Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default my weird cutting board

"Tracy" > wrote in message
> So, I moved recently - upstairs. The kitchen has this built in cutting
> board which is driving me crazy.
>
> http://i44.tinypic.com/1zr2jdi.jpg
>
> I wish I could remove it. Any ideas? I think it is just attached and not
> part of the counter. The counter is Formica. I don't want to ruin my
> counter though. We won't be renovating the kitchen for a few years since
> we are just buying the house (closing next week).
>
> If anything I need to clean it somehow. Should I sand it?

IMHO

Step, 1 is to try to clean it with a scrubbee and then some Bartenders
friend. This is a very harsh chemical and abrasive. Use gloves.

Step 2 let it dry thoroughly and see how bad it is. If it's decent then a
touch up sanding with a fine grit will do. If not then you're going to Have
to go through the sanding steps using a power sander. and the different
grits.

Step 3 Finally you'll need to refinish - I would suggest a light coating of
olive oil each day or two for a week allowing the oil to dry and seep into
the wood between coats

I refinish old furniture with EVOO using a brush and a rag allowing the
pieces to dry for several days - you'd be amazed and what a good polish EVOO
is.

Dimitri