Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Anniversary of WWII Rationing

On this day in 1942, rationing began in the US. Does anyone here
remember those days?

http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org.../rationing.htm

Most of us can purchase any, and as much food as we ever wanted. What
would our attitude be like, if food, gas, cars and tires were
rationed? Can you imagine driving 35 mph? I thought 55mph under Jimmy
Carter was bad.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 May 2009 10:41:44 -0500, Becca > wrote:

>On this day in 1942, rationing began in the US. Does anyone here
>remember those days?
>

>http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org.../rationing.htm
>

>Most of us can purchase any, and as much food as we ever wanted. What
>would our attitude be like, if food, gas, cars and tires were
>rationed? Can you imagine driving 35 mph? I thought 55mph under Jimmy
>Carter was bad.
>

>Becca

Did we have gas rationing in the '70s?

I was born in 1947 and lived in England until 1955.

Many things were rationed. Meat, sugar, gasoline, eggs. I recall my
mother with coupons.
--
mad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> On this day in 1942, rationing began in the US. Does anyone here
> remember those days?
>
> http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org.../rationing.htm
>

> Most of us can purchase any, and as much food as we ever wanted. What
> would our attitude be like, if food, gas, cars and tires were
> rationed? Can you imagine driving 35 mph? I thought 55mph under Jimmy
> Carter was bad.
>
> Becca

I was 3.5 years old when rationing started but remember it well. Dad
rode a bike to work, twelve blocks each way to the refinery where he
worked shift. We used the car, a 1942 Dodge four-door sedan, to go out
to my uncles farm 22 miles from the city where we lived. There we got
most of the produce and some of the meat we ate.

In addition we had a Victory garden, rabbits in cages, chickens that had
a pen we moved around the backyard so they could eat bugs and grass,
etc. We would take the city bus to the river and fish, plus we used the
car to go out hunting pretty often.

Yeah, I remember picking up scrap metal around the neighborhood for the
war effort, buying ten-cent war stamps at school, saving soap scraps and
remelting them into funny looking bars. My sisters would use a mascara
pencil to draw a line down the back of their legs so it would look like
they were wearing nylons. Still, it was a righteous war, we did all we
could and a great many of the men and women in our family were in
uniform. Luckily, all but one came home from the war.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 May 2009 11:58:18 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Becca wrote;
>
>> On this day in 1942, rationing began in the US. Does anyone here
>> remember those days?
>>

>> http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org.../rationing.htm

I have my Mums three books , one book was unused.. although I don't
know how the rationing differed from the US to Canada

> [...]

>ensure production for national defense and most peep's diets actually
>*improved* during the war, e.g. more fruits and veg, folks grew victory
>gardens, raised poultry, etc. The swells complained about not being able to
>eat steak, but remember that in this era chicken was barely out of the
>"luxury" category. Coffee and a number of spices were in short supply, this
>due to "supply" problems, e.g either the supply of spices was cut off or
>shipping tonnage was needed for war materiel, moving coffee was considered a
>frivolous effort...
>
>Agricultural production was so greatly ramped up that the US and Canada had
>record harvests during the latter war years, so much in fact that it was a
>problem finding enough rail cars to transport all the bounty. We not only
>produced enought to eat well, but fed our allies, and after the war ended,
>our former enemies, too...
>
>During the war many had a decent diet for the first time in their lives, the
>armed forces took in millions of Depression kids who had eaten very poorly
>prior to the war. Three hearty square meals a day were given, in recruiting
>leaflets of the time you'll see that this was stressed, with menu
>descriptions and the like. Sounds pretty mundane to us, but it *was* a big
>deal to those who had struggled to find even three square meals in a
>*week's* time before. Subsidized canteens were set up in factories and
>shipyards for war workers, many even had facilities for take - away meals so
>Rosie The Riveter could feed her family cheaply and so not have to devote
>precious time to cooking...
>
>It's true that "hard goods" like cars, appliances, radios, and clothing and
>shoes were rationed, but the average US citizen's income doubled (some times
>much more than doubled) during the war; the size of the economy doubled.
>There was so much money around that it fed a large black market, and
>consumers spent a lot of bucks on gambliing, nightclubs, movies, liquor,
>un-rationed luxury goods such as jewelry and furs, etc. All that money in
>folks' bank accounts led to a post-war burst of inflation, too much money
>chasing too few goods for a while...
>
>We were lucky - although at war we thrived and most all the population did
>very well, in fact the vast majority of people for the first time in their
>lives made enough money to pay federal income taxes. Also the size of the
>middle class increased hugely, millions of sharecroppers and hillybillies
>and laid - off factory workers were able to eventually own homes, afford
>decent schooling, become business owners, etc. And the percentage of
>national income going to the very rich at the top actually *declined* - hard
>to believe now, huh!?
>
>And didja know that Detroit *begged* FDR to be able to continue some auto
>production during the war, Detroit's rationale was that it would "be good
>for the national morale...there is nothing better to lift peoples' spirits

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote;

> [...]

chasing too few goods for a while...

We were lucky - although at war we thrived and most all the population did
very well, in fact the vast majority of people for the first time in their
lives made enough money to pay federal income taxes. Also the size of the
middle class increased hugely, millions of sharecroppers and hillybillies
and laid - off factory workers were able to eventually own homes, afford
decent schooling, become business owners, etc. And the percentage of
national income going to the very rich at the top actually *declined* - hard
to believe now, huh!?

And didja know that Detroit *begged* FDR to be able to continue some auto
production during the war, Detroit's rationale was that it would "be good
for the national morale...there is nothing better to lift peoples' spirits

Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote on Mon, 04 May 2009 10:41:44 -0500:

> http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org.../rationing.htm

> Most of us can purchase any, and as much food as we ever
> wanted. What would our attitude be like, if food, gas, cars
> and tires were rationed? Can you imagine driving 35 mph? I thought
> 55mph under Jimmy Carter was bad.

I grew up in Britain and encountered rationing in 1939 (we put our car
on blocks in that year). Rationing and shortages persisted after the
war because of ill-advised, if well-meant, social experiments but left
me with a great distaste for necessary waiting in line and no desire to
return to Britain after I emigrated to the US in 1958

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> On this day in 1942, rationing began in the US. Does anyone here
> remember those days?
>
> http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org.../rationing.htm
>

> Most of us can purchase any, and as much food as we ever wanted. What
> would our attitude be like, if food, gas, cars and tires were
> rationed? Can you imagine driving 35 mph? I thought 55mph under Jimmy
> Carter was bad.
>
> Becca

Fascinating (and bookmarked). I didn't know some of those details.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> On this day in 1942, rationing began in the US. Does anyone here
> remember those days?
>
> http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org.../rationing.htm
>

> Most of us can purchase any, and as much food as we ever wanted. What
> would our attitude be like, if food, gas, cars and tires were
> rationed? Can you imagine driving 35 mph? I thought 55mph under Jimmy
> Carter was bad.
>
> Becca

PS With that rationing of canned goods (see page 3), one can see
one reason why Victory Gardens were so popular.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mack A. Damia wrote:

> On Mon, 04 May 2009 10:41:44 -0500, Becca > wrote:
>
> >On this day in 1942, rationing began in the US. Does anyone here
> >remember those days?
> >

> >http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org.../rationing.htm
> >

> >Most of us can purchase any, and as much food as we ever wanted. What
> >would our attitude be like, if food, gas, cars and tires were
> >rationed? Can you imagine driving 35 mph? I thought 55mph under Jimmy
> >Carter was bad.
> >

> >Becca

> Did we have gas rationing in the '70s?
>
> I was born in 1947 and lived in England until 1955.
>
> Many things were rationed. Meat, sugar, gasoline, eggs. I recall my
> mother with coupons.

Rationing in the UK ended only in 1954...meat and bacon were the last things
taken off ration.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationi...United_Kingdom

"Rationing continued after the end of the war. In fact, it became stricter
after the war ended than during the hostilities. Bread, which was not
rationed during the war, was rationed beginning in 1946 and potato rationing
began in 1947. This was largely due to the necessity of feeding the
population of European areas coming under British control, whose economies
had been devastated by the fighting. Sweet rationing ended in February 1953,
and sugar rationing ended in the September. The end of all food rationing
did not come until 4 July 1954, with meat and bacon the last to go. Some of
the ersatz foods like apple crumble and carrot cake continue to be popular
today..."

</>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Becca" > wrote in message
> On this day in 1942, rationing began in the US. Does anyone here remember
> those days?
>
> http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org.../rationing.htm
>

> Most of us can purchase any, and as much food as we ever wanted. What
> would our attitude be like, if food, gas, cars and tires were rationed?
> Can you imagine driving 35 mph? I thought 55mph under Jimmy Carter was
> bad.
>
> Becca

It's not bad "Don't You Know There's A War Going On? WWII Mantra

Born a year late - But I do remember Gabriel Heater if that counts

GABRIEL HEATTER DURING WWII
GABRIEL HEATTER WAS A NEWS BROADCASTER/COMMENTATOR DURING WW II WHO WAS ON
RADIO IN THE EVENING. I BELIEVE HE WAS ON WOR RADIO AT THE TIME. He was
famous for his opening address, that began: "Ahhhhhh, my friends! There's
good news tonight!" Rarely would he begin with: "Oh! There's bad news
tonight!" His was the voice of optimism.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 May 2009 12:40:34 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Mack A. Damia wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 04 May 2009 10:41:44 -0500, Becca > wrote:
>>
>> >On this day in 1942, rationing began in the US. Does anyone here
>> >remember those days?
>> >

>> >http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org.../rationing.htm
>> >

>> >Most of us can purchase any, and as much food as we ever wanted. What
>> >would our attitude be like, if food, gas, cars and tires were
>> >rationed? Can you imagine driving 35 mph? I thought 55mph under Jimmy
>> >Carter was bad.
>> >

>> >Becca

>> Did we have gas rationing in the '70s?
>>
>> I was born in 1947 and lived in England until 1955.
>>
>> Many things were rationed. Meat, sugar, gasoline, eggs. I recall my
>> mother with coupons.

>Rationing in the UK ended only in 1954...meat and bacon were the last things
>taken off ration.
>
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationi...United_Kingdom
>

>"Rationing continued after the end of the war. In fact, it became stricter
>after the war ended than during the hostilities. Bread, which was not
>rationed during the war, was rationed beginning in 1946 and potato rationing
>began in 1947. This was largely due to the necessity of feeding the
>population of European areas coming under British control, whose economies
>had been devastated by the fighting. Sweet rationing ended in February 1953,
>and sugar rationing ended in the September. The end of all food rationing
>did not come until 4 July 1954, with meat and bacon the last to go. Some of
>the ersatz foods like apple crumble and carrot cake continue to be popular
>today..."
>

></>

Thanks for that. I'll pass the information onto my older sister;
she'll remember a little better than me.
--
mad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mack A. Damia wrote:

> On Mon, 4 May 2009 12:40:34 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>

> >Mack A. Damia wrote:

Jimmy

> >> Did we have gas rationing in the '70s?
> >>
> >> I was born in 1947 and lived in England until 1955.
> >>
> >> Many things were rationed. Meat, sugar, gasoline, eggs. I recall my
> >> mother with coupons.

> >Rationing in the UK ended only in 1954...meat and bacon were the last

things
> >taken off ration.
> >
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationi...United_Kingdom
> >

> >"Rationing continued after the end of the war. In fact, it became

stricter
> >after the war ended than during the hostilities. Bread, which was not
> >rationed during the war, was rationed beginning in 1946 and potato

rationing
> >began in 1947. This was largely due to the necessity of feeding the
> >population of European areas coming under British control, whose

economies
> >had been devastated by the fighting. Sweet rationing ended in February

1953,
> >and sugar rationing ended in the September. The end of all food rationing
> >did not come until 4 July 1954, with meat and bacon the last to go. Some

of
> >the ersatz foods like apple crumble and carrot cake continue to be

popular
> >today..."
> >

> ></>

> Thanks for that. I'll pass the information onto my older sister;
> she'll remember a little better than me.

At one time Sainsbury's website had a fine section on WWII rationing, I just
checked and it's disappeared. Very unfortunate, it was well put-together
with illustrations of ration stamps and the like. The wiki article has a
few other links and some illustrations...

Rationing still rears it's head in our modern times. In the early 90's I
was penfriends with a young family who lived in Moscow. This was a period
of great hardship, the USSR was in the process of collapsing, along with
it's economy. Food was a problem and so was rationed. The lady sent me
books of ration stamps printed on cheap recycled paper, she laughingly said
that they were useless as there were not even any of the rationed goods in
the store. The coupons were for staples such as milk, meat, bread, etc.
How the mighty USSR had fallen...!!!

On weekends they'd fly down to the Ukraine and Crimea to buy food, the
supplies there were better. The family also had a "dacha" in the suburbs
with a big garden, they put up things like potatoes, onions, and carrots in
a shallow root cellar and made pickled veg, etc. I think they also had a
few hens or rabbits, they also foraged for berries and mushrooms and such in
the forests, a traditional Russian pastime in any case...

I'd send them "care" packages of things, primarily food. Sugar, sweets,
tea, coffee, spices, pasta, even rice. Soviet customs rules were eased, you
could send parcels with most any packaged food item, before it was
restrictive, with onerous duties for the recipient besides. The US Postal
Service for a time even had a special "Emergency Airlift" rate for airmail
parcels to the USSR, it was the standard surface rate plus one dollar per
pound. I sent quite a few packages over to them. The poor sods had lost
the Cold War and they were collapsing, it was the least I could do to send
this nice family some food parcels...

Those days are remembered with shame by Russians, it was a very dire time.
Now there is plenty of food for everyone, nice supermarkets and plush restos
and McDonald's and the like...

Who rations now? Cuba, North Korea, that I know of...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 May 2009 13:33:15 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Mack A. Damia wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 4 May 2009 12:40:34 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
>> > wrote:

>Jimmy

>> >Rationing in the UK ended only in 1954...meat and bacon were the last

>things
>> >taken off ration.
>> >
>> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationi...United_Kingdom
>> >

>> >"Rationing continued after the end of the war. In fact, it became

>stricter
>> >after the war ended than during the hostilities. Bread, which was not
>> >rationed during the war, was rationed beginning in 1946 and potato

>rationing
>> >began in 1947. This was largely due to the necessity of feeding the
>> >population of European areas coming under British control, whose

>economies
>> >had been devastated by the fighting. Sweet rationing ended in February

>1953,
>> >and sugar rationing ended in the September. The end of all food rationing
>> >did not come until 4 July 1954, with meat and bacon the last to go. Some

>of
>> >the ersatz foods like apple crumble and carrot cake continue to be

>popular
>> >today..."
>> >

>> ></>

>> Thanks for that. I'll pass the information onto my older sister;
>> she'll remember a little better than me.

>At one time Sainsbury's website had a fine section on WWII rationing, I just
>checked and it's disappeared. Very unfortunate, it was well put-together
>with illustrations of ration stamps and the like. The wiki article has a
>few other links and some illustrations...

I seem to remember something about it from another newsgroup

>Rationing still rears it's head in our modern times. In the early 90's I
>was penfriends with a young family who lived in Moscow. This was a period
>of great hardship, the USSR was in the process of collapsing, along with
>it's economy. Food was a problem and so was rationed. The lady sent me
>books of ration stamps printed on cheap recycled paper, she laughingly said
>that they were useless as there were not even any of the rationed goods in
>the store. The coupons were for staples such as milk, meat, bread, etc.
>How the mighty USSR had fallen...!!!

I think we starved it out of existence through unfavorable trade
practices, embargos, etc. Recall the 1980's and the "Evil Empire".
Good reason for "hands off".

Demonize them.

>On weekends they'd fly down to the Ukraine and Crimea to buy food, the
>supplies there were better. The family also had a "dacha" in the suburbs
>with a big garden, they put up things like potatoes, onions, and carrots in
>a shallow root cellar and made pickled veg, etc. I think they also had a
>few hens or rabbits, they also foraged for berries and mushrooms and such in
>the forests, a traditional Russian pastime in any case...
>
>I'd send them "care" packages of things, primarily food. Sugar, sweets,
>tea, coffee, spices, pasta, even rice. Soviet customs rules were eased, you
>could send parcels with most any packaged food item, before it was
>restrictive, with onerous duties for the recipient besides. The US Postal
>Service for a time even had a special "Emergency Airlift" rate for airmail
>parcels to the USSR, it was the standard surface rate plus one dollar per
>pound. I sent quite a few packages over to them. The poor sods had lost
>the Cold War and they were collapsing, it was the least I could do to send
>this nice family some food parcels...
>
>Those days are remembered with shame by Russians, it was a very dire time.
>Now there is plenty of food for everyone, nice supermarkets and plush restos
>and McDonald's and the like...
>
>Who rations now? Cuba, North Korea, that I know of...

Carter threatened to ration in 1979 and even had coupons printed, but
he never went through with it.

Surely there's a lot more "unofficial" rationing that goes on
throughout the world - particularly within the poor countries. The
best is skimmed off the top and the masses are left with the dregs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dimitri wrote:

> "Becca" > wrote in message
> > On this day in 1942, rationing began in the US. Does anyone here

remember
> > those days?
> >
> > http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org.../rationing.htm
> >

> > Most of us can purchase any, and as much food as we ever wanted. What
> > would our attitude be like, if food, gas, cars and tires were rationed?
> > Can you imagine driving 35 mph? I thought 55mph under Jimmy Carter was
> > bad.
> >
> > Becca

> It's not bad "Don't You Know There's A War Going On? WWII Mantra
>
> Born a year late - But I do remember Gabriel Heater if that counts
>

> GABRIEL HEATTER DURING WWII
> GABRIEL HEATTER WAS A NEWS BROADCASTER/COMMENTATOR DURING WW II WHO WAS ON
> RADIO IN THE EVENING. I BELIEVE HE WAS ON WOR RADIO AT THE TIME. He was
> famous for his opening address, that began: "Ahhhhhh, my friends! There's
> good news tonight!" Rarely would he begin with: "Oh! There's bad news
> tonight!" His was the voice of optimism.

IIRC he has a bit at the beginning of _The Day The Earth Stood Still_, when
all the newscasters are broadcasting the arrival of the flying saucer...a
real character.

Speaking of radio, didja know that it's recently the 99th birthday of the
wonderful Norman Corwin...he is still going strong. Listen to his _On A
Note Of Triumph_ and you are guaranteed to cry. Go he

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4668028

"NPR.org, May 26, 2005 · On May 8, 1945, 60 million Americans tuned in to
hear On A Note of Triumph, Norman Corwin's radio masterpiece marking the end
of World War II in Europe. Lauded by Carl Sandburg as "one of the all-time
great American poems," it was the most listened-to radio drama in U.S.
history.

In celebration of the 60th anniversary of the historic broadcast, NPR offers
the original presentation as it was first heard and a 1995 documentary
produced by Mary Beth Kirchner along with Corwin -- now 95 -- to commemorate
the radio classic..."

</>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 11:41*am, Becca > wrote:
> On this day in 1942, rationing began in the US. *Does anyone here
> remember those days?

There were those little red meat discs. We used em as play money
after the war. Also, the habit of crushing cans stuck - at least it
helped the trash can from filling too fast. The public school
teachers were selected to administer the ration cards etc.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 11:41*am, Becca > wrote:
> On this day in 1942, rationing began in the US. *Does anyone here
> remember those days?
>
> http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org.../rationing.htm
>
> Most of us can purchase any, and as much food as we ever wanted. *What
> would our attitude be like, if food, gas, cars and tires were
> rationed? * Can you imagine driving 35 mph? *I thought 55mph under Jimmy
> Carter was bad.
>
> Becca

I believe that the little black dress came into vogue then - as the
amount of material in a garment was defined.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mack A. Damia wrote:

> On Mon, 4 May 2009 13:33:15 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> > wrote:
>

> >Mack A. Damia wrote:
> >
> >> On Mon, 4 May 2009 12:40:34 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"

What

> >Jimmy

my

> >things

> >stricter

> >rationing

> >economies

> >1953,

rationing

Some
> >of

> >popular

> >> Thanks for that. I'll pass the information onto my older sister;
> >> she'll remember a little better than me.

> >At one time Sainsbury's website had a fine section on WWII rationing, I

just
> >checked and it's disappeared. Very unfortunate, it was well put-together
> >with illustrations of ration stamps and the like. The wiki article has a
> >few other links and some illustrations...

> I seem to remember something about it from another newsgroup
>
> >Rationing still rears it's head in our modern times. In the early 90's I
> >was penfriends with a young family who lived in Moscow. This was a

period
> >of great hardship, the USSR was in the process of collapsing, along with
> >it's economy. Food was a problem and so was rationed. The lady sent me
> >books of ration stamps printed on cheap recycled paper, she laughingly

said
> >that they were useless as there were not even any of the rationed goods

in
> >the store. The coupons were for staples such as milk, meat, bread, etc.
> >How the mighty USSR had fallen...!!!

> I think we starved it out of existence through unfavorable trade
> practices, embargos, etc. Recall the 1980's and the "Evil Empire".
> Good reason for "hands off".
>
> Demonize them.

Part of it was that Soviet agro was in dire straits by around 1970, they
could not feed their own people. In the late 50's Khruschev had visited
America and was most impressed by US agriculture, he became friends with
Roswell Garst, a wealthy Iowa corn (maize to those in the UK) grower and
sought advice from Garst. Mr, K. thought that growing corn would help the
USSR's food situation, but he foolishly sought to grow corn in the desert
lands of Central Asia with his mis-begotten "Virgin Lands" programs. This
scheme was one of the reasons for his eventual ouster in 1964, and Soviet
agriculture did not bother again with "experiments"...

In later years the Soviets permitted farmer's markets, collective farmers
could sell their "excess" produce from their private plots and such there.
In some places a decently fair percentage of food sold was sold from these
markets. Melons, grapes, citrus, etc. were grown in Georgia and other
southern republics, the growers would fly up to Moscow or Kiev or Leningrad
to sell, some made a very prosperous living.

In any case the West gave large import credits to the USSR during the
Nixon-Ford-Carter years of "detente" with the USSR, the country in some
years imported huge amounts of grain from Canada, the US, etc. At one time
the Russian lands were a big food exporter, the "Black Earth" region in the
Ukraine was called "Europe's Breadbasket" pre-revolution, communism reduced
even these rich resource bases to a low level, the fact they could not feed
themselves was pretty damning.

Reagan got tough on the USSR, ended those trade credits, etc. Yeah, the
USSR could not afford both guns and butter, we in the West were far advanced
and so spent 'em into the ground...

> >On weekends they'd fly down to the Ukraine and Crimea to buy food, the
> >supplies there were better. The family also had a "dacha" in the suburbs
> >with a big garden, they put up things like potatoes, onions, and carrots

in
> >a shallow root cellar and made pickled veg, etc. I think they also had a
> >few hens or rabbits, they also foraged for berries and mushrooms and such

in
> >the forests, a traditional Russian pastime in any case...
> >
> >I'd send them "care" packages of things, primarily food. Sugar, sweets,
> >tea, coffee, spices, pasta, even rice. Soviet customs rules were eased,

you
> >could send parcels with most any packaged food item, before it was
> >restrictive, with onerous duties for the recipient besides. The US

Postal
> >Service for a time even had a special "Emergency Airlift" rate for

airmail
> >parcels to the USSR, it was the standard surface rate plus one dollar per
> >pound. I sent quite a few packages over to them. The poor sods had lost
> >the Cold War and they were collapsing, it was the least I could do to

send
> >this nice family some food parcels...
> >
> >Those days are remembered with shame by Russians, it was a very dire

time.
> >Now there is plenty of food for everyone, nice supermarkets and plush

restos
> >and McDonald's and the like...
> >
> >Who rations now? Cuba, North Korea, that I know of...

> Carter threatened to ration in 1979 and even had coupons printed, but
> he never went through with it.
>
> Surely there's a lot more "unofficial" rationing that goes on
> throughout the world - particularly within the poor countries. The
> best is skimmed off the top and the masses are left with the dregs.

Very true, especially in places in Africa. Zimbabwe is one sad example...

Cuba is another place that rations, they need the know -how and private
enterprise to help them thrive...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 4, 11:41 am, Becca > wrote:
> On this day in 1942, rationing began in the US. Does anyone here
> remember those days?
>
> http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org.../rationing.htm
>
> Most of us can purchase any, and as much food as we ever wanted. What
> would our attitude be like, if food, gas, cars and tires were
> rationed? Can you imagine driving 35 mph? I thought 55mph under Jimmy
> Carter was bad.
>
> Becca

I believe that the little black dress came into vogue then - as the
amount of material in a garment was defined.
-------------

GM replies:

Stuff like fewer pleats, few decorations and frills, cuff-less trousers for
men, little or no linings for garments...

The "little black dress" actually goes to back to the 20's, Coco Chanel
originated it, but it was perfect for wartime. For cocktails a woman could
wear a knee-length simpler dress, no gown required..."for the duration".

In 1948 Dior's "New Look" came in, with low voluminous skirts, huge
petticoats, rich fabrics, the female form extremely corseted and "pinched" -
a refutation of austere - appearing garments of the WWII era.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 May 2009 14:13:55 -0500, "Gregory Morrow"
> wrote:

>Cuba is another place that rations, they need the know -how and private
>enterprise to help them thrive...

Once again I must point out that we have demonized Cuba since Castro
took over. No president has ever thought about extending an olive
branch; Cuba has always been a hot potato ever since JFK.

Castro rather successfully thumbed his nose at the Mighty Eagle for
decades.

Capitalism and private enterprise may not be a good fit for them,
anthropologically speaking. They have a combination of
Native-American and Spanish blood and are, by and large, Roman
Catholic in faith. They will most likely gravitate towards socialism
in some way or shape, and they will gradually institute more open and
free elections in the years ahead.

However, I agree that some kind of open and free market system with
competition is sorely needed.
--
mad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> [...]

> I'd send them "care" packages of things, primarily food. Sugar,
> sweets, tea, coffee, spices, pasta, even rice. Soviet customs rules
> were eased, you could send parcels with most any packaged food item,
> before it was restrictive, with onerous duties for the recipient
> besides. The US Postal Service for a time even had a special
> "Emergency Airlift" rate for airmail parcels to the USSR, it was the
> standard surface rate plus one dollar per pound. I sent quite a few
> packages over to them. The poor sods had lost the Cold War and they
> were collapsing, it was the least I could do to send this nice family
> some food parcels...
>
> Those days are remembered with shame by Russians, it was a very dire
> time. Now there is plenty of food for everyone, nice supermarkets and
> plush restos and McDonald's and the like...
>
> Who rations now? Cuba, North Korea, that I know of...

Most enjoyable post, Greg.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> > wrote:
>
> On May 4, 11:41 am, Becca > wrote:
>> On this day in 1942, rationing began in the US. Does anyone here
>> remember those days?
>>
>> http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org.../rationing.htm
>>
>> Most of us can purchase any, and as much food as we ever wanted. What
>> would our attitude be like, if food, gas, cars and tires were
>> rationed? Can you imagine driving 35 mph? I thought 55mph under Jimmy
>> Carter was bad.
>>
>> Becca

> I believe that the little black dress came into vogue then - as the
> amount of material in a garment was defined.
> -------------
>
> GM replies:
>
> Stuff like fewer pleats, few decorations and frills, cuff-less
> trousers for men, little or no linings for garments...
>
> The "little black dress" actually goes to back to the 20's, Coco
> Chanel originated it, but it was perfect for wartime. For cocktails
> a woman could wear a knee-length simpler dress, no gown
> required..."for the duration".
>
> In 1948 Dior's "New Look" came in, with low voluminous skirts, huge
> petticoats, rich fabrics, the female form extremely corseted and
> "pinched" - a refutation of austere - appearing garments of the WWII
> era.

What a very knowledgeable boy you are, m'dear)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

snip

Well, as a WASP of that era, being born in 1937, I recall a bit.
-I recall massaging the oleo with the coloring to make it look like butter.
-I recall saving tinfoil and taking it to the school.
-I recall getting into the Tuesday movies for either a metal spoon or a
can of food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 04 May 2009 10:41:44 -0500, Becca > wrote:

>On this day in 1942, rationing began in the US. Does anyone here
>remember those days?
>

>http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org.../rationing.htm

I was 7 when food rationing was instituted in Canada in January of '42
and gas rationing started in April of the same year. My dad walked to
work at the largest employer in town, a woolen mill that was working
24 hours a day, 7 days a week making khaki material for uniforms. My
mother worked at home doing what was called Burling & Mending, which
was repairing small flaws in the material from the mill. She made jams
and jellies and preserved vegetables in a way that is not recommended
in this day and age. She also had a knack for making small amounts of
food go a long way.
I believe my experience during those lean years accounts for my
propensity still today, to buy up food bargains when I see them and
store them away. At least that's my story and I'll stick to it ;-).

Ross.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jim wrote on Mon, 04 May 2009 13:21:24 -0700:

> snip
> >> Well, as a WASP of that era, being born in 1937, I recall a

> bit. -I recall massaging the oleo with the coloring to make it
> look like butter.

That was nothing to do with rationing but with lobbying by Wisconsin
butter producers to protect their product.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I still have some of the ration coupons that my mother saved. She and
grandma used to save their coupons so that us kids (I had four brothers at
the time) could have shoes. I sure learned to never waste anything from my
mom.

"Becca" > wrote in message
> On this day in 1942, rationing began in the US. Does anyone here remember
> those days?
>
> http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org.../rationing.htm
>

> Most of us can purchase any, and as much food as we ever wanted. What
> would our attitude be like, if food, gas, cars and tires were rationed?
> Can you imagine driving 35 mph? I thought 55mph under Jimmy Carter was
> bad.
>
> Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article > , "Gregory Morrow" > wrote:
<snip>
>the ersatz foods like apple crumble and carrot cake continue to be popular today..."

Apple crumble is the best way to eat the bloody things -- especially
with a generous layer of cream.

But I prefer banana cake to carrot cake. :-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not> wrote:
> Becca wrote on Mon, 04 May 2009 10:41:44 -0500:
>
>> http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org.../rationing.htm

>> Most of us can purchase any, and as much food as we ever
>> wanted. What would our attitude be like, if food, gas, cars
>> and tires were rationed? Can you imagine driving 35 mph? I thought
>> 55mph under Jimmy Carter was bad.

>I grew up in Britain and encountered rationing in 1939 (we put our car
>on blocks in that year). Rationing and shortages persisted after the
>war because of ill-advised, if well-meant, social experiments but left
>me with a great distaste for necessary waiting in line and no desire to
>return to Britain after I emigrated to the US in 1958

I don't recall much about rationing as such during WWII here in Oz.
Probably things like fuel and oil and rubber were rationed, but many
things were simply not available at all. The fuel rationing was
probably no big deal for most folk in country towns such as where I
lived because cars weren't common anyway and most people had bikes.
My father had a 1937 Ford W7 (the forerunner of the Prefect I believe)
but we only travelled 4 miles per week in it for a Sunday visit to my
old grandmother. (The Ford never went over 30 mph with my father
driving, but I got it up to about 43.5 when I got my licence in the
late 50s. :-)

In 1947 we flew to Brisbane in a DC3. At the stopover in Townsville
we had to change planes -- I guess an engineer had noticed the oil
plume from the port engine that I had been watching out the window!
From Tvl to Bne was non-stop and I recall my father being very
enthusiastic about being offered a cold beer at 9000 feet over
Rockhampton. For years I thought it was because it might have been a
bit hard to get a beer on the ground; but I later came to suspect it
was just that you couldn't get a decent beer on the ground within the
ambit of the dreadful Mac's Beer brewery in Rocky! (Northbound train
travellers always breathed a sigh of relief and quenched their thirst
on getting to Marlborough where the Cairns brewery's beer ruled. :-)

Oh, and I seem to recall people here in Oz sending sundry food parcels
to their relatives still confined to Pommerania. (Of course, we were
soon importing whole Poms and other Europeans at ten quid a throw. ;-)

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote;

> Gregory Morrow wrote:
> > > wrote:
> >
> > On May 4, 11:41 am, Becca > wrote:
> >> On this day in 1942, rationing began in the US. Does anyone here
> >> remember those days?
> >>
> >> http://www.ameshistoricalsociety.org.../rationing.htm
> >>
> >> Most of us can purchase any, and as much food as we ever wanted. What
> >> would our attitude be like, if food, gas, cars and tires were
> >> rationed? Can you imagine driving 35 mph? I thought 55mph under Jimmy
> >> Carter was bad.
> >>
> >> Becca

> > I believe that the little black dress came into vogue then - as the
> > amount of material in a garment was defined.
> > -------------
> >
> > GM replies:
> >
> > Stuff like fewer pleats, few decorations and frills, cuff-less
> > trousers for men, little or no linings for garments...
> >
> > The "little black dress" actually goes to back to the 20's, Coco
> > Chanel originated it, but it was perfect for wartime. For cocktails
> > a woman could wear a knee-length simpler dress, no gown
> > required..."for the duration".
> >
> > In 1948 Dior's "New Look" came in, with low voluminous skirts, huge
> > petticoats, rich fabrics, the female form extremely corseted and
> > "pinched" - a refutation of austere - appearing garments of the WWII
> > era.

> What a very knowledgeable boy you are, m'dear)

My noggin is full of all kinds of trivia, Ms. O...

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gregory Morrow wrote:

>>> I believe that the little black dress came into vogue then - as the
>>> amount of material in a garment was defined.
>>> -------------
>>>
>>> GM replies:
>>>
>>> Stuff like fewer pleats, few decorations and frills, cuff-less
>>> trousers for men, little or no linings for garments...
>>>
>>> The "little black dress" actually goes to back to the 20's, Coco
>>> Chanel originated it, but it was perfect for wartime. For cocktails
>>> a woman could wear a knee-length simpler dress, no gown
>>> required..."for the duration".
>>>
>>> In 1948 Dior's "New Look" came in, with low voluminous skirts, huge
>>> petticoats, rich fabrics, the female form extremely corseted and
>>> "pinched" - a refutation of austere - appearing garments of the WWII
>>> era.

>> What a very knowledgeable boy you are, m'dear)

> My noggin is full of all kinds of trivia, Ms. O...

Then let that noggin put forth many kinds of trivia for my delectation

My work was in Social History and I love every area which it covers)

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Mon, 04 May 2009 10:41:44 -0500, Becca > shouted
from the highest rooftop:

>On this day in 1942, rationing began in the US. Does anyone here
>remember those days?

I wasn't born until 7 days after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, so I
don't remember the early days of rationing. But I do remember the
taste of Spam and Velveeta and have hated them with a passion ever
since.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Mon, 04 May 2009 10:41:44 -0500, Becca > shouted
> from the highest rooftop:
>
>>On this day in 1942, rationing began in the US. Does anyone here
>>remember those days?

I was born in 1939 and remember some of the problems my mother had shopping.
We moved to a different state in 1944 and she had a lot of propblems there
getting contacts with the local food suppliers to secure the food my father
wanted (mainly good cuts of beef).

But mainly remember the problems getting shoes for me (a growing child) and
tires for the car - both because of rationing.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day
As long as you are learning, you are living
When you stop learning, you start dying

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Thu, 07 May 2009 10:32:57 GMT, (Phred)

wrote:
>>On Mon, 04 May 2009 10:41:44 -0500, Becca > shouted
>>from the highest rooftop:
>>
>>>On this day in 1942, rationing began in the US. Does anyone here
>>>remember those days?

>>I wasn't born until 7 days after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, so I
>>don't remember the early days of rationing. But I do remember the
>>taste of Spam and Velveeta and have hated them with a passion ever
>>since.

>I've never eaten Velveeta -- then again, perhaps I have as I've really
>got no bloody idea what it is! 8-)
>
>As for Spam -- I was fascinated by stores in Guam a decade ago with
>whole walls full of that tinned stuff in its various incarnations.
>(Got a photo somwhere, but it was on film so not easily displayed for
>your enjoyment. :-) On return to Oz I was sufficiently curious as to
>buy a tin to try it. Probably won't bother again.
>
>Of course, we have our own version of such tinned "meat" in a product
>called "Luncheon Beef" IIRC. Maybe you have that one too?
>
>Cheers, Phred.

My wife, who was born a year and a half earlier than I and grew up in
wartime/postwar England, loves Spam and canned Corned Beef and eats it
from time to time with eggs or on toast. But I haven't seen any
Luncheon Beef in the pantry.

And except for the occasional slice or two of bacon (honorary
lettuce), a soup flavoured with a bacon hock (negligible meat) or a
few thin slices of eye fillet steak seared blood rare (honorary beet),
I don't eat red meat (and haven't since 1968).

But I do eat chicken, turkey, duck, etc and just about anything that
comes from the water.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
>>> On Mon, 04 May 2009 10:41:44 -0500, Becca > shouted
>> >from the highest rooftop:
>>> I wasn't born until 7 days after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, so I
>>> don't remember the early days of rationing. But I do remember the
>>> taste of Spam and Velveeta and have hated them with a passion ever
>>> since.

>> I've never eaten Velveeta -- then again, perhaps I have as I've really
>> got no bloody idea what it is! 8-)
>>
>> As for Spam -- I was fascinated by stores in Guam a decade ago with
>> whole walls full of that tinned stuff in its various incarnations.
>> (Got a photo somwhere, but it was on film so not easily displayed for
>> your enjoyment. :-) On return to Oz I was sufficiently curious as to
>> buy a tin to try it. Probably won't bother again.
>>
>> Of course, we have our own version of such tinned "meat" in a product
>> called "Luncheon Beef" IIRC. Maybe you have that one too?
>>
>> Cheers, Phred.

> My wife, who was born a year and a half earlier than I and grew up in
> wartime/postwar England, loves Spam and canned Corned Beef and eats it
> from time to time with eggs or on toast. But I haven't seen any
> Luncheon Beef in the pantry.

I'm like your wife, have to have the occasional can of Spam for DW and
I. We generally fry it and have it with eggs, the way our Mom's cooked
it for us during WWII. I still like and eat corned beef hash and love
corned beef sandwiches. Things you ate as a kid stick with you forever.
I even like the old C rations I used to get in the military in the
fifties and sixties, lots of the guys would turn up their nose but
several of us liked them. Have never eaten an MRE but hear they're
pretty good. Opinions of food depend upon how hungry you've ever been I
reckon.

> And except for the occasional slice or two of bacon (honorary
> lettuce), a soup flavoured with a bacon hock (negligible meat) or a
> few thin slices of eye fillet steak seared blood rare (honorary beet),
> I don't eat red meat (and haven't since 1968).
>
> But I do eat chicken, turkey, duck, etc and just about anything that
> comes from the water.

I eat all of that and the beef too, in moderation of course, no more
than a hind quarter at a sitting. <G>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yes, I remember even tho I was still in school then, never went without
stuff tho, guess never had that much to begin with., Remember going to
store with Mom, and using those stamps that they gave you because you
could only buy so much sugar and what ever. The old days, and we all
lived thru them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Thu, 07 May 2009 17:53:43 -0500, George Shirley
> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>> And except for the occasional slice or two of bacon (honorary
>> lettuce), a soup flavoured with a bacon hock (negligible meat) or a
>> few thin slices of eye fillet steak seared blood rare (honorary beet),
>> I don't eat red meat (and haven't since 1968).
>>
>> But I do eat chicken, turkey, duck, etc and just about anything that
>> comes from the water.
>>

>I eat all of that and the beef too, in moderation of course, no more
>than a hind quarter at a sitting. <G>

Then you'd love the guy on a neighbouring farm who keeps on offering
to bring over "half a beast" for our freezer. It should last you a
couple of meals at least ;-)b

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

bob wrote:
> On Thu, 07 May 2009 17:53:43 -0500, George Shirley
> > shouted from the highest rooftop:
>
>>> And except for the occasional slice or two of bacon (honorary
>>> lettuce), a soup flavoured with a bacon hock (negligible meat) or a
>>> few thin slices of eye fillet steak seared blood rare (honorary beet),
>>> I don't eat red meat (and haven't since 1968).
>>>
>>> But I do eat chicken, turkey, duck, etc and just about anything that
>>> comes from the water.
>>>

>> I eat all of that and the beef too, in moderation of course, no more
>> than a hind quarter at a sitting. <G>

> Then you'd love the guy on a neighbouring farm who keeps on offering
> to bring over "half a beast" for our freezer. It should last you a
> couple of meals at least ;-)b

Friend of mine has two calves in the fattening pen at the moment. Be in
there at least another month. Then we butcher and I get half of one of
them for helping pay for the feed and helping with the butchering.
ACtually I do most of it for him anyway, I've been cutting up critters
most of my life so it's fairly easy for me. He's got all the nice
stainless meat saws, grinders and such, makes it easy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Thu, 07 May 2009 20:14:40 -0500, George Shirley
> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>bob wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 May 2009 17:53:43 -0500, George Shirley
>> > shouted from the highest rooftop:

>>> I eat all of that and the beef too, in moderation of course, no more
>>> than a hind quarter at a sitting. <G>

>> Then you'd love the guy on a neighbouring farm who keeps on offering
>> to bring over "half a beast" for our freezer. It should last you a
>> couple of meals at least ;-)b

>Friend of mine has two calves in the fattening pen at the moment. Be in
>there at least another month. Then we butcher and I get half of one of
>them for helping pay for the feed and helping with the butchering.
>ACtually I do most of it for him anyway, I've been cutting up critters
>most of my life so it's fairly easy for me. He's got all the nice
>stainless meat saws, grinders and such, makes it easy.

Except for plucking & dressing the occasional fowl, my only experience
with dressing & butchering something big was a wild goat a former
neighbour shot in Malibu years ago.

I think the correct term would be "poached" and it was my job to help
him carry it back to his station wagon.

Once we got it back to his place a few minutes later he figured it was
time for me to learn about these things so he handed me his razor
sharp hunting knife and took me through the stages of gutting and
skinning the doe before he took over and expertly butchered it. I was
still eating red meat in those days and what he didn't give away
around the beach he transformed into a beautiful leg roast and later,
stews that fed a whole lot of grateful surfers.

BTW - every year or so I get a craving for red meat which I satisfy
with a small, well aged eye fillet steak seared blood rare and enjoy
every mouthful.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 May 2009 20:14:40 -0500, George Shirley wrote:

> bob wrote:
>> On Thu, 07 May 2009 17:53:43 -0500, George Shirley
>> > shouted from the highest rooftop:

>>> I eat all of that and the beef too, in moderation of course, no more
>>> than a hind quarter at a sitting. <G>

>> Then you'd love the guy on a neighbouring farm who keeps on offering
>> to bring over "half a beast" for our freezer. It should last you a
>> couple of meals at least ;-)b

> Friend of mine has two calves in the fattening pen at the moment. Be in
> there at least another month. Then we butcher and I get half of one of
> them for helping pay for the feed and helping with the butchering.
> ACtually I do most of it for him anyway, I've been cutting up critters
> most of my life so it's fairly easy for me. He's got all the nice
> stainless meat saws, grinders and such, makes it easy.

how cool. i envy you your skills and knowledge, george.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> bob wrote:
>>George Shirley claims:

>>> Then you'd love the guy on a neighbouring farm who keeps on offering
>>> to bring over "half a beast" for our freezer. It should last you a
>>> couple of meals at least ;-)b

>> Friend of mine has two calves in the fattening pen at the moment. Be in
>> there at least another month. Then we butcher and I get half of one of
>> them for helping pay for the feed and helping with the butchering.
>> ACtually I do most of it for him anyway, I've been cutting up critters
>> most of my life so it's fairly easy for me. He's got all the nice
>> stainless meat saws, grinders and such, makes it easy.

My, my, my... with all that fancy schmancy expensive paraphenalia yoose must
have a camera so we can see.