happy as a clam.

Clams are only happy because they have that thing sticking out. Oysters
don't have that luxury.

-sw

blake murphy[_2_] 02-07-2009 05:58 PM

On Wed, 01 Jul 2009 13:25:00 -0500, Sqwertz wrote:

> blake murphy wrote:

>>> Worse. The cows were fed oysters. There have been several reported cases
>>> of Mad Oysters.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> i thought oysters were happy as a clam.

> Clams are only happy because they have that thing sticking out. Oysters
> don't have that luxury.
>
> -sw

good thing they don't have feet or they'd step on the ****ing things.

your pal,
blake

JERRY 02-07-2009 07:45 PM

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> JERRY wrote:

is
> >> I have no qualms about eating ground beef that probably contains cow
> >> shit. It's a fact of life when you eat out.

> > Then why exactly have you been bitching about it so much these last

several
> > year's... now your doing a 180 on it?!?!?!?!
> >
> > I think the best way to define you Steve, is Hypocrite.

> I have said nothing hypocritical.

You do all the time!!!!!! This beef-shit contamination 180 is the just the
LATEST!

sqwertz 02-07-2009 09:37 PM

On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 13:45:49 -0500, JERRY wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>> I have said nothing hypocritical.

> You do all the time!!!!!! This beef-shit contamination 180 is the just the
> LATEST!

Still haven't figured out how to use a dictionary, eh?

ObFood: Old London brand Cheddar Cheese Waffle Snacks. Still not as
good as Wise brand Cheese Waffies, but I can't get those here.

-sw

Jean B.[_1_] 03-07-2009 02:31 AM

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 13:45:49 -0500, JERRY wrote:
>
>> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>> I have said nothing hypocritical.

>> You do all the time!!!!!! This beef-shit contamination 180 is the just the
>> LATEST!

> Still haven't figured out how to use a dictionary, eh?
>
> ObFood: Old London brand Cheddar Cheese Waffle Snacks. Still not as
> good as Wise brand Cheese Waffies, but I can't get those here.
>
> -sw

I love those.... I don't think I've ever had Wise brand though.

--
Jean B.

JERRY 03-07-2009 07:05 AM

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 2 Jul 2009 13:45:49 -0500, JERRY wrote:
>
> > "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> >> I have said nothing hypocritical.

> > You do all the time!!!!!! This beef-shit contamination 180 is the just

the
> > LATEST!

> Still haven't figured out how to use a dictionary, eh?
>
> ObFood: Old London brand Cheddar Cheese Waffle Snacks. Still not as
> good as Wise brand Cheese Waffies, but I can't get those here.
>
> -sw

Steve, here's a thought.. why don't YOU use a dictionary and look up the
word "public property"!!!

sqwertz 04-07-2009 01:20 AM

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 01:05:50 -0500, JERRY wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

>>> You do all the time!!!!!! This beef-shit contamination 180 is the just

> the
>>> LATEST!

>> Still haven't figured out how to use a dictionary, eh?
>>
>> ObFood: Old London brand Cheddar Cheese Waffle Snacks. Still not as
>> good as Wise brand Cheese Waffies, but I can't get those here.

> Steve, here's a thought.. why don't YOU use a dictionary and look up the
> word "public property"!!!

How quickly you forget. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_property

(For those of you not in the know, Jerry here insists that Taco
Bells (and all restaurants and stores) are Public Property.

Anybody want to back him up on that?

-sw

sqwertz 04-07-2009 01:22 AM

On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 21:31:33 -0400, Jean B. wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> ObFood: Old London brand Cheddar Cheese Waffle Snacks. Still not as
>> good as Wise brand Cheese Waffies, but I can't get those here.

> I love those.... I don't think I've ever had Wise brand though.

Wise is a regional snack food company who only distributes to the
Eastern US.

-sw

Jean B.[_1_] 04-07-2009 02:16 AM

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 21:31:33 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> ObFood: Old London brand Cheddar Cheese Waffle Snacks. Still not as
>>> good as Wise brand Cheese Waffies, but I can't get those here.

>> I love those.... I don't think I've ever had Wise brand though.

> Wise is a regional snack food company who only distributes to the
> Eastern US.
>
> -sw

Oh, we do have that brand here. I am just not aware of their
waffies. ACTUALLY, I may have seen them in passing for the first
time within the last week. This is just a guess though. I didn't
note the brand. My daughter deterred me from making a further
investigation.

--
Jean B.

Christopher Helms 04-07-2009 03:12 AM

On Jul 3, 7:20*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 01:05:50 -0500, JERRY wrote:

> > the

> >> Still haven't figured out how to use a dictionary, eh?

> >> ObFood: Old London brand Cheddar Cheese Waffle Snacks. *Still not as
> >> good as Wise brand Cheese Waffies, but I can't get those here.

> > Steve, here's a thought.. why don't YOU use a dictionary and look up the
> > word "public property"!!!

> How quickly you forget.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_property
>
> (For those of you not in the know, Jerry here insists that Taco
> Bells (and all restaurants and stores) are Public Property.
>
> Anybody want to back him up on that?
>
> -sw

Taco Bell is part of the YUM conglomerate (along with KFC, Pizza Hut,
Frito-Lay and other institutions catering to the morbidly obese). YUM
is a publicly traded company. Maybe that's what he means.

Nancy Young[_2_] 04-07-2009 03:39 AM

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 02 Jul 2009 21:31:33 -0400, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> ObFood: Old London brand Cheddar Cheese Waffle Snacks. Still not as
>>> good as Wise brand Cheese Waffies, but I can't get those here.

>> I love those.... I don't think I've ever had Wise brand though.

> Wise is a regional snack food company who only distributes to the
> Eastern US.

I've never seen Wise cheese waffles. I've seen Old London, but
not since the last time those came up in conversation here. Good
thing, they are addictive.

nancy

JERRY 04-07-2009 03:54 AM

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 01:05:50 -0500, JERRY wrote:

just
> > the
> >>
> >> Still haven't figured out how to use a dictionary, eh?
> >>
> >> ObFood: Old London brand Cheddar Cheese Waffle Snacks. Still not as
> >> good as Wise brand Cheese Waffies, but I can't get those here.

> > Steve, here's a thought.. why don't YOU use a dictionary and look up the
> > word "public property"!!!

> How quickly you forget. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_property
>
> (For those of you not in the know, Jerry here insists that Taco
> Bells (and all restaurants and stores) are Public Property.
>
> Anybody want to back him up on that?
>
> -sw

Steve, you should have read the whole thing before you posted the link.
Read the part that says:

Most public property is accessible to the general public, such as zoos,
libraries, schools, and parks; some is reserved for restricted use, such as
military bases and research laboratories.

ONCE AGAIN, the matter is settled. Go find another group to troll.

sqwertz 04-07-2009 11:36 AM

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 21:54:06 -0500, JERRY wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message

> just
>>> the

>>> Steve, here's a thought.. why don't YOU use a dictionary and look up the
>>> word "public property"!!!

>> How quickly you forget. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_property
>>
>> (For those of you not in the know, Jerry here insists that Taco
>> Bells (and all restaurants and stores) are Public Property.
>>
>> Anybody want to back him up on that?

> Steve, you should have read the whole thing before you posted the link.
> Read the part that says:
>
> Most public property is accessible to the general public, such as zoos,
> libraries, schools, and parks; some is reserved for restricted use, such as
> military bases and research laboratories.

Yeah - so how the hell does this back up your hypothesis?

Your sphincter is open to the general public. Does that make your
ass public property, too?

> ONCE AGAIN, the matter is settled. Go find another group to troll.

Translation: "I really ****ed up this argument up many multiple
times"

-sw

sqwertz 04-07-2009 12:13 PM

On Fri, 3 Jul 2009 19:12:01 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Helms wrote:

> Taco Bell is part of the YUM conglomerate (along with KFC, Pizza Hut,
> Frito-Lay and other institutions catering to the morbidly obese). YUM
> is a publicly traded company. Maybe that's what he means.

Jerry doesn't know anything about finances and stock markets. You
give him way too much credit.

His only hypothesis is that if the public is allowed on the
property, then it is public property and he has a constitutional and
contractual right to be there as long as they advertise food for
sale on the menu or street signage.

-sw

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig 04-07-2009 01:22 PM

On Jun 28, 2:34*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > Recent acquisitions. *These are not your typical Rachel Ray or
> > Emeril Lagasse books you find in used and second-hand bookstores.

> [. . . ]
>
> > Food Processing Technology, 2nd Edition
> >http://www.amazon.com/Food-Processin...ples-Practice/...
> > Everything you never knew you didn't even care about, in
> > excruciating detail. *OK, this one be a little dry for some of you.
> > But it was really cheap.

> I'll have to check that one out. *First, I'll have
> to check that I don't already have it. *Don't you
> hate when you buy a book, and discover you already
> have a copy? *That's happened often enough to me
> that I've gotten more careful about it.
>
> Food books are about a third of my vast book
> collection, and of that almost none are books
> intended for the home cook. *Almost all of my
> food books are about industrial food technology.
> I learn so much more from them. *None of them
> assume you're an idiot. *All of them assume
> basic knowledge in chemistry, engineering, etc.
> They get right to the point really fast, then
> tick off all the information you need to know
> if you're working in the branch of food science
> they're describing. *They don't waste your time
> with romantic descriptions of the last time they
> toured the south of France or any useless crap
> like that. *They don't waste precious space with
> sumptuous photographs of food, except for the
> two books I have specifically on the subject
> of food photography.

Look here, Mark! I LIKE those books with "romantic descriptions of
the last time they toured the south of France" and " . . . sumptuous
photographs of food"! Especially with a really good writer: John T
Edge, Calvin Trillin, St. Julia-Child of God, or the Sterns. Better
than novels. Only problem is you have to read them while your eating
or immediately after a meal!
Lynn in Fargo

Lynn from Fargo Ografmorffig 04-07-2009 01:30 PM

Hardcore Food/Cooking Books

On Jul 1, 5:39*am, "Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote:
(snipped)
> Sorta like that Malaysian coffee where the beans must be eaten by a civet
> then 'shat out' before they are roasted and ground and made into coffee.
> -ginny

"Kopi Luwak" see Food Lover's Companion by the late Sharon Tyler
Herbst."
Lynn in Fargo ;-)