Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Basil And Almond Soup Rec. For Lynn

The recipe calls for spaghetti but any pasta would work. Maybe even
rice. I don't think it needs the cheese but a sprinkle of parm never
hurts anything.

Lou

Basil And Almond Soup

Yield 4 servings

1 tbsp vegetable oil
I medium onion
2 garlic cloves finely chopped
1/4 cup slivered almonds
4 cups chicken stock
1/4 tsp black crushed peppercorns
4 tbsp chopped fresh basil
1/3 lbs. spaghetti, broken into pieces

Heat oil in a large saucepan over low heat. Add onion,
garlic, and almonds. Cook until onions are transparent.
Stir in stock, crushed peppercorns and basil. Cover and simmer 10
minutes. Boil pasta in another pot until al dente. Drain, and add to
soup. Serve topped with grated cheese if desired.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Lou Decruss wrote:

> The recipe calls for spaghetti but any pasta would work. Maybe even
> rice. I don't think it needs the cheese but a sprinkle of parm never
> hurts anything.
>
> Lou
>

> Basil And Almond Soup

Well, this Lin thinks the recipe looks delicious! Fast and simple, too.
I'm also imagining little additions as well. It seems like a great
recipe to use as a jump-off point for other things.

Clipped and saved.

Thanks!

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:17:19 -0600, Lou Decruss
> wrote:

>Basil And Almond Soup
>
>Yield 4 servings
>
>1 tbsp vegetable oil
>I medium onion
>2 garlic cloves finely chopped
>1/4 cup slivered almonds
>4 cups chicken stock
>1/4 tsp black crushed peppercorns
>4 tbsp chopped fresh basil
>1/3 lbs. spaghetti, broken into pieces

Could use a little salt to brighten up all the flavors.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 14:29:51 -0800, Lin >
wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>
>> The recipe calls for spaghetti but any pasta would work. Maybe even
>> rice. I don't think it needs the cheese but a sprinkle of parm never
>> hurts anything.
>>
>> Lou
>>

>> Basil And Almond Soup

>Well, this Lin thinks the recipe looks delicious! Fast and simple, too.
>I'm also imagining little additions as well. It seems like a great
>recipe to use as a jump-off point for other things.

Yep. It's a great starting point or wonderful as is.

>Clipped and saved.
>
>Thanks!

You're welcome.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:32:02 -0500, Mr. Bill > wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:17:19 -0600, Lou Decruss
> wrote:
>
>>Basil And Almond Soup
>>
>>Yield 4 servings
>>
>>1 tbsp vegetable oil
>>I medium onion
>>2 garlic cloves finely chopped
>>1/4 cup slivered almonds
>>4 cups chicken stock
>>1/4 tsp black crushed peppercorns
>>4 tbsp chopped fresh basil
>>1/3 lbs. spaghetti, broken into pieces

>Could use a little salt to brighten up all the flavors.

That would depend on the stock you're using. If I were using home
made stock I'd probably use some salt in the first step. I'm not a
big salt fan and only use it when necessary.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:36:55 -0600, Lou Decruss
> wrote:

> If I were using home
>made stock I'd probably use some salt in the first step.

You BUY chicken stock? I'll leave that to FoodTV and RR buying that
"boxed" liquid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:45:53 -0500, Mr. Bill > wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:36:55 -0600, Lou Decruss
> wrote:
>
>> If I were using home
>>made stock I'd probably use some salt in the first step.

>You BUY chicken stock?

Actually I usually have lots of home made in the freezer. But not
everyone does so I posted the recipe about as I found it. I didn't
add salt to the recipe because I assumed people would know if it
needed to be added depending on what stock they were using. It seems
I assumed wrong in your case. If you don't like the recipe then don't
make it.

> I'll leave that to FoodTV and RR buying that
>"boxed" liquid.

I'm sure you know more about them than I do.

Lou <-----losing patience with gmail and google posters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 17:37:59 -0600, Lou Decruss
> wrote:

> I assumed

Do you know what that phrase means?

I assume that I will wake up in the morning.....many won't.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Lin wrote:

> Lou Decruss wrote:
>
> > The recipe calls for spaghetti but any pasta would work. Maybe even
> > rice. I don't think it needs the cheese but a sprinkle of parm never
> > hurts anything.
> >
> > Lou
> >

> > Basil And Almond Soup

> Well, this Lin thinks the recipe looks delicious! Fast and simple, too.
> I'm also imagining little additions as well. It seems like a great
> recipe to use as a jump-off point for other things.
>
> Clipped and saved.
>
> Thanks!
>
> --Lin

Ditto what 'that Lin' said

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 22, 7:18*pm, Sky > wrote:
> Lin wrote:
>
> > Lou Decruss wrote:

> > > The recipe calls for spaghetti but any pasta would work. *Maybe even
> > > rice. *I don't think it needs the cheese but a sprinkle of parm never
> > > hurts anything.

> > > Lou

> > > Basil And Almond Soup

> > Well, this Lin thinks the recipe looks delicious! Fast and simple, too.
> > I'm also imagining little additions as well. It seems like a great
> > recipe to use as a jump-off point for other things.

> > Clipped and saved.

> > Thanks!

> > --Lin

> Ditto what 'that Lin' said
>
> Sky
>
> --
> Ultra Ultimate Kitchen Rule - Use the Timer!
> Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

THIS Lynn says "Thanks, Lou!" :-)
I'm making a pilgrimage to the Asian Market (that's its name - Asian
Market) They have beautiful basil - very handy for the Chinese/
Vietnamese restaurant three doors down - only Pho in Phargo!
Lynn from Phargo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:17:19 -0600, Lou Decruss
> wrote:

>The recipe calls for spaghetti but any pasta would work. Maybe even
>rice. I don't think it needs the cheese but a sprinkle of parm never
>hurts anything.
>
>Lou
>

>Basil And Almond Soup
>
>Yield 4 servings
>
>1 tbsp vegetable oil
>I medium onion
>2 garlic cloves finely chopped
>1/4 cup slivered almonds
>4 cups chicken stock
>1/4 tsp black crushed peppercorns
>4 tbsp chopped fresh basil
>1/3 lbs. spaghetti, broken into pieces
>
>Heat oil in a large saucepan over low heat. Add onion,
>garlic, and almonds. Cook until onions are transparent.
>Stir in stock, crushed peppercorns and basil. Cover and simmer 10
>minutes. Boil pasta in another pot until al dente. Drain, and add to
>soup. Serve topped with grated cheese if desired.

But but but.... Doesn't simmering basil for 10 minutes kill all the
basil taste?

Nathalie in Switzerland
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 24 Jan 2009 17:39:05 +0100, Nathalie Chiva
<Nathaliedotchivaatgmail.remove.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 16:17:19 -0600, Lou Decruss
> wrote:
>

>>The recipe calls for spaghetti but any pasta would work. Maybe even
>>rice. I don't think it needs the cheese but a sprinkle of parm never
>>hurts anything.
>>
>>Lou
>>

>>Basil And Almond Soup
>>
>>Yield 4 servings
>>
>>1 tbsp vegetable oil
>>I medium onion
>>2 garlic cloves finely chopped
>>1/4 cup slivered almonds
>>4 cups chicken stock
>>1/4 tsp black crushed peppercorns
>>4 tbsp chopped fresh basil
>>1/3 lbs. spaghetti, broken into pieces
>>
>>Heat oil in a large saucepan over low heat. Add onion,
>>garlic, and almonds. Cook until onions are transparent.
>>Stir in stock, crushed peppercorns and basil. Cover and simmer 10
>>minutes. Boil pasta in another pot until al dente. Drain, and add to
>>soup. Serve topped with grated cheese if desired.
>>

>But but but.... Doesn't simmering basil for 10 minutes kill all the
>basil taste?
>
>Nathalie in Switzerland

Nope. But you can add it whenever you feel you want.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 23:39:30 -0800 (PST), Lynn from Fargo
> wrote:

>On Jan 22, 7:18*pm, Sky > wrote:
>> Lin wrote:

>THIS Lynn says "Thanks, Lou!" :-)
>I'm making a pilgrimage to the Asian Market (that's its name - Asian
>Market) They have beautiful basil - very handy for the Chinese/
>Vietnamese restaurant three doors down - only Pho in Phargo!
>Lynn from Phargo

It's a good thing to have a good source for basil. I get it at a
place that serves an asian and euro area. It's pretty reasonable.
Those clamshell thingies that the big stupidmarkets sell for 2.50 are
a big rip-off.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lou Decruss wrote:

> The recipe calls for spaghetti but any pasta would work. Maybe even
> rice. I don't think it needs the cheese but a sprinkle of parm never
> hurts anything.

> Basil And Almond Soup

<snipped for space>

Had me worried there for a minute, Lou. What with Pandora being around
again and Basil the Lizard also being mentioned... ya get my drift. ;-)

So I was rather relieved when I saw it was a rather nice recipe - that
contained basil (the herb). Thanks. <g>
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 16:56:31 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>Lou Decruss wrote:
>

>> The recipe calls for spaghetti but any pasta would work. Maybe even
>> rice. I don't think it needs the cheese but a sprinkle of parm never
>> hurts anything.

>> Basil And Almond Soup

><snipped for space>
>
>Had me worried there for a minute, Lou. What with Pandora being around
>again and Basil the Lizard also being mentioned... ya get my drift. ;-)
>
>So I was rather relieved when I saw it was a rather nice recipe - that
>contained basil (the herb). Thanks. <g>

<laugh>

Lou

Did I miss Lynn Gifford (Lynn from Fargo) death announcement? The Cook General Cooking 13 28-10-2011 11:43 PM
Roasted Tomato and Basil Soup Leslie[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 19-06-2007 01:17 AM
Tomato Basil Soup Marita Blessing Recipes (moderated) 0 25-09-2006 05:08 AM
Tomato Basil Soup sf General Cooking 0 21-05-2006 03:24 AM
BASIL RICE SOUP Tim Recipes 0 03-01-2006 11:52 AM