Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default kale experiment

I recently made a soup with kielbasa, kale, and potatoes.
I bought too much kale so I had a bunch left over. I decided
to try this recipe.

OVEN-ROASTED KALE

2 bunches kale
2 tablespoons olive oil
2-3 large cloves garlic, minced
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds

Preheat oven to 375F. Rinse the kale and pat dry thoroughly. Remove
and discard the thick ribs and roughly chop the leaves. Pat leaves dry
again. Toss with olive oil, garlic, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.
Spread on a large rimmed baking sheet. Kale does not need to be in a
single layer, as it will shrink in volume as it cooks. Bake for 15-20
minutes, stirring every five minutes or so, until the leaves are tender,
crisp on the edges and slightly browned. Sprinkle with sesame seeds
before serving. Serves 4 as a side dish. (You’ll be surprised how easy
and tasty this kale preparation is. Andrea from Chapel Hill, North
Carolina, sent us this recipe with a note: “It’s the only recipe I’ve
found where the kale is not masked by other flavors or cooking methods,
and it’s crunchy. That makes it fun to eat, plus it’s delicious.” We
are in complete agreement; this recipe quickly became a test kitchen
favorite.)

It turned out exactly as it should have according to the
directions, however I was not pleased with the taste. It
was fairly bitter. Now, the only way I've eaten kale to date
is in soups and I have not noticed that it tasted bitter. So
I was surprised that it did when prepared this way.

I decided to throw the leftover roasted kale into my soup
pot with the rest of the soup since I didn't want to eat it
as it was. It was fine in the soup and no sign of the bitterness
I tasted when I ate it plain. Strange.

But maybe others would like this better than I did. The texture
was nice. And if you like bitter things than you'd love it.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Kale zxcvbob General Cooking 35 18-02-2013 02:50 AM
Kale blake murphy[_2_] General Cooking 5 17-07-2011 11:32 PM
Kale Jerry Avins General Cooking 19 17-07-2011 11:28 PM
Kale and a local locoavore's recipe...using kale and garlicscapes ImStillMags General Cooking 1 01-07-2010 04:39 AM
Kale sf General Cooking 8 19-02-2006 10:18 PM