Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bread Maker- TIA

I don't know a better group that I could ask.

The last good independent bread bakery on our island closed down, so
I am considering getting a bread maker. Does anyone use a bread
maker? Pros and cons . I am a neophyte at baking and I am hesitant
about yeast; and I have never ever made bread. Does a bread maker
sound like a good idea? I want to make bread for sandwiches
essentially. The store bread here is made in big batches, costs $5 a
loaf,and usually uses HFCS etc.

Okay my question is- I want a good multi grain bread to use for daily
sand wiches (remember we are farmers and that's the lunch we choose).
SO....What bread maker could you recommend?

Thanks very much for your thoughts. I appreciate them a great deal.

with aloha,
beans
roast beans to kona to email
farmers of Pure Kona
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 15:43:33 -1000, wrote:

> I don't know a better group that I could ask.
>
>The last good independent bread bakery on our island closed down, so
>I am considering getting a bread maker. Does anyone use a bread
>maker? Pros and cons . I am a neophyte at baking and I am hesitant
>about yeast; and I have never ever made bread. Does a bread maker
>sound like a good idea? I want to make bread for sandwiches
>essentially. The store bread here is made in big batches, costs $5 a
>loaf,and usually uses HFCS etc.
>
>Okay my question is- I want a good multi grain bread to use for daily
>sand wiches (remember we are farmers and that's the lunch we choose).
>SO....What bread maker could you recommend?
>
>Thanks very much for your thoughts. I appreciate them a great deal.
>
>with aloha,
>beans
>roast beans to kona to email
> farmers of Pure Kona

Cea, if you can find a Zojirushi, you can't go wrong. They are
pricier, but truly wonderful. There are excellent recipe books that
will provide terrific whole grain loaf ideas, too. Beth Hensperger's
comes to mind.

This is coming from someone who bakes almost all her own bread without
benefit of machine these days. Many, many years ago I had a Zoji and
have sort of kept up with their innovations over the years. They are
workhorses. The one we gave my father in law still works and gets used
all the time. It is at least 14 years old.

I'd love to convince you to go the hand made route, but it is not for
everyone, and Lord knows, it isn't as if you've all day to sit around
and watch the dough rise. You have coffee beans to take care of!!!

Even with a bread machine, there is a bit of a learning curve, but I'm
sure you'll do fine. If you have any questions, just ask. It'd be a
pleasure to help.

Boron
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Aug 18, 7:10*pm, Boron Elgar > wrote:

> Cea, if you can find a Zojirushi, you can't go wrong. *They are
> pricier, but truly wonderful. There are excellent recipe books that
> will provide terrific whole grain loaf ideas, too. Beth Hensperger's
> comes to mind. [snip]

That's one approach. Zojirushis seems to be the consensus "best."
But their technology can also be viewed as overkill and unnecessary.
I've not heard of a bread machine that won't make decent bread. One
of these days I'm going to get another machine, after having used a
couple for years. When I decide to do that, I'm going to make a tour
of all the thrift shops in my area and find one there. What matters
more than the machine is what always matters: quality of ingredients
and your attention.

Another thought: if you want squarish, rectangular bread slices for
your sandwiches you may have to look harder for a model that makes
that shape loaf rather than round. In that case, you probably want a
machine with two mixing paddles rather than one.

> > Even with a bread machine, there is a bit of a learning curve, but I'm

> sure you'll do fine. If you have any questions, just ask. It'd be a
> pleasure to help.

A really good starting point for a first-timer is "Bread Machine
Magic," especially the introductory narrative before it gets to any
recipes. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 19:33:14 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

>On Aug 18, 7:10*pm, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>
>> Cea, if you can find a Zojirushi, you can't go wrong. *They are
>> pricier, but truly wonderful. There are excellent recipe books that
>> will provide terrific whole grain loaf ideas, too. Beth Hensperger's
>> comes to mind. [snip]

>That's one approach. Zojirushis seems to be the consensus "best."
>But their technology can also be viewed as overkill and unnecessary.
>I've not heard of a bread machine that won't make decent bread.

Making the bread is only one aspect of the machine, though, and you're
right, most machines do a passable job. But the physical set-up, ease
of use, ease of cleaning, loaf size and shape, dependability, etc.,
are all important factors, too. That is where Zoji shines.

Boron

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 08:31:30 -0400, Boron Elgar
> wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 19:33:14 -0700 (PDT), aem >
>wrote:
>
>>On Aug 18, 7:10*pm, Boron Elgar > wrote:
>>
>>> Cea, if you can find a Zojirushi, you can't go wrong. *They are
>>> pricier, but truly wonderful. There are excellent recipe books that
>>> will provide terrific whole grain loaf ideas, too. Beth Hensperger's
>>> comes to mind. [snip]

>>That's one approach. Zojirushis seems to be the consensus "best."
>>But their technology can also be viewed as overkill and unnecessary.
>>I've not heard of a bread machine that won't make decent bread.

>Making the bread is only one aspect of the machine, though, and you're
>right, most machines do a passable job. But the physical set-up, ease
>of use, ease of cleaning, loaf size and shape, dependability, etc.,
>are all important factors, too. That is where Zoji shines.
>
>Boron

Wow, thank you both for your thoughtful answers!!!! I'll look for a
Zojirushi. I think they make great rice cookers and I have a coffee
pump pot they made that I got at least 10 years ago and it still does
perfectly.

Thanks for the book recommendation too. I think I need that basis
because I've never done it and I want perfection- hahaha.

Okay off to shop and thank you so much!

with aloha,
Cea
roast beans to kona to email
farmers of Pure Kona

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in news:cs8ka4li01ermt989mt7siiphh6558fik6@
4ax.com:

> I don't know a better group that I could ask.
>
> The last good independent bread bakery on our island closed down, so
> I am considering getting a bread maker. Does anyone use a bread
> maker? Pros and cons . I am a neophyte at baking and I am hesitant
> about yeast; and I have never ever made bread. Does a bread maker
> sound like a good idea? I want to make bread for sandwiches
> essentially. The store bread here is made in big batches, costs $5 a
> loaf,and usually uses HFCS etc.
>
> Okay my question is- I want a good multi grain bread to use for daily
> sand wiches (remember we are farmers and that's the lunch we choose).
> SO....What bread maker could you recommend?
>
> Thanks very much for your thoughts. I appreciate them a great deal.
>
> with aloha,
> beans
> roast beans to kona to email
> farmers of Pure Kona

I currently have a Regal but all the bread machines I've owned have
worked fine.

The best book I've found is _The Bread Machine Cookbook - Volume 1_ by
Donna German. Except for a very few recipes that came with the machine I
use her recipes. I have four or five other books, including one of her
other volumes, but they don't get used. I'm not sure if German's book is
still in print - try a search at Amazon to see.

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 08:31:30 -0400, Boron Elgar
> > wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 19:33:14 -0700 (PDT), aem >
>>wrote:

>>>That's one approach. Zojirushis seems to be the consensus "best."
>>>But their technology can also be viewed as overkill and unnecessary.
>>>I've not heard of a bread machine that won't make decent bread.

>>Making the bread is only one aspect of the machine, though, and you're
>>right, most machines do a passable job. But the physical set-up, ease
>>of use, ease of cleaning, loaf size and shape, dependability, etc.,
>>are all important factors, too. That is where Zoji shines.
>>
>>Boron

> Wow, thank you both for your thoughtful answers!!!! I'll look for a
> Zojirushi. I think they make great rice cookers and I have a coffee
> pump pot they made that I got at least 10 years ago and it still does
> perfectly.
>
> Thanks for the book recommendation too. I think I need that basis
> because I've never done it and I want perfection- hahaha.
>
> Okay off to shop and thank you so much!

Think Amazon. $205 and free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-BBCC...9170311&sr=1-2
"Applies to U.S. delivery addresses in the 50 states only, including Alaska
and Hawaii. Geographic shipping restrictions may apply to particular
products; for example, some Tools & Hardware items may not be shipped to
Alaska and Hawaii using FREE Super Saver Shipping. "

TFM®

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 14:26:26 -0400, TFM®
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 08:31:30 -0400, Boron Elgar
>> > wrote:

>>>snipped......

>Think Amazon. $205 and free shipping.
>
>http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-BBCC...9170311&sr=1-2
>"Applies to U.S. delivery addresses in the 50 states only, including Alaska
>and Hawaii. Geographic shipping restrictions may apply to particular
>products; for example, some Tools & Hardware items may not be shipped to
>Alaska and Hawaii using FREE Super Saver Shipping. "
>
>TFM®

Hey thanks for that! Shipping to Hawaii can be so costly. (Think 6
or 10 boxes of Lipton loose tea- maybe $15 and shipping was $45! Or
that is my memory.)

I'll just have to chat with my SO to make sure our budget can handle
it, and will plan on getting it at Amazon. Have to have it delivered
to my gas station as nothing comes up here, but it is a Delivery
Address.

How fun! Now I need to get the book. Will report back on any
issues-hahaha.

Thanks everyone!

with aloha
Cea