Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Yorkshire pudding

Thinking about Christmas dinner. Some form of rib roast appeals, as
we eat so much less beef than we used to that it has become more of a
treat to have a roast or a steak. To make it more festive and
traditional I'd like to make Yorkshire pudding, which somehow I've
managed never to try before. Are there any particular tips or traps I
need to know about? -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" > wrote in message
> Thinking about Christmas dinner. Some form of rib roast appeals, as
> we eat so much less beef than we used to that it has become more of a
> treat to have a roast or a steak. To make it more festive and
> traditional I'd like to make Yorkshire pudding, which somehow I've
> managed never to try before. Are there any particular tips or traps I
> need to know about? -aem

In my experience there are 2 things.. rest the batter before baking and be
sure the oil(or drippings .. I use oil) is very hot. These occur naturally
in my kitchen as I never think to heat the oil while mixing the batter so it
rests while the oil heats. Turns out fabulously every time.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote on Tue, 2 Dec 2008 12:02:24 -0800 (PST):

> Thinking about Christmas dinner. Some form of rib roast
> appeals, as we eat so much less beef than we used to that it
> has become more of a treat to have a roast or a steak. To
> make it more festive and traditional I'd like to make
> Yorkshire pudding, which somehow I've managed never to try
> before. Are there any particular tips or traps I need to know
> about? -aem

Following my family tradition, look for recipes for popovers and bake
individual ones in a muffin sheet.
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:
> Thinking about Christmas dinner. Some form of rib roast appeals, as
> we eat so much less beef than we used to that it has become more of a
> treat to have a roast or a steak. To make it more festive and
> traditional I'd like to make Yorkshire pudding, which somehow I've
> managed never to try before. Are there any particular tips or traps I
> need to know about? -aem

I think it is all in the way you hold your tongue. I have used recipes
with various ratios, more egg, less egg, milk, milk and water. Some say
to make it ahead of time and let it sit while others go from mixing bowl
into the pan and oven. Some have called for butter in the pan, or oil,
or dripping. Some have been done in a very hot oven while others are
done at lower temperatures. Some say to cook it in a pan and others
suggest large muffin tins.

I once made the most incredible Yorkies I had ever seen. They all rose
beautifully and had a swirl effect on top that almostlooked like they
had come out of a soft serve ice cream machine, but the next time I used
the same recipe and method they were disappointing.

One thing that is essential is to get the pan and the fat in it hot
before pouring in the batter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> aem wrote:
>> Thinking about Christmas dinner. Some form of rib roast appeals, as
>> we eat so much less beef than we used to that it has become more of a
>> treat to have a roast or a steak. To make it more festive and
>> traditional I'd like to make Yorkshire pudding, which somehow I've
>> managed never to try before. Are there any particular tips or traps I
>> need to know about? -aem

> I think it is all in the way you hold your tongue. I have used recipes
> with various ratios, more egg, less egg, milk, milk and water. Some say to
> make it ahead of time and let it sit while others go from mixing bowl into
> the pan and oven. Some have called for butter in the pan, or oil, or
> dripping. Some have been done in a very hot oven while others are done at
> lower temperatures. Some say to cook it in a pan and others suggest large
> muffin tins.

I start at a hot temp and reduce it gradually during the cooking time. I
get pretty consistent results.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> aem wrote:
>> Thinking about Christmas dinner. Some form of rib roast appeals, as
>> we eat so much less beef than we used to that it has become more of a
>> treat to have a roast or a steak. To make it more festive and
>> traditional I'd like to make Yorkshire pudding, which somehow I've
>> managed never to try before. Are there any particular tips or traps I
>> need to know about? -aem

> I think it is all in the way you hold your tongue. I have used recipes
> with various ratios, more egg, less egg, milk, milk and water. Some say to
> make it ahead of time and let it sit while others go from mixing bowl into
> the pan and oven. Some have called for butter in the pan, or oil, or
> dripping. Some have been done in a very hot oven while others are done at
> lower temperatures. Some say to cook it in a pan and others suggest large
> muffin tins.

I start at a hot temp and reduce it gradually during the cooking time. I
get pretty consistent results.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> aem wrote on Tue, 2 Dec 2008 12:02:24 -0800 (PST):
>
>> Thinking about Christmas dinner. Some form of rib roast
>> appeals, as we eat so much less beef than we used to that it
>> has become more of a treat to have a roast or a steak. To
>> make it more festive and traditional I'd like to make
>> Yorkshire pudding, which somehow I've managed never to try
>> before. Are there any particular tips or traps I need to know
>> about? -aem

> Following my family tradition, look for recipes for popovers and bake
> individual ones in a muffin sheet.

I have used muffin tins as well as made one big one. Here is my recipe:

2 eggs
1 tsp salt
1.33 cups of milk
1 cup flour

Beat eggs until light. Add salt and milk. Pour half the liquid over the
flour and stir to smooth paste, then add remaining half, and beat well with
a strong rotary egg beater. Drop batter into sizzling hot, greased muffin
tin or shallow baking pan which has been generously greased. (I put ~ scant
tsp of oil in each muffin cup - I don't measure. Adjust upwards for a
larger pan). The batter should be about .5 inch deep. Place in a hot oven,
450F, and bake for 20 minutes gradually reducing the heat as baking
proceeds. I reduce by 25F every 5 minutes.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Debbie wrote:

>> I think it is all in the way you hold your tongue. I have used recipes
>> with various ratios, more egg, less egg, milk, milk and water. Some
>> say to make it ahead of time and let it sit while others go from
>> mixing bowl into the pan and oven. Some have called for butter in the
>> pan, or oil, or dripping. Some have been done in a very hot oven while
>> others are done at lower temperatures. Some say to cook it in a pan
>> and others suggest large muffin tins.
>>

> I start at a hot temp and reduce it gradually during the cooking time.
> I get pretty consistent results.

One of the problems I have with the high temperature for Yorkies is that
it is much higher than the meat and roasted vegetables. I like to take
the meat out and let it rest for a while, but not as long as it takes
the Yorkies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Debbie wrote:

> In my experience there are 2 things.. rest the batter before baking and
> be sure the oil(or drippings .. I use oil) is very hot. These occur
> naturally in my kitchen as I never think to heat the oil while mixing
> the batter so it rests while the oil heats. Turns out fabulously every
> time.
>
> Debbie

In my mind, they aren't Yorkshire puds if there aren't meat drippings in
there. Plain oil ones are just popovers.

This is the recipe I use-
* Exported from MasterCook *

Yorkshire Pudding

Recipe By :Graham Kerr, in pre heart attack days
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef Breads

2 cups flour
4 eggs
2 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon salt
beef drippings

*raise oven temp. to 400 degrees and place pudding in oven when your
roast beef has about 25 min left to
cook. In this way the joint will have the necessary 20 min to rest
before carving and be ready at the same time
as the pudding.

Sift together flour and salt, slowly mixing in eggs and milk.
Cover and allow to stand for at least one hour in a warm place. Beat well.
Heat drippings from roast beef in the oven. There should be sufficient
to cover an 8 inch round cake tin by 1/4
inch.
When blue haze leaves the surface, pour in batter. Place on top rung
of oven for 45 min. (If I make it in muffin
cups I bake 25 min) Serve immediately.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Debbie wrote:
>
>> In my experience there are 2 things.. rest the batter before baking and
>> be sure the oil(or drippings .. I use oil) is very hot. These occur
>> naturally in my kitchen as I never think to heat the oil while mixing the
>> batter so it rests while the oil heats. Turns out fabulously every time.
>>
>> Debbie

> In my mind, they aren't Yorkshire puds if there aren't meat drippings in
> there. Plain oil ones are just popovers.

I never seem to have enough beef drippings for both yorkies and gravy.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Debbie wrote:

>> In my mind, they aren't Yorkshire puds if there aren't meat drippings
>> in there. Plain oil ones are just popovers.
>>

> I never seem to have enough beef drippings for both yorkies and gravy.
>
> Debbie

my mother taught me that you can ask the butcher for extra fat (suet is
preferred) to "lard" on the roasting meat if worried about drippings.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Debbie wrote:

>> In my mind, they aren't Yorkshire puds if there aren't meat drippings
>> in there. Plain oil ones are just popovers.
>>

> I never seem to have enough beef drippings for both yorkies and gravy.

The gravy should be made with the drippings and you pour off most of the
fat. Then use the fat for the Yorkies. If you don't have enough beef fat
you can add some vegetable oil.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 15:15:34 -0500, "Debbie" >
wrote:
>"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
m...
>> aem wrote:

>>> Thinking about Christmas dinner. Some form of rib roast appeals, as
>>> we eat so much less beef than we used to that it has become more of a
>>> treat to have a roast or a steak. To make it more festive and
>>> traditional I'd like to make Yorkshire pudding, which somehow I've
>>> managed never to try before. Are there any particular tips or traps I
>>> need to know about? -aem

>> I think it is all in the way you hold your tongue. I have used recipes
>> with various ratios, more egg, less egg, milk, milk and water. Some say to
>> make it ahead of time and let it sit while others go from mixing bowl into
>> the pan and oven. Some have called for butter in the pan, or oil, or
>> dripping. Some have been done in a very hot oven while others are done at
>> lower temperatures. Some say to cook it in a pan and others suggest large
>> muffin tins.

>I start at a hot temp and reduce it gradually during the cooking time. I
>get pretty consistent results.

The most important thing has always been to make sure the pan/dish
itself is *hot*... obviously that gets the oil/dripping/lard up to the
right temperature as well but if the pan is cool you'll get
disappointing results every time.

To compensate for the different temperatures I move the meat to the
lowest shelf and put the Yorkshires (individual ones in muffin pans is
easiest) as high as possible.

By the way... Yorkshire Pudding is really nice eaten *cold* spread
with jam or ice-cream!!!

Welshdog
--

News and views... for people like youse!!

Australian Opinion
Now finally at http://australianopinion.com.au
Posted to rec.food.cooking

aem wrote:

> Thinking about Christmas dinner. Some form of rib roast appeals, as
> we eat so much less beef than we used to that it has become more of a
> treat to have a roast or a steak. To make it more festive and
> traditional I'd like to make Yorkshire pudding, which somehow I've
> managed never to try before. Are there any particular tips or traps I
> need to know about? -aem

Let it rest before cooking and make certain the oven (and the fat) is
hot.
Good luck!

Yorkshire pudding (from: The Daily Mail Modern British Cookbook)

170 g/6 oz/about 1 1/2 cups plain (AP) flour
1 tsp salt
300 ml/ 1/2 pint cold milk
150 ml/1/4 pint cold water
3 eggs beaten

Sift flour and salt into a bowl. In another large bowl mix the cold
water and the milk and whisk in the beaten egg. Add to the flour in a
thin stream, whisking to a smooth batter. Leave to stand at room
temperature for 60 minutes.

Have the oven at 230 C/450 F. While the meat is resting cook the
Yorkshire pudding: put 5 tablespoons beef dripping into a metal pan at
least 6.5/2 1/2 inches deep and place in the oven until smoking hot.
Give the batter a final whisk and pour into the fat. Bake for 25--30
minutes, when the pudding will be well risen with a crisp golden crust.
You could also use this batter to make individual popovers in a bun
(muffin) tin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 15:59:49 -0500, Goomba >
wrote:

>In my mind, they aren't Yorkshire puds if there aren't meat drippings in
>there. Plain oil ones are just popovers.

I think that's true, but I ignore it when the recipe calls for a
quarter inch of fat. Just enough beef fat to coat the bottom is
enough for me. More beef fat than that over powers the taste of the
pudding instead of enhancing it, IMO. If I wanted more fat, I'd add
some plain oil.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 15:13:30 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>One thing that is essential is to get the pan and the fat in it hot
>before pouring in the batter.

Yep, that's the "trick"!

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I start at a hot temp and reduce it gradually during the cooking time. I
>get pretty consistent results.

I cook mine on the lowest rung of the oven (like a souffle), do you?

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 15:15:34 -0500, "Debbie" >
> wrote:
>
>>I start at a hot temp and reduce it gradually during the cooking time. I
>>get pretty consistent results.

> I cook mine on the lowest rung of the oven (like a souffle), do you?

Yes, because I take out the roast and put in the pan to heat and the roast
is always on the lowest rung.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 2, 2:02*pm, aem > wrote:
> Thinking about Christmas dinner. *Some form of rib roast appeals, as
> we eat so much less beef than we used to that it has become more of a
> treat to have a roast or a steak. *To make it more festive and
> traditional I'd like to make Yorkshire pudding, which somehow I've
> managed never to try before. *Are there any particular tips or traps I
> need to know about? * * -aem

Absolutely use Martha Stewart's recipe in her prime rib 101 posting -
it's fabulous and never fails.

Just remember: The pan with juices should be VERY hot, and the batter
should be VERY cold.

Yorkshire Pudding Martha Stewart

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
6 large eggs
2 1/2 cups milk

1. Sift together flour and salt. Place in bowl; make a well, and place
eggs in center. Slowly whisk eggs into flour mixture until a paste
forms. Gradually whisk in 1/2 cup milk. Gradually whisk in remaining 2
cups milk. Cover with plastic; chill in the refrigerator at least 4
hours, or overnight.

2. When roast is finished, set oven at 425°. Deglaze pan, and pour 1/4
cup of the reserved pan drippings into roasting pan. Heat pan and
drippings until very hot, about 5 minutes. Remove batter from
refrigerator, and shake or whisk well; quickly pour into hot pan. Cook
until crisp and golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Serve each person a
large, warm, crispy-edged wedge of pudding with prime rib.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 2, 3:23*pm, "Debbie" > wrote:
> "Goomba" > wrote in message
>
> ...> Debbie wrote:
>
> >> In my experience there are 2 things.. rest the batter before baking and
> >> be sure the oil(or drippings .. I use oil) is very hot. *These occur
> >> naturally in my kitchen as I never think to heat the oil while mixing the
> >> batter so it rests while the oil heats. *Turns out fabulously every time.

> >> Debbie

> > In my mind, they aren't Yorkshire puds if there aren't meat drippings in
> > there. Plain oil ones are just popovers.

> I never seem to have enough beef drippings for both yorkies and gravy.
>
> Debbie

When you pick up your rib roast, ask the butcher to put an extra layer
of fat across the top of it. This is especially important if it's a
rolled rib roast.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 2, 10:37*pm, sf > wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Dec 2008 15:59:49 -0500, Goomba >
> wrote:
>
> >In my mind, they aren't Yorkshire puds if there aren't meat drippings in
> >there. Plain oil ones are just popovers.

> I think that's true, but I ignore it when the recipe calls for a
> quarter inch of fat. *Just enough beef fat to coat the bottom is
> enough for me. *More beef fat than that over powers the taste of the
> pudding instead of enhancing it, IMO. *If I wanted more fat, I'd add
> some plain oil.
>
> --
> I never worry about diets. The only carrots that
> interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.
>
> Mae West

I think one of the old-time methods is to make the pudding in a pan
where the roast has dripped its goodies - making a larger single
pudding, which can be cut into squares. I've done it that way, and in
individual popover tins, and like the squares better, in all respects.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message

I think one of the old-time methods is to make the pudding in a pan
where the roast has dripped its goodies - making a larger single
pudding, which can be cut into squares. I've done it that way, and in
individual popover tins, and like the squares better, in all respects.

My mother put the roast on a heavy three-legged wire trivet set into the
pudding pan, so that the juices just dripped into the pudding. My guess is
that when she took the roast out to rest, she stirred the drippings into the
pudding and let 'er rip.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Dec 3, 9:14*am, Nancy2 > wrote:

> Absolutely use Martha Stewart's recipe in her prime rib 101 posting -
> it's fabulous and never fails.
>
> Just remember: *The pan with juices should be VERY hot, and the batter
> should be VERY cold.

Okay, I think I've got it. Thanks to all. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Just remember: The pan with juices should be VERY hot, and the batter
> should be VERY cold.

I disagree. One hallmark of Yorkshire Pudding recipes from any English
cookbook I've read or person making it is to let it sit on the counter
for an hour or so after mixing to develop the batter. I've never heard
of an English cook going out of their way to chill the batter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Yorkshire Pudding Martha Stewart
>
> 2 cups all-purpose flour
> 1 teaspoon salt
> 6 large eggs
> 2 1/2 cups milk
>
> 1. Sift together flour and salt. Place in bowl; make a well, and place
> eggs in center. Slowly whisk eggs into flour mixture until a paste
> forms. Gradually whisk in 1/2 cup milk. Gradually whisk in remaining 2
> cups milk. Cover with plastic; chill in the refrigerator at least 4
> hours, or overnight.
>
> 2. When roast is finished, set oven at 425°. Deglaze pan, and pour 1/4
> cup of the reserved pan drippings into roasting pan. Heat pan and
> drippings until very hot, about 5 minutes. Remove batter from
> refrigerator, and shake or whisk well; quickly pour into hot pan. Cook
> until crisp and golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Serve each person a
> large, warm, crispy-edged wedge of pudding with prime rib.

A bit of garlic flavor, either a clove rubbed on the pan or some garlic
juice or powder sprinkled in the batter makes a vary tasty Yorkshire.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P > wrote in news:6pohtbF90ssgU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Nancy2 wrote:
>
>> Yorkshire Pudding Martha Stewart
>>
>> 2 cups all-purpose flour
>> 1 teaspoon salt
>> 6 large eggs
>> 2 1/2 cups milk
>>
>> 1. Sift together flour and salt. Place in bowl; make a well, and

place
>> eggs in center. Slowly whisk eggs into flour mixture until a paste
>> forms. Gradually whisk in 1/2 cup milk. Gradually whisk in remaining

2
>> cups milk. Cover with plastic; chill in the refrigerator at least 4
>> hours, or overnight.
>>
>> 2. When roast is finished, set oven at 425°. Deglaze pan, and pour

1/4
>> cup of the reserved pan drippings into roasting pan. Heat pan and
>> drippings until very hot, about 5 minutes. Remove batter from
>> refrigerator, and shake or whisk well; quickly pour into hot pan.

Cook
>> until crisp and golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Serve each person a
>> large, warm, crispy-edged wedge of pudding with prime rib.
>>

> A bit of garlic flavor, either a clove rubbed on the pan or some

garlic
> juice or powder sprinkled in the batter makes a vary tasty Yorkshire.
>
> gloria p

I've been cutting the fat off the steaks for a few days now, and
rendering them down and putting the liquid fat aside for just this
purpose (making YP's for Christmas day).

But I'll be using a muffin tin to make individual puddings.

I'll also use the garlic clove tip above. Thanks.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

I was having dinner with my boss and his wife and she said to me, "How

many potatoes would you like Peter?". I said "Ooh, I'll just have one

please". She said "It's OK, you don't have to be polite" "Alright" I

said "I'll just have one then, you stupid cow".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
> Nancy2 wrote:
>
>> Just remember: The pan with juices should be VERY hot, and the batter
>> should be VERY cold.
>>

> I disagree. One hallmark of Yorkshire Pudding recipes from any English
> cookbook I've read or person making it is to let it sit on the counter for
> an hour or so after mixing to develop the batter. I've never heard of an
> English cook going out of their way to chill the batter.

I don't chill mine either. Just let it sit while the oven preheats.

Debbie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba wrote:

> Nancy2 wrote:
>
> > Just remember: The pan with juices should be VERY hot, and the batter
> > should be VERY cold.
> >

> I disagree. One hallmark of Yorkshire Pudding recipes from any English
> cookbook I've read or person making it is to let it sit on the counter
> for an hour or so after mixing to develop the batter. I've never heard
> of an English cook going out of their way to chill the batter.

Quite right. If it's chilled, it probably won't rise as well. Not one of
the English cooks who made Yorkshire puddings for me would have
considered chilling it and no English recipe I've followed calls for
chilling.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 20:16:34 -0500, "Debbie" >
wrote:
>"Goomba" > wrote in message
>> Nancy2 wrote:

>>> Just remember: The pan with juices should be VERY hot, and the batter
>>> should be VERY cold.

>> I disagree. One hallmark of Yorkshire Pudding recipes from any English
>> cookbook I've read or person making it is to let it sit on the counter for
>> an hour or so after mixing to develop the batter. I've never heard of an
>> English cook going out of their way to chill the batter.

>I don't chill mine either. Just let it sit while the oven preheats.

I never chill it... even here in Oz... I don't think it would rise
properly. It *does* need to rest awhile tho.

I'm sure there is a proper chemical reason for resting it but no idea
what that is. Maybe the protein strings become more elastic or
something!

Welshdog
--

News and views... for people like youse!!

Australian Opinion
Now finally at http://australianopinion.com.au
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Welsh Dog wrote:

> I'm sure there is a proper chemical reason for resting it but no idea
> what that is. Maybe the protein strings become more elastic or
> something!

I'd guess it's that the starch in the flour needs some time to absorb liquid
and start swelling up.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Welsh Dog wrote:

> I never chill it... even here in Oz... I don't think it would rise
> properly. It *does* need to rest awhile tho.
>
> I'm sure there is a proper chemical reason for resting it but no idea
> what that is. Maybe the protein strings become more elastic or
> something!

The idea is to let the gluten relax, which I guess means it becomes less
elastic and allows the batter to rise without the gluten holding it together

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 03 Dec 2008 21:29:44 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>Welsh Dog wrote:

>> I never chill it... even here in Oz... I don't think it would rise
>> properly. It *does* need to rest awhile tho.

>> I'm sure there is a proper chemical reason for resting it but no idea
>> what that is. Maybe the protein strings become more elastic or
>> something!

>The idea is to let the gluten relax, which I guess means it becomes less
>elastic and allows the batter to rise without the gluten holding it together

If gluten is a protein I might have been right!

Welshdog
--

News and views... for people like youse!!

Australian Opinion
Now finally at http://australianopinion.com.au
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Debbie" > wrote in message

> "Goomba" > wrote in message
>> Debbie wrote:
>>
>>> In my experience there are 2 things.. rest the batter before baking and
>>> be sure the oil(or drippings .. I use oil) is very hot. These occur
>>> naturally in my kitchen as I never think to heat the oil while mixing
>>> the batter so it rests while the oil heats. Turns out fabulously every
>>> time.
>>>
>>> Debbie

>> In my mind, they aren't Yorkshire puds if there aren't meat drippings in
>> there. Plain oil ones are just popovers.
>>

> I never seem to have enough beef drippings for both yorkies and gravy.
>
> Debbie

Standing rib roast doesn't ever need, nor should it get "gravy". It sounds
almost sacrilegious. All of the drippings, and as much fat as you need
should be heated in the roasting pan and onto that goes the yorkshire
batter. I can't believe one would put gravy on a rare piece of standing rib.

Theron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 09:17:41 -0800 (PST), Nancy2
> wrote:

>I think one of the old-time methods is to make the pudding in a pan
>where the roast has dripped its goodies - making a larger single
>pudding, which can be cut into squares. I've done it that way, and in
>individual popover tins, and like the squares better, in all respects.

I don't do the drip method because I want the drippings for gravy.
However since I skim fat anyway, I do use some *fat* (not the good
stuff) for my Yorkshire pudding. I find it imparts a very beefy
flavor w/o sacrificing anything I'd want to make gravy with.

As far as pans, I've made individual and I've used my largest cast
iron skillet (14 inches, I think) for it. When I use a skillet, I cut
pie shaped pieces and I agree with you... those are *best* puddings.
My family requests Yorkshire pudding whenever we make a rib roast
(usually on special occasions).

Mae West
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 13:40:25 -0500, "Felice" >
wrote:

>"Nancy2" > wrote in message
>
>I think one of the old-time methods is to make the pudding in a pan
>where the roast has dripped its goodies - making a larger single
>pudding, which can be cut into squares. I've done it that way, and in
>individual popover tins, and like the squares better, in all respects.
>
>My mother put the roast on a heavy three-legged wire trivet set into the
>pudding pan, so that the juices just dripped into the pudding. My guess is
>that when she took the roast out to rest, she stirred the drippings into the
>pudding and let 'er rip.

Did you ever have gravy with your meal?

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Theron wrote:
> "Debbie" > wrote in message

>> I never seem to have enough beef drippings for both yorkies and gravy.
>>
>> Debbie

> Standing rib roast doesn't ever need, nor should it get "gravy". It sounds
> almost sacrilegious. All of the drippings, and as much fat as you need
> should be heated in the roasting pan and onto that goes the yorkshire
> batter. I can't believe one would put gravy on a rare piece of standing rib.
>
> Theron

The gravy is to pour over the Yorkshire Pud, of course!

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:

> The gravy is to pour over the Yorkshire Pud, of course!

Yorkshire pudding is a vehicle for good gravy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy wrote:
>>I think one of the old-time methods is to make the pudding in a pan
>>where the roast has dripped its goodies - making a larger single
>>pudding, which can be cut into squares. I've done it that way, and in
>>individual popover tins, and like the squares better, in all respects.

Felice answered:
>>My mother put the roast on a heavy three-legged wire trivet set into the
>>pudding pan, so that the juices just dripped into the pudding. My guess is
>>that when she took the roast out to rest, she stirred the drippings into
>>the
>>pudding and let 'er rip.

SF asked:
>Did you ever have gravy with your meal?

Felice replied:
Funny, but I don't remember! I think I've blanked out on parts of the roast
beef episodes because my mother always cooked it until it was well done and
I think that's a cruel trick to play on a roast.

Felice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Felice wrote:

> Felice replied:
> Funny, but I don't remember! I think I've blanked out on parts of the roast
> beef episodes because my mother always cooked it until it was well done and
> I think that's a cruel trick to play on a roast.

It was the same with my mother's roasts. They were always well done and
I was never much impressed with beef. I later learned that it can be
eaten raw and tastes a heck of a lot better. However, I have to admit
that cooking it longer provided more pan drippings which made excellent
gravy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Felice" > wrote:

> SF asked:
> >Did you ever have gravy with your meal?

> Felice replied:
> Funny, but I don't remember! I think I've blanked out on parts of the roast
> beef episodes because my mother always cooked it until it was well done and
> I think that's a cruel trick to play on a roast.

My aunt and uncle live in a condo for older people. My aunt has
forgotten most of her cooking skills (I think it was a stroke). She
gets along OK, but had to give up driving and quite a bit else. So
traditional Sunday dinners are now down in the restaurant at the condo.
I live 900 miles away, so they aren't a regular for me. We were going
to have roast beef there one night (they generally have two choices for
a main dish, and several side dishes). The server didn't ask how we
wanted the beef, which seemed strange. As the food came, I noticed that
the portions were small. Well, I'm not getting any younger myself, so
fine. When the roast beef and potato came, I saw that there was only
half a potato. Well, OK. The roast beef was more than well done. It
was not oven roasted at all, it was obviously some kind of pot roast.
It was tender and moist. I had nothing to complain about, it just
wasn't what I expected.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

My first Yorkshire pudding Mitch General Cooking 17 25-12-2006 01:45 AM
Yorkshire Pudding International Recipes OnLine Recipes (moderated) 0 30-10-2005 10:30 PM
Yorkshire Pudding Duckie ® Recipes 0 09-10-2005 04:01 PM
REC: Yorkshire pudding Kathy in NZ General Cooking 7 04-10-2005 11:37 AM
Yorkshire Pudding limey General Cooking 1 29-11-2003 04:57 AM