Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Quiche Lorraine

Thanks go to Betty Crocker. I buy premade frozen pie crusts.

The filling is as follows:

8 slices bacon, crisply cooked, crumbled
1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
1/3 cup finely chopped onion
4 large eggs
2 cups whipping cream or half-and-half ([ used half & half]
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)

Mix all ingredients of it together gently by hand. Pour into prepared pie
crust. Bake at 325F for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the
center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. May be served
hot or at room temperature.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> Thanks go to Betty Crocker. I buy premade frozen pie crusts.
>
> The filling is as follows:
>
> 8 slices bacon, crisply cooked, crumbled
> 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
> 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
> 4 large eggs
> 2 cups whipping cream or half-and-half ([ used half & half]
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon pepper
> 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
>
> Mix all ingredients of it together gently by hand. Pour into prepared
> pie crust. Bake at 325F for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in
> the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. May
> be served hot or at room temperature.
>
> Jill

Jill,

Geez...

I can wrap my arms around 80" inches.

Does that include you???

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Thanks go to Betty Crocker. I buy premade frozen pie crusts.
>
> The filling is as follows:
>
> 8 slices bacon, crisply cooked, crumbled
> 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
> 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
> 4 large eggs
> 2 cups whipping cream or half-and-half ([ used half & half]
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 teaspoon pepper
> 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
>
> Mix all ingredients of it together gently by hand. Pour into
> prepared pie crust. Bake at 325F for 45-50 minutes or until a knife
> inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before
> slicing. May be served hot or at room temperature.
>
> Jill

I'd suggest a) partially baking the crust first, b) sauteeing the onoins
separately before adding them, c) adding a little fresh nutmeg, and d) I
assume you do mean *beaten* eggs, since you are just mixing everything
gently?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Thanks go to Betty Crocker. I buy premade frozen pie crusts.
>>
>> The filling is as follows:
>>
>> 8 slices bacon, crisply cooked, crumbled
>> 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
>> 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
>> 4 large eggs
>> 2 cups whipping cream or half-and-half ([ used half & half]
>> 1/4 teaspoon salt
>> 1/4 teaspoon pepper
>> 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
>>
>> Mix all ingredients of it together gently by hand. Pour into
>> prepared pie crust. Bake at 325F for 45-50 minutes or until a knife
>> inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before
>> slicing. May be served hot or at room temperature.
>>
>> Jill

> I'd suggest a) partially baking the crust first, b) sauteeing the onoins
> separately before adding them, c) adding a little fresh nutmeg, and d) I
> assume you do mean *beaten* eggs, since you are just mixing everything
> gently?

Lightly beaten eggs, yes And the crusts I buy are deep dish and already
partially baked.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> jmcquown said...
>
>> Thanks go to Betty Crocker. I buy premade frozen pie crusts.
>>
>> The filling is as follows:
>>
>> 8 slices bacon, crisply cooked, crumbled
>> 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
>> 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
>> 4 large eggs
>> 2 cups whipping cream or half-and-half ([ used half & half]
>> 1/4 teaspoon salt
>> 1/4 teaspoon pepper
>> 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
>>
>> Mix all ingredients of it together gently by hand. Pour into prepared
>> pie crust. Bake at 325F for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in
>> the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing. May
>> be served hot or at room temperature.
>>
>> Jill

> Jill,
>
> Geez...
>
> I can wrap my arms around 80" inches.
>
> Does that include you???
>
> Best,
>
> Andy

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>> Thanks go to Betty Crocker. I buy premade frozen pie crusts.
>>
>> The filling is as follows:
>>
>> 8 slices bacon, crisply cooked, crumbled
>> 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
>> 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
>> 4 large eggs
>> 2 cups whipping cream or half-and-half ([ used half & half]
>> 1/4 teaspoon salt
>> 1/4 teaspoon pepper
>> 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
>>
>> Mix all ingredients of it together gently by hand. Pour into
>> prepared pie crust. Bake at 325F for 45-50 minutes or until a knife
>> inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 10 minutes before
>> slicing. May be served hot or at room temperature.
>>
>> Jill

> I'd suggest a) partially baking the crust first, b) sauteeing the onoins
> separately before adding them, c) adding a little fresh nutmeg, and d) I
> assume you do mean *beaten* eggs, since you are just mixing everything
> gently?

Quiche lorraine is not the same without nutmeg. Swiss makes a reasonable
substitue but gruyere makes the best flavor. Blind baking the pie shell is
important. I prefer shallots to onions.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in news:gj62a5$mjt$1
@news.motzarella.org:

> I prefer shallots to onions.

Leek.

--

Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest
of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 13:54:06 -0500, "Janet" >
wrote:

>I'd suggest a) partially baking the crust first,

Always a good idea, but often assumed by seasoned bakers.

>b) sauteeing the onoins separately before adding them,

Nice, but unnecessary... unless you're prone to heartburn.

>c) adding a little fresh nutmeg,

UGH! Never, never, never!

>d) I assume you do mean *beaten* eggs, since you are just mixing everything
>gently?

Probably "lightly beaten eggs", but again that's a seasoned quiche
maker's assumption. I remember when I was a kid (6 at the most), my
grandmother told my little sister to "beat the eggs". She looked at
my grandmother like she'd lost her mind, picked up the wooden spoon
and gave the eggs a big WHACK. Egg went all over the place and we
laughed ourselves silly. At that time I didn't know some children
were disciplined with wooden spoons and to this day, I have no idea
how she got the idea.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 14:26:48 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>And the crusts I buy are deep dish and already partially baked.

I need look more carefully at the frozen pie crusts! How long have
those been out? Please don't say 10 years. LOL!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 27 Dec 2008 01:31:31p, sf told us...

> On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 14:26:48 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>>And the crusts I buy are deep dish and already partially baked.

> I need look more carefully at the frozen pie crusts! How long have
> those been out? Please don't say 10 years. LOL!

I almost never use a frozen pie crust, but the best I've found are made by
Marie Callender. They are not partially baked, but if I use one I dock it
and pre-bake it first.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Date: Saturday, 12(XII)/27(XXVII)/08(MMVIII)
Countdown till New Year's Eve
3dys 10hrs 21mins
What a useless scroll, all it says is 'Hastur Hastur Hastur' over
and over again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 12:31:31 -0800, sf > wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 14:26:48 -0500, "jmcquown" >
>wrote:
>
>>And the crusts I buy are deep dish and already partially baked.

>I need look more carefully at the frozen pie crusts! How long have
>those been out? Please don't say 10 years. LOL!

I hate to tell you this, but yes..they have been out for a LONG
time...LOL.

I don't buy them, as I make my own pie crusts..but I do pay attention
to what is in the stores...

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 14:26:48 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>> And the crusts I buy are deep dish and already partially baked.

> I need look more carefully at the frozen pie crusts! How long have
> those been out? Please don't say 10 years. LOL!

Last year we are at a party at our neighbour's and met a French Canadian
lady who is supposedly chef and she was talking about making Tortieres
to sell for Christmas. My wife asked her if she used lard or shortening
for her pastry and was surprised to hear the woman say that she uses
frozen pastry shells from the grocery store. Given the cost of flour and
lard when bought in large quantities, and the little bit of work
involved in making pastry, that has to add significant cost to the price
of her pies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 16:33:11 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>> On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 14:26:48 -0500, "jmcquown" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> And the crusts I buy are deep dish and already partially baked.

>> I need look more carefully at the frozen pie crusts! How long have
>> those been out? Please don't say 10 years. LOL!

>Last year we are at a party at our neighbour's and met a French Canadian
>lady who is supposedly chef and she was talking about making Tortieres
>to sell for Christmas. My wife asked her if she used lard or shortening
>for her pastry and was surprised to hear the woman say that she uses
>frozen pastry shells from the grocery store. Given the cost of flour and
>lard when bought in large quantities, and the little bit of work
>involved in making pastry, that has to add significant cost to the price
>of her pies.

Time is money, Dave. Maybe she considers her time worth more than she
spends on premade pie crusts that come in their own disposable tin.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 12:31:31 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 14:26:48 -0500, "jmcquown"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> And the crusts I buy are deep dish and already partially baked.

>> I need look more carefully at the frozen pie crusts! How long have
>> those been out? Please don't say 10 years. LOL!

> I hate to tell you this, but yes..they have been out for a LONG
> time...LOL.

Then they must have thawed by now!

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 28, 6:28*am, sf > wrote:

> grandmother told my little sister to "beat the eggs". *She looked at
> my grandmother like she'd lost her mind, picked up the wooden spoon
> and gave the eggs a big WHACK. *

LOL That's funny....

Barb
s/y Arabella
www.sailinglinks.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 14:00:34 -0700, Christine Dabney
> wrote:

>On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 12:31:31 -0800, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 14:26:48 -0500, "jmcquown" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>And the crusts I buy are deep dish and already partially baked.

>>I need look more carefully at the frozen pie crusts! How long have
>>those been out? Please don't say 10 years. LOL!

>I hate to tell you this, but yes..they have been out for a LONG
>time...LOL.
>
>I don't buy them, as I make my own pie crusts..but I do pay attention
>to what is in the stores...

It's amazing that I've managed to miss them all this time and I'm not
anti-premade crust either.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> I'd suggest a) partially baking the crust first, b) sauteeing the onoins
> separately before adding them, c) adding a little fresh nutmeg, and d) I
> assume you do mean *beaten* eggs, since you are just mixing everything
> gently?

Totally agree on the dash of nutmeg. I thought that was standard with
the onions and swiss cheese in a quiche Lorraine? The cayenne doesn't
sound right in there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill replied to Andy:

>> Geez...
>>
>> I can wrap my arms around 80" inches.
>>
>> Does that include you???
>>

> I have no idea what you're talking about.

I think that was Andy's way of saying he wanted to hug you for posting the
recipe.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:
> Last year we are at a party at our neighbour's and met a French Canadian
> lady who is supposedly chef and she was talking about making Tortieres
> to sell for Christmas. My wife asked her if she used lard or shortening
> for her pastry and was surprised to hear the woman say that she uses
> frozen pastry shells from the grocery store. Given the cost of flour and
> lard when bought in large quantities, and the little bit of work
> involved in making pastry, that has to add significant cost to the price
> of her pies.

So, what's your point? She knows what her market will bear and "a
little of work" for one or two crusts can become a lot of work if she's
making many for sale. Her time, skill, and effort involved in making
scratch crust might well (I would hope) significantly increase the
selling price of the finished product, perhaps more than what her market
will bear.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
<http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bob Terwilliger said...

> Jill replied to Andy:
>
>>> Geez...
>>>
>>> I can wrap my arms around 80" inches.
>>>
>>> Does that include you???
>>>

>> I have no idea what you're talking about.

> I think that was Andy's way of saying he wanted to hug you for posting

the
> recipe.
>
> Bob

Yeah, that's about how far I can wrap my arms. Probably twice around Jill!

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Janet wrote:
>
>> I'd suggest a) partially baking the crust first, b) sauteeing the onoins
>> separately before adding them, c) adding a little fresh nutmeg, and d) I
>> assume you do mean *beaten* eggs, since you are just mixing everything
>> gently?

> Totally agree on the dash of nutmeg. I thought that was standard with the
> onions and swiss cheese in a quiche Lorraine? The cayenne doesn't sound
> right in there.

Argue with Better Crocker.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 27, 3:31*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> "Goomba" > wrote in message

> > Janet wrote:

> >> I'd suggest a) partially baking the crust first, b) sauteeing the onoins
> >> separately before adding them, c) adding a little fresh nutmeg, and d) I
> >> assume you do mean *beaten* eggs, since you are just mixing everything
> >> gently?

> > Totally agree on the dash of nutmeg. I thought that was standard with the
> > onions and swiss cheese in a quiche Lorraine? The cayenne doesn't sound
> > right in there.

> Argue with Better Crocker.

I'm pretty sure she died a few years ago
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:
> On Dec 27, 3:31 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:

>>> Totally agree on the dash of nutmeg. I thought that was standard with the
>>> onions and swiss cheese in a quiche Lorraine? The cayenne doesn't sound
>>> right in there.

>> Argue with Better Crocker.

> I'm pretty sure she died a few years ago

She never existed.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

merryb wrote:

> On Dec 27, 3:31 pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:

>>>Totally agree on the dash of nutmeg. I thought that was standard with the
>>>onions and swiss cheese in a quiche Lorraine? The cayenne doesn't sound
>>>right in there.

>>Argue with Better Crocker.

> I'm pretty sure she died a few years ago

You wanna borrow my Ouija Board?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 20:22:43 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

>merryb wrote:

>>> Argue with Better Crocker.

>> I'm pretty sure she died a few years ago

>She never existed.

You missed the smiley wink.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> Dave Smith > wrote:

>> Last year we are at a party at our neighbour's and met a French Canadian
>> lady who is supposedly chef and she was talking about making Tortieres
>> to sell for Christmas. My wife asked her if she used lard or shortening
>> for her pastry and was surprised to hear the woman say that she uses
>> frozen pastry shells from the grocery store. Given the cost of flour and
>> lard when bought in large quantities, and the little bit of work
>> involved in making pastry, that has to add significant cost to the price
>> of her pies.

>So, what's your point? She knows what her market will bear and "a
>little of work" for one or two crusts can become a lot of work if she's
>making many for sale. Her time, skill, and effort involved in making
>scratch crust might well (I would hope) significantly increase the
>selling price of the finished product, perhaps more than what her market
>will bear.

Plus, restaruants routinely by frozen stacks of pastry sheets
to use in their puffs, tortieres, etc. Sometimes I think a
professional chef is more likely to use something pre-made
than an amateur (and much of the time, it's a good choice).

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 19:30:51 -0600, Kathleen
> wrote:

>*Crawfishing: A backwards retreat that allows you to keep an eye out
>for potential hazards.

LOL.... I understood immediately! I heard a lot about family spats
from my friends.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 27, 5:36*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 20:22:43 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
> >merryb wrote:

> >> I'm pretty sure she died a few years ago

> >She never existed.

> You missed the smiley wink.
>
> --
> I never worry about diets. The only carrots that
> interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.
>
> Mae West

Thank you!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 20:22:43 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:
>
>> merryb wrote:

>>> I'm pretty sure she died a few years ago

>> She never existed.

> You missed the smiley wink.

I wasn't sure that was what it implied.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 17:07:57 -0800 (PST), merryb wrote:

> On Dec 27, 3:31*pm, "jmcquown" > wrote:

>>> Totally agree on the dash of nutmeg. I thought that was standard with the
>>> onions and swiss cheese in a quiche Lorraine? The cayenne doesn't sound
>>> right in there.

>> Argue with Better Crocker.

> I'm pretty sure she died a few years ago

sad, sad case. cayenne overdose.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 20:22:43 -0500, Jean B. wrote:

> merryb wrote:

>>> Argue with Better Crocker.

>> I'm pretty sure she died a few years ago

> She never existed.

you mean i've been masturbating all these years over nothing?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 20:22:43 -0500, Jean B. wrote:
>
>> merryb wrote:

>>> I'm pretty sure she died a few years ago

>> She never existed.

> you mean i've been masturbating all these years over nothing?
>
> your pal,
> blake

LOL!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 28, 8:46*am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 20:22:43 -0500, Jean B. wrote:
> > merryb wrote:

> >> I'm pretty sure she died a few years ago

> > She never existed.

> you mean i've been masturbating all these years over nothing?
>
> your pal,
> blake

Now you can turn to Mrs. Paul, Aunt Jemima, and Mrs Dash LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 27, 5:32*pm, Kathleen > wrote:
> merryb wrote:

> >>Argue with Better Crocker.

> > I'm pretty sure she died a few years ago

> You wanna borrow my Ouija Board?

I don't know about that- I never really saw the big deal with those,
but I know lots of people who do...did you ever see the first "13
Ghosts"? I saw that when I was a kid on "Creature Features" with Pete
Wilkens? on Channel 9 in N.CA, and it totally scared the shit outta
me! LOL! I saw it as an adult, and well, you know- not anything like I
remembered!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> Janet wrote:
>
> > I'd suggest a) partially baking the crust first, b) sauteeing the onoins
> > separately before adding them, c) adding a little fresh nutmeg, and d) I
> > assume you do mean *beaten* eggs, since you are just mixing everything
> > gently?
> >

> Totally agree on the dash of nutmeg. I thought that was standard with
> the onions and swiss cheese in a quiche Lorraine? The cayenne doesn't
> sound right in there.

Neither cayenne, onions nor cheese would be in an old-style quiche
Lorraine. The French recipes we have contain bacon, heavy cream, eggs
and nutmeg. However some versions are made with cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 11:55:11 -0800 (PST), merryb wrote:

> On Dec 28, 8:46*am, blake murphy > wrote:

>>> She never existed.

>> you mean i've been masturbating all these years over nothing?
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> Now you can turn to Mrs. Paul, Aunt Jemima, and Mrs Dash LOL

aunt jemima got soul!

at least it's not the pillsbury dough boy.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nathalie Chiva" <Nathaliedotchivaatgmail.remove.com> wrote
> Well, except that true, original quiche Lorraine doesn't contain any
> cheese (but many French people don't know that either). Only a crust,
> cream, eggs, and bacon. See he
> http://www.epicurien.be/blog/recette...itionnelle.asp

You're right, many French people apparently do not know that. I imagine it
is still good, but everything is better with cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nathalie Chiva wrote:

>> Totally agree on the dash of nutmeg. I thought that was standard with
>> the onions and swiss cheese in a quiche Lorraine? The cayenne doesn't
>> sound right in there.

> Well, except that true, original quiche Lorraine doesn't contain any
> cheese (but many French people don't know that either). Only a crust,
> cream, eggs, and bacon. See he
> http://www.epicurien.be/blog/recette...itionnelle.asp
>
> Nathalie in Switzerland

And nutmeg, I see. I knew it belonged in there!
It just *works* so well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nathalie Chiva <Nathaliedotchivaatgmail.remove.com> wrote:

> Well, except that true, original quiche Lorraine doesn't contain any
> cheese (but many French people don't know that either). Only a crust,
> cream, eggs, and bacon. See he
>http://www.epicurien.be/blog/recette...itionnelle.asp

Yes, indeed. And if a quiche contains something else, it gets called by
another name. If there is cheese, it is quiche vosgienne or quiche au
fromage; if there are onions, it is quiche alsacienne. And the original
name of quiche Lorraine is of course Lothringer Speckkuchen.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Is quiche French for kiss, like kiss Lorraine?

(sorry-----just a bit of jocularity)