Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Arri's Brandied Soup

I have recently developed an allergy to squash, bummer.

I wanted to make the Pumpkin Brandied Soup Arri London posted the
other day. Not to be deterred I substituted sweet potatoes and yams
for the pumpkin that makes me break out in hives.

I baked a sweet potato and a yam then assembled the ingredients.
http://i37.tinypic.com/25ip6yv.jpg

Cooked the onion until transparent.
http://i33.tinypic.com/2vcjb6h.jpg

I pounced the sweet potato and yam with the wire whisk to break them
up a little.
http://i36.tinypic.com/idvm8x.jpg

After the spices and chicken broth were added and brought to the boil
the sweet potatoes and cream went in.
http://i36.tinypic.com/141pqom.jpg

A quick whiz with the stick blender to break it up a little more.
http://i36.tinypic.com/24mum4g.jpg

Then stir in the brandy
http://i35.tinypic.com/nv8utl.jpg

Ready to eat with just a sprinkling of freshly grated nutmeg.
http://i33.tinypic.com/24gres7.jpg

This was the first time I ever used the Better Than Bouillon soup
base.

I'm sure this would have been a wonderful soup if I would have paid
attention to what I was doing and used a teaspoon instead of a
tablespoon to measure out the soup base.

Bleach...I think I'm breaking out in hives again.

I'll try again. I know it will be wonderful

Brandied Pumpkin Soup (from 'Too Busy to Cook?')

2 1/2 cups cooked pumpkin
1/4 cup (1/2 stick, 2 oz) butter
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1/4 tsp each ginger and nutmeg (or to taste)
3 1/2 cups chicken or veg broth
1 cup half-and-half (or milk)
2 tbs brandy
salt, pepper

Cook onion in butter until transparent in soup pan. Add spices and
broth
and bring to a boil. Stir in pumpkin and half-and-half/milk. Simmer
until soup is heated. Add brandy and salt/pepper. Serve hot with
croutons or cold with sour cream on top.

Bon appetit; that's who published the book!

Arri London on rfc.

Enjoy

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 10/4
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 13 Oct 2008 10:15:06p, koko told us...

> I have recently developed an allergy to squash, bummer.
>
> I wanted to make the Pumpkin Brandied Soup Arri London posted the
> other day. Not to be deterred I substituted sweet potatoes and yams
> for the pumpkin that makes me break out in hives.

Actually, brandied sweet potato soup is not uncommon in certain southern
areas. It's delicious. I've have never made it and don't have a recipe, but
I'm sure Arri's would probably produce something similar to what I've eaten.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Monday, 10(X)/13(XIII)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Columbus Day, Thanksgiving Day (Canada)
Countdown till Veteran's Day
4wks 1hrs 41mins
Even the Holodeck women turn me down:
Posted to rec.food.cooking

koko wrote:

> I have recently developed an allergy to squash, bummer.

Have you tried raquetball instead?

ObFood: Irish Stew for lunch. Leg of lamb chunks, onion, potato, barley,
thyme, bay leaf, pepper, beef and chicken broth. Simmered for 2 hours
then left in the fridge for 2 days to mature.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 11:49:26 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>koko wrote:
>
>> I have recently developed an allergy to squash, bummer.

>Have you tried raquetball instead?

Hardy har har...no ;-)

>ObFood: Irish Stew for lunch. Leg of lamb chunks, onion, potato, barley,
>thyme, bay leaf, pepper, beef and chicken broth. Simmered for 2 hours
>then left in the fridge for 2 days to mature.
>
>-sw

That sounds delicious. I saw the photos on abf it looks great.

koko
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 10/4
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 22:15:06 -0700, koko > wrote:

>I have recently developed an allergy to squash, bummer.

OMG! I've never heard of that. Don't know what I'd do if I had that
allergy, it's my favorite vegetable.... there are so many to choose
from and they are very different so I don't feel like I'm eating the
same vegetable over and over.

Mae West

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 21:53:40 -0700, sf > wrote:

>On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 22:15:06 -0700, koko > wrote:
>
>>I have recently developed an allergy to squash, bummer.

>OMG! I've never heard of that. Don't know what I'd do if I had that
>allergy, it's my favorite vegetable.... there are so many to choose
>from and they are very different so I don't feel like I'm eating the
>same vegetable over and over.

Now I'm not sure what is causing the hives. I've not eaten squash in
two days and I'm still breaking out.

Major bummer.

kokoitchy
There is no love more sincere than the love of food
George Bernard Shaw
www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 10/14
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Oct 2008 20:17:19 -0700, koko > wrote:

>On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 21:53:40 -0700, sf > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 13 Oct 2008 22:15:06 -0700, koko > wrote:
>>
>>>I have recently developed an allergy to squash, bummer.

>>OMG! I've never heard of that. Don't know what I'd do if I had that
>>allergy, it's my favorite vegetable.... there are so many to choose
>>from and they are very different so I don't feel like I'm eating the
>>same vegetable over and over.

>Now I'm not sure what is causing the hives. I've not eaten squash in
>two days and I'm still breaking out.
>
>Major bummer.
>
>kokoitchy

Time to see a professional!

sf > handing koko a tube of cortizone cream.

Mae West

ping: Arri Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 4 11-03-2010 02:09 AM
What Arri cooked Arri London General Cooking 0 14-09-2009 06:42 AM
What Arri cooked Giusi General Cooking 1 14-09-2009 06:40 AM
What Arri cooked Jean B.[_1_] General Cooking 1 12-09-2009 03:25 AM
For Arri Christine Dabney General Cooking 1 19-04-2008 04:50 AM