General Cooking (rec.food.cooking) For general food and cooking discussion. Foods of all kinds, food procurement, cooking methods and techniques, eating, etc.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #16 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-10-2008, 05:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 19,964
Default Rescue a dish from too much worcestershire sauce!

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 12:54:21 -0400, Goomba wrote:

blake murphy wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 02:42:02 -0400, Goomba wrote:

sf wrote:

So, how did *you* like it? I can't imagine adding sesame oil to beef,
but I love it with chicken.

Sesame oil is de rigeur in any bulgogi marinade recipe I've made or
seen. It is delicious with beef.


or toasted sesame seeds, sometimes both.

your pal,
blake


Oh, always both in my kitchen!


toasting the seeds is kinda fun.

your pal,
blake

  #17 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-10-2008, 05:47 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 10,965
Default Rescue a dish from too much worcestershire sauce!

blake murphy said...

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 12:54:21 -0400, Goomba wrote:

blake murphy wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 02:42:02 -0400, Goomba wrote:

sf wrote:

So, how did *you* like it? I can't imagine adding sesame oil to

beef,
but I love it with chicken.

Sesame oil is de rigeur in any bulgogi marinade recipe I've made or
seen. It is delicious with beef.

or toasted sesame seeds, sometimes both.

your pal,
blake


Oh, always both in my kitchen!


toasting the seeds is kinda fun.



Probably not fitting so late in the thread but I don't use sesame oil to
cook but under prior r.f.c advisement add a few drops after cooking to toss
for flavor. Sesame seeds play a big part in my baked chicken tenders
coating mix.

Andy
  #18 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-10-2008, 07:00 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,880
Default Rescue a dish from too much worcestershire sauce!

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 16:32:51 GMT, blake murphy
wrote:

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 12:54:21 -0400, Goomba wrote:

blake murphy wrote:
On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 02:42:02 -0400, Goomba wrote:

sf wrote:

So, how did *you* like it? I can't imagine adding sesame oil to beef,
but I love it with chicken.

Sesame oil is de rigeur in any bulgogi marinade recipe I've made or
seen. It is delicious with beef.

or toasted sesame seeds, sometimes both.

your pal,
blake


Oh, always both in my kitchen!


toasting the seeds is kinda fun.


I don't make bulgogi or eat in Korean restaurants for that matter.
I'll find a recipe for the future.

Toasted sesame seeds are also nice on good old American dinner rolls.




--
I never worry about diets. The only carrots that interest me are the number of carats in a diamond.

Mae West
  #19 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 04-10-2008, 09:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,220
Default Rescue a dish from too much worcestershire sauce!

sf wrote:

I don't make bulgogi or eat in Korean restaurants for that matter.
I'll find a recipe for the future.

Toasted sesame seeds are also nice on good old American dinner rolls.



I always marinate longer than the recipe calls for though-

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bulgogi

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef
Korean

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 pounds beef steak -- sliced 1/2" thick
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 green onions -- chopped fine
2 cloves garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Cut meat into serving pieces, score on both sides. Place meat in
shallow pan. Mix remaining ingredients and marinate one hour. Grill.
  #20 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-10-2008, 05:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 19,964
Default Rescue a dish from too much worcestershire sauce!

On Sat, 04 Oct 2008 16:17:56 -0400, Goomba wrote:

sf wrote:

I don't make bulgogi or eat in Korean restaurants for that matter.
I'll find a recipe for the future.

Toasted sesame seeds are also nice on good old American dinner rolls.



I always marinate longer than the recipe calls for though-

* Exported from MasterCook *

Bulgogi

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 4 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef
Korean

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 1/2 pounds beef steak -- sliced 1/2" thick
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 green onions -- chopped fine
2 cloves garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons dry sherry
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Cut meat into serving pieces, score on both sides. Place meat in
shallow pan. Mix remaining ingredients and marinate one hour. Grill.


yep, i would go for two or even four hours.

i do a variation that includes grilled vegetables:

(korean) broiled mixed meats (juhn kol)

about one pound meat boned and cut into thin steaks and then into steaks
the size maybe of half your palm (i usually use a nice strip steak or
something - maybe that's why i haven't cooked this recently) (the book
also suggests pork steaklets or even small hamburger patties)

vegetables (sliced summer squash, stemmed mushrooms, green pepper cut into
flat pieces, white part of scallions, eggplant, or similar - think of
vegetables prepared as for shish kabob)

marinate the meat and vegetables in the following mixture for 2 hours (3-4
is better):

1/2 cup soy sauce
4 tbls sugar
2 tbls oil
1/2 cup chopped scallions (i chop the green part and cook the white part)
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 tsp dried ground chili peppers (i use red pepper flakes)
4 tbls ground toasted sesame seeds (this would be about 2 tbls seeds
toasted and then mortared)
1 tbls flour.

shake it up baby, etc., and a couple hours later broil quickly however you
broil meat. keep an eye on, though, they cook pretty quick. the green
peppers are excellent.

(adapted from 'the complete book of oriental cooking,' by myra waldo)

the hot pepper really adds something to what is basically bulgogi.

your pal,
blake




  #21 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 05-10-2008, 11:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,220
Default Rescue a dish from too much worcestershire sauce!

blake murphy wrote:

marinate the meat and vegetables in the following mixture for 2 hours (3-4
is better):

1/2 cup soy sauce
4 tbls sugar
2 tbls oil
1/2 cup chopped scallions (i chop the green part and cook the white part)
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 tsp dried ground chili peppers (i use red pepper flakes)
4 tbls ground toasted sesame seeds (this would be about 2 tbls seeds
toasted and then mortared)
1 tbls flour.

shake it up baby, etc., and a couple hours later broil quickly however you
broil meat. keep an eye on, though, they cook pretty quick. the green
peppers are excellent.

(adapted from 'the complete book of oriental cooking,' by myra waldo)

the hot pepper really adds something to what is basically bulgogi.


Hmmm... I think you're right. There are many times I think a little heat
would benefit a dish. I've never done veggies in with the beef but it
would be good. I'll have to remember to try it next time.
  #22 (permalink)   Report Post  
Old 06-10-2008, 06:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
external usenet poster
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 19,964
Default Rescue a dish from too much worcestershire sauce!

On Sun, 05 Oct 2008 18:13:16 -0400, Goomba wrote:

blake murphy wrote:

marinate the meat and vegetables in the following mixture for 2 hours (3-4
is better):

1/2 cup soy sauce
4 tbls sugar
2 tbls oil
1/2 cup chopped scallions (i chop the green part and cook the white part)
2 minced garlic cloves
1/2 tsp dried ground chili peppers (i use red pepper flakes)
4 tbls ground toasted sesame seeds (this would be about 2 tbls seeds
toasted and then mortared)
1 tbls flour.

shake it up baby, etc., and a couple hours later broil quickly however you
broil meat. keep an eye on, though, they cook pretty quick. the green
peppers are excellent.

(adapted from 'the complete book of oriental cooking,' by myra waldo)

the hot pepper really adds something to what is basically bulgogi.


Hmmm... I think you're right. There are many times I think a little heat
would benefit a dish. I've never done veggies in with the beef but it
would be good. I'll have to remember to try it next time.


it really is good, and hard to mess up.

your pal,
blake


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worcestershire sauce isw General Cooking 37 11-12-2015 04:37 PM
Origin of Worcestershire Sauce Gunner[_4_] Mexican Cooking 1 09-03-2007 06:22 PM
Worcestershire Sauce chef_rwmiller Recipes (moderated) 0 09-10-2006 07:35 PM
Worcestershire Sauce (4) Collection MOMPEAGRAM Recipes (moderated) 0 06-10-2006 11:24 PM
Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce Gravy Historic 4 04-11-2004 12:37 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 FoodBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Food and drink"

 

Copyright © 2017