Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default LA Times Midnight Chocolate Brownie Bites

Had some folks over for Bowl games today and made the Midnight
Chocolate Brownie Bites that was in the LA Times yesterday. OMG, those
things are seriously dangerous chocolate. I sent the few pieces that
were left over out the door, as I didn't want to have to work them off
at the gym tomorrow. Now, that they're gone, I cry for sorry...

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Midnight Chocolate Brownie Bites

desserts

1/2 cup (1 stick) butter plus more to butter the dish
1/2 pound bittersweet chocolate
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 tablespoon grand marnier
1 1/2 teaspoons lightly packed grated orange peel
2 eggs
1/4 cup best-quality cocoa
1/4 cup flour
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

1. Heat the oven to 350°F degrees. Line an 8-inch-square baking dish
with aluminum foil, leaving a 1-inch overhang. Lightly butter the
bottom and sides of the foil.

2. Melt the butter and bittersweet chocolate in a medium metal bowl
set over simmering water until the mixture is smooth. Stir in the
brown sugar until dissolved. Remove from the heat and stir in the
vanilla and Grand Marnier, then the grated orange peel.

3. Whisk in the eggs, one at a time, until completely blended and the
mixture is shiny and smooth; the mixture will be thickened at this
point.

4. Sift together the cocoa, flour and salt, then stir the flour
mixture into the batter until blended. Fold in the mini chocolate
chips.

5. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top. Bake for
35 to 40 minutes, until puffed and almost set. Do not overbake. Cool
while still in the pan, on a wire rack.

6. Lift the brownies out of the pan, using the foil as a handle, and
invert the brownies onto the cooling rack. Gently peel off the foil,
then return the brownies to their original position. Cool completely.
Cut into 25 squares, trimming off the edges if desired.

Contributor: LA Times

Yield: makes 25 brownies (more like 16, *ed.)

OTOH, after I completely f*cked up the creamy crabbies recipe for
Christine, please feel free to scrutinize the recipe against the
original LA Times article. <sigh>

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:

> Had some folks over for Bowl games today and made the Midnight
> Chocolate Brownie Bites that was in the LA Times yesterday. OMG, those
> things are seriously dangerous chocolate. I sent the few pieces that
> were left over out the door, as I didn't want to have to work them off
> at the gym tomorrow. Now, that they're gone, I cry for sorry...
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Midnight Chocolate Brownie Bites
>
> desserts
>
> 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter plus more to butter the dish
> 1/2 pound bittersweet chocolate
> 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
> 1 teaspoon vanilla
> 1 tablespoon grand marnier
> 1 1/2 teaspoons lightly packed grated orange peel
> 2 eggs
> 1/4 cup best-quality cocoa
> 1/4 cup flour
> 1/8 teaspoon salt
> 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

> Contributor: LA Times

> Yield: makes 25 brownies (more like 16, *ed.)
>
> OTOH, after I completely f*cked up the creamy crabbies recipe for
> Christine, please feel free to scrutinize the recipe against the
> original LA Times article. <sigh>
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

> ** Exported from Now You're Cooking! v5.83 **

Ohboy! Those sound good. Will triple sec do instead of Grand Marnier?

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Ohboy! Those sound good. Will triple sec do instead of Grand Marnier?

It should. Any subtlety in the GM will be lost with the brown sugar and
the added orange peel. IMHO, of course.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 11:01:28 -0600, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
>> Ohboy! Those sound good. Will triple sec do instead of Grand Marnier?
>>

>It should. Any subtlety in the GM will be lost with the brown sugar and
>the added orange peel. IMHO, of course.

I'd go with Kahlua.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Pulliam Burd wrote:
> Had some folks over for Bowl games today and made the Midnight
> Chocolate Brownie Bites that was in the LA Times yesterday. OMG, those
> things are seriously dangerous chocolate. I sent the few pieces that
> were left over out the door, as I didn't want to have to work them off
> at the gym tomorrow. Now, that they're gone, I cry for sorry...
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Midnight Chocolate Brownie Bites

Snipped and saved...wondering how it would be with baileys and nuts....