Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Eggs, spinach, cheese and what else?

I can't seem to get my mother to eat anything lately. Anything, that is,
aside from eggs, cheese, spinach and toast. Not necessarily in that order
and not necessarily combined. She does like bacon but she's shunning most
other meats.

Okay, I can only make so many cheese and bacon & egg dishes. And spinach
souffles. And creamed spinach. She'll eat a little macaroni & cheese. Oh,
and the toast, ergo grilled cheese sandwiches. I have yet to try grilled
cheese with spinach but don't think I haven't thought of it! She doesn't
want raw spinach (as in a salad). I'm running out of ideas.

She'll eat eggs practially any way (except poached). So when you've baked,
soft-boiled, scrambled, fried, cooked over-easy, over medium over well over
and over again... what's left?

Oh, of course! Quiche! It incorporates everything she'll eat. Eggs.
Cheese. Sometimes bacon! Sometimes spinach! Sometimes even other veggies
like broccoli Oh, and she likes mashed potatoes. By extention, mashed
potato pancakes. And home fries or hash browns... maybe latkes? All this
doesn't really add much to the cooking repetoire.

Dammit, must I cook eggs, cheese, spinach, toast and potatoes for the rest
of her life?! I suppose I shall, but it's getting hard to be creative with
it.

Gonna make a pot of Grandma Mac's potato soup tomorrow. She likes that...
at least she used to. Dad loved it and was happy I managed to re-create his
mother's recipe. Dad's sister loves it, too. If Mom doesn't want to eat it
I guess I'll scramble her some eggs...

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 03:43:12 -0400, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>She'll eat eggs practially any way (except poached). So when you've baked,
>soft-boiled, scrambled, fried, cooked over-easy, over medium over well over
>and over again... what's left?

Frittata. You can add those ingredients that she likes...

>Oh, of course! Quiche! It incorporates everything she'll eat. Eggs.
>Cheese. Sometimes bacon! Sometimes spinach! Sometimes even other veggies
>like broccoli Oh, and she likes mashed potatoes. By extention, mashed
>potato pancakes. And home fries or hash browns... maybe latkes? All this
>doesn't really add much to the cooking repetoire.
>
>Dammit, must I cook eggs, cheese, spinach, toast and potatoes for the rest
>of her life?! I suppose I shall, but it's getting hard to be creative with
>it.

Gosh, I know this must be very frustrating. Do you think she is
depressed? Has she seen a doctor lately?

>Gonna make a pot of Grandma Mac's potato soup tomorrow. She likes that...
>at least she used to. Dad loved it and was happy I managed to re-create his
>mother's recipe. Dad's sister loves it, too. If Mom doesn't want to eat it
>I guess I'll scramble her some eggs...

How about some straticella...with eggs and spinach in it? I know, it
is not incredibly nutritious...but maybe she would eat it.

How about a cheese soup? Or a broccoli soup with cheese? A twice
baked potato, with cheese and either broccoli or spinach? Sprinkled
with bacon bits?

Just some ideas...off the top of my head. Oh, will she eat pasta?
Maybe she would eat some sort of combo with those ingredients in it...

Christine, who just got home from being on call for work... It's
raining babies!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 16 Aug, 08:43, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I can't seem to get my mother to eat anything lately. *Anything, that is,
> aside from eggs, cheese, spinach and toast. *Not necessarily in that order
> and not necessarily combined. *She does like bacon but she's shunning most
> other meats.
>
> Okay, I can only make so many cheese and bacon & egg dishes. *And spinach
> souffles. *And creamed spinach. *She'll eat a little macaroni & cheese. *Oh,
> and the toast, ergo grilled cheese sandwiches. *I have yet to try grilled
> cheese with spinach but don't think I haven't thought of it! *She doesn't
> want raw spinach (as in a salad). *I'm running out of ideas.
>
> She'll eat eggs practially any way (except poached). *So when you've baked,
> soft-boiled, scrambled, fried, cooked over-easy, over medium over well over
> and over again... what's left?
>
> Oh, of course! *Quiche! *It incorporates everything she'll eat. *Eggs.
> Cheese. *Sometimes bacon! *Sometimes spinach! *Sometimes even other veggies
> like broccoli *Oh, and she likes mashed potatoes. *By extention, mashed
> potato pancakes. *And home fries or hash browns... maybe latkes? *All this
> doesn't really add much to the cooking repetoire.
>
> Dammit, must I cook eggs, cheese, spinach, toast and potatoes for the rest
> of her life?! *I suppose I shall, but it's getting hard to be creative with
> it.
>
> Gonna make a pot of Grandma Mac's potato soup tomorrow. *She likes that....
> at least she used to. *Dad loved it and was happy I managed to re-create his
> mother's recipe. *Dad's sister loves it, too. *If Mom doesn't want to eat it
> I guess I'll scramble her some eggs...

Here's a coupla recipes which you can adapt to suit her taste:

Mexican Devilled Eggs

6 hard-cooked eggs, peeled
1 tsp garlic, chopped
1 tbsp fresh cilantro, chopped
1 small serrano or jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
125 ml mayonnaise
1 tsp prepared mustard
1/2 tsp salt
30g Cheddar, grated
chili seasoning

Cut eggs in half crosswise. Carefully remove yolks. Mash yolks and
stir in garlic, cilantro, chilli, mayonnaise, mustard and salt. Spoon
into egg whites, sprinkle with cheese and chili seasoning. Cover and
chill until serving time.

Webo Yena - Aruba

6 eggs
100 mayonnaise
2 tsp mustard
salt and pepper
1 tsp Worcester sauce
green olives, sliced

Place 6 eggs upside-down, smallest tip down, in the fridge for at
least 6 hours to centre the egg yolk.

Boil the eggs until hard boiled. Slice the eggs in half beginning at
the smallest tip. Separate the yolks from the whites. Set the white
halves aside on a serving plate and place the yolks in a bowl. Mash
the yolks, smoothing all lumps while adding the mayonnaise, salt,
pepper, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce to taste. Insert the yolk
mixture in a piping bag, and fill the egg halves. Garnish with the
olives.

Creole Meat and Vegetable Soup - USA

140g bacon, diced
1 red onion, very finely chopped
250g potatoes, peeled and diced
1 red pepper, diced
500g ears of sweetcorn, in 2 cm slices
200g beef mince
700 ml water
70 ml tomato paste
salt and pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp cilantro, chopped

Heat a large saucepan. Add the bacon and fry until crisp and the fat
has melted. Add the mince and fry until browned. Add the onion and red
pepper and fry until the vegetables are soft. Add the water, tomato
paste and cayenne pepper. Season. Bring to the boil, cover, reduce the
heat and simmer over a low heat for 10 minutes. Add the sweetcorn and
cook for 30 minutes more. Check the seasoning. Sprinkle with the
cilantro and serve with crusty bread.

Red Bacon Soup - Finland

140g bacon, cubed
1 onion, very finely chopped
1 l tomato juice
500 ml water
1-2 stock cubes
500g spinach, shredded
200g soup pasta
100g Boursin

Heat a frying pan. Add the pancetta and fry, until crispy and the fat
has melted. Add the onion and fry until soft. Tip the mixture into a
saucepan.

Pour the tomato juice into a saucepan. Add the water, stock cubes and
Chinese leaves. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and cook,
uncovered, for 15 minutes. Add the pasta and cook until the pasta is
tender. Stir in the cheese and serve.

Pekoni-juustokiusaus - Finland

1 kg potatoes, diced
1 onion, very finely chopped
300g bacon
200 ml cream
150g Mozzarella, grated
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
butter

Preheat the oven to 200 C.

Grease a baking dish with butter. Mix together the potatoes and onion.
Spread half of the potato mixture to the bottom of the baking dish.
Sprinkle the potatoes with half the salt and pepper and the garlic.
Top with half of the bacon rashers. Add the rest of the potato
mixture. Top with the remaining salt, pepper and bacon. Pour over the
cream. Sprinkle with the cheese. Bake for 30-40 minutes.

Beid Hamine - Tunisia

eggs
oil
skins from several onions

Place the eggs and onion skins in a very large saucepan. Fill the pan
with water and pour a layer of oil over the surface of the water.
Cover and simmer over the lowest possible heat for at least 6 hours,
preferably overnight.

Chorizo con Papas y Huevos - Mexico

2 baking potatoes, peeled and diced
225g Mexican chorizo
1 onion, chopped
10 eggs, beaten
salt and pepper
1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped
2 spring onions, sliced
parmesan, grated

Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water for 10 minutes. Drain and
reserve.

Heat a large non-stick frying pan. Add the chorizo and fry until
browned. Drain off any excess oil. Add the onion and fry for 2-3
minutes. Add the potatoes and fry until well browned, about 10
minutes.

Add the eggs to the chorizo mixture. Stir with a fork to scramble
until soft, not browned. Stir in the cilantro just before the eggs
set. Garnish with the spring onions and cheese. Serve immediately.

Spanish Baked Eggs

3 tbsp olive oil
1 shallot, very finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red chilli, finely chopped
1 small chorizo, peeled and sliced
10 capers, drained
2 tsp sherry vinegar
400g can chopped tomatoes
2 tsp flat-leaf parsley, chopped
2 large eggs
salt and pepper
fresh chervil sprigs

Preheat the oven to 160 C.

Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the shallot, garlic, chilli
and chorizo. Fry for 2-3 minutes or until the shallot is softened and
the chorizo is just beginning to sizzle. Stir the capers into the pan
with the vinegar and simmer for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and parsley
and bring to the boil, stirring. Simmer until reduced.

Pour the tomato sauce into a small ovenproof dish. Make 2 slight
indentations and break the eggs in gently. Season the eggs and cover
the dish with kitchen foil. Bake for 8-12 minutes. Garnish with the
chervil. Serve immediately with crusty bread.

Stirred Potatoes with Eggs - USA

8 cold boiled potatoes, finely chopped
knob of butter
4 eggs, beaten

Melt the butter in a large frying pan. Add the potatoes and fry,
stirring, until browned. Add the eggs and stir them well through the
potatoes. Serve very hot.

Regards,

Dragonblaze
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
>I can't seem to get my mother to eat anything lately. Anything, that is,
>aside from eggs, cheese, spinach and toast. Not necessarily in that order
>and not necessarily combined. She does like bacon but she's shunning most
>other meats.
>
> Okay, I can only make so many cheese and bacon & egg dishes. And spinach
> souffles. And creamed spinach. She'll eat a little macaroni & cheese.
> Oh, and the toast, ergo grilled cheese sandwiches. I have yet to try
> grilled cheese with spinach but don't think I haven't thought of it! She
> doesn't want raw spinach (as in a salad). I'm running out of ideas.
>
> She'll eat eggs practially any way (except poached). So when you've
> baked, soft-boiled, scrambled, fried, cooked over-easy, over medium over
> well over and over again... what's left?
>
> Oh, of course! Quiche! It incorporates everything she'll eat. Eggs.
> Cheese. Sometimes bacon! Sometimes spinach! Sometimes even other
> veggies like broccoli Oh, and she likes mashed potatoes. By
> extention, mashed potato pancakes. And home fries or hash browns... maybe
> latkes? All this doesn't really add much to the cooking repetoire.
>
> Dammit, must I cook eggs, cheese, spinach, toast and potatoes for the rest
> of her life?! I suppose I shall, but it's getting hard to be creative
> with it.
>
> Gonna make a pot of Grandma Mac's potato soup tomorrow. She likes that...
> at least she used to. Dad loved it and was happy I managed to re-create
> his mother's recipe. Dad's sister loves it, too. If Mom doesn't want to
> eat it I guess I'll scramble her some eggs...

Cook her whatever she wants. If she wants to live on candy and ice cream,
serve it with a big smile. It can do no harm now. And enjoy every day,
because they won't last. If you keep complaining like this you'll need a
therapist to deal with the guilt when she passes on.

BTDT.

Try spanikopita. She'll probably love it.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>I can't seem to get my mother to eat anything lately. Anything, that is,
>>aside from eggs, cheese, spinach and toast. Not necessarily in that order
>>and not necessarily combined. She does like bacon but she's shunning most
>>other meats.
>>
>> Okay, I can only make so many cheese and bacon & egg dishes. And spinach
>> souffles. And creamed spinach. She'll eat a little macaroni & cheese.
>> Oh, and the toast, ergo grilled cheese sandwiches. I have yet to try
>> grilled cheese with spinach but don't think I haven't thought of it! She
>> doesn't want raw spinach (as in a salad). I'm running out of ideas.
>>
>> She'll eat eggs practially any way (except poached). So when you've
>> baked, soft-boiled, scrambled, fried, cooked over-easy, over medium over
>> well over and over again... what's left?
>>
>> Oh, of course! Quiche! It incorporates everything she'll eat. Eggs.
>> Cheese. Sometimes bacon! Sometimes spinach! Sometimes even other
>> veggies like broccoli Oh, and she likes mashed potatoes. By
>> extention, mashed potato pancakes. And home fries or hash browns...
>> maybe latkes? All this doesn't really add much to the cooking repetoire.
>>
>> Dammit, must I cook eggs, cheese, spinach, toast and potatoes for the
>> rest of her life?! I suppose I shall, but it's getting hard to be
>> creative with it.
>>
>> Gonna make a pot of Grandma Mac's potato soup tomorrow. She likes
>> that... at least she used to. Dad loved it and was happy I managed to
>> re-create his mother's recipe. Dad's sister loves it, too. If Mom
>> doesn't want to eat it I guess I'll scramble her some eggs...
>>

> Cook her whatever she wants. If she wants to live on candy and ice cream,
> serve it with a big smile. It can do no harm now. And enjoy every day,
> because they won't last. If you keep complaining like this you'll need a
> therapist to deal with the guilt when she passes on.
>
> BTDT.
>
> Try spanikopita. She'll probably love it.

I recall a Chinese spinach egg drop and wonton soup that was divine. Pretty
green, a bit stringy but oh so good. I'm sure you can Google a recipe or
improvise. I had it at a favorite Cantonese place I used to frequent.

Here is one I found:

http://foodgeeks.com/recipes/recipe/...rop_soup.phtml

Simply add frozen won tons.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown said...

> I can't seem to get my mother to eat anything lately. Anything, that
> is, aside from eggs, cheese, spinach and toast. Not necessarily in that
> order and not necessarily combined. She does like bacon but she's
> shunning most other meats.
>
> Okay, I can only make so many cheese and bacon & egg dishes. And
> spinach souffles. And creamed spinach. She'll eat a little macaroni &
> cheese. Oh, and the toast, ergo grilled cheese sandwiches. I have yet
> to try grilled cheese with spinach but don't think I haven't thought of
> it! She doesn't want raw spinach (as in a salad). I'm running out of
> ideas.
>
> She'll eat eggs practially any way (except poached). So when you've
> baked, soft-boiled, scrambled, fried, cooked over-easy, over medium over
> well over and over again... what's left?
>
> Oh, of course! Quiche! It incorporates everything she'll eat. Eggs.
> Cheese. Sometimes bacon! Sometimes spinach! Sometimes even other
> veggies like broccoli Oh, and she likes mashed potatoes. By
> extention, mashed potato pancakes. And home fries or hash browns...
> maybe latkes? All this doesn't really add much to the cooking
> repetoire.
>
> Dammit, must I cook eggs, cheese, spinach, toast and potatoes for the
> rest of her life?! I suppose I shall, but it's getting hard to be
> creative with it.
>
> Gonna make a pot of Grandma Mac's potato soup tomorrow. She likes
> that... at least she used to. Dad loved it and was happy I managed to
> re-create his mother's recipe. Dad's sister loves it, too. If Mom
> doesn't want to eat it I guess I'll scramble her some eggs...
>
> Jill

Jill,

Does she like artichoke bottoms? Maybe add some bits into the mix? They're
kinda/sorta flavorless when crowded with other flavors.

Anyway... Hi Mom!

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney > wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 03:43:12 -0400, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
> > She'll eat eggs practially any way (except poached). So when
> > you've baked, soft-boiled, scrambled, fried, cooked over-easy, over
> > medium over well over and over again... what's left?

> Frittata. You can add those ingredients that she likes...
> >
> > Oh, of course! Quiche! It incorporates everything she'll eat.
> > Eggs. Cheese. Sometimes bacon! Sometimes spinach! Sometimes even
> > other veggies like broccoli Oh, and she likes mashed potatoes.
> > By extention, mashed potato pancakes. And home fries or hash
> > browns... maybe latkes? All this doesn't really add much to the
> > cooking repetoire.
> >
> > Dammit, must I cook eggs, cheese, spinach, toast and potatoes for
> > the rest of her life?! I suppose I shall, but it's getting hard to
> > be creative with it.

> Gosh, I know this must be very frustrating. Do you think she is
> depressed? Has she seen a doctor lately?

She's depressed, I'm sure of it. Problem is she's also ditching her pills.
So getting a doctor to prescribe anti-depressants won't do any good. (When
I confront her she says she's not ditching them. Gee, why did I find a
veritable mountain of pills she pretended to take in her bedroom?! And one
time she actually put them in her mouth then went to the sink and pretended
to cough and spit them out.) GRRRRRR.

> How about a cheese soup? Or a broccoli soup with cheese? A twice
> baked potato, with cheese and either broccoli or spinach? Sprinkled
> with bacon bits?

I made broccoli-cheese soup two weeks ago and she ate TWO bowls of it! Yay!
But again, I can only do the same thing so many times. I bought some baking
potatoes yesterday with the cheese/bacon/broccoli thought in mind...

> Just some ideas...off the top of my head. Oh, will she eat pasta?
> Maybe she would eat some sort of combo with those ingredients in it...

She likes pasta. Mac & cheese. But she only ate a few bites of it last
time. She likes rice, too. Maybe I should cheese up some rice.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook said...

> Cook her whatever she wants. If she wants to live on candy and ice
> cream, serve it with a big smile. It can do no harm now. And enjoy
> every day, because they won't last. If you keep complaining like this
> you'll need a therapist to deal with the guilt when she passes on.
>
> BTDT.
>
> Try spanikopita. She'll probably love it.
>
> Paul

Paul,

Great point about "whatever!"

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook > wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Okay, I can only make so many cheese and bacon & egg dishes. And
> > spinach souffles. And creamed spinach. She'll eat a little
> > macaroni & cheese. Oh, and the toast, ergo grilled cheese
> > sandwiches. I have yet to try grilled cheese with spinach but
> > don't think I haven't thought of it! She doesn't want raw spinach
> > (as in a salad). I'm running out of ideas. She'll eat eggs practially
> > any way (except poached). So when you've
> > baked, soft-boiled, scrambled, fried, cooked over-easy, over medium
> > over well over and over again... what's left?
> >

> Cook her whatever she wants. If she wants to live on candy and ice
> cream, serve it with a big smile. It can do no harm now. And enjoy
> every day, because they won't last. If you keep complaining like
> this you'll need a therapist to deal with the guilt when she passes
> on.
> BTDT.

I'm sorry you had to deal with guilt. I won't feel guilty, I'm just trying
to make sure she eats nutritous food. She gets all the ice cream she wants
LOL And she actually expresses an interest in living more than another
year.

> Try spanikopita. She'll probably love it.
>
> Paul

Me and phyllo dough don't mix. Gave me another idea, though

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Paul M. Cook > wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>> > Okay, I can only make so many cheese and bacon & egg dishes. And
>> > spinach souffles. And creamed spinach. She'll eat a little
>> > macaroni & cheese. Oh, and the toast, ergo grilled cheese
>> > sandwiches. I have yet to try grilled cheese with spinach but
>> > don't think I haven't thought of it! She doesn't want raw spinach
>> > (as in a salad). I'm running out of ideas. She'll eat eggs practially
>> > any way (except poached). So when you've
>> > baked, soft-boiled, scrambled, fried, cooked over-easy, over medium
>> > over well over and over again... what's left?
>> >

>> Cook her whatever she wants. If she wants to live on candy and ice
>> cream, serve it with a big smile. It can do no harm now. And enjoy
>> every day, because they won't last. If you keep complaining like
>> this you'll need a therapist to deal with the guilt when she passes
>> on.
>> BTDT.
>>

> I'm sorry you had to deal with guilt. I won't feel guilty, I'm just
> trying to make sure she eats nutritous food. She gets all the ice cream
> she wants LOL And she actually expresses an interest in living more than
> another year.

At this point nutrition is not even a consideration. Don't even think of
it. Just give her what she wants even if it is a handful of chocolate
chips. I don't even want to go into the folly of hospice care workers
obsessing over "sodium intake" for a patient that has not a week left to
live. Make every day a pleasure for her and forget any other
considerations. You don't know what awaits you until it is too late to go
back. I could tell you but you'd never believe it. You will never have
another chance, so get it right now - for your sake as well.

>> Try spanikopita. She'll probably love it.
>>
>> Paul

> Me and phyllo dough don't mix. Gave me another idea, though

Try spanikopita pie made with store bought pie shells. If she likes wine,
don't hesitate to give her a nice big glass.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook > wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Paul M. Cook > wrote:
> > > "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> > > . ..
> > >
> > > Cook her whatever she wants. If she wants to live on candy and
> > > ice cream, serve it with a big smile. It can do no harm now. And
> > > enjoy every day, because they won't last. If you keep
> > > complaining like this you'll need a therapist to deal with the
> > > guilt when she passes on.
> > > BTDT.
> > >

> > I'm sorry you had to deal with guilt. I won't feel guilty, I'm just
> > trying to make sure she eats nutritous food. She gets all the ice
> > cream she wants LOL And she actually expresses an interest in
> > living more than another year.

> At this point nutrition is not even a consideration. Don't even
> think of it. Just give her what she wants even if it is a handful of
> chocolate chips. I don't even want to go into the folly of hospice
> care workers obsessing over "sodium intake" for a patient that has
> not a week left to live.

Sorry you had to deal with that but I'm not concerned with her sodium intake
or her cholesterol, either. Still, I'd like her to eat something that isn't
just junk. I dealt with that with my father earlier this year but he was
suffering from severe dementia; she's not.

She likes food, she's simply gotten rather picky about it so I'm trying to
cater to her. If it's eggs and spinach, it's eggs and spinach. And a big
bowl of ice cream with either chocolate or butterscotch topping, too

> Make every day a pleasure for her and
> forget any other considerations. You don't know what awaits you
> until it is too late to go back. I could tell you but you'd never
> believe it. You will never have another chance, so get it right now
> - for your sake as well.

Trust me, I'm treasuring the time with her. Wish I hadn't had to spend part
of it in the hospital. I worried about her the entire time.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I would find a different creative outlet and keep making her the
comfort foods she will eat and is familiar with. Many elderly lose
most of their sense of taste and eat to live not enjoy eating for it's
own sake.

If her not taking her meds really is making her uncomfortable ask the
doc to change the meds to quick disolving kind or crush them and put
them in a spoon of icecream.

If variety is not a priority for her relax and cook ceatively for
yourself.

Peace, Pam
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
> >I can't seem to get my mother to eat anything lately. Anything, that is,
> >aside from eggs, cheese, spinach and toast. Not necessarily in that order
> >and not necessarily combined. She does like bacon but she's shunning most
> >other meats.
> >
> > Okay, I can only make so many cheese and bacon & egg dishes. And spinach
> > souffles. And creamed spinach. She'll eat a little macaroni & cheese.
> > Oh, and the toast, ergo grilled cheese sandwiches. I have yet to try
> > grilled cheese with spinach but don't think I haven't thought of it! She
> > doesn't want raw spinach (as in a salad). I'm running out of ideas.
> >
> > She'll eat eggs practially any way (except poached). So when you've
> > baked, soft-boiled, scrambled, fried, cooked over-easy, over medium over
> > well over and over again... what's left?
> >
> > Oh, of course! Quiche! It incorporates everything she'll eat. Eggs.
> > Cheese. Sometimes bacon! Sometimes spinach! Sometimes even other
> > veggies like broccoli Oh, and she likes mashed potatoes. By
> > extention, mashed potato pancakes. And home fries or hash browns... maybe
> > latkes? All this doesn't really add much to the cooking repetoire.
> >
> > Dammit, must I cook eggs, cheese, spinach, toast and potatoes for the rest
> > of her life?! I suppose I shall, but it's getting hard to be creative
> > with it.
> >
> > Gonna make a pot of Grandma Mac's potato soup tomorrow. She likes that...
> > at least she used to. Dad loved it and was happy I managed to re-create
> > his mother's recipe. Dad's sister loves it, too. If Mom doesn't want to
> > eat it I guess I'll scramble her some eggs...
> >

> Cook her whatever she wants. If she wants to live on candy and ice cream,
> serve it with a big smile. It can do no harm now. And enjoy every day,
> because they won't last. If you keep complaining like this you'll need a
> therapist to deal with the guilt when she passes on.

I agree. The best way to deal with this problem is not to worry about it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hi Jill -

Delurking here to share one of our favourite current recipes with you
which might possibly appeal to your mum?

Spinach, bacon and feta cheese pasta

4 rashers back bacon, trimmed and cut into small pieces
4 oz feta cheese (if you can't get this, then any other crumbly white
cheese will do, just something that will melt in at the end)
4 oz mushrooms, halved and sliced (you can leave these out if you want)
About 12 pitted black olives, halved (you can leave these out too if you
prefer)
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1-2 tablespoons olive oil for frying
7 oz fresh spinach, well washed
6 oz pasta shapes of your choice (we use wholewheat penne)
Salt & pepper

Fry the onion and bacon in the olive oil over a medium-low heat until
beginning to brown.

Add mushrooms and olives if used, and a little salt and pepper to taste.

Meanwhile add boiling water to the pasta, bring back to the boil, then
simmer until almost cooked.

About 1 minute before pasta is done, combine the spinach with the
onion/bacon mixture, cover and allow leaves to wilt (only takes about a
minute).

Drain pasta and combine with the spinach mixture, and add feta or other
cheese. Mix everything together, allow cheese to melt for a minute or
so, and serve!

HTH
Deb.

--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Aug 2008 05:00:37 -0700 (PDT), pamjd wrote:

> I would find a different creative outlet and keep making her the
> comfort foods she will eat and is familiar with. Many elderly lose
> most of their sense of taste and eat to live not enjoy eating for it's
> own sake.
>
> If her not taking her meds really is making her uncomfortable ask the
> doc to change the meds to quick disolving kind or crush them and put
> them in a spoon of icecream.
>
> If variety is not a priority for her relax and cook ceatively for
> yourself.
>
> Peace, Pam

i agree with you and paul. if mom wants scrambled eggs and ketchup every
day, let her have it. it's a little late to make her into a gourmet now.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I can't seem to get my mother to eat anything lately. Anything, that
> is, aside from eggs, cheese, spinach and toast. Not necessarily in
> that order and not necessarily combined. She does like bacon but
> she's shunning most other meats.
>
> Okay, I can only make so many cheese and bacon & egg dishes. And
> spinach souffles. And creamed spinach. She'll eat a little macaroni
> & cheese. Oh, and the toast, ergo grilled cheese sandwiches. I have
> yet to try grilled cheese with spinach but don't think I haven't
> thought of it! She doesn't want raw spinach (as in a salad). I'm
> running out of ideas.
> She'll eat eggs practially any way (except poached). So when you've
> baked, soft-boiled, scrambled, fried, cooked over-easy, over medium
> over well over and over again... what's left?
>
> Oh, of course! Quiche! It incorporates everything she'll eat. Eggs.
> Cheese. Sometimes bacon! Sometimes spinach! Sometimes even other
> veggies like broccoli Oh, and she likes mashed potatoes. By
> extention, mashed potato pancakes. And home fries or hash browns...
> maybe latkes? All this doesn't really add much to the cooking
> repetoire.
> Dammit, must I cook eggs, cheese, spinach, toast and potatoes for the
> rest of her life?! I suppose I shall, but it's getting hard to be
> creative with it.
>
> Gonna make a pot of Grandma Mac's potato soup tomorrow. She likes
> that... at least she used to. Dad loved it and was happy I managed
> to re-create his mother's recipe. Dad's sister loves it, too. If
> Mom doesn't want to eat it I guess I'll scramble her some eggs...
>
> Jill

Have you thought of a spinach lasagna? It's got cheese, spinach, pasta....
At least it can tickle your culinary skills a little more than toast &
potatoes.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Debbie Wilson wrote:
> Hi Jill -
>
> Delurking here to share one of our favourite current recipes with you
> which might possibly appeal to your mum?
>
> Spinach, bacon and feta cheese pasta
>
> 4 rashers back bacon, trimmed and cut into small pieces
> 4 oz feta cheese (if you can't get this, then any other crumbly white
> cheese will do, just something that will melt in at the end)
> 4 oz mushrooms, halved and sliced (you can leave these out if you
> want) About 12 pitted black olives, halved (you can leave these out
> too if you prefer)
> 1 medium onion, finely chopped
> 1-2 tablespoons olive oil for frying
> 7 oz fresh spinach, well washed
> 6 oz pasta shapes of your choice (we use wholewheat penne)
> Salt & pepper
>
> Fry the onion and bacon in the olive oil over a medium-low heat until
> beginning to brown.
>
> Add mushrooms and olives if used, and a little salt and pepper to
> taste.
>
> Meanwhile add boiling water to the pasta, bring back to the boil, then
> simmer until almost cooked.
>
> About 1 minute before pasta is done, combine the spinach with the
> onion/bacon mixture, cover and allow leaves to wilt (only takes about
> a minute).
>
> Drain pasta and combine with the spinach mixture, and add feta or
> other cheese. Mix everything together, allow cheese to melt for a
> minute or so, and serve!
>
> HTH
> Deb.

Glad you delurked, Deb, that sounds wonderful. Thanks!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..
> Paul M. Cook > wrote:
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> . ..

>> > I'm sorry you had to deal with guilt. I won't feel guilty, I'm just
>> > trying to make sure she eats nutritous food. She gets all the ice
>> > cream she wants LOL And she actually expresses an interest in
>> > living more than another year.

>> At this point nutrition is not even a consideration. Don't even
>> think of it. Just give her what she wants even if it is a handful of
>> chocolate chips. I don't even want to go into the folly of hospice
>> care workers obsessing over "sodium intake" for a patient that has
>> not a week left to live.

> Sorry you had to deal with that but I'm not concerned with her sodium
> intake or her cholesterol, either. Still, I'd like her to eat something
> that isn't just junk. I dealt with that with my father earlier this year
> but he was suffering from severe dementia; she's not.

This is not about you, OK? You don't matter because you are not dying. You
inflicting your needs or wants at this time is wrong. This is not about you
or what you want because that is nothing more than selfish control . Just
let it go. This is all I am saying, if you don't get it you don't get it.
There is simply no way what she eats makes any difference at this point.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hi Jill,

Since I know you have access to a Publix, have you tried their little
spinach quiches in the deli refrigerated cases? They are two servings,
and pretty good. It might be something easy for you. Also, the Nancy
mini-quiches are good in the frozen section.

Actually, as long as she maybe gets some fruit, her diet sounds pretty
nutritous to me......although boring for you.

My husband's aunt, who lived to be ninety-six would only eat peanut
butter sandwiches and drink red wine during her last years. I know a
lot of older people lose their sense of taste, have difficulty chewing
and swallowing, etc. That can affect what they want also.

Good luck....it sounds like she's in good hands.

Libby

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 16 Aug 2008 12:43:12a, jmcquown told us...

> I can't seem to get my mother to eat anything lately. Anything, that
> is, aside from eggs, cheese, spinach and toast. Not necessarily in that
> order and not necessarily combined. She does like bacon but she's
> shunning most other meats.
>
> Okay, I can only make so many cheese and bacon & egg dishes. And
> spinach souffles. And creamed spinach. She'll eat a little macaroni &
> cheese. Oh, and the toast, ergo grilled cheese sandwiches. I have yet
> to try grilled cheese with spinach but don't think I haven't thought of
> it! She doesn't want raw spinach (as in a salad). I'm running out of
> ideas.
>
> She'll eat eggs practially any way (except poached). So when you've
> baked, soft-boiled, scrambled, fried, cooked over-easy, over medium over
> well over and over again... what's left?
>
> Oh, of course! Quiche! It incorporates everything she'll eat. Eggs.
> Cheese. Sometimes bacon! Sometimes spinach! Sometimes even other
> veggies like broccoli Oh, and she likes mashed potatoes. By
> extention, mashed potato pancakes. And home fries or hash browns...
> maybe latkes? All this doesn't really add much to the cooking
> repetoire.
>
> Dammit, must I cook eggs, cheese, spinach, toast and potatoes for the
> rest of her life?! I suppose I shall, but it's getting hard to be
> creative with it.
>
> Gonna make a pot of Grandma Mac's potato soup tomorrow. She likes
> that... at least she used to. Dad loved it and was happy I managed to
> re-create his mother's recipe. Dad's sister loves it, too. If Mom
> doesn't want to eat it I guess I'll scramble her some eggs...
>
> Jill

Jill, I take it that your mother isn't dying, and that you find the food
she prefers boring, but if she only wants to eat certain things, I'd go
with that plan most of the time. It's when someone simply stops eating
that's a problem.

Eggs, spinach, and cheese are all nutritious. Large quantities and varied
types of meats are not essential. She likes bacon, and while it may not be
the healthiest meat on the planet, I would include it as much as you can.

Plug in all the food ingredients your mother likes into a search and see
what comes up. It might provide some more interesting fare.

My mother was a great cook, but a somewhat limited eater herself. She
never weighed more than 105 pounds, often somewhat less, yet she lived to
the age of 84. I found in her later years that she "snacked" at favorite
foods more than sitting down to a full dinner. I think it overwhelmed her.

The best you can do is provide the options, and ask probative food
questions short of making her upset. Then take it from there. You don't
have to eat what she eats, although it does impose the burden of cooking
differently for two people.

I don't have any particular food suggestions because I don't know your
mother, but I think you can take it from there and gradually work around
some of the food issues.

Best of luck!

Date: Saturday, 08(VIII)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)

Countdown till Labor Day
2wks 1dys 16hrs 14mins
If they give you lined paper, write
the other way.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Jill-

This is a recipe I have bookmarked, but I haven't tried making it:
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/s...o-butter-sauce

Good luck,
pat

jmcquown wrote:
> I can't seem to get my mother to eat anything lately. Anything, that is,
> aside from eggs, cheese, spinach and toast. Not necessarily in that order
> and not necessarily combined. She does like bacon but she's shunning most
> other meats.
>
> Okay, I can only make so many cheese and bacon & egg dishes. And spinach
> souffles. And creamed spinach. She'll eat a little macaroni & cheese. Oh,
> and the toast, ergo grilled cheese sandwiches. I have yet to try grilled
> cheese with spinach but don't think I haven't thought of it! She doesn't
> want raw spinach (as in a salad). I'm running out of ideas.
>
> She'll eat eggs practially any way (except poached). So when you've baked,
> soft-boiled, scrambled, fried, cooked over-easy, over medium over well over
> and over again... what's left?
>
> Oh, of course! Quiche! It incorporates everything she'll eat. Eggs.
> Cheese. Sometimes bacon! Sometimes spinach! Sometimes even other veggies
> like broccoli Oh, and she likes mashed potatoes. By extention, mashed
> potato pancakes. And home fries or hash browns... maybe latkes? All this
> doesn't really add much to the cooking repetoire.
>
> Dammit, must I cook eggs, cheese, spinach, toast and potatoes for the rest
> of her life?! I suppose I shall, but it's getting hard to be creative with
> it.
>
> Gonna make a pot of Grandma Mac's potato soup tomorrow. She likes that...
> at least she used to. Dad loved it and was happy I managed to re-create his
> mother's recipe. Dad's sister loves it, too. If Mom doesn't want to eat it
> I guess I'll scramble her some eggs...
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini > wrote:

>> Glad you delurked, Deb, that sounds wonderful. Thanks!

Thanks, Kili! It's quick and easy and very savoury :-)

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown > wrote:

> I can't seem to get my mother to eat anything lately. Anything, that is,
> aside from eggs, cheese, spinach and toast.

Here's another idea - pasta with a carbonara sauce - basic ingredients
eggs, cheese and bacon :-)

Deb.
--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> I can't seem to get my mother to eat anything lately. Anything, that is,
> aside from eggs, cheese, spinach and toast. Not necessarily in that order
> and not necessarily combined. She does like bacon but she's shunning most
> other meats.
>
> Okay, I can only make so many cheese and bacon & egg dishes. And spinach
> souffles. And creamed spinach. She'll eat a little macaroni & cheese. Oh,
> and the toast, ergo grilled cheese sandwiches. I have yet to try grilled
> cheese with spinach but don't think I haven't thought of it! She doesn't
> want raw spinach (as in a salad). I'm running out of ideas.
>
> She'll eat eggs practially any way (except poached). So when you've baked,
> soft-boiled, scrambled, fried, cooked over-easy, over medium over well over
> and over again... what's left?
>
> Oh, of course! Quiche! It incorporates everything she'll eat. Eggs.
> Cheese. Sometimes bacon! Sometimes spinach! Sometimes even other veggies
> like broccoli Oh, and she likes mashed potatoes. By extention, mashed
> potato pancakes. And home fries or hash browns... maybe latkes? All this
> doesn't really add much to the cooking repetoire.
>
> Dammit, must I cook eggs, cheese, spinach, toast and potatoes for the rest
> of her life?! I suppose I shall, but it's getting hard to be creative with
> it.
>
> Gonna make a pot of Grandma Mac's potato soup tomorrow. She likes that...
> at least she used to. Dad loved it and was happy I managed to re-create his
> mother's recipe. Dad's sister loves it, too. If Mom doesn't want to eat it
> I guess I'll scramble her some eggs...
>
> Jill

Jill, I have a thought. Stop making yourself miserable about this,
Kiddo. Is she happy with the same four or five foods? If she is, do
that for her.

Can you do some cooking for yourself that will satisfy your desire to be
creative?

Have you made my spinach crepe torte? The recipe is on the rfc site:
http://www.recfoodcooking.org/cookin...ml?id=2&page=2
Spinach, creamy stuff with cheese. If you don't want to mess with the
torte, fill and roll the crepes and lay them in a dish -- you can mess
with it.

Good luck.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back, and white bread
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I can't seem to get my mother to eat anything lately. Anything, that
> is, aside from eggs, cheese, spinach and toast. Not necessarily in
> that order and not necessarily combined. She does like bacon but
> she's shunning most other meats.
>
> Okay, I can only make so many cheese and bacon & egg dishes. And
> spinach souffles. And creamed spinach. She'll eat a little macaroni
> & cheese. Oh, and the toast, ergo grilled cheese sandwiches. I have
> yet to try grilled cheese with spinach but don't think I haven't
> thought of it! She doesn't want raw spinach (as in a salad). I'm
> running out of ideas.
> She'll eat eggs practially any way (except poached). So when you've
> baked, soft-boiled, scrambled, fried, cooked over-easy, over medium
> over well over and over again... what's left?
>
> Oh, of course! Quiche! It incorporates everything she'll eat. Eggs.
> Cheese. Sometimes bacon! Sometimes spinach! Sometimes even other
> veggies like broccoli Oh, and she likes mashed potatoes. By
> extention, mashed potato pancakes. And home fries or hash browns...
> maybe latkes? All this doesn't really add much to the cooking
> repetoire.
> Dammit, must I cook eggs, cheese, spinach, toast and potatoes for the
> rest of her life?! I suppose I shall, but it's getting hard to be
> creative with it.
>
> Gonna make a pot of Grandma Mac's potato soup tomorrow. She likes
> that... at least she used to. Dad loved it and was happy I managed
> to re-create his mother's recipe. Dad's sister loves it, too. If
> Mom doesn't want to eat it I guess I'll scramble her some eggs...
>
> Jill

Jill! I just thought of something! Would your mom possibly try fondue?
Like a swiss cheese fondue? You could dip bread & veggies into the melted
cheese. You could eat it and she could eat it.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Paul M. Cook" > wrote:

> Cook her whatever she wants. If she wants to live on candy and ice cream,
> serve it with a big smile. It can do no harm now. And enjoy every day,
> because they won't last.
> BTDT.
>
> Try spanikopita. She'll probably love it.
>
> Paul

Well said, Sir!

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
Fair Fare will have an addition by nightfall today.
"rec.food.cooking Preserved Fruit Administrator
'Always in a jam. Never in a stew.'" - Evergene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Debbie Wilson wrote:
> jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> I can't seem to get my mother to eat anything lately. Anything,
>> that is, aside from eggs, cheese, spinach and toast.

> Here's another idea - pasta with a carbonara sauce - basic ingredients
> eggs, cheese and bacon :-)
>
> Deb.

Another great suggestion!

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> I'm sorry you had to deal with guilt. I won't feel guilty, I'm just trying
> to make sure she eats nutritous food. She gets all the ice cream she wants
> LOL And she actually expresses an interest in living more than another
> year.

If that's the case, can she be coaxed to eat more so she WILL live more
than another year? Does she take a good multi-vitamin daily?

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller, blahblahblog is back and
Fair Fare will have an addition by nightfall today.
"rec.food.cooking Preserved Fruit Administrator
'Always in a jam. Never in a stew.'" - Evergene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I can't seem to get my mother to eat anything lately. Anything, that
> is, aside from eggs, cheese, spinach and toast. Not necessarily in that
> order and not necessarily combined. She does like bacon but she's
> shunning most other meats.
>
> Okay, I can only make so many cheese and bacon & egg dishes. And
> spinach souffles. And creamed spinach. She'll eat a little macaroni &
> cheese. Oh, and the toast, ergo grilled cheese sandwiches. I have yet
> to try grilled cheese with spinach but don't think I haven't thought of
> it! She doesn't want raw spinach (as in a salad). I'm running out of
> ideas.

Will she eat spaghetti with homemade meatballs?
Grilled cheese with sliced tomato and bacon?
Roast or rotisserie chicken?
Breakfast sausage with pancakes? French toast?
Applesauce?

Are her teeth bothering her? It sounds as though she doesn't want
anything that requires much chewing.

It's tough to get old. She sounds really depressed. Has she been to
her doctor recently?

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> Paul M. Cook > wrote:

>> Try spanikopita. She'll probably love it.
>>
>> Paul

> Me and phyllo dough don't mix. Gave me another idea, though
>
> Jill

Buy a tube of crescent rolls and roll them out, cut into squares and
fold over spanikopita filling. Brush with melted butter and bake.

gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:

>> Cook her whatever she wants. If she wants to live on candy and ice cream,
>> serve it with a big smile. It can do no harm now. And enjoy every day,
>> because they won't last. If you keep complaining like this you'll need a
>> therapist to deal with the guilt when she passes on.
>>
>> BTDT.

I'm not wracked by guilt, but I still feel badly for not being able to
satisfy my mother's request when she was dying of cancer. She wanted a
maple cream filled chocolate and I couldn't find one anywhere in the
area where she lived. This was 36 years ago and I still remember.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> She likes food, she's simply gotten rather picky about it so I'm trying
> to cater to her. If it's eggs and spinach, it's eggs and spinach.

Saute some fresh shredded spinach and slivered onions in butter. Form
into a "nest" on toast and top with a poached egg. Hollandaise or aioli
sounds good as a topping for the whole thing.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gloria P" > wrote in message
. ..
> jmcquown wrote:
>

>> She likes food, she's simply gotten rather picky about it so I'm trying
>> to cater to her. If it's eggs and spinach, it's eggs and spinach.

> Saute some fresh shredded spinach and slivered onions in butter. Form
> into a "nest" on toast and top with a poached egg. Hollandaise or aioli
> sounds good as a topping for the whole thing.

I seem to recall seeing that on a menu at a swank hotel once. What was it
called? Eggs Florentine perhaps?

Paul
> gloria p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I can't seem to get my mother to eat anything lately. Anything, that
> is, aside from eggs, cheese, spinach and toast. Not necessarily in that
> order and not necessarily combined. She does like bacon but she's
> shunning most other meats.
>
> Okay, I can only make so many cheese and bacon & egg dishes. And
> spinach souffles. And creamed spinach. She'll eat a little macaroni &
> cheese. Oh, and the toast, ergo grilled cheese sandwiches. I have yet
> to try grilled cheese with spinach but don't think I haven't thought of
> it! She doesn't want raw spinach (as in a salad). I'm running out of
> ideas.
>
> She'll eat eggs practially any way (except poached). So when you've
> baked, soft-boiled, scrambled, fried, cooked over-easy, over medium over
> well over and over again... what's left?
>
> Oh, of course! Quiche! It incorporates everything she'll eat. Eggs.
> Cheese. Sometimes bacon! Sometimes spinach! Sometimes even other
> veggies like broccoli Oh, and she likes mashed potatoes. By
> extention, mashed potato pancakes. And home fries or hash browns...
> maybe latkes? All this doesn't really add much to the cooking repetoire.
>
> Dammit, must I cook eggs, cheese, spinach, toast and potatoes for the
> rest of her life?! I suppose I shall, but it's getting hard to be
> creative with it.
>
> Gonna make a pot of Grandma Mac's potato soup tomorrow. She likes
> that... at least she used to. Dad loved it and was happy I managed to
> re-create his mother's recipe. Dad's sister loves it, too. If Mom
> doesn't want to eat it I guess I'll scramble her some eggs...
>
> Jill

Here's a tnt recipe that you might like. I have another tnt
recipe that I will type up for you.

Greek-Style Spinach Casserole (9 servings)
Recipe created by Jean B.

My long-time SO's 90-y-o aunt made a spinach casserole that was
laden with butter, etc. Hence I didn't particularly want to make
it in the original form again. As I was pondering this dish, I
also found myself thinking of spanakopita, but I didn't want to
make THAT because I am just not into puttering now. I compared
many different recipes for spinach casserole and for spanakopita
and came up with this--which came out rather well. I do, however,
recommend that you NOT consume all of this yourself, because no
matter how good it is, nine servings will be rather tiring.

1 10-oz package frozen chopped spinach, thawed in microwave and
juice squeezed out
1 lb small curd cottage cheese
1/2 c chopped parsley
1/2 c chopped dill
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 c crumbled feta cheese
1/4 c flour
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp wheat germ

Preheat oven to 350F.
Combine all ingredients except wheat germ. Spoon into
buttered/sprayed 9" square glass pan, and smooth top. Sprinkle
with wheat germ. Bake 1 hour at 350F. (Per usual, I can't comment
on the accuracy of the cooking time and temp. I intended to cook
it for 1 hour at 325F in my countertop convection oven, which I
think runs hot. It was done in 40 minutes. Basically you want it
to be set, and when you use the custard test, you should not find
uncooked egg.)

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 16 Aug 2008 05:24:28a, Janet Baraclough told us...

> The message >
> from "jmcquown" > contains these words:
>
>> I can't seem to get my mother to eat anything lately.

> Has she had her teeth checked lately? She might have sore gums or loose
> dentures the dentist can do something about.
>
> From the list of what she will eat, two things stand out; texture
> and bland taste.
> She maybe has very little sense of taste or smell left (this is
> pretty common in old age, and it happens gradually so sometimes people
> aren't aware of it. ). Emphasising visual appeal may help; more food
> colours on the plate , or make a pattern or picture on the plate with
> the food . If you made a circle heart or criss cross of mayo brownsauce
> or tomato ketchup direct on the plate, for example, the aim is to
> stimulate her interest in the meal, and it really doesnt matter if she
> barely touches the ketchup etc.
>
> She also likes soft food that doesn't require a lot of biting or
> chewing. That's pretty normal too. In old age facial and jaw "chew and
> swallow" muscles get weaker (cheeks sag and necks get scrawny) and gums
> shrink. I'd just work around what her tastes tell you, feels
> comfortable in her mouth. Cooked veg and fruit can be mashed, or pureed
> through a baby-mouli (apples, beans carrots, peas, parsnip, tomatoes,
> broccoli) . Fresh fruit like mango, banana , strawberry, avocado are
> easy to eat. Lentils cooked really soft store in the fridge a few days,
> can be hidden in almost anything and are a good protein source. A
> spoonful of orange mashed lentils or cooked rice is another colour on
> the plate.
>
> Making her food prep simpler for yourself may help reduce your
> boredom and frustration. Use canned food. Buy small sizes. Canned tuna
> and sardines can be mashed up with some lemon juice and served as a
> spread on toast fingers. or in a spoonful beside her scrambled egg or
> mashed potato. Canned mandarin orange segments, chopped pineapple, rice
> pudding or soup, are no work for you and easy to eat.
>
> Janet.

A lot of good suggestions, Janet.

Date: Saturday, 08(VIII)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)

Countdown till Labor Day
2wks 1dys 14hrs 27mins
Let's leave religion to the
televangelists. After all, they're the
professionals.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Lin Lin is offline

Michael "Dog3" replied to Jill:

> I'd let her have what she wants.

As I was reading everyone's responses I couldn't help but wonder if
maybe Jill's mom selects those things because that is what Jill prepares
best. (This was NOT a knock at you Jill -- I can't expect everything I
make to be enjoyed all the time, and the way I cook now is a far cry
from what my mom taught me).

If finances allow, take her to a restaurant that serves a wide variety
of "american" cuisine. You know, one of those generic, cookie-cutter
chain type places -- and see what she orders or what on the menu piques
her interest. Even the Furr's Cafeterias are good places to start. I've
noticed that they have revamped their image to appeal to younger folks
as well.

Just my .02¢ worth.

--Lin
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lin wrote:
> As I was reading everyone's responses I couldn't help but wonder if
> maybe Jill's mom selects those things because that is what Jill prepares
> best. (This was NOT a knock at you Jill -- I can't expect everything I
> make to be enjoyed all the time, and the way I cook now is a far cry
> from what my mom taught me).
>
> If finances allow, take her to a restaurant that serves a wide variety
> of "american" cuisine. You know, one of those generic, cookie-cutter
> chain type places -- and see what she orders or what on the menu piques
> her interest. Even the Furr's Cafeterias are good places to start. I've
> noticed that they have revamped their image to appeal to younger folks
> as well.
>
> Just my .02¢ worth.
>
> --Lin

Barging in because I just thought of it, and not because it's a
reply to you...

A couple of days ago, I did an experiment that I really liked, and
which may fit the bill.

I made an omelet, with cooked spinach and roasted garlic in the
egg part. Swiss cheese inside, and topped with a bit of Bearnaise
Sauce. Since I made this up, perhaps I should christen it!

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>
> > I'm sorry you had to deal with guilt. I won't feel guilty, I'm
> > just trying to make sure she eats nutritous food. She gets all the
> > ice cream she wants LOL And she actually expresses an interest in
> > living more than another year.

> If that's the case, can she be coaxed to eat more so she WILL live
> more than another year? Does she take a good multi-vitamin daily?
>
> > Jill

Multi-vitamin. I can't even get her to take her prescription meds anymore.
She claims she's not purposely avoiding them but... um, what do you call
spitting them out in the sink? She has a veritable treasure trove of r/x
meds but she claims she wasn't palming them. Yeah, right. I don't know
what to do about that.

I try to cook what she wants. I try to keep her entertained. And I'm very
tired.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>I can't seem to get my mother to eat anything lately. Anything, that is,
>aside from eggs, cheese, spinach and toast. Not necessarily in that order
>and not necessarily combined. She does like bacon but she's shunning most
>other meats.
>
>Okay, I can only make so many cheese and bacon & egg dishes. And spinach
>souffles. And creamed spinach. She'll eat a little macaroni & cheese. Oh,
>and the toast, ergo grilled cheese sandwiches. I have yet to try grilled
>cheese with spinach but don't think I haven't thought of it! She doesn't
>want raw spinach (as in a salad). I'm running out of ideas.
>
>She'll eat eggs practially any way (except poached). So when you've baked,
>soft-boiled, scrambled, fried, cooked over-easy, over medium over well over
>and over again... what's left?
>
>Oh, of course! Quiche! It incorporates everything she'll eat. Eggs.
>Cheese. Sometimes bacon! Sometimes spinach! Sometimes even other veggies
>like broccoli Oh, and she likes mashed potatoes. By extention, mashed
>potato pancakes. And home fries or hash browns... maybe latkes? All this
>doesn't really add much to the cooking repetoire.
>
>Dammit, must I cook eggs, cheese, spinach, toast and potatoes for the rest
>of her life?! I suppose I shall, but it's getting hard to be creative with
>it.
>
>Gonna make a pot of Grandma Mac's potato soup tomorrow. She likes that...
>at least she used to. Dad loved it and was happy I managed to re-create his
>mother's recipe. Dad's sister loves it, too. If Mom doesn't want to eat it
>I guess I'll scramble her some eggs...
>
>Jill

I've made this a few times and it's a winner. I haven't typed it up
but I scanned the page. Here's a jpg of the recipe.

Spinach-filled crespelle with lemon sauce.

http://i38.tinypic.com/qx52mh.jpg

HTH

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 16 Aug 2008 10:25:46a, jmcquown told us...

> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>> In article >, "jmcquown"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > I'm sorry you had to deal with guilt. I won't feel guilty, I'm
>> > just trying to make sure she eats nutritous food. She gets all the
>> > ice cream she wants LOL And she actually expresses an interest in
>> > living more than another year.

>> If that's the case, can she be coaxed to eat more so she WILL live
>> more than another year? Does she take a good multi-vitamin daily?
>>
>> > Jill

> Multi-vitamin. I can't even get her to take her prescription meds
> anymore. She claims she's not purposely avoiding them but... um, what do
> you call spitting them out in the sink? She has a veritable treasure
> trove of r/x meds but she claims she wasn't palming them. Yeah, right.
> I don't know what to do about that.
>
> I try to cook what she wants. I try to keep her entertained. And I'm
> very tired.
>
> Jill

Doesn't she have any hobbies or other interests like sewing, needlework,
etc.? My mom always kept busy with something. I rarely had to
"entertain" her, even after my dad passed away.

A rather odd thing she did, I thought... As long as I could remember, she
had always gone by her middle name. Shortly after my dad died she began
going by her first name. Curious. Perhaps she was recreating herself.

Date: Saturday, 08(VIII)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)

Countdown till Labor Day
2wks 1dys 12hrs 18mins
Welcome to the Church of the Holy
Cabbage. Lettuce pray

Spinach and Cheese Squares Chef Tamara Recipes (moderated) 0 18-12-2006 12:38 PM
Low fat Spinach and Cheese Burfee Yogesh M Gupta Recipes (moderated) 0 13-12-2006 04:20 AM
Spinach Cheesy Eggs Cathy Leslie Recipes (moderated) 0 06-10-2006 11:22 PM
Cheese-Spinach Soup Tim Recipes 0 06-01-2006 03:34 AM
Baked Spinach With Cheese Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 08-03-2005 04:18 AM