Vince Poroke

Default My First Pumpking Pie (Insight needed)

I will be making my first semi fresh pumpkin pie. What I mean by semi
is using unseasoned canned pumpkin. Here is what ingredients I will
be using based on other recipes I have read, but as Dimitri will note,
the process is what I feel is important. Please give me your
experience and tips as to what to avoid, what to look for and what to
do or not do. Here is my list of ingredients I was planning on using.
Should I omit any or add any? The amounts haven't been set yet.
Thank you for you insight.

1 can of pumpkin
cinnamon
nutmeg
ground cloves
honey
brown sugar
condensed milk
3 eggs

I didn't read any recipes that used honey but I thought the flavors
would go together nicely, any thoughts? I went with condensed milk
but I am waffling on using heavy cream instead. How would I know if I
made the filling to runny before I bake it?
Rick & Cyndi

"Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
om...
: I will be making my first semi fresh pumpkin pie. What I mean
by semi
: is using unseasoned canned pumpkin. Here is what ingredients I
will
: be using based on other recipes I have read, but as Dimitri
will note,
: the process is what I feel is important. Please give me your
: experience and tips as to what to avoid, what to look for and
what to
: do or not do. Here is my list of ingredients I was planning on
using.
: Should I omit any or add any? The amounts haven't been set
yet.
: Thank you for you insight.
:
:
: 1 can of pumpkin
: cinnamon
: nutmeg
: ground cloves
: honey
: brown sugar
: condensed milk
: 3 eggs
:
: I didn't read any recipes that used honey but I thought the
flavors
: would go together nicely, any thoughts? I went with condensed
milk
: but I am waffling on using heavy cream instead. How would I
know if I
: made the filling to runny before I bake it?

============

The following is the recipe that I've been using *forever*! You
can either use the canned pumpkin or Frozen squash puree. Either
one is delicious!
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Squash Custard Pie / Pumpkin Pie By: Cyndi Hackett

Unbaked Pie shell
2 Eggs
10 oz pkg. Frozen, Cooked Winter Squash, thawed OR
1 can Pumpkin Pie Filling (unseasoned)
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cinnamon, ground
1/2 tsp. Ginger, ground
1/4 tsp. Cloves, ground
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg, ground
12 oz. Sweetened Condensed Milk

Preheat oven to 425 F.

Beat eggs lightly in a large bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients
in order given. Pour into pie shell.

Bake for 15 minutes at 425 F. Reduce temperature to 350 F. and
bake for 40-50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center
comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

zxcvbob

Vince Poroke wrote:
> I will be making my first semi fresh pumpkin pie. What I mean by semi
> is using unseasoned canned pumpkin. Here is what ingredients I will
> be using based on other recipes I have read, but as Dimitri will note,
> the process is what I feel is important. Please give me your
> experience and tips as to what to avoid, what to look for and what to
> do or not do. Here is my list of ingredients I was planning on using.
> Should I omit any or add any? The amounts haven't been set yet.
> Thank you for you insight.
>

> 1 can of pumpkin
> cinnamon
> nutmeg
> ground cloves
> honey
> brown sugar
> condensed milk
> 3 eggs
>
> I didn't read any recipes that used honey but I thought the flavors
> would go together nicely, any thoughts? I went with condensed milk
> but I am waffling on using heavy cream instead. How would I know if I
> made the filling to runny before I bake it?

Here's the recipe I used last year and it was *wonderful*

Best regards,
Bob

Pumpkin Pie
(from Maida Heatter's _New Book of Great Desserts_)

1 extra deep 9" pie shell
1 3/4 cups light cream
3 eggs, large or extra large
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup light brown sugar
1 pound (2 cups) canned pumpkin
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp finely ground black pepper
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp mace
1/4 tsp nutmeg

Adjust rack one-third up from bottom of oven and preheat to 450.
Have prepared unbaked crust in the freezer. It must be frozen at least 20
or 30 minutes. Scald cream (or 1 C heavy cream and 3/4 C milk) in a small
saucepan. [I used 1 3/4 C half-n-half and 1/3 C powdered milk] Meanwhile,
in large bowl beat the eggs lightly. Beat in the vanilla, sugar, salt,
spices. [I used 1/2 tsp cinnamon in place of nutmeg] Then add pumpkin and
mix well. Gradually stir in the hot cream. Pour filling into frozen crust
and bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees. Turn down oven to 350 and bake
another 30 or 40 minutes, until a small sharp knife inserted in middle of
pie comes out clean. Do not test more than necessary because each cut will
leave a scar which will get bigger as the pie cools. Place on a rack to
cool. Serve while still barely warm or at room temperature.

Dimitri

"Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
om...
> I will be making my first semi fresh pumpkin pie. What I mean by semi
> is using unseasoned canned pumpkin. Here is what ingredients I will
> be using based on other recipes I have read, but as Dimitri will note,
> the process is what I feel is important. Please give me your
> experience and tips as to what to avoid, what to look for and what to
> do or not do. Here is my list of ingredients I was planning on using.
> Should I omit any or add any? The amounts haven't been set yet.
> Thank you for you insight.
>

> 1 can of pumpkin
> cinnamon
> nutmeg
> ground cloves
> honey
> brown sugar
> condensed milk
> 3 eggs
>
> I didn't read any recipes that used honey but I thought the flavors
> would go together nicely, any thoughts? I went with condensed milk
> but I am waffling on using heavy cream instead. How would I know if I
> made the filling to runny before I bake it?

Since this is your first: I might suggest either of these 2 as a starting
point. I suspect condensed milk has more sugar (lactose) than cream.
Notice the relationship with the milk and honey in these 2 recipes.

Have fun,

Dimitri

Honey Pumpkin Pie

2 lg. eggs
1/4 c. honey
1 c. evaporated skim milk
1 c. cooked pumpkin
1 1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. orange juice concentrate

With electric mixer, beat eggs until foamy (1 minute). Add honey, milk,
pumpkin, spice, salt and orange juice. Beat until well blended. Pour
pumpkin mixture into uncooked pie shell. Bake at 375 degrees for 60-65
minutes or until knife inserted off center comes out clean.

# 2

1 (9 inch) pie shell (uncooked)
2 eggs
1 3/4 c. pumpkin
2/3 c. honey
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/8 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. skim milk

Mix all ingredients together. Pour into pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees
for 30 minutes or until knife blade inserted into middle comes out clean.

LIMEYNO1

This is my recipe. It is best if you follow the browning instructions, but
in a pinch you can skip it. I did this year.

Just follow the steps.. It's easy. I use frozen pie shells too. Saves
time and mine isn't any better.

-------------- * Easy Recipe Deluxe Export Format 1.3 * --------------

Title: My Pumpkin Pie
Recipe By:
Category: Pies; Peagram; Family
Main Ingredient:
Cuisine Style:
Yield: 2 Servings
Preparation Time: 0:00
Cooking Time: 0:00

[Amount] [Measure] [Ingredient (or Header)] -- [Preparation]
---------- ------------ ----------------------------------------------
1 1/2 cup Browned, strained pumpkin
2 tbsp All purpose flour
1 cup Brown sugar
2 cup Milk Note: add milk to canned milk to make 3 cups
1 can Carnation 2% canned milk
1 tsp Cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ginger
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
2 Eggs, beaten
*********************** MMMMMCRUST ***********************
1 Pie dough for 2 pies
2 tbsp Sugar
1 tbsp Flour
1 pinch Spice

[Preparation]
* Recipe calls for heavy cream if possible, 2% canned milk could be
sub.

Place the browned pumpkin in a bowl, sprinkle with 2 tbsp of the
flour and brown sugar and stir til thoroughly mixed. Add the eggs,
cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg. Mix well.

Add the milk. Beat together til well mixed.

Line pie plates with dough, well built up around edges.

Mix together the 2 tbsp sugar the remaining tbsp of flour and the
pinch of spice.

Sprinkle over bottom pie crusts, spreading all over with tips of
fingers. This prevents sogginess.

Fill shell 3/4 full.

Place strips of foil around edge and place in a preheated 450 oven.

Bake for 15 minutes and reduce the heat to 325.

Bake 30 minutes longer.

Pie is done when the mixture shakes just in the middle when moved
back and forth. Serve hot or cold.

- - - - - - - - - - - http://www.wensoftware.com - - - - - - - - - - -

"Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
om...
> I will be making my first semi fresh pumpkin pie. What I mean by semi
> is using unseasoned canned pumpkin. Here is what ingredients I will
> be using based on other recipes I have read, but as Dimitri will note,
> the process is what I feel is important. Please give me your
> experience and tips as to what to avoid, what to look for and what to
> do or not do. Here is my list of ingredients I was planning on using.
> Should I omit any or add any? The amounts haven't been set yet.
> Thank you for you insight.
>

> 1 can of pumpkin
> cinnamon
> nutmeg
> ground cloves
> honey
> brown sugar
> condensed milk
> 3 eggs
>
> I didn't read any recipes that used honey but I thought the flavors
> would go together nicely, any thoughts? I went with condensed milk
> but I am waffling on using heavy cream instead. How would I know if I
> made the filling to runny before I bake it?

Melba's Jammin'

In article <lcXnb.59113$e01.163961@attbi_s02>, "Rick & Cyndi"
> wrote:
(snip)
> ============
>
> The following is the recipe that I've been using *forever*! You
> can either use the canned pumpkin or Frozen squash puree. Either
> one is delicious!
> Cyndi
> <Remove a "b" to reply>

> Squash Custard Pie / Pumpkin Pie By: Cyndi Hackett
> Unbaked Pie shell
> 2 Eggs
> 10 oz pkg. Frozen, Cooked Winter Squash, thawed OR
> 1 can Pumpkin Pie Filling (unseasoned)

(rest of ingredients and recipe snipped)
Point of order, Cyndi -- I believe that if it is called Pumpkin Pie
Filling it IS seasoned. Plain canned pumpkin is just that -- plain,
none of the sweet spices have been added to it. So, I think you're
specs should ask for 1 can pumpkin. (You didn't specify a size, either.)
--
-Barb (www.jamlady.eboard.com updated 10-16-03; check the PickleHats tab, too.)
Julia Altshuler

The condensed milk is the sticking point. That's the one with sugar
added. Most recipes call for evaporated milk. That way you add your
own sweetener. You choose white sugar or brown sugar (or maple syrup
or honey). You choose how much.

I've used both cream and evaporated milk. For taste, I can't tell the
difference. I like cream because I normally prefer the fresher product
rather than the canned. Others might choose evaporated milk because of
calories and fat issues.

I normally half the amount of cinnamon and other spices in any pumpkin
pie recipe. I like the spices, but too much masks the taste of pumpkin.

I know of no way of knowing if a recipe will set properly except by
testing it or using a recipe you trust has been tested by others.
Without the amounts of milk and sugar, I can't guess if 3 eggs will be
enough.

The recipe on the can of pumpkin has always worked well for me.

I sometimes don't bother with the crust and make pumpkin custard instead.

--Lia

Vince Poroke wrote:
> I will be making my first semi fresh pumpkin pie. What I mean by semi
> is using unseasoned canned pumpkin. Here is what ingredients I will
> be using based on other recipes I have read, but as Dimitri will note,
> the process is what I feel is important. Please give me your
> experience and tips as to what to avoid, what to look for and what to
> do or not do. Here is my list of ingredients I was planning on using.
> Should I omit any or add any? The amounts haven't been set yet.
> Thank you for you insight.
>

> 1 can of pumpkin
> cinnamon
> nutmeg
> ground cloves
> honey
> brown sugar
> condensed milk
> 3 eggs
>
> I didn't read any recipes that used honey but I thought the flavors
> would go together nicely, any thoughts? I went with condensed milk
> but I am waffling on using heavy cream instead. How would I know if I
> made the filling too runny before I bake it?

Rick & Cyndi

"Melba's Jammin'" & Cyndi"
: :
: > Squash Custard Pie / Pumpkin Pie By: Cyndi Hackett
: > Unbaked Pie shell
: > 2 Eggs
: > 10 oz pkg. Frozen, Cooked Winter Squash, thawed OR
: > 1 can Pumpkin Pie Filling (unseasoned)
: (rest of ingredients and recipe snipped)
: Point of order, Cyndi -- I believe that if it is called Pumpkin
Pie
: Filling it IS seasoned. Plain canned pumpkin is just that --
plain,
: none of the sweet spices have been added to it. So, I think
you're
: specs should ask for 1 can pumpkin. (You didn't specify a
size, either.)
: --
: -Barb
====

You're right - I should know better than to not be more exact...

I should probably have said 1 can of pureed pumpkin (14 - 16 oz -
enough for 1 pie).

Thanks for the reminder... now if I only remember to update my
E-cookbook... otherwise, this will show up many times over...

Cyndi

Vince Poroke

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in message >...
> In article >,
> (Vince Poroke) wrote:
>
> > I will be making my first semi fresh pumpkin pie. What I mean by semi
> > is using unseasoned canned pumpkin. Here is what ingredients I will
> > be using based on other recipes I have read, but as Dimitri will note,
> > the process is what I feel is important. Please give me your
> > experience and tips as to what to avoid, what to look for and what to
> > do or not do. Here is my list of ingredients I was planning on using.
> > Should I omit any or add any? The amounts haven't been set yet.
> > Thank you for you insight.
> >

> > 1 can of pumpkin
> > cinnamon
> > nutmeg
> > ground cloves
> > honey
> > brown sugar
> > condensed milk
> > 3 eggs
> >
> > I didn't read any recipes that used honey but I thought the flavors
> > would go together nicely, any thoughts? I went with condensed milk
> > but I am waffling on using heavy cream instead. How would I know if I
> > made the filling to runny before I bake it?

> Condensed milk, eh? I wouldn't. I use evaporated milk. Condensed has
> sugar added and is quite sweet. My fi'ty cents worth.

Thank you all very much for the insight. I am going to utilize a
little bit from three recipes I think. I will not us condensed:
either evaporated or cream. Thank you again, I will post how they turn
out. One question, what is the black pepper for?

Dave Brower

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Vince Poroke wrote:
> > I will be making my first semi fresh pumpkin pie. What I mean by semi
> > is using unseasoned canned pumpkin. Here is what ingredients I will
> > be using based on other recipes I have read, but as Dimitri will note,
> > the process is what I feel is important. Please give me your
> > experience and tips as to what to avoid, what to look for and what to
> > do or not do. Here is my list of ingredients I was planning on using.
> > Should I omit any or add any? The amounts haven't been set yet.
> > Thank you for you insight.
> >

> > 1 can of pumpkin
> > cinnamon
> > nutmeg
> > ground cloves
> > honey
> > brown sugar
> > condensed milk
> > 3 eggs
> >
> > I didn't read any recipes that used honey but I thought the flavors
> > would go together nicely, any thoughts? I went with condensed milk
> > but I am waffling on using heavy cream instead. How would I know if I
> > made the filling to runny before I bake it?

> Here's the recipe I used last year and it was *wonderful*
>
> Best regards,
> Bob
>

> Pumpkin Pie
> (from Maida Heatter's _New Book of Great Desserts_)
>
> 1 extra deep 9" pie shell
> 1 3/4 cups light cream
> 3 eggs, large or extra large
> 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
> 3/4 cup light brown sugar
> 1 pound (2 cups) canned pumpkin
> 1/2 tsp salt
> 1/4 tsp finely ground black pepper
> 1/2 tsp ginger
> 1/4 tsp mace
> 1/4 tsp nutmeg

What is *mace*? How does it affect the flavor and where else can it be used?

> Adjust rack one-third up from bottom of oven and preheat to 450.
> Have prepared unbaked crust in the freezer. It must be frozen at least 20
> or 30 minutes. Scald cream (or 1 C heavy cream and 3/4 C milk) in a small
> saucepan. [I used 1 3/4 C half-n-half and 1/3 C powdered milk] Meanwhile,
> in large bowl beat the eggs lightly. Beat in the vanilla, sugar, salt,
> spices. [I used 1/2 tsp cinnamon in place of nutmeg] Then add pumpkin and
> mix well. Gradually stir in the hot cream. Pour filling into frozen crust
> and bake for 10 minutes at 450 degrees. Turn down oven to 350 and bake
> another 30 or 40 minutes, until a small sharp knife inserted in middle of
> pie comes out clean. Do not test more than necessary because each cut

will
> leave a scar which will get bigger as the pie cools. Place on a rack to
> cool. Serve while still barely warm or at room temperature.

Nancy Young

Dave Brower wrote:

> What is *mace*? How does it affect the flavor and where else can it be used?

I believe it's the outside covering of nutmeg. Maybe you can find
a description on http://www.penzeys.com .

nancy
Barry Grau

Nancy Young > wrote in message >...
> Dave Brower wrote:
>
> > What is *mace*? How does it affect the flavor and where else can it be used?

> I believe it's the outside covering of nutmeg. Maybe you can find
> a description on http://www.penzeys.com .
>
> nancy

What? Not Gernot Katzer's Spice Pages?

<http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/navig_welcome.html>

-bwg

PENMART01

(Barry Grau) writes:

>Nancy Young wrote:
>> Dave Brower wrote:
>>
>> > What is *mace*? How does it affect the flavor and where else can it be

>used?
>>
>> I believe it's the outside covering of nutmeg. Maybe you can find
>> a description on http://www.penzeys.com .
>>
>> nancy

>What? Not Gernot Katzer's Spice Pages?
>
><http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl/navig_welcome.html>

Mace is the "aril" of the nutmeg... required in ground pumpkin pie spice and
many baked goods... also required in chicken soup; then use "blade mace".

mace [MAYS]
This spice tastes and smells like a pungent version of nutmeg, and for a very
good reason . . . mace is the bright red membrane that covers the nutmeg seed.
After the membrane is removed and dried it becomes a yellow-orange color. It's
sold ground and, less frequently, whole (in which case it's called a "blade").
Mace is used to flavor all manner of foods, sweet to savory.

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995
based on THE FOOD LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Sylvia

If this is your *first* pumpkin pie, I strongly recommend you stick with
the old reliable recipe from Libby's. If you feel adventurous and want
to try a different recipe as well, go ahead, but this one is "insurance"
that you WILL have something edible to serve your guests. Unless you
want to claim you *meant* to serve pumpkin soup for dessert ... says she
who knows.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.04

Title: Libby's Famous Pumpkin Pie
Categories: Pie, Christmas, Tested
Yield: 8 servings

MMMMM-----------------CARNATION EVAPORATED MILK----------------------
2 Eggs
16 oz Pumpkin
3/4 c Sugar
1/2 ts Salt
1 ts Cinnamon
1/2 ts Ginger
1/4 ts Cloves
1 1/2 c Canned milk
1/2 ts Sugar

Preheat oven to 425. Combine filling ingredients in order given; pour
into pie shell. Bake 15 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350. Bake an
additional 45 minutes, or until knife inserted near center comes out
clean. Cool; garnish with whipped topping if desired.

MM courtesy of www.SteigerFamily.com: the old reliable! Tasty and
always works.

MMMMM

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

Rick & Cyndi

"Sylvia" > wrote in message
: If this is your *first* pumpkin pie, I strongly recommend you
stick with
: the old reliable recipe from Libby's. If you feel adventurous
and want
: to try a different recipe as well, go ahead, but this one is
"insurance"
: that you WILL have something edible to serve your guests.
Unless you
: want to claim you *meant* to serve pumpkin soup for dessert ...
says she
: who knows.
:
=========

Why?

Isn't part of the fun of cooking experimenting with recipes
and/or creating your own?

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

Sylvia

> Isn't part of the fun of cooking experimenting with recipes and/or
creating your own?

Depends on whether your primary goal is to entertain others or yourself.
I love to try new recipes, but if I invite others for a meal, I think
I'm somewhat obligated to make sure there is edible food to serve.
So I might (for instance) serve two vegetable dishes, one old reliable
and one new and untried -- if it comes out, great, if not I still have a
vegetable to serve.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com
Cheyenne WY, USDA zone 5a, Sunset zone 1a
Home of the Wyoming Wind Festival, January 1-December 31
Remove "removethis" from address to reply

Wayne Boatwright

Sylvia > wrote in news:3FA5B6C1.80404
@canadaREMOVE-THIS.com:

> > Isn't part of the fun of cooking experimenting with recipes and/or

> creating your own?
>
> Depends on whether your primary goal is to entertain others or yourself.
> I love to try new recipes, but if I invite others for a meal, I think
> I'm somewhat obligated to make sure there is edible food to serve.
> So I might (for instance) serve two vegetable dishes, one old reliable
> and one new and untried -- if it comes out, great, if not I still have a
> vegetable to serve.

Agreed... Invited dinner guests shouldn't have to endure your experiments
in the kitchen. Try such things on yourself or family first.

Wayne

Dave Smith

Vince Poroke wrote:

> I will be making my first semi fresh pumpkin pie. What I mean by semi
> is using unseasoned canned pumpkin. Here is what ingredients I will
> be using based on other recipes I have read, but as Dimitri will note,
> the process is what I feel is important. Please give me your
> experience and tips as to what to avoid, what to look for and what to
> do or not do. Here is my list of ingredients I was planning on using.
> Should I omit any or add any? The amounts haven't been set yet.
> Thank you for you insight.
>
> 1 can of pumpkin
> cinnamon
> nutmeg
> ground cloves
> honey
> brown sugar
> condensed milk
> 3 eggs
>
> I didn't read any recipes that used honey but I thought the flavors
> would go together nicely, any thoughts? I went with condensed milk
> but I am waffling on using heavy cream instead. How would I know if I
> made the filling to runny before I bake it?

I wouldn't worry about it. Your recipe is basically the same at the one I
use and have never had it turn out runny. I use heavy cream instead of
condensed milk because I usually have some on hand. I only use two eggs.

Rick & Cyndi

"Sylvia" > wrote in message
: > Isn't part of the fun of cooking experimenting with recipes
and/or
: creating your own?
:
: Depends on whether your primary goal is to entertain others or
yourself.
: I love to try new recipes, but if I invite others for a meal,
I think
: I'm somewhat obligated to make sure there is edible food to
serve.
: So I might (for instance) serve two vegetable dishes, one old
reliable
: and one new and untried -- if it comes out, great, if not I
still have a
: vegetable to serve.
:
: --
: Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995

===========

As long as you're reasonably sure of proportions... cooking new
recipes should not be a problem. I often (as in 7 or 8 times out
of ten) use new recipes when entertaining. I haven't had a burnt
offering, disaster or failed item yet.

--
Cyndi
<Remove a "b" to reply>

texpat

IMO, if this is the first time you've ever made a pumpkin pie, you should
follow the recipe. Experiment with your next one.