Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC - Carrot and Ginger Soup (for Serene)

* Exported from MasterCook *

Carrot and Ginger Soup

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Soup

1 onion -- chopped
1 tablespoon margarine
1 1/2 pounds carrots -- sliced
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
black pepper
4 1/2 cups light vegetable stock or water
1 pound apples -- peeled and chopped
3 tablespoons sherry

Saute onion in margarine, covered, for 5 minutes, without browning.
Add the carrots and ginger. Cover and cook a further 10 minutes. Stir
occasionally.

Add the stock or water and bring to a boil, then simmer gently for 15
min, until the carrots are tender. Puree the soup in a food processor,
then sieve (not really necessary).

Return soup to the rinsed-out pan, reheat gently and season to taste
with pepper. You may use parsnips instead of carrots and add 1
tablespoon curry powder to the onions when you saute them. A swirl of
yogurt on top is good and add some crisp croutons.

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Carrot and Ginger Soup

<snipped>

Dams', that was sweet of you to post those recipes. :-)
You are always so generous... <hugs>
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 11:03:04 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
>
>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Carrot and Ginger Soup

><snipped>
>
>Dams', that was sweet of you to post those recipes. :-)
>You are always so generous... <hugs>

Hey, Serene is a darlin'. There will be more when my fingers thaw out
a bit. MasterCook is your friend.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 11:03:04 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >In article >,
> > Damsel in dis Dress > wrote:
> >
> >> * Exported from MasterCook *
> >>
> >> Carrot and Ginger Soup

> ><snipped>
> >
> >Dams', that was sweet of you to post those recipes. :-)
> >You are always so generous... <hugs>

> Hey, Serene is a darlin'. There will be more when my fingers thaw out
> a bit. MasterCook is your friend.
>
> Carol

I'll have to czech that out. Cheers!
--
Peace! Om

I find hope in the darkest of days, and focus in the brightest. I do not judge the universe. -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am I going blind?
You have apples and sherry in the ingredients but I don't see them in
the instructions.
Where do they come in?

....Alan

On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 10:22:19 -0600, in rec.food.cooking, Damsel in dis
Dress > wrote:

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Carrot and Ginger Soup
>
>Recipe By :
>Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
>Categories : Soup

>-------- ------------ --------------------------------
> 1 onion -- chopped
> 1 tablespoon margarine
> 1 1/2 pounds carrots -- sliced
> 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
> black pepper
> 4 1/2 cups light vegetable stock or water
> 1 pound apples -- peeled and chopped
> 3 tablespoons sherry
>
>Saute onion in margarine, covered, for 5 minutes, without browning.
>Add the carrots and ginger. Cover and cook a further 10 minutes. Stir
>occasionally.
>
>Add the stock or water and bring to a boil, then simmer gently for 15
>min, until the carrots are tender. Puree the soup in a food processor,
>then sieve (not really necessary).
>
>Return soup to the rinsed-out pan, reheat gently and season to taste
>with pepper. You may use parsnips instead of carrots and add 1
>tablespoon curry powder to the onions when you saute them. A swirl of
>yogurt on top is good and add some crisp croutons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 17, 2:31*am, Alan Edwards > wrote:
> Am I going blind?
> You have apples and sherry in the ingredients but I don't see them in
> the instructions.
> Where do they come in?
>
> ...Alan
>
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 10:22:19 -0600, in rec.food.cooking, Damsel in dis
>
> Dress > wrote:
> > * * * * * * * * * * ** Exported from MasterCook *

> > * * * * * * * * * * * * *Carrot and Ginger Soup

> >Recipe By * * :
> >Serving Size *: 4 * * Preparation Time :0:00
> >Categories * *: Soup

> > *Amount *Measure * * * Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> >-------- *------------ *--------------------------------
> > *1 * * * * * * * * * * onion -- chopped
> > *1 * * * * tablespoon *margarine
> > *1 1/2 * * * * pounds *carrots -- sliced
> > *1 * * * * * teaspoon *fresh grated ginger
> > * * * * * * * * * * * *black pepper
> > *4 1/2 * * * * * cups *light vegetable stock or water
> > *1 * * * * * * *pound *apples -- peeled and chopped
> > *3 * * * *tablespoons *sherry

> >Saute onion in margarine, covered, for 5 minutes, without browning.
> >Add the carrots and ginger. Cover and cook a further 10 minutes. Stir
> >occasionally.

> >Add the stock or water and bring to a boil, then simmer gently for 15
> >min, until the carrots are tender. Puree the soup in a food processor,
> >then sieve (not really necessary).

> >Return soup to the rinsed-out pan, reheat gently and season to taste
> >with pepper. You may use parsnips instead of carrots and add 1
> >tablespoon curry powder to the onions when you saute them. A swirl of
> >yogurt on top is good and add some crisp croutons.

ARGH! I grabbed this one, based on ingredients, out of one of the
MasterCook cookbooks that comes with the software. I don't have
access to my computer right now (fuse blew last night, and we lost our
refrigerator and my computer - landlord is not answering his phone),
so I can't look at the recipe. I would just assume that those are
extra ingredients, and move on with my life. Sorry for the
befuddlement.

Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Carrot and Ginger Soup

Thank you, sweetie! I'm contrary, and will leave the ginger out. :-)

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Carrot and Ginger Soup
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Soup

> 1 onion -- chopped
> 1 tablespoon margarine

Oh, also, I should mention for anyone else doing the low-iodine thing --
no margarine unless it's unsalted and has no dairy ingredients in it.
The only one I know of that fits this description is Fleischmann's light
unsalted, but I'd probably use olive oil in this case.

Serene

--
42 Magazine, celebrating life with meaning. Inaugural issue March '09!
http://42magazine.com

"I am an agnostic only to the extent that I am agnostic about fairies at
the bottom of the garden." -- Richard Dawkins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
On Feb 17, 2:31 am, Alan Edwards > wrote:
> Am I going blind?
> You have apples and sherry in the ingredients but I don't see them in
> the instructions.
> Where do they come in?
>
> ...Alan
>
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 10:22:19 -0600, in rec.food.cooking, Damsel in dis
>
> Dress > wrote:
> > * Exported from MasterCook *

> > Carrot and Ginger Soup

> >Recipe By :
> >Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
> >Categories : Soup

> > Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
> >-------- ------------ --------------------------------
> > 1 onion -- chopped
> > 1 tablespoon margarine
> > 1 1/2 pounds carrots -- sliced
> > 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
> > black pepper
> > 4 1/2 cups light vegetable stock or water
> > 1 pound apples -- peeled and chopped
> > 3 tablespoons sherry

> >Saute onion in margarine, covered, for 5 minutes, without browning.
> >Add the carrots and ginger. Cover and cook a further 10 minutes. Stir
> >occasionally.

> >Add the stock or water and bring to a boil, then simmer gently for 15
> >min, until the carrots are tender. Puree the soup in a food processor,
> >then sieve (not really necessary).

> >Return soup to the rinsed-out pan, reheat gently and season to taste
> >with pepper. You may use parsnips instead of carrots and add 1
> >tablespoon curry powder to the onions when you saute them. A swirl of
> >yogurt on top is good and add some crisp croutons.

ARGH! I grabbed this one, based on ingredients, out of one of the
MasterCook cookbooks that comes with the software. I don't have
access to my computer right now (fuse blew last night, and we lost our
refrigerator and my computer - landlord is not answering his phone),
so I can't look at the recipe. I would just assume that those are
extra ingredients, and move on with my life. Sorry for the
befuddlement.

Carol

Carol....can't you replace the fuses yourselves? or does he lock the
panel up??? It would save you a lot of agro.....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:20:27 -0500, "biig" > wrote:

>ARGH! I grabbed this one, based on ingredients, out of one of the
>MasterCook cookbooks that comes with the software. I don't have
>access to my computer right now (fuse blew last night, and we lost our
>refrigerator and my computer - landlord is not answering his phone),
>so I can't look at the recipe. I would just assume that those are
>extra ingredients, and move on with my life. Sorry for the
>befuddlement.
>
>Carol
>
> Carol....can't you replace the fuses yourselves? or does he lock the
>panel up??? It would save you a lot of agro.....Sharon

We could, if we had any on hand. He's gonna buy a bunch and leave
them here for us. We are flat broke and have no vehicle, so we pretty
much have to wait for the guy. He did come last evening and replaced
the fuse. And he took me to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription
for Crash. He's not a bad guy. He's just spread himself too thin.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> Carol....can't you replace the fuses yourselves? or does he lock the
>>panel up??? It would save you a lot of agro.....Sharon

> We could, if we had any on hand. He's gonna buy a bunch and leave
> them here for us. We are flat broke and have no vehicle, so we pretty
> much have to wait for the guy. He did come last evening and replaced
> the fuse. And he took me to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription
> for Crash. He's not a bad guy. He's just spread himself too thin.
>
> Carol

Hang in there Hon. Things have to get better and spring has to come
sooner or later...Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:08:30 -0500, "biig" > wrote:

>>> Carol....can't you replace the fuses yourselves? or does he lock the
>>>panel up??? It would save you a lot of agro.....Sharon

>> We could, if we had any on hand. He's gonna buy a bunch and leave
>> them here for us. We are flat broke and have no vehicle, so we pretty
>> much have to wait for the guy. He did come last evening and replaced
>> the fuse. And he took me to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription
>> for Crash. He's not a bad guy. He's just spread himself too thin.
>>

> Hang in there Hon. Things have to get better and spring has to come
>sooner or later...Sharon

I hope we'll have heat before spring! LOL! Haven't heard anything
yet, but I do know we'll have hot water for showers and washing dishes
sometime tomorrow. Hopefully, the boiler won't be far behind.

Carol, who is getting a bit pungent

--
Change "invalid" to JamesBond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:01:12 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

>>> We could, if we had any on hand. He's gonna buy a bunch and leave
>>> them here for us. We are flat broke and have no vehicle, so we pretty
>>> much have to wait for the guy. He did come last evening and replaced
>>> the fuse. And he took me to the pharmacy to pick up a prescription
>>> for Crash. He's not a bad guy. He's just spread himself too thin.
>>>

>> Hang in there Hon. Things have to get better and spring has to come
>>sooner or later...Sharon

> I hope we'll have heat before spring! LOL! Haven't heard anything
> yet, but I do know we'll have hot water for showers and washing dishes
> sometime tomorrow. Hopefully, the boiler won't be far behind.
>
> Carol, who is getting a bit pungent

jeez, i first read that as 'getting a bit pregnant'...

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 14:12:45 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:58:21 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 09:01:12 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress wrote:
>>
>>> Carol, who is getting a bit pungent

>>jeez, i first read that as 'getting a bit pregnant'...

> Just a teeeeeeeeeny little bit. You'd hardly notice. But I wanted to
> keep it a secret for a little longer. You messed up my surprise!
>
> Carol

i can smell 'em.

your pal,
blake