Gar

Default Apple Cider Doughnuts and Barb's Cream Cheese Coffee Cake

Saturday we visited an apple orchard in northwest Illinois. Along
with many of the other usual treats we tried the cider doughnuts. I
rarely eat sweets but I had two. I don't know if I've ever had them
before but I loved them. Normally that would have taken care of my
sweet tooth for a month or two, but I saw Barb's recipe for the coffee
cake and planned on trying it over the weekend. Sunday I was busy
mulching the leaves so Snot did the baking deed. She's a better baker
than me so it worked out good. The recipe is fabulous. I'm thinking
it's the best coffee cake I've had. I don't like things that are so
sweet they tickle your teeth. It was perfect. Thanks to Barb for
sharing.

After a sugar orgy I googled to find a deep fried cider doughnut
recipe with little success. I found a few for baked ones and one deep
fried one that looked a little boring. I don't want the ones that
call for mini bundt pans. When I got home this morning I googled and
got different results.

Anyone made these or similar. Maybe pointers or critiques or this
recipe?

Gar

* Exported from MasterCook *

APPLE CIDER DOUGHNUTS

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 20 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Breakfast

1 c Apple cider
1 c Sugar
1/4 c Solid vegetable shortening
2 lg Eggs
1/2 c Buttermilk
3 1/2 c All-purpose flour
2 ts Baking powder
1 t Baking soda
1/2 ts Cinnamon
1/2 ts Salt
1/4 ts Nutmeg
Vegetable oil or shortening
-for frying
-----GLAZE-----
2 c Confectioners' sugar
1/4 c Apple cider

1. Boil apple cider in small saucepan until it is
reduced to 1/4 cup, 8 to 10 minutes; cool.

2. Beat sugar with shortening until smooth. Add eggs
and mix well, then add buttermilk and reduced cider.
Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda,
cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in another bowl. Add to
liquid ingredients; mix just enough to combine.

3. Transfer dough to lightly floured board and pat to
1/2-inch thickness. Cut with 2 1/2- to 3-inch doughnut
cutter; reserve doughnut holes and reroll and cut
scraps.

4. Add enough oil or shortening to fill a deep pan 3
inches; heat to 375'F. Fry several doughnuts at a
time, turning once or twice, until browned and cooked
through, about 4 minutes. Remove to paper towels with
slotted spoon.

5. For glaze, mix confectioners' sugar and cider. Dip
doughnuts while warm; serve warm.

Source: Chicago Tribune, January 15, 1997

Joanie

In article >
Gar <> writes:

> After a sugar orgy I googled to find a deep fried cider doughnut
> recipe with little success. I found a few for baked ones and one deep
> fried one that looked a little boring. I don't want the ones that
> call for mini bundt pans. When I got home this morning I googled and
> got different results.
>
> Anyone made these or similar. Maybe pointers or critiques or this
> recipe?

I just had my first cider donut in a couple years last weekend
at a local orchard. Maybe they'd be willing to give you the
recipe: http://www.russellorchardsma.com/bakeryandstore.php
I could have easily eaten a half a dozen, love those things.
I'm surprised so many of the recipes on Google are for baked
donuts, but maybe that would work.

Joanie