Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Tres Leche Cake Questions

I intend to make this three milks cake for the first time after
searching to come up with what appears to be an excellent recipe.
Question one is might it freeze well. I may want to make two at a
time and freeze one for another days' giving. Question two is can a
heavy cream frosting be made that will allow no more than a half-inch
thickness that will stay up the sides as well as over the top and not
just "melt away" into the cake? If so, how?

Thanks for both the knowns and suggerstions, Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 15, 3:16*pm, PickyJaz > wrote:
> I intend to make this three milks cake for the first time after
> searching to come up with what appears to be an excellent recipe.
> Question one is might it freeze well. *I may want to make two at a
> time and freeze one for another days' giving. *Question two is can a
> heavy cream frosting be made that will allow no more than a half-inch
> thickness that will stay up the sides as well as over the top and not
> just "melt away" into the cake? *If so, how?
>
> Thanks for both the knowns and suggerstions, Picky

....suggerstions? Methinks spellcheck is in order. Another thought is
that rather than two cakes with one to freeze, I can simply cut the
9x13-er in two to freeze one, as this is such a rich treat to begin
with....Picks
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PickyJaz wrote:
> I intend to make this three milks cake for the first time after
> searching to come up with what appears to be an excellent recipe.
> Question one is might it freeze well. I may want to make two at a
> time and freeze one for another days' giving.

To my knowledge, it cannot be successfully frozen with the milk mixture
already added.

> Question two is can a
> heavy cream frosting be made that will allow no more than a half-inch
> thickness that will stay up the sides as well as over the top and not
> just "melt away" into the cake? If so, how?

You could bulk it up with gelatin, but even that wont guarantee your
whipped cream frosting will stay put. It will all just melt away
eventually. However, tres leches cake is a sheet cake served from the
pan. It has no sides for frosting to stay on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 15, 4:24*pm, Pennyaline > wrote:
> You could bulk it up with gelatin, but even that wont guarantee your
> whipped cream frosting will stay put. It will all just melt away
> eventually. However, tres leches cake is a sheet cake served from the
> pan. It has no sides for frosting to stay on.

I had thought the same because of the milk thawing out into liauid
rather than staying as already soaked in, so that's a no go. As to
serving from it's pan, I will not be doing that. This will be served
from a sealed glass dish, with left-overs therein refrigerated
overnight (provided my Marines do not gobble it all up with first
serve).
....Picky

Tres Leches Cake Italian Diva Recipes (moderated) 0 19-08-2008 03:06 AM
Tres Leches Cake Duckie ® Recipes 0 24-09-2005 04:46 PM
Tres Leche Cake Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-03-2005 09:15 PM
Tres Leches Cake [email protected] General Cooking 10 02-10-2004 07:27 PM
Tres Leches Cake Patricia Hill Recipes (moderated) 0 16-01-2004 02:43 PM