Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Rescuing your digital timer

I have a PYREX Professional digital timer. It has both a magnet and a
clip on the back so I can clip it on my shirt. It was ideal.

About 6 months ago it died; possibly from being dropped so I went out
and tried to buy another. No longer for sale at my fav stores, so I
bought another timer, but it didn't have a clip and wasn't
ergonomically as friendly. And it died, possibly from a fall. So I
bought a third; repeat the story.

I tried a trick I remembered from my dad, that sometimes it's just a
bad connection to the battery, due to dirty contacts or lack of
contact. These are all "button" batteries with contacts pushing from
the sides as well as a contact at the bottom of the battery well.

Remove the battery and clean both the contact at the bottom of the
battery well and the contact on the side using the eraser at the back
end of a pencil. Be gentle. That will clean off any schmutz.

Now take any thin piece of wire (a large safety pin will work as will
a straight pin) and bend the last 1/8" 90* with a pair of pliers.

Using that bent section as a hook, pull the side contacts very gently
towards the center of the battery well. What we're doing is assuming
is that some of the springiness of the side contacts has been reduced
and is not pressing hard enough against the side of the battery to
make good contact. Don't pull more than 1/8". I suspect you could rip
them from their moorings if you got too enthusiastic.

Give the battery a good wipe all over, replace it and the battery
cover.

All three of the timers sprang into life.

Didn't have to unscrew anything except the battery cover and I used a
dime for that

HTH - Mike

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael Horowitz" > wrote in message
>I have a PYREX Professional digital timer. It has both a magnet and a
> clip on the back so I can clip it on my shirt. It was ideal.
>
> About 6 months ago it died; possibly from being dropped so I went out
> and tried to buy another. No longer for sale at my fav stores, so I
> bought another timer, but it didn't have a clip and wasn't
> ergonomically as friendly. And it died, possibly from a fall. So I
> bought a third; repeat the story.
>
> I tried a trick I remembered from my dad, that sometimes it's just a
> bad connection to the battery, due to dirty contacts or lack of
> contact. These are all "button" batteries with contacts pushing from
> the sides as well as a contact at the bottom of the battery well.
>
> Remove the battery and clean both the contact at the bottom of the
> battery well and the contact on the side using the eraser at the back
> end of a pencil. Be gentle. That will clean off any schmutz.
>
> Now take any thin piece of wire (a large safety pin will work as will
> a straight pin) and bend the last 1/8" 90* with a pair of pliers.
>
> Using that bent section as a hook, pull the side contacts very gently
> towards the center of the battery well. What we're doing is assuming
> is that some of the springiness of the side contacts has been reduced
> and is not pressing hard enough against the side of the battery to
> make good contact. Don't pull more than 1/8". I suspect you could rip
> them from their moorings if you got too enthusiastic.
>
> Give the battery a good wipe all over, replace it and the battery
> cover.
>
> All three of the timers sprang into life.
>
> Didn't have to unscrew anything except the battery cover and I used a
> dime for that
>
> HTH - Mike

Good suggestion. My sister resurrected a couple of my timers that way.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 9, 12:54 pm, Michael Horowitz > wrote:
> I have a PYREX Professional digital timer. It has both a magnet and a
> clip on the back so I can clip it on my shirt. It was ideal.
>
> About 6 months ago it died; possibly from being dropped so I went out
> and tried to buy another. No longer for sale at my fav stores, so I
> bought another timer, but it didn't have a clip and wasn't
> ergonomically as friendly. And it died, possibly from a fall. So I
> bought a third; repeat the story.
>
> I tried a trick I remembered from my dad, that sometimes it's just a
> bad connection to the battery, due to dirty contacts or lack of
> contact. These are all "button" batteries with contacts pushing from
> the sides as well as a contact at the bottom of the battery well.
>
> Remove the battery and clean both the contact at the bottom of the
> battery well and the contact on the side using the eraser at the back
> end of a pencil. Be gentle. That will clean off any schmutz.
>
> Now take any thin piece of wire (a large safety pin will work as will
> a straight pin) and bend the last 1/8" 90* with a pair of pliers.
>
> Using that bent section as a hook, pull the side contacts very gently
> towards the center of the battery well. What we're doing is assuming
> is that some of the springiness of the side contacts has been reduced
> and is not pressing hard enough against the side of the battery to
> make good contact. Don't pull more than 1/8". I suspect you could rip
> them from their moorings if you got too enthusiastic.
>
> Give the battery a good wipe all over, replace it and the battery
> cover.
>
> All three of the timers sprang into life.
>
> Didn't have to unscrew anything except the battery cover and I used a
> dime for that
>
> HTH - Mike

Hey - are you trying to undermine what's left of our economy ?
Buy, baby, buy. : ))

Thanks for such a useful and well-written tip.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I bought a little digital timer from a Pampered Chef party a few years
ago. It has a clip and a magnet. I placed the magnet on my range hood.
I was out of the kitchen for a little while and when I went back to the
stove, found the timer had fallen into a pot of simmering turkey gravy.
It was completely covered in gravy and some had gotten into the face
area. It still works like new. I really like being able to clip to my
pocket and take it outside while I garden.

My former built in stove timer had a buzzer that stayed on until you
shut it off. My new stove timer just dings once, and if you're not in
the room when it goes off, you're out of luck.

Denise

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote

> Good suggestion. My sister resurrected a couple of my timers that way.

I'm still trying to get over the idea of a guy walking around with timer
clipped to his shirt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 12:54:38 -0400, Michael Horowitz wrote:

> I have a PYREX Professional digital timer. It has both a magnet and a
> clip on the back so I can clip it on my shirt. It was ideal.
>
> About 6 months ago it died; possibly from being dropped so I went out
> and tried to buy another. No longer for sale at my fav stores, so I
> bought another timer, but it didn't have a clip and wasn't
> ergonomically as friendly. And it died, possibly from a fall.

some say it was pushed.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote
> >>

> > Good suggestion. My sister resurrected a couple of my timers that way.
> >

> I'm still trying to get over the idea of a guy walking around with timer
> clipped to his shirt.

DUH

Sounds like a handy thing for a busy cook or chef to have...

--
Best
Greg

" I find Greg Morrow lowbrow, witless, and obnoxious. For him to claim that
we are some
kind of comedy team turns my stomach."
- "cybercat" to me on rec.food.cooking

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 12:54:38 -0400, Michael Horowitz wrote:
>
> > I have a PYREX Professional digital timer. It has both a magnet and a
> > clip on the back so I can clip it on my shirt. It was ideal.
> >
> > About 6 months ago it died; possibly from being dropped so I went out
> > and tried to buy another. No longer for sale at my fav stores, so I
> > bought another timer, but it didn't have a clip and wasn't
> > ergonomically as friendly. And it died, possibly from a fall.

> some say it was pushed.

A defenestrated timer...!!!

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 10, 5:40*am, (Denise in NH) wrote:
> I bought a little digital timer from a Pampered Chef party a few years
> ago. *It has a clip and a magnet. *I placed the magnet on my range hood.
> I was out of the kitchen for a little while and when I went back to the
> stove, found the timer had fallen into a pot of simmering turkey gravy.
> It was completely covered in gravy and some had gotten into the face
> area. *It still works like new. I really like being able to clip to my
> pocket and take it outside while I garden. *
>
> My former built in stove timer had a buzzer that stayed on until you
> shut it off. *My new stove timer just dings once, and if you're not in
> the room when it goes off, you're out of luck. * *
>
> Denise

I have the same timer, and I love it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 12:54:38 -0400, Michael Horowitz
> wrote:

>All three of the timers sprang into life.

Glad you got it going!

A few days ago I was using the breadmaker to make pizza dough. It
started making strange noises and it seemed to be stressing. I told
Louise I needed to figure out what was up before the motor burnt out.
The dough turned out fine but I discovered the paddles were almost
froze up. I removed the snap rings, removed and cleaned the shafts.
I ran a blind cycle and I got nothing. So I tore it apart. I'm
amazed how much is in a breadmaker. I pulled the motor plug from the
board and wired it directly to power. Yep! It was toast. Shit
happens I guess.

Glad your rescue turned out better than mine.

Lou

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 08:59:27 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote
>>>

>> Good suggestion. My sister resurrected a couple of my timers that way.
>>

>I'm still trying to get over the idea of a guy walking around with timer
>clipped to his shirt.

Ha!!! wait until you get over 60!!

Here's a story:
Man is telling a friend that lately he's been thinking about the here
after.

His friend is sympathetic and moves the discussion into a religous
direction.

First man replies: Oh, no, that's not what I ment. I walk into a room
and ask myself "what did I come in here after"?