Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Food Allergy Warnings

This is just going too far:

Ingredients: Milk

Allergy Warning: Contains MILK

And on my jug of CostCo Cashews:

"Ingredients: Cashews, Peanut Oil, Salt"

On another part of the label:
"Warning: Contents processed on equipment that also processes nuts"

And on yet another part of the label:
"Consumers should read all allergy warnings carefully"

Why not just read the damn ingredients and be done with it? If they can't
read the ingredients, then they can't read any of the warnings warning you
to read the warnings about the ingredients.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> This is just going too far:
>
> Ingredients: Milk
>
> Allergy Warning: Contains MILK
>
> And on my jug of CostCo Cashews:
>
> "Ingredients: Cashews, Peanut Oil, Salt"
>
> On another part of the label:
> "Warning: Contents processed on equipment that also processes nuts"
>
> And on yet another part of the label:
> "Consumers should read all allergy warnings carefully"
>
> Why not just read the damn ingredients and be done with it? If they
> can't read the ingredients, then they can't read any of the warnings
> warning you to read the warnings about the ingredients.

"The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"

Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> This is just going too far:
>
> Ingredients: Milk
>
> Allergy Warning: Contains MILK
>
> And on my jug of CostCo Cashews:
>
> "Ingredients: Cashews, Peanut Oil, Salt"
>
> On another part of the label:
> "Warning: Contents processed on equipment that also processes nuts"
>
> And on yet another part of the label:
> "Consumers should read all allergy warnings carefully"
>
> Why not just read the damn ingredients and be done with it? If they can't
> read the ingredients, then they can't read any of the warnings warning you
> to read the warnings about the ingredients.
>
> -sw

Same reason I guess is that when they advertise plastic wrap it's described
as "see-through" instead of "transparent". They assume we're not smart
enough to figure out a big long word like "transparent"!

Chris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Marksberry wrote:

> Same reason I guess is that when they advertise plastic wrap it's
> described
> as "see-through" instead of "transparent". They assume we're not
> smart enough to figure out a big long word like "transparent"!

Clearly.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chris Marksberry" > wrote in message

>> This is just going too far:
>>
>> Ingredients: Milk
>>
>> Allergy Warning: Contains MILK
>>
>> And on my jug of CostCo Cashews:
>>
>> "Ingredients: Cashews, Peanut Oil, Salt"
>>
>> On another part of the label:
>> "Warning: Contents processed on equipment that also processes nuts"
>>
>> And on yet another part of the label:
>> "Consumers should read all allergy warnings carefully"
>>
>> Why not just read the damn ingredients and be done with it? If they
>> can't read the ingredients, then they can't read any of the warnings
>> warning you to read the warnings about the ingredients.
>>
>> -sw

> Same reason I guess is that when they advertise plastic wrap it's
> described as "see-through" instead of "transparent". They assume we're
> not smart enough to figure out a big long word like "transparent"!
>
> Chris

We are warned not to "iron while wearing". As if anyone would actually put
a hot iron against their body to press a shirt. Oh, and with hair dryers,
"do not use in the shower". It's the frivilous lawsuits that caused these
these silly warnings. Plastic bags from the dry cleaner "are not toys".
When did anyone think they were?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> This is just going too far:
>
> Ingredients: Milk
>
> Allergy Warning: Contains MILK
>
> And on my jug of CostCo Cashews:
>
> "Ingredients: Cashews, Peanut Oil, Salt"
>
> On another part of the label:
> "Warning: Contents processed on equipment that also processes nuts"
>
> And on yet another part of the label:
> "Consumers should read all allergy warnings carefully"
>
> Why not just read the damn ingredients and be done with it? If they can't
> read the ingredients, then they can't read any of the warnings warning you
> to read the warnings about the ingredients.
>
> -sw

A local supermarket carries prepacked broccoli (packed in the US) that is
clearly labelled, in big letters *"Broccoli"* In the fine print underneath
it says: "May contain broccoli".
I kid you not!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> This is just going too far:
>
> Ingredients: Milk
>
> Allergy Warning: Contains MILK
>
> And on my jug of CostCo Cashews:
>
> "Ingredients: Cashews, Peanut Oil, Salt"
>
> On another part of the label:
> "Warning: Contents processed on equipment that also processes nuts"
>
> And on yet another part of the label:
> "Consumers should read all allergy warnings carefully"
>
> Why not just read the damn ingredients and be done with it? If they
> can't read the ingredients, then they can't read any of the warnings
> warning you to read the warnings about the ingredients.
>
> -sw

CYA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 13:47:00 -0600, boulanger wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> This is just going too far:
>>
>> Ingredients: Milk
>>
>> Allergy Warning: Contains MILK
>>
>> And on my jug of CostCo Cashews:
>>
>> "Ingredients: Cashews, Peanut Oil, Salt"
>>
>> On another part of the label:
>> "Warning: Contents processed on equipment that also processes nuts"
>>
>> And on yet another part of the label: "Consumers should read all
>> allergy warnings carefully"
>>
>> Why not just read the damn ingredients and be done with it? If they
>> can't read the ingredients, then they can't read any of the warnings
>> warning you to read the warnings about the ingredients.
>>
>> -sw

> A local supermarket carries prepacked broccoli (packed in the US) that
> is clearly labelled, in big letters *"Broccoli"* In the fine print
> underneath it says: "May contain broccoli".
> I kid you not!

On a sack of salted peanuts:
'processed in a plant that processes peanuts'..

--
Groet, salut, Wim.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

boulanger wrote:

> A local supermarket carries prepacked broccoli (packed in the US) that is
> clearly labelled, in big letters *"Broccoli"* In the fine print underneath
> it says: "May contain broccoli".
> I kid you not!

This and some of the other examples may represent
the sense of humor of the graphic designer who designed
the package. Those designers a crazy bunch. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

RegForte wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> This is just going too far:
>>
>> Ingredients: Milk
>>
>> Allergy Warning: Contains MILK
>>
>> And on my jug of CostCo Cashews:
>>
>> "Ingredients: Cashews, Peanut Oil, Salt"
>>
>> On another part of the label:
>> "Warning: Contents processed on equipment that also processes nuts"
>>
>> And on yet another part of the label:
>> "Consumers should read all allergy warnings carefully"
>>
>> Why not just read the damn ingredients and be done with it? If they
>> can't read the ingredients, then they can't read any of the warnings
>> warning you to read the warnings about the ingredients.

> "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"
>
> Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2

Amen!

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south-Texas

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"boulanger" > wrote in message

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> This is just going too far:
>>
>> Ingredients: Milk
>>
>> Allergy Warning: Contains MILK
>>
>> And on my jug of CostCo Cashews:
>>
>> "Ingredients: Cashews, Peanut Oil, Salt"
>>
>> On another part of the label:
>> "Warning: Contents processed on equipment that also processes nuts"
>>
>> And on yet another part of the label:
>> "Consumers should read all allergy warnings carefully"
>>
>> Why not just read the damn ingredients and be done with it? If they
>> can't read the ingredients, then they can't read any of the warnings
>> warning you to read the warnings about the ingredients.
>>
>> -sw

> A local supermarket carries prepacked broccoli (packed in the US) that is
> clearly labelled, in big letters *"Broccoli"* In the fine print
> underneath it says: "May contain broccoli".
> I kid you not!

Check out the latest.

http://engrish.com/

Dimitri

Then again it's better than my Japanese.....

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> This is just going too far:
>
> Ingredients: Milk
>
> Allergy Warning: Contains MILK
>
> And on my jug of CostCo Cashews:
>
> "Ingredients: Cashews, Peanut Oil, Salt"
>
> On another part of the label:
> "Warning: Contents processed on equipment that also processes nuts"
>
> And on yet another part of the label:
> "Consumers should read all allergy warnings carefully"
>
> Why not just read the damn ingredients and be done with it? If they can't
> read the ingredients, then they can't read any of the warnings warning you
> to read the warnings about the ingredients.
>
> -sw

Or as seen on a jar of *honey* mustard (mustard, vinegar, honey and
salt): 'No sugars. No sweeteners.'
Oh really?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"RegForte" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> This is just going too far:
>>
>> Ingredients: Milk
>>
>> Allergy Warning: Contains MILK
>>
>> And on my jug of CostCo Cashews:
>>
>> "Ingredients: Cashews, Peanut Oil, Salt"
>>
>> On another part of the label:
>> "Warning: Contents processed on equipment that also processes nuts"
>>
>> And on yet another part of the label:
>> "Consumers should read all allergy warnings carefully"
>>
>> Why not just read the damn ingredients and be done with it? If they
>> can't read the ingredients, then they can't read any of the warnings
>> warning you to read the warnings about the ingredients.

> "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"
>
> Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2

LOL Better actually to make frivilous lawsuits incredibly difficult to file

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"RegForte" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> This is just going too far:
>>
>> Ingredients: Milk
>>
>> Allergy Warning: Contains MILK
>>
>> And on my jug of CostCo Cashews:
>>
>> "Ingredients: Cashews, Peanut Oil, Salt"
>>
>> On another part of the label:
>> "Warning: Contents processed on equipment that also processes nuts"
>>
>> And on yet another part of the label:
>> "Consumers should read all allergy warnings carefully"
>>
>> Why not just read the damn ingredients and be done with it? If they
>> can't read the ingredients, then they can't read any of the warnings
>> warning you to read the warnings about the ingredients.

> "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"
>
> Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2

Followed by (if not preceded by) the preachers!
Fred

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Plastic bags from the dry cleaner
> "are not toys". When did anyone think they were?

Well, my dad did, once.

He was trying to make a home-made hot air balloon but every bag he tried
was too heavy for the very minimal lift provided by a household candle.
So it occurred to him that the extremely lightweight plastic of a
drycleaner's bag might be just the ticket.

And it actually worked pretty well, at first. The American Cleaners
blimp got airborn, made it about 50 feet up looking like some sort of
aerial man o'war, then descended gently onto the neighbors roof, where
the candle tipped over but continued to burn.

Dad had to scramble to grab a ladder from the garage so he could climb
up there and put it out, then he had to explain to Ray Sarzinski what he
was doing on his roof. Fortunately, Ray was familiar with my dad's
experiments and a frequent accomplice, especially for the ones that went
"bang" - the miniature cannon springs to mind (important safety note -
when firing a cannon, miniature or otherwise, either secure it to
something extremely heavy and immobile, or get the hell out from behind
the thing as the recoil is wicked).

So Ray was cool about it, but disappointed that the flight could not be
repeated for his edification as the candle had melted a hole in the bag.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> This is just going too far:
>
> Ingredients: Milk
>
> Allergy Warning: Contains MILK
>
> And on my jug of CostCo Cashews:
>
> "Ingredients: Cashews, Peanut Oil, Salt"
>
> On another part of the label:
> "Warning: Contents processed on equipment that also processes nuts"
>
> And on yet another part of the label:
> "Consumers should read all allergy warnings carefully"
>
> Why not just read the damn ingredients and be done with it? If they
> can't read the ingredients, then they can't read any of the warnings
> warning you to read the warnings about the ingredients.
>
> -sw

My daughter has a seafood allergy. A couple weeks back her horse
slipped in the mud and fell. His momentum rolled him most of the way
onto his back and my daughter got squashed. She was riding bareback and
Reno is a Fat ******* (1,435 pounds according to the scale at the
truckstop) and her down side leg was forward, in the groove between his
shoulder and his big, fat hay belly, which protected it from the worst
of the crushing when he went down.

But she was pinned under him, and in order to gain momentum to roll off
of her he actually rolled farther onto her first.

We were worried about the possibility of broken ribs, lacerated liver,
ruptured spleen, so we took her to the ER. They did x-rays - no new
fractures, but evidence of plenty of old ones, all in various stages of
healing. And they wanted an MRI with contrast dye to make sure the
squishy parts were okay.

Because of her seafood allergy this meant that the normal contrast could
not be used, so this meant additional delay while the alternative
formulation was located.

As it turns out, she was fine, just badly bruised. But I was alarmed to
hear that one of the techs tried to tell my daughter that the seafood
allergy/contrast dye link was an old wives tale and that they could get
this over with a lot faster if they just used the standard juice. This
is NOT NOT NOT what her allergist tells us. I'm glad my daughter held
her ground and asked the guy if she was maybe cutting into his lunch hour?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:17:28 -0700, RegForte wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> This is just going too far:
>>
>> Ingredients: Milk
>>
>> Allergy Warning: Contains MILK
>>
>> And on my jug of CostCo Cashews:
>>
>> "Ingredients: Cashews, Peanut Oil, Salt"
>>
>> On another part of the label:
>> "Warning: Contents processed on equipment that also processes nuts"
>>
>> And on yet another part of the label:
>> "Consumers should read all allergy warnings carefully"
>>
>> Why not just read the damn ingredients and be done with it? If they
>> can't read the ingredients, then they can't read any of the warnings
>> warning you to read the warnings about the ingredients.

> "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"
>
> Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2

people love to quote that line, but i doubt one in a hundred knows the
context:

M. Johnson in his letter to the editor published on July 31, might like to
read Shakespeare before quoting him. The phrase: "The first thing we do,
let's kill all the lawyers", comes from Henry the Sixth, Part 2, Act IV,
Scene 2 when Cade, a rather deranged populist, talks about his plans when
he becomes king, and is joined by Dick who speaks the line. In context, the
quotation is a positive one on the role of lawyers-who are the first line
of defense against a failure of law and justice.

<http://www.ilw.com/immigdaily/News/2002,0801-goldstein.shtm>

so, be careful what you wish for.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 20:35:49 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:

> Chris Marksberry wrote:
>>
>> Same reason I guess is that when they advertise plastic wrap it's
>> described
>> as "see-through" instead of "transparent". They assume we're not
>> smart enough to figure out a big long word like "transparent"!
>>

> Clearly.

you sly dog.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 15:21:18 -0400, jmcquown wrote:

> "Chris Marksberry" > wrote in message
>>
>>> This is just going too far:
>>>
>>> Ingredients: Milk
>>>
>>> Allergy Warning: Contains MILK
>>>
>>> And on my jug of CostCo Cashews:
>>>
>>> "Ingredients: Cashews, Peanut Oil, Salt"
>>>
>>> On another part of the label:
>>> "Warning: Contents processed on equipment that also processes nuts"
>>>
>>> And on yet another part of the label:
>>> "Consumers should read all allergy warnings carefully"
>>>
>>> Why not just read the damn ingredients and be done with it? If they
>>> can't read the ingredients, then they can't read any of the warnings
>>> warning you to read the warnings about the ingredients.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Same reason I guess is that when they advertise plastic wrap it's
>> described as "see-through" instead of "transparent". They assume we're
>> not smart enough to figure out a big long word like "transparent"!
>>
>> Chris
>>

> We are warned not to "iron while wearing". As if anyone would actually put
> a hot iron against their body to press a shirt. Oh, and with hair dryers,
> "do not use in the shower". It's the frivilous lawsuits that caused these
> these silly warnings. Plastic bags from the dry cleaner "are not toys".
> When did anyone think they were?
>
> Jill

it's *exactly* because people are stupid enough to do these things that
such warnings are included. do you think marketers just sit around
thinking up ridiculous shit to print on labels for the fun of it? someone
somewhere did them and successfully sued the company over the bad result.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:17:28 -0700, RegForte wrote:
>
>> Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> This is just going too far:
>>>
>>> Ingredients: Milk
>>>
>>> Allergy Warning: Contains MILK
>>>
>>> And on my jug of CostCo Cashews:
>>>
>>> "Ingredients: Cashews, Peanut Oil, Salt"
>>>
>>> On another part of the label:
>>> "Warning: Contents processed on equipment that also processes nuts"
>>>
>>> And on yet another part of the label:
>>> "Consumers should read all allergy warnings carefully"
>>>
>>> Why not just read the damn ingredients and be done with it? If they
>>> can't read the ingredients, then they can't read any of the warnings
>>> warning you to read the warnings about the ingredients.

>> "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"
>>
>> Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2

> people love to quote that line, but i doubt one in a hundred knows the
> context:
>
> M. Johnson in his letter to the editor published on July 31, might like to
> read Shakespeare before quoting him. The phrase: "The first thing we do,
> let's kill all the lawyers", comes from Henry the Sixth, Part 2, Act IV,
> Scene 2 when Cade, a rather deranged populist, talks about his plans when
> he becomes king, and is joined by Dick who speaks the line. In context,
> the
> quotation is a positive one on the role of lawyers-who are the first line
> of defense against a failure of law and justice.
>
> <http://www.ilw.com/immigdaily/News/2002,0801-goldstein.shtm>
>
> so, be careful what you wish for.

So, it's no different from bible-thumpers quoting out of context.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kathleen > wrote:

> As it turns out, she was fine, just badly bruised. But I was alarmed to
> hear that one of the techs tried to tell my daughter that the seafood
> allergy/contrast dye link was an old wives tale and that they could get
> this over with a lot faster if they just used the standard juice.

The tech is right. Elemental iodine is not the allergen in seafood.

http://www.wdxcyber.com/ngen22.htm

I'm allergic to shellfish and my insurance wouldn't pay for the
alternate contrast agent. So the last time I needed the contrast
x-ray, I just didn't tell them about the shellfish. Everything went
fine.

You'd think that the medical profession would be up to date on this
stuff. I'm surprised they don't still use leeches.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Kathleen > wrote:
>
>> As it turns out, she was fine, just badly bruised. But I was alarmed to
>> hear that one of the techs tried to tell my daughter that the seafood
>> allergy/contrast dye link was an old wives tale and that they could get
>> this over with a lot faster if they just used the standard juice.

> The tech is right. Elemental iodine is not the allergen in seafood.
>
> http://www.wdxcyber.com/ngen22.htm
>
> I'm allergic to shellfish and my insurance wouldn't pay for the
> alternate contrast agent. So the last time I needed the contrast
> x-ray, I just didn't tell them about the shellfish. Everything went
> fine.
>
> You'd think that the medical profession would be up to date on this
> stuff. I'm surprised they don't still use leeches.
>
> -sw

But they do still use leeches!

http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2004/504_leech.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chris Marksberry wrote:

>>Kathleen > wrote:
>>

>>>As it turns out, she was fine, just badly bruised. But I was alarmed to
>>>hear that one of the techs tried to tell my daughter that the seafood
>>>allergy/contrast dye link was an old wives tale and that they could get
>>>this over with a lot faster if they just used the standard juice.

>>The tech is right. Elemental iodine is not the allergen in seafood.
>>
>>http://www.wdxcyber.com/ngen22.htm
>>
>>I'm allergic to shellfish and my insurance wouldn't pay for the
>>alternate contrast agent. So the last time I needed the contrast
>>x-ray, I just didn't tell them about the shellfish. Everything went
>>fine.
>>
>>You'd think that the medical profession would be up to date on this
>>stuff. I'm surprised they don't still use leeches.
>>
>>-sw

> But they do still use leeches!
>
> http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2004/504_leech.html

And I wouldn't balk at the use of leeches.

However, I do have an issue with the injection of chemicals that a
respected family physician has told us to strictly avoid given the
child's history, especially given that the sole proponent of ignoring
the protocol appeared to be annoyed by the additional time required for
the alternate protocol.

Got a point to make with me? Try to avoid making it plain that you're
cutting into your smoke break/lunch hour - dear daughter mentioned that
you reeked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> Kathleen > wrote:
>
> > As it turns out, she was fine, just badly bruised. But I was alarmed to
> > hear that one of the techs tried to tell my daughter that the seafood
> > allergy/contrast dye link was an old wives tale and that they could get
> > this over with a lot faster if they just used the standard juice.

> The tech is right. Elemental iodine is not the allergen in seafood.
>
> http://www.wdxcyber.com/ngen22.htm
>
> I'm allergic to shellfish and my insurance wouldn't pay for the
> alternate contrast agent. So the last time I needed the contrast
> x-ray, I just didn't tell them about the shellfish. Everything went
> fine.
>
> You'd think that the medical profession would be up to date on this
> stuff. I'm surprised they don't still use leeches.
>
> -sw

The usual contrast agents for MRI contain gadolinium. However some CT
contrast agents can contain iodine.
Haven't yet had a bad reaction to the MRI agent but did have one to the
CT agent by the third go-round.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
> > This is just going too far:
> >
> > Ingredients: Milk
> >
> > Allergy Warning: Contains MILK
> >
> > And on my jug of CostCo Cashews:
> >
> > "Ingredients: Cashews, Peanut Oil, Salt"
> >
> > On another part of the label:
> > "Warning: Contents processed on equipment that also processes nuts"
> >
> > And on yet another part of the label:
> > "Consumers should read all allergy warnings carefully"
> >
> > Why not just read the damn ingredients and be done with it? If they
> > can't read the ingredients, then they can't read any of the warnings
> > warning you to read the warnings about the ingredients.
> >
> > -sw

> My daughter has a seafood allergy. A couple weeks back her horse
> slipped in the mud and fell. His momentum rolled him most of the way
> onto his back and my daughter got squashed. She was riding bareback and
> Reno is a Fat ******* (1,435 pounds according to the scale at the
> truckstop) and her down side leg was forward, in the groove between his
> shoulder and his big, fat hay belly, which protected it from the worst
> of the crushing when he went down.
>
> But she was pinned under him, and in order to gain momentum to roll off
> of her he actually rolled farther onto her first.
>
> We were worried about the possibility of broken ribs, lacerated liver,
> ruptured spleen, so we took her to the ER. They did x-rays - no new
> fractures, but evidence of plenty of old ones, all in various stages of
> healing. And they wanted an MRI with contrast dye to make sure the
> squishy parts were okay.
>
> Because of her seafood allergy this meant that the normal contrast could
> not be used, so this meant additional delay while the alternative
> formulation was located.
>
> As it turns out, she was fine, just badly bruised. But I was alarmed to
> hear that one of the techs tried to tell my daughter that the seafood
> allergy/contrast dye link was an old wives tale and that they could get
> this over with a lot faster if they just used the standard juice. This
> is NOT NOT NOT what her allergist tells us. I'm glad my daughter held
> her ground and asked the guy if she was maybe cutting into his lunch hour?

Normal contrast agent I know of is gadolinium. It's a metal contrast
agent.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> Sqwertz wrote:
> >
> > Kathleen > wrote:
> >
> > > As it turns out, she was fine, just badly bruised. But I was alarmed to
> > > hear that one of the techs tried to tell my daughter that the seafood
> > > allergy/contrast dye link was an old wives tale and that they could get
> > > this over with a lot faster if they just used the standard juice.

> > The tech is right. Elemental iodine is not the allergen in seafood.

http://www.wdxcyber.com/ngen22.htm

> > I'm allergic to shellfish and my insurance wouldn't pay for the
> > alternate contrast agent. So the last time I needed the contrast
> > x-ray, I just didn't tell them about the shellfish. Everything went
> > fine.
> >
> > You'd think that the medical profession would be up to date on this
> > stuff. I'm surprised they don't still use leeches.
> >
> > -sw

> The usual contrast agents for MRI contain gadolinium. However some CT
> contrast agents can contain iodine.
> Haven't yet had a bad reaction to the MRI agent but did have one to the
> CT agent by the third go-round.

Yes indeed. CT contrast is what ultimately lead to the death of my
maternal grandmother. The reaction triggered congestive heart failure
and boom, dead on the spot.

I've had a head MRI and they used the gagolinium contrast agent and I
suffered no ill effect from it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> You'd think that the medical profession would be up to date on this
> stuff. I'm surprised they don't still use leeches.

I'm surprised you haven't heard. Leeches are back:

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...-maggots_x.htm

FDA approved. About US$7.50 each.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> You'd think that the medical profession would be up to date on this
>> stuff. I'm surprised they don't still use leeches.

> I'm surprised you haven't heard. Leeches are back:
>
> http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...-maggots_x.htm
>
> FDA approved. About US$7.50 each.

OK. Let me change that to 'bloodletting' insetad of leeches.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"T" > wrote in message
. org...
> In article >,
> says...

>> > "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"
>> >
>> > Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2

>> Followed by (if not preceded by) the preachers!
>> Fred

> I'll second that one. I had a nice go around with one on YouTube once.
>
> Let me preface this by saying I have 12 years of Catholic schools behind
> me so I know their dogma pretty well.
>
> I got accused by a Southern Baptist Preacher of being, get this one, a
> neo-evangelist.
>
> BTW, I'm an atheist now, have been since about the age of 8.

Remember, we are all born atheist. Most religious belief comes through
childhood indoctrination/brainwashing.
I started to have doubts a little later than that but rejected the whole
shebang in early adolescense.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"RegForte" > wrote in message
> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> This is just going too far:
>>
>> Ingredients: Milk
>>
>> Allergy Warning: Contains MILK
>>
>> And on my jug of CostCo Cashews:
>>
>> "Ingredients: Cashews, Peanut Oil, Salt"
>>
>> On another part of the label:
>> "Warning: Contents processed on equipment that also processes nuts"
>>
>> And on yet another part of the label:
>> "Consumers should read all allergy warnings carefully"
>>
>> Why not just read the damn ingredients and be done with it? If they
>> can't read the ingredients, then they can't read any of the warnings
>> warning you to read the warnings about the ingredients.

> "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"
>
> Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2

"We did kill all the lawyers". George Carlin in Bill and Ted's Excellent
Adventure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> "T" > wrote in message
> . org...
> > In article >,

> > says...

> >> Followed by (if not preceded by) the preachers!
> >> Fred

> > I'll second that one. I had a nice go around with one on YouTube once.
> >
> > Let me preface this by saying I have 12 years of Catholic schools behind
> > me so I know their dogma pretty well.
> >
> > I got accused by a Southern Baptist Preacher of being, get this one, a
> > neo-evangelist.
> >
> > BTW, I'm an atheist now, have been since about the age of 8.
> >

> Remember, we are all born atheist. Most religious belief comes through
> childhood indoctrination/brainwashing.
> I started to have doubts a little later than that but rejected the whole
> shebang in early adolescense.

I had the realization at 8, the ultimate rejecton by 14.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Dan Abel > wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Sqwertz > wrote:
> >
> >> You'd think that the medical profession would be up to date on this
> >> stuff. I'm surprised they don't still use leeches.

> > I'm surprised you haven't heard. Leeches are back:
> >
> > http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...-maggots_x.htm
> >
> > FDA approved. About US$7.50 each.

> OK. Let me change that to 'bloodletting' insetad of leeches.

Oops! They still do that one also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodletting

I had a neighbor around the corner do this for years. She finally died
of whatever she had.

That, of course, is different from routine phlebotomy, which I had done
Thursday. The guy took a few cc's of blood, which was then tested. I
passed all the tests!

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 11:46:41 -0600, boulanger wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>> On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 11:17:28 -0700, RegForte wrote:
>>

>>> "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers"
>>>
>>> Henry The Sixth, Part 2 Act 4, scene 2

>> people love to quote that line, but i doubt one in a hundred knows the
>> context:
>>
>> M. Johnson in his letter to the editor published on July 31, might like to
>> read Shakespeare before quoting him. The phrase: "The first thing we do,
>> let's kill all the lawyers", comes from Henry the Sixth, Part 2, Act IV,
>> Scene 2 when Cade, a rather deranged populist, talks about his plans when
>> he becomes king, and is joined by Dick who speaks the line. In context,
>> the
>> quotation is a positive one on the role of lawyers-who are the first line
>> of defense against a failure of law and justice.
>>
>> <http://www.ilw.com/immigdaily/News/2002,0801-goldstein.shtm>
>>
>> so, be careful what you wish for.
>>

> So, it's no different from bible-thumpers quoting out of context.

distorting the bible to serve your purpose is far more prevalent, but yes.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel > wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> Dan Abel > wrote:

>>> I'm surprised you haven't heard. Leeches are back:
>>>
>>> http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...-maggots_x.htm
>>>
>>> FDA approved. About US$7.50 each.

>> OK. Let me change that to 'bloodletting' insetad of leeches.

> Oops! They still do that one also:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloodletting

They don't do it for the same reasons they did a century ago.
Bloodletting (the general term which includes the use of leeches)
was a tremendously over-abused practice, often leading to death.
It's an example of how medicine has come out of the dark ages, which
was my original point.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 20:35:49 +0200, ChattyCathy wrote:
>
>> Chris Marksberry wrote:
>>>
>>> Same reason I guess is that when they advertise plastic wrap it's
>>> described
>>> as "see-through" instead of "transparent". They assume we're not
>>> smart enough to figure out a big long word like "transparent"!
>>>

>> Clearly.

> you sly dog.

Close enough.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 14 Mar 2009 11:46:41 -0600, boulanger wrote:

>>> people love to quote that line, but i doubt one in a hundred knows the
>>> context:
>>>
>>> M. Johnson in his letter to the editor published on July 31, might like
>>> read Shakespeare before quoting him. The phrase: "The first thing we do,
>>> let's kill all the lawyers", comes from Henry the Sixth, Part 2, Act IV,
>>> Scene 2 when Cade, a rather deranged populist, talks about his plans
>>> when
>>> he becomes king, and is joined by Dick who speaks the line. In context,
>>> the
>>> quotation is a positive one on the role of lawyers-who are the first
>>> line
>>> of defense against a failure of law and justice.
>>>
>>> <http://www.ilw.com/immigdaily/News/2002,0801-goldstein.shtm>
>>>
>>> so, be careful what you wish for.
>>>

>> So, it's no different from bible-thumpers quoting out of context.

> distorting the bible to serve your purpose is far more prevalent, but yes.

My favorite out of context Bard quote is:
"The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose"

Shakespea M.of V., I/3, 95.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Dan Abel > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Sqwertz > wrote:
>>
>>> You'd think that the medical profession would be up to date on this
>>> stuff. I'm surprised they don't still use leeches.

>> I'm surprised you haven't heard. Leeches are back:
>>
>> http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...-maggots_x.htm
>>
>> FDA approved. About US$7.50 each.

> OK. Let me change that to 'bloodletting' insetad of leeches.
>
> -sw

Here's another that I suppose could be called 'bloodletting'. We have a
friend whose brother has it, but he didn't have it in spite of the heredity
link.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hem...atosis/DS00455

Christy/Kili had it, but I suppose it wasn't diagnosed until the damage had
been done.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri London wrote:

> The usual contrast agents for MRI contain gadolinium. However some CT
> contrast agents can contain iodine.
> Haven't yet had a bad reaction to the MRI agent but did have one to the
> CT agent by the third go-round.

Sometimes the value of the test has to be weighed against the risk of
contrast. We can load 'em up with IV Benadryl and other things to lessen
the allergic response.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>

>> You'd think that the medical profession would be up to date on this
>> stuff. I'm surprised they don't still use leeches.

> I'm surprised you haven't heard. Leeches are back:
>
> http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...-maggots_x.htm
>
> FDA approved. About US$7.50 each.

They've been "back" for ages. I enjoy using them on patients for the
"fun" the little beasties provide the staff...I feel a bit badly for
them as they're gonna get sacrificed after that last feast, but, not too
badly. LOL