Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default How to make savoury crepes?

I made chicken crepes today... and they didn't come out anything like
any of the savoury crepes I can remember eating in restaurants. The
filling was quite runny and when I put them in the baking dish and put
some more sauce over them, they ended up limp, soggy and basically
inedible unless you were starving to death. This was one dinner that
ended up in the trash can after two bites because we both agreed it
was plain inedible.

At all was not lost... I have half the crepes left over for dessert
and they taste fine! And I ended up with twice as much sauce as I
needed so I made the rest into cream of chicken soup, and that tasted
fine. But I'd really like to know what went wrong! Does anyone have a
FAILPROOF recipe for stuffed crepes?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kajikit wrote:
> I made chicken crepes today... and they didn't come out anything like
> any of the savoury crepes I can remember eating in restaurants. The
> filling was quite runny and when I put them in the baking dish and put
> some more sauce over them, they ended up limp, soggy and basically
> inedible unless you were starving to death. This was one dinner that
> ended up in the trash can after two bites because we both agreed it
> was plain inedible.
>
> At all was not lost... I have half the crepes left over for dessert
> and they taste fine! And I ended up with twice as much sauce as I
> needed so I made the rest into cream of chicken soup, and that tasted
> fine. But I'd really like to know what went wrong! Does anyone have a
> FAILPROOF recipe for stuffed crepes?

What kind of a sauce did you use? If it was a white sauce base you
probably should have cooked it a little longer to thicken it up. Like
meat pies, it is a bit of a trick to get the right consistency so that
it won't be too runny after the final cooking, and that it doesn't
thicken to the point of being dried out. Being soft to begin with, it
shouldn't be a surprise that crepes get soggy when a wet filling is used.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kajikit > wrote:

> I made chicken crepes today... and they didn't come out anything like
> any of the savoury crepes I can remember eating in restaurants. The
> filling was quite runny and when I put them in the baking dish and put
> some more sauce over them, they ended up limp, soggy and basically
> inedible unless you were starving to death. This was one dinner that
> ended up in the trash can after two bites because we both agreed it
> was plain inedible.
>
> At all was not lost... I have half the crepes left over for dessert
> and they taste fine! And I ended up with twice as much sauce as I
> needed so I made the rest into cream of chicken soup, and that tasted
> fine. But I'd really like to know what went wrong! Does anyone have a
> FAILPROOF recipe for stuffed crepes?

I don't quite get the part with the baking dish...

Savory crepes are served straight out of the crepe pan on to the plate,
then stuff individually as you go, just like sweet ones.

The other way, you may as well use flour tortillas.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 05 May 2009 18:21:37 -0500, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Kajikit > wrote:
>
>> I made chicken crepes today... and they didn't come out anything like
>> any of the savoury crepes I can remember eating in restaurants. The
>> filling was quite runny and when I put them in the baking dish and put
>> some more sauce over them, they ended up limp, soggy and basically
>> inedible unless you were starving to death. This was one dinner that
>> ended up in the trash can after two bites because we both agreed it
>> was plain inedible.
>>
>> At all was not lost... I have half the crepes left over for dessert
>> and they taste fine! And I ended up with twice as much sauce as I
>> needed so I made the rest into cream of chicken soup, and that tasted
>> fine. But I'd really like to know what went wrong! Does anyone have a
>> FAILPROOF recipe for stuffed crepes?

>I don't quite get the part with the baking dish...
>
>Savory crepes are served straight out of the crepe pan on to the plate,
>then stuff individually as you go, just like sweet ones.
>
>The other way, you may as well use flour tortillas.

All the recipes I looked at said stuff, top with cheese, bake.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kajikit > wrote:

> On Tue, 05 May 2009 18:21:37 -0500, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Kajikit > wrote:
> >
> >> I made chicken crepes today... and they didn't come out anything like
> >> any of the savoury crepes I can remember eating in restaurants. The
> >> filling was quite runny and when I put them in the baking dish and put
> >> some more sauce over them, they ended up limp, soggy and basically
> >> inedible unless you were starving to death. This was one dinner that
> >> ended up in the trash can after two bites because we both agreed it
> >> was plain inedible.
> >>
> >> At all was not lost... I have half the crepes left over for dessert
> >> and they taste fine! And I ended up with twice as much sauce as I
> >> needed so I made the rest into cream of chicken soup, and that tasted
> >> fine. But I'd really like to know what went wrong! Does anyone have a
> >> FAILPROOF recipe for stuffed crepes?

> >I don't quite get the part with the baking dish...
> >
> >Savory crepes are served straight out of the crepe pan on to the plate,
> >then stuff individually as you go, just like sweet ones.
> >
> >The other way, you may as well use flour tortillas.

> All the recipes I looked at said stuff, top with cheese, bake.

Ok, but I don't see how to avoid sogginess that way. :-)
We've served crepes here with a selection of stuffings and stuffed as we
ate them. Shrimp, thinly sliced leftover meat, cheeses, etc.

IMHO it's better that way? <shrugs>

Same as serving sweet ones with sweet stuffing selections. Fresh fruits
and various jams, lemon juice and powdered sugar being my personal
favorite.
--
Peace! Om

-- Anon.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> IMHO it's better that way? <shrugs>
>
> Same as serving sweet ones with sweet stuffing selections. Fresh fruits
> and various jams, lemon juice and powdered sugar being my personal
> favorite.

I confess to preferring crepes as a dessert, usually Suzettes or
something along that line. I like to use the leftover crepes with fruit
salad and yogurt. Put a big spoonful of yogurt in a crepe, then some
fruit salad over that. Roll it up and drizzle a little honey over top.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith said...

> Omelet wrote:
>
>> IMHO it's better that way? <shrugs>
>>
>> Same as serving sweet ones with sweet stuffing selections. Fresh fruits
>> and various jams, lemon juice and powdered sugar being my personal
>> favorite.

> I confess to preferring crepes as a dessert, usually Suzettes or
> something along that line. I like to use the leftover crepes with fruit
> salad and yogurt. Put a big spoonful of yogurt in a crepe, then some
> fruit salad over that. Roll it up and drizzle a little honey over top.

When I made crepes, they were mostly savory. I could only make one at a
time on the griddle. Spread about two feet in a diameter circle, then
center filled with ham, cheese, etc. fillings, then top and bottom folded
to cover up the contents, then side to side folded in to encase it all in a
nice rectangular crepe. Flipped onto a warm plate with a teaspoon of
parmesan cheese on top.

Fruit crepes were always just a folded in crepe with fruit piled on top.
Served with a cup of whipped cream or something else, maple syrup. I
forget. Didn't make them often.

Funny, my first crepe served to the public was a fruit crepe, for which I
received compliments to the chef. ))

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:

> When I made crepes, they were mostly savory. I could only make one at a
> time on the griddle. Spread about two feet in a diameter circle, then
> center filled with ham, cheese, etc. fillings, then top and bottom folded
> to cover up the contents, then side to side folded in to encase it all in a
> nice rectangular crepe. Flipped onto a warm plate with a teaspoon of
> parmesan cheese on top.
>
> Fruit crepes were always just a folded in crepe with fruit piled on top.
> Served with a cup of whipped cream or something else, maple syrup. I
> forget. Didn't make them often.

I have had them with whipped cream or ice cream, but I like them a lot
more with the yogurt. They are also good with various preserves.