Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My Vodka sauce was too bitter

I made vodka sauce for dinner tonight, but after I was done I found
that the sauce was still really bitter. The recipe was basically 1qt
tomato sauce + 1 cup vodka simmered for 20 minutes, finishing with 1/2
cup cream and 1/2 cup parmesean. Everything I read seemed to suggest
that the alchohol would burn off and there would be little to no
bitterness. Any ideas on my possible error? I used a lower quality
vodka, does that matter? Or maybe just too much?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Max Gutfeld" > wrote in message
>I made vodka sauce for dinner tonight, but after I was done I found
> that the sauce was still really bitter. The recipe was basically 1qt
> tomato sauce + 1 cup vodka simmered for 20 minutes, finishing with 1/2
> cup cream and 1/2 cup parmesean. Everything I read seemed to suggest
> that the alchohol would burn off and there would be little to no
> bitterness. Any ideas on my possible error? I used a lower quality
> vodka, does that matter? Or maybe just too much?

1 cup per quart sounds a tad much, try 2/3rd cup. Maybe you should cook it
longer. Add it after the sauce has cooked for a while. It's usually added
last, then cooked off.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 16, 11:32*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> "Max Gutfeld" > wrote in message

> >I made vodka sauce for dinner tonight, but after I was done I found
> > that the sauce was still really bitter. *The recipe was basically 1qt
> > tomato sauce + 1 cup vodka simmered for 20 minutes, finishing with 1/2
> > cup cream and 1/2 cup parmesean. *Everything I read seemed to suggest
> > that the alchohol would burn off and there would be little to no
> > bitterness. *Any ideas on my possible error? *I used a lower quality
> > vodka, does that matter? *Or maybe just too much?

> 1 cup per quart sounds a tad much, try 2/3rd cup. *Maybe you should cook it
> longer. *Add it after the sauce has cooked for a while. *It's usually added
> last, then cooked off.
>
> Paul

Why do people make vodka sauce? Vodka adds no flavor. Does the 40%
ETOH content extract some water insoluble flavor materials out of the
tomatoes, or what? I just don't get it.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Max Gutfeld > wrote:

> I made vodka sauce for dinner tonight, but after I was done I found
> that the sauce was still really bitter. The recipe was basically 1qt
> tomato sauce + 1 cup vodka simmered for 20 minutes, finishing with 1/2
> cup cream and 1/2 cup parmesean. Everything I read seemed to suggest
> that the alchohol would burn off

Then you need to read the RFC FAQ, which says that the alcohol doesn't
just burn off.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 16, 10:18*pm, Max Gutfeld > wrote:
> I made vodka sauce for dinner tonight, but after I was done I found
> that the sauce was still really bitter. *The recipe was basically 1qt
> tomato sauce + 1 cup vodka simmered for 20 minutes, finishing with 1/2
> cup cream and 1/2 cup parmesean. *Everything I read seemed to suggest
> that the alchohol would burn off and there would be little to no
> bitterness. *Any ideas on my possible error? *I used a lower quality
> vodka, does that matter? *Or maybe just too much?

1 cup seems a bit much. Most recipes I've seen use a fraction of that.
Maybe that was it.

Kris