Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default yellow curry help

I want to make a yellow curry tonight. I have thai yellow curry paste
(Mae Ploy brand), some cauliflower, potato, boneless chicken, and
coconut milk. I might add some pineapple too.

I just can't get my head around the procedure. Do I saute the paste,
add the coconut milk and then the meat and veggies and simmer till it's
all cooked through. Do I cook boil the potatoes separately? Do I cook
the chicken separately?

My brain is not functioning this morning.

-Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:

> I want to make a yellow curry tonight. I have thai yellow curry paste
> (Mae Ploy brand), some cauliflower, potato, boneless chicken, and
> coconut milk. I might add some pineapple too.
>
> I just can't get my head around the procedure. Do I saute the paste,
> add the coconut milk and then the meat and veggies and simmer till
> it's all cooked through. Do I cook boil the potatoes separately? Do I
> cook the chicken separately?
>
> My brain is not functioning this morning.

FWIW, I usually saute the curry paste for 30 seconds or so in some hot
oil. Then I add the potatoes to brown and absorb the curry flavor -
then once the potatoes are browned nicely, I remove them from the
skillet and put them aside. After that I add the chicken to brown that
too, then remove the chicken from the skillet and put it aside... Only
then do I put add the coconut milk to the skillet, turn the heat down
low, let it simmer to reduce a bit - say 10-15 mins maybe - and then
put the potatoes and chicken back to simmer in the coconut milk to
finish cooking (until the chicken is done and the potatoes are tender).
As for the cauliflower, not so sure - haven't tried that particular
combo myself, but I would also brown it slightly, put it aside and only
add shortly before the rest is ready, otherwise it may turn
into 'mush'? Not sure. Just a suggestion.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Google is my Friend (GIMF)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> Tracy wrote:
>
>> I want to make a yellow curry tonight. I have thai yellow curry paste
>> (Mae Ploy brand), some cauliflower, potato, boneless chicken, and
>> coconut milk. I might add some pineapple too.
>>
>> I just can't get my head around the procedure. Do I saute the paste,
>> add the coconut milk and then the meat and veggies and simmer till
>> it's all cooked through. Do I cook boil the potatoes separately? Do I
>> cook the chicken separately?
>>
>> My brain is not functioning this morning.

> FWIW, I usually saute the curry paste for 30 seconds or so in some hot
> oil. Then I add the potatoes to brown and absorb the curry flavor -
> then once the potatoes are browned nicely, I remove them from the
> skillet and put them aside. After that I add the chicken to brown that
> too, then remove the chicken from the skillet and put it aside... Only
> then do I put add the coconut milk to the skillet, turn the heat down
> low, let it simmer to reduce a bit - say 10-15 mins maybe - and then
> put the potatoes and chicken back to simmer in the coconut milk to
> finish cooking (until the chicken is done and the potatoes are tender).
> As for the cauliflower, not so sure - haven't tried that particular
> combo myself, but I would also brown it slightly, put it aside and only
> add shortly before the rest is ready, otherwise it may turn
> into 'mush'? Not sure. Just a suggestion.

This is the method that I was leaning towards. I might just blanch the
cauliflower and toss it in the end.
Thank you.

Tracy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote in message
>I want to make a yellow curry tonight. I have thai yellow curry paste (Mae
>Ploy brand), some cauliflower, potato, boneless chicken, and coconut milk.
>I might add some pineapple too.
>
> I just can't get my head around the procedure. Do I saute the paste, add
> the coconut milk and then the meat and veggies and simmer till it's all
> cooked through. Do I cook boil the potatoes separately? Do I cook the
> chicken separately?
>
> My brain is not functioning this morning.

Here is one method. Doesn't take into account the cauliflower though:
http://www.templeofthai.com/recipes/...cken_curry.php

TammyM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

TammyM wrote:

> "Tracy" > wrote in message
>>I want to make a yellow curry tonight. I have thai yellow curry paste
>>(Mae Ploy brand), some cauliflower, potato, boneless chicken, and
>>coconut milk. I might add some pineapple too.
>>
>> I just can't get my head around the procedure. Do I saute the paste,
>> add
>> the coconut milk and then the meat and veggies and simmer till it's
>> all cooked through. Do I cook boil the potatoes separately? Do I cook
>> the chicken separately?
>>
>> My brain is not functioning this morning.

> Here is one method. Doesn't take into account the cauliflower though:
> http://www.templeofthai.com/recipes/...cken_curry.php
>
> TammyM

And here's another: <see my sig>

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/8558...+chicken+curry

Although Tracy didn't mention any onions..
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Google is my Friend (GIMF)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> TammyM wrote:
>
>> "Tracy" > wrote in message
>>> I want to make a yellow curry tonight. I have thai yellow curry paste
>>> (Mae Ploy brand), some cauliflower, potato, boneless chicken, and
>>> coconut milk. I might add some pineapple too.
>>>
>>> I just can't get my head around the procedure. Do I saute the paste,
>>> add
>>> the coconut milk and then the meat and veggies and simmer till it's
>>> all cooked through. Do I cook boil the potatoes separately? Do I cook
>>> the chicken separately?
>>>
>>> My brain is not functioning this morning.

>> Here is one method. Doesn't take into account the cauliflower though:
>> http://www.templeofthai.com/recipes/...cken_curry.php
>>
>> TammyM

> And here's another: <see my sig>
>
> http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/8558...+chicken+curry
>
> Although Tracy didn't mention any onions..

See? Two totally different techniques! No wonder my brain hurts.

I like the second version as I am more inclined to saute ingredients. I
do have onions. I could add one. We will have to wait and see.
Interesting sauce on the side. I don't have a cucumber - or I'd try it.

GIMF too. I found lots of recipes - but with different techniques - but
I didn't see this one.

-Tracy
(just looking for a little guidance is all....)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tracy wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> TammyM wrote:

>>> Here is one method. Doesn't take into account the cauliflower
>>> though: http://www.templeofthai.com/recipes/...cken_curry.php
>>>
>>> TammyM

>> And here's another: <see my sig>
>>
>> http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/8558...+chicken+curry
>>
>> Although Tracy didn't mention any onions..

> See? Two totally different techniques! No wonder my brain hurts.

<grin> All part of the 'fun of cooking'. (was gonna say 'joy', but
somebody already coined that phrase...)