Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 18 pound bone-in rib roast How to cook this monster?

A friend called and asked me what he should do with it?
I've never cooked a rib roast that big and need some suggestions?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" wrote:
> A friend called and asked me what he should do with it?
> I've never cooked a rib roast that big and need some suggestions?

Send it to me. lol

Depends how many are coming for dinner.

That's probably the entire rib section, would be a shame to freeze
it. I would cut it in half. I'd debone the large end, tie for
roasting, and use the bones for grilling or braising. Roast the
smaller end as a standing rib roast. I think for the home cook it's
best to make it into two roasts... whole it'd probably be too long to
fit the oven, and would be near impossible to cook to the same
doneness throughout.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Sheldon > wrote:

> "Kswck" wrote:
> > A friend called and asked me what he should do with it?
> > I've never cooked a rib roast that big and need some suggestions?

> Send it to me. lol
>
> Depends how many are coming for dinner.
>
> That's probably the entire rib section, would be a shame to freeze
> it. I would cut it in half. I'd debone the large end, tie for
> roasting, and use the bones for grilling or braising. Roast the
> smaller end as a standing rib roast. I think for the home cook it's
> best to make it into two roasts... whole it'd probably be too long to
> fit the oven, and would be near impossible to cook to the same
> doneness throughout.

Agreed. Trying to roast that thing whole would probably end in disaster.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon > wrote:

> "Kswck" wrote:
>> A friend called and asked me what he should do with it?
>> I've never cooked a rib roast that big and need some suggestions?

> Send it to me. lol
>
> Depends how many are coming for dinner.
>
> That's probably the entire rib section,

Nope. Ribs 7-13.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
>A friend called and asked me what he should do with it?
> I've never cooked a rib roast that big and need some suggestions?

I'd do it the same way as any other rib roast. Assuming you have a pan long
enough.

Keep in mind, it may take a little longer than a small roast, it wont take a
lot longer. The cross section of the roast is about the same no matter if
it is 4, 8 or 18 pounds. I could not guess at the time, but I'd definitely
have the thermometer plugged in to it.

There have been a couple of threads about cooking a rib roast in the past
couple of days. Pick a method that sounds good to you and go for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'd say....cut that big boy in half and cook TWO nine pounders. Better
yet, cut the two halves in half, too.

I cant imagine cooking a roast THAT big without getting it too done on
the outside and too rare in the center.

Lass

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lass Chance_2" > wrote in message
> I'd say....cut that big boy in half and cook TWO nine pounders. Better
> yet, cut the two halves in half, too.
>
> I cant imagine cooking a roast THAT big without getting it too done on
> the outside and too rare in the center.
>

> Lass

Do you have that problem with hot dogs and sausages? A big rib roast is the
same cross section as the small ones, same as a short or long sausage.
Should not be a problem. If it was a round roast, it would be a different
story and need slow cooling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Sheldon > wrote:
>
>> "Kswck" wrote:
>>> A friend called and asked me what he should do with it?
>>> I've never cooked a rib roast that big and need some suggestions?

>> Send it to me. lol
>>
>> Depends how many are coming for dinner.
>>
>> That's probably the entire rib section, would be a shame to freeze
>> it. I would cut it in half. I'd debone the large end, tie for
>> roasting, and use the bones for grilling or braising. Roast the
>> smaller end as a standing rib roast. I think for the home cook it's
>> best to make it into two roasts... whole it'd probably be too long to
>> fit the oven, and would be near impossible to cook to the same
>> doneness throughout.

> Agreed. Trying to roast that thing whole would probably end in disaster.

Not agreed. Restaurants do this all the time. They roast them
whole, just like I posted the recipe for earlier which Sheldon
called bullshit. 500F for 20 minutes, then 225-250F for the
remainder of the time. This works for any large piece of meat and
produces a perfectly even doneness throughout.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

> Sheldon > wrote:
>
>> "Kswck" wrote:
>>> A friend called and asked me what he should do with it?
>>> I've never cooked a rib roast that big and need some suggestions?

>> Send it to me. lol
>>
>> Depends how many are coming for dinner.
>>
>> That's probably the entire rib section,

> Nope. Ribs 7-13.

Make that 6-12. Rib #13 is Chuck, rib #5 is short loin.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> "Kswck" wrote:
>> A friend called and asked me what he should do with it?
>> I've never cooked a rib roast that big and need some suggestions?

> Send it to me. lol
>
> Depends how many are coming for dinner.
>
> That's probably the entire rib section, would be a shame to freeze
> it. I would cut it in half. I'd debone the large end, tie for
> roasting, and use the bones for grilling or braising. Roast the
> smaller end as a standing rib roast. I think for the home cook it's
> best to make it into two roasts... whole it'd probably be too long to
> fit the oven, and would be near impossible to cook to the same
> doneness throughout.

I'm told it is 17 1/2 inches long. I suggested he cut it in half, but he
wanted a whole chunk. The bones have been cutoff and retied.
There are about 20 people for dinner. Fortunately, I am not one of them as I
would be handed the thing and be told to cook it.
I have a turkey pan that is 17 inches long, but I doubt squeezing the thing
into it would have good consequences.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kswck" > wrote in message
>A friend called and asked me what he should do with it?
> I've never cooked a rib roast that big and need some suggestions?

Further: It is 17 1/2 inches long, has had the bones cut off and retied.
Largest pan available is a turkey pan 17 inches across at its longest.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kswck wrote:

> "Kswck" > wrote in message
> >A friend called and asked me what he should do with it?
> > I've never cooked a rib roast that big and need some suggestions?
> >

> Further: It is 17 1/2 inches long, has had the bones cut off and retied.
> Largest pan available is a turkey pan 17 inches across at its longest.

A turkey roaster rack would probably do it good actually, especially if
a convection oven is available. An extra half baking sheet under the
roaster pan should be big enough to catch drips from the overhang,
otherwise make spillways with HD AL foil. I'm of the opinion if should
be seasoned simply with kosher salt and FGBP and cooked at high temp for
a short period followed by low temp until done as determined by a
thermometer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 21, 10:36�am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> Omelet > wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > �Sheldon > wrote:

> >> Send it to me. lol

> >> Depends how many are coming for dinner.

> >> That's probably the entire rib section, would be a shame to freeze
> >> it. �I would cut it in half. �I'd debone the large end, tie for
> >> roasting, and use the bones for grilling or braising. �Roast the
> >> smaller end as a standing rib roast. �I think for the home cook it's
> >> best to make it into two roasts... whole it'd probably be too long to
> >> fit the oven, and would be near impossible to cook to the same
> >> doneness throughout.

> > Agreed. Trying to roast that thing whole would probably end in disaster..

> Not agreed. �Restaurants do this all the time. �They roast them
> whole, just like I posted the recipe for earlier which Sheldon
> called bullshit. �500F for 20 minutes, then 225-250F for the
> remainder of the time. �This works for any large piece of meat and
> produces a perfectly even doneness throughout.

Sqwartz, you are DEFINITELY FULL OF SHIT... you've never in your life
cooked a rib roast, in fact you've never seen one except those small
sections at your favorite SHIT warehouse stupidmarket.

An 18 pound rib roast is indeed the full primal section, inclusive of
chine bone. The info I gave previously is correct... but yoose
imbeciles believe whatever you want.

http://www.beefandvealculinary.com/C...efRibRoast.pdf
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 11:13:55 -0500, "Kswck" >
wrote:

>"Kswck" > wrote in message
>>A friend called and asked me what he should do with it?
>> I've never cooked a rib roast that big and need some suggestions?
>>

>Further: It is 17 1/2 inches long, has had the bones cut off and retied.
>Largest pan available is a turkey pan 17 inches across at its longest.

So cut one nice 1/2 inch rib eye steak off one end and viola! you have
a roast that will fit in the pan you have. Also remember, it's going
to shrink a bit as it cooks, at least enough to end up fitting in the
pan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lass Chance_2 > wrote:

> I'd say....cut that big boy in half and cook TWO nine pounders. Better
> yet, cut the two halves in half, too.
>
> I cant imagine cooking a roast THAT big without getting it too done on
> the outside and too rare in the center.

That's because most of the suggestions here are from people cooking
at too high a temperature (above 300F).

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> Omelet > wrote:
>
> > In article
> > >,
> > Sheldon > wrote:

> >> Send it to me. lol
> >>
> >> Depends how many are coming for dinner.
> >>
> >> That's probably the entire rib section, would be a shame to freeze
> >> it. I would cut it in half. I'd debone the large end, tie for
> >> roasting, and use the bones for grilling or braising. Roast the
> >> smaller end as a standing rib roast. I think for the home cook it's
> >> best to make it into two roasts... whole it'd probably be too long to
> >> fit the oven, and would be near impossible to cook to the same
> >> doneness throughout.

> > Agreed. Trying to roast that thing whole would probably end in disaster.

> Not agreed. Restaurants do this all the time. They roast them
> whole, just like I posted the recipe for earlier which Sheldon
> called bullshit. 500F for 20 minutes, then 225-250F for the
> remainder of the time. This works for any large piece of meat and
> produces a perfectly even doneness throughout.
>
> -sw

Okay. I'm just chicken. ;-)
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 21, 11:11�am, "Kswck" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> > "Kswck" wrote:
> >> A friend called and asked me what he should do with it?
> >> I've never cooked a rib roast that big and need some suggestions?

> > Send it to me. lol

> > Depends how many are coming for dinner.

> > That's probably the entire rib section, would be a shame to freeze
> > it. �I would cut it in half. �I'd debone the large end, tie for
> > roasting, and use the bones for grilling or braising. �Roast the
> > smaller end as a standing rib roast. �I think for the home cook it's
> > best to make it into two roasts... whole it'd probably be too long to
> > fit the oven, and would be near impossible to cook to the same
> > doneness throughout.

> I'm told it is 17 1/2 inches long. I suggested he cut it in half, but he
> wanted a whole chunk. The bones have been cutoff and retied.
> There are about 20 people for dinner. Fortunately, I am not one of them as I
> would be handed the thing and be told to cook it.
> I have a turkey pan that is 17 inches long, but I doubt squeezing the thing
> into it would have good consequences.

The story is in transition, now it's inches, not pounds, and it's not
a bone-in rib roast anymore... you were told, well, now it's pure hear-
say... other than **** poor manners for asking your advice (but for
not inviting you) you really haven't a clue what your acquaintence
has, I've no idea either. He should ask the person who already
butchered it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Lass Chance_2 > wrote:
>
>> I'd say....cut that big boy in half and cook TWO nine pounders. Better
>> yet, cut the two halves in half, too.
>>
>> I cant imagine cooking a roast THAT big without getting it too done on
>> the outside and too rare in the center.

> That's because most of the suggestions here are from people cooking
> at too high a temperature (above 300F).
>
> -sw

Some of us like it that way. I do it at 400 on convection. The
contrasting portions are a delectable taste treat, especially the outside
bark.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

>Lass Chance_2 > wrote:

>> I cant imagine cooking a roast THAT big without getting it too done on
>> the outside and too rare in the center.

>That's because most of the suggestions here are from people cooking
>at too high a temperature (above 300F).

That's one reason, the other is that a roast that large
cannot really be allowed to come fully up to room temperature
before roasting, because it would have to spend too many
hours unrefrigerated. So the roast is going to be cold,
especially in the middle, when it goes into the oven.
To compensate, as Steve states you need a lower oven temperature
than for a smaller roast.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 21, 10:43�am, Sqwertz > wrote:
> Sqwertz > wrote:
> > Sheldon > wrote:

> >> Send it to me. lol

> >> Depends how many are coming for dinner.

> >> That's probably the entire rib section,

> > Nope. �Ribs 7-13.

> Make that 6-12. �Rib #13 is Chuck, rib #5 is short loin.
>
> -sw

Six ribs is like 10 pounds... how does that come to 18 pounds, MORON.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon > wrote:

> On Dec 21, 10:36�am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> Omelet > wrote:
>>> In article

>>> Agreed. Trying to roast that thing whole would probably end in disaster.

>> Not agreed. �Restaurants do this all the time. �They roast them
>> whole, just like I posted the recipe for earlier which Sheldon
>> called bullshit. �500F for 20 minutes, then 225-250F for the
>> remainder of the time. �This works for any large piece of meat and
>> produces a perfectly even doneness throughout.

> Sqwartz, you are DEFINITELY FULL OF SHIT... you've never in your life
> cooked a rib roast, in fact you've never seen one except those small
> sections at your favorite SHIT warehouse stupidmarket.
>
> An 18 pound rib roast is indeed the full primal section, inclusive of
> chine bone. The info I gave previously is correct... but yoose
> imbeciles believe whatever you want.
>
> http://www.beefandvealculinary.com/C...efRibRoast.pdf

What exactly are you disagreeing with me about? Yes - a full prime
rib roast is the whole rib section, but it's not all the ribs - it's
only ribs 6-12.

If that's what you're referring to, then please find the correct
post where you mentioned that and respond to that post rather than
my post where we're discussing cooking methods.

I know it's hard to concentrate with all that cheap vodka sloshing
around in your brain, but just put in a little more effort to be
coherent, OK?

As for your cooking method, it would ruin a rib roast.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 10:46:50 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>> Not agreed. Restaurants do this all the time. They roast them
>> whole, just like I posted the recipe for earlier which Sheldon
>> called bullshit. 500F for 20 minutes, then 225-250F for the
>> remainder of the time. This works for any large piece of meat and
>> produces a perfectly even doneness throughout.
>>
>> -sw

>Okay. I'm just chicken. ;-)

If you've never tried it, you need to someday. It works! I tried it
after a local newspaper posted "the best method" a few years ago and
haven't looked back.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 21, 9:55�am, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> "Lass Chance_2" > wrote in message

> > I'd say....cut that big boy in half and cook TWO nine pounders. Better
> > yet, cut the two halves in half, too.

> > I cant imagine cooking a roast THAT big without getting it �too done on
> > the outside and too rare in the center.

> > Lass

> Do you have that problem with hot dogs and sausages? �A big rib roast is the
> same cross section as the small ones, same as a short or long sausage.
> Should not be a problem. � If it was a round roast, it would be a different
> story and need slow cooling.

Beef rib roast is about twice as thick at the large end (distal) as
the small end (anterior)... cooked at the same temperature for the
same time the large end will still be rare while the small end will be
well done... an 18 pounder includes the full large end and full small
end... Lass Chance_2 is correct. Restaurants never cook both ends
together, they must be separated and the small end pulled first...
restaurants almost always serve only the large end, it's fattier and
cheaper, the smaller end is what's cut into ribeye steaks Typically
when folks buy rib roast for a large number of people they buy all
small ends or all large ends, then they can cook them all the same
way... the full rib section is never cooked together unless ground
into burger. An 18 lb rib section will barely fit into the typical
30" stove oven anyway (they're only like 22" wide, and what about the
pan?), a pan large enough would need to span from end to end with no
space for proper convection. Once again, for the pinheads, cut the
roast into at least two parts... I might have cut four-five ribs of
the small end into rib steaks, then the entire larger section could be
roasted as one, but still it would be better to make two halves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 10:46:50 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >> Not agreed. Restaurants do this all the time. They roast them
> >> whole, just like I posted the recipe for earlier which Sheldon
> >> called bullshit. 500F for 20 minutes, then 225-250F for the
> >> remainder of the time. This works for any large piece of meat and
> >> produces a perfectly even doneness throughout.
> >>
> >> -sw

> >Okay. I'm just chicken. ;-)

> If you've never tried it, you need to someday. It works! I tried it
> after a local newspaper posted "the best method" a few years ago and
> haven't looked back.

Considering how much I love beef...

but there is just the two of us. :-)

I'd have to cook for a party to justify it.

But thanks!

Please e-mail me your best method if you have time so I can store it. I
love beef rib meat and really would like to try this.

What about rack of lamb?

As far as large hunks of meat, we have roasted 20 lb. turkeys here at
the rate of 375 and 15 minutes per lb. minus 1 hour.
I need to learn to use meat thermometers. I bought one but ruined it the
first time out. It ended up with a bunch of moisture inside of it.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 21, 11:18�am, "Pete C." > wrote:
> Kswck wrote:
>
> > "Kswck" > wrote in message
> > >A friend called and asked me what he should do with it?
> > > I've never cooked a rib roast that big and need some suggestions?

> > Further: It is 17 1/2 inches long, has had the bones cut off and retied..
> > Largest pan available is a turkey pan 17 inches across at its longest.

> A turkey roaster rack would probably do it good actually, especially if
> a convection oven is available. An extra half baking sheet under the
> roaster pan should be big enough to catch drips from the overhang,
> otherwise make spillways with HD AL foil. I'm of the opinion if should
> be seasoned simply with kosher salt and FGBP and cooked at high temp for
> a short period followed by low temp until done as determined by a
> thermometer.

Rube Goldberg ridiculousness... I got yer overhang, schwingin'!

If a pan that spans from one side of the oven to the other is placed
under the roasting pan the roast won't cook at all... at stupid
sqwartz's temp of 225 it'll have to take at least two days cooking, to
make dehy beef.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 21, 11:38�am, wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 11:13:55 -0500, "Kswck" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Kswck" > wrote in message
> >>A friend called and asked me what he should do with it?
> >> I've never cooked a rib roast that big and need some suggestions?

> >Further: It is 17 1/2 inches long, has had the bones cut off and retied.
> >Largest pan available is a turkey pan 17 inches across at its longest.

> So cut one nice 1/2 inch rib eye steak off one end and viola! you have
> a roast that will fit in the pan you have. Also remember, it's going
> to shrink a bit as it cooks, at least enough to end up fitting in the
> pan.

This is cooking, not fitted slip covers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 11:44:47 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

>Considering how much I love beef...
>
>but there is just the two of us. :-)
>
>I'd have to cook for a party to justify it.

I only do it when there's more than the two of us, and it's a special
occasion. I'll be doing it Christmas Eve.

>But thanks!
>
>Please e-mail me your best method if you have time so I can store it. I
>love beef rib meat and really would like to try this.

Will do ASAP. Give me a minute.

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
sf > wrote:

> On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 11:44:47 -0600, Omelet >
> wrote:
>
> >Considering how much I love beef...
> >
> >but there is just the two of us. :-)
> >
> >I'd have to cook for a party to justify it.

> I only do it when there's more than the two of us, and it's a special
> occasion. I'll be doing it Christmas Eve.
> >
> >But thanks!
> >
> >Please e-mail me your best method if you have time so I can store it. I
> >love beef rib meat and really would like to try this.

> Will do ASAP. Give me a minute.

No rush, thanks!

It gets stored on the HD (and the Iomega backup) for future reference.
;-D

I DO have a 4 party dinner to cook the Saturday after Christmas, but
they prefer fish or poultry. Plans are to do some grilled farm catfish
with lime and dill weed.

Poultry would be cheaper, but I'm a bit burned out on it right now.
I'll roast our Christmas ham on Sunday. My dinner guests don't eat pork.
--
Peace! Om

"Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries. Without them humanity cannot survive." -- Dalai Lama
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 12:03:28 -0500, "Ed Pawlowski" >
wrote:

>Some of us like it that way. I do it at 400 on convection. The
>contrasting portions are a delectable taste treat, especially the outside
>bark.

I like it that way too, but I like the red part to take up as much
space as possible. I love that bark!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon > wrote:

> On Dec 21, 10:43�am, Sqwertz > wrote:
>> Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> Nope. �Ribs 7-13.

>> Make that 6-12. �Rib #13 is chuck, rib #5 is short loin.
>>
>> -sw

> Six ribs is like 10 pounds... how does that come to 18 pounds, MORON.

That's _7_ ribs for those who can count (duh!). Prime (or Primal)
Rib is ribs #6-#12 - period. And that comes to 16-22 pounds. Those
of us who *have* bought a whole prime rib or shop the big
fercockatah box stores know this..

You will never find a prime rib or standing rib roast that includes
anything outside of these specific ribs. Anything lower is chuck,
anything higher is [short] loin.

Your prime rib ,OTOH, comes in form of 4x3x2" cans and is labeled
"SPAM".

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope > wrote:

> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>>Lass Chance_2 > wrote:

>>> I cant imagine cooking a roast THAT big without getting it too done on
>>> the outside and too rare in the center.

>>That's because most of the suggestions here are from people cooking
>>at too high a temperature (above 300F).

> That's one reason, the other is that a roast that large
> cannot really be allowed to come fully up to room temperature
> before roasting, because it would have to spend too many
> hours unrefrigerated. So the roast is going to be cold,
> especially in the middle, when it goes into the oven.
> To compensate, as Steve states you need a lower oven temperature
> than for a smaller roast.

This works for anything as small as a single 1" thick steak. The
low temperatures are basis of sous vide cooking, which is becoming
more and more popular. Even large food processors are starting to
use the method (not to mention many of the chain restaurants
producing single-serving portions).

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
On Dec 21, 11:11?am, "Kswck" > wrote:
> "Sheldon" > wrote in message

> > "Kswck" wrote:
> >> A friend called and asked me what he should do with it?
> >> I've never cooked a rib roast that big and need some suggestions?

> > Send it to me. lol

> > Depends how many are coming for dinner.

> > That's probably the entire rib section, would be a shame to freeze
> > it. ?I would cut it in half. ?I'd debone the large end, tie for
> > roasting, and use the bones for grilling or braising. ?Roast the
> > smaller end as a standing rib roast. ?I think for the home cook it's
> > best to make it into two roasts... whole it'd probably be too long to
> > fit the oven, and would be near impossible to cook to the same
> > doneness throughout.

> I'm told it is 17 1/2 inches long. I suggested he cut it in half, but he
> wanted a whole chunk. The bones have been cutoff and retied.
> There are about 20 people for dinner. Fortunately, I am not one of them as
> would be handed the thing and be told to cook it.
> I have a turkey pan that is 17 inches long, but I doubt squeezing the
> thing
> into it would have good consequences.

The story is in transition, now it's inches, not pounds, and it's not
a bone-in rib roast anymore... you were told, well, now it's pure hear-
say... other than **** poor manners for asking your advice (but for
not inviting you) you really haven't a clue what your acquaintence
has, I've no idea either. He should ask the person who already
butchered it.

Sheldon: the roast is 18lbs and 17 1/2 inches long, bone has been cut off
and tied back on. This is being made by a guy whom you would classify as
having TIAD. Per him: steaks should have LOTS of garlic powder and 'maybe'
some black pepper. I ask merely for information in that I wouldn't try to
cook something that big in a convential oven, rather I would like to offer
him some advise to prevent him from looking really stupid when it is
overcooked-perhaps that is not possible.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nina" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 21 Dec 2008 09:17:47 -0500, "Kswck" >
> wrote:
>
>>A friend called and asked me what he should do with it?
>>I've never cooked a rib roast that big and need some suggestions?

> My mother used to cook big roasts like this every year. Once you get
> around the finding a pan problem, it's no different than any other
> roast. Just cook long and slow.

<snip>
I do have a restaurant supply house nearby-if needed.