Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Masterchef TV Show

I am thoroughly enjoying this TV series - http://www.masterchef.com.au

It's a reality TV competition where the contestants don't routinely get
humiliated, the feedback is mostly constructive, it's enjoyable to watch, I
can pick up great tips from the chef judges, I can get recipes from the
website - and when I don't get home in time to watch it, and haven't taped
it I can watch the whole episode on the website!

I know there is an English Masterchef that predates this. Is there an
American version of this show? Any other Aussie RFCers watching it and
enjoying it?

Off to hit the website and watch tonight's episode now :-)

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Core of my heart, my country! Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine she pays us back threefold.
My Country, Dorothea MacKellar, 1904

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Rhonda Anderson > wrote in
. 5:

> I am thoroughly enjoying this TV series - http://www.masterchef.com.au
>
> It's a reality TV competition where the contestants don't routinely get
> humiliated, the feedback is mostly constructive, it's enjoyable to
> watch, I can pick up great tips from the chef judges, I can get recipes
> from the website - and when I don't get home in time to watch it, and
> haven't taped it I can watch the whole episode on the website!
>
> I know there is an English Masterchef that predates this. Is there an
> American version of this show? Any other Aussie RFCers watching it and
> enjoying it?

Yep. I got sucked into watching it because the SO likes those sorts of
things. It grows on you. I'll like it even better if that little rat face
Sam doesn't win!!

I didn't particularly like the Brit version....... especially now that
they are showing the "Celebrity Masterchef" series.

> Off to hit the website and watch tonight's episode now :-)

I had to set the Foxtel IQ up to record every show (in case we missed it).

Critisisms???? I think the pudgy (chef) judge has the hots for blondie,
George eats like he's spent most of his life in prison and is trying to
rip off Ramsey and Jamie Oliver with his continual "Yeah", and the "world
renowned" food critic.. I've never heard of him.

Oh....... and the crying. Hate it.

I've got my money on Chris to win...... even though he screwed up royally
with the High Tea service....... although the dark haired girl with the
ticket to the finals might just be a 'dark horse'..... if she doesn't have
another 'melt down'!! Julie's great, but I don't think she's got what it's
going to take. (Lets hope she doesn't cry again when she has to kill
another fish!!)

All in all, it's a great experience for them, especially now they're in
Hong Kong.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"As viscous as motor oil swirled in a swamp, redolent of burnt bell
peppers nested in by incontinent mice and a finish reminiscent of the
dregs of a stale can of Coca-Cola that someone has been using as an
ashtray. Not a bad drink, though."
Excerpt from "The Moose Turd Wine Tasting" by T. A. Nonymous
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 23, 9:06*am, Rhonda Anderson > wrote:
> I am thoroughly enjoying this TV series -http://www.masterchef.com.au
>
> It's a reality TV competition where the contestants don't routinely get
> humiliated, the feedback is mostly constructive, it's enjoyable to watch, I
> can pick up great tips from the chef judges, I can get recipes from the
> website - and when I don't get home in time to watch it, and haven't taped
> it I can watch the whole episode on the website!
>
> I know there is an English Masterchef that predates this. Is there an
> American version of this show? Any other Aussie RFCers watching it and
> enjoying it?
>
> Off to hit the website and watch tonight's episode now :-)
>
> --
> Rhonda Anderson
> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
>
> Core of my heart, my country! Land of the rainbow gold,
> For flood and fire and famine she pays us back threefold.
> * * * * My Country, Dorothea MacKellar, 1904

We currently have a new series on Bravo called "Top Chef Masters,"
derived from the popular "Top Chef" reality series. Various already-
established and usually well-known chefs compete each week - there are
4 competitors, and 1 winner. After 6 weeks (24 contestants), the 6
winners compete to win the whole thing. Each week's winner receives a
donation to their favorite charity, and the final winner receives a
big donation to their charity. Like the series you're watching, it is
fun to watch because there isn't any nasty back-stabbing and bitching
- just chefs doing their thing. And they're pretty supportive of each
other; and the judges' criticisms are well done. We've had two weeks
of it so far - it's on Wednesday nights, I think.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 > wrote in
:

> We currently have a new series on Bravo called "Top Chef Masters,"
> derived from the popular "Top Chef" reality series. Various already-
> established and usually well-known chefs compete each week - there are
> 4 competitors, and 1 winner. After 6 weeks (24 contestants), the 6
> winners compete to win the whole thing. Each week's winner receives a
> donation to their favorite charity, and the final winner receives a
> big donation to their charity. Like the series you're watching, it is
> fun to watch because there isn't any nasty back-stabbing and bitching
> - just chefs doing their thing. And they're pretty supportive of each
> other; and the judges' criticisms are well done. We've had two weeks
> of it so far - it's on Wednesday nights, I think.

That sounds interesting - I think I would enjoy that. I don't have pay TV
so not sure if it's on here or not. One of the other things I like about
the Masterchef show is that because the competitors are all amateur cooks,
you see them doing things they've never done before, cooking with
ingredients they've never used before, and you can see them improving as
they go on. It's down to 5 now from the top 20 - they're on a visit to Hong
Kong at the moment and having some amazing experiences.

--
Rhonda Anderson
Cranebrook, NSW, Australia

Core of my heart, my country! Land of the rainbow gold,
For flood and fire and famine she pays us back threefold.
My Country, Dorothea MacKellar, 1904

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 24, 4:18 am, Rhonda Anderson > wrote:
> Nancy2 > wrote :
>

> > We currently have a new series on Bravo called "Top Chef Masters,"
> > derived from the popular "Top Chef" reality series. Various already-
> > established and usually well-known chefs compete each week - there are
> > 4 competitors, and 1 winner. After 6 weeks (24 contestants), the 6
> > winners compete to win the whole thing. Each week's winner receives a
> > donation to their favorite charity, and the final winner receives a
> > big donation to their charity. Like the series you're watching, it is
> > fun to watch because there isn't any nasty back-stabbing and bitching
> > - just chefs doing their thing. And they're pretty supportive of each
> > other; and the judges' criticisms are well done. We've had two weeks
> > of it so far - it's on Wednesday nights, I think.

> That sounds interesting - I think I would enjoy that. I don't have pay TV
> so not sure if it's on here or not. One of the other things I like about
> the Masterchef show is that because the competitors are all amateur cooks,
> you see them doing things they've never done before, cooking with
> ingredients they've never used before, and you can see them improving as
> they go on. It's down to 5 now from the top 20 - they're on a visit to Hong
> Kong at the moment and having some amazing experiences.
>
> --
> Rhonda Anderson
> Cranebrook, NSW, Australia
>
> Core of my heart, my country! Land of the rainbow gold,
> For flood and fire and famine she pays us back threefold.
> My Country, Dorothea MacKellar, 1904

Your program sounds more like our "Next Food Network Star" -
competitors are home cooks, sous chefs, etc. - not well known yet -
and some are amateurs. Ours isn't as fun to watch as Top Chef or Top
Chef Masters, because there's way too much contestant blather and not
enough intriguing cooking....

N.