Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Low fat peanut butter cookies?

Is there such a thing? I love them but have high cholesterol. All the
recipes I've found in my cookbooks are high fat - 3/8 to 1/2# butter per
batch. Anyone have a decent tasting recipe with less fat?

TIA

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ken wrote:
> Is there such a thing? I love them but have high cholesterol. All the
> recipes I've found in my cookbooks are high fat - 3/8 to 1/2# butter per
> batch. Anyone have a decent tasting recipe with less fat?
>
> TIA

My favorite peanut-butter cookie recipe doesn't add any butter. It's
crazy easy, and flourless, to boot.

peanut butter cookies (from Serene's friend Carey)
Preheat oven to 350 F

1 cup peanut butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg.

Mix those three ingredients.

drop spoonful and flatten with a fork on ungreased cookie sheet.

bake ~7-10 minutes. don't wait for them to get brown. they won't, and
they will burn if you're not careful.

yes. that simple. yes, only three ingredients. but they're REALLY good!
--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ken" > wrote in message
> Is there such a thing? I love them but have high cholesterol. All the
> recipes I've found in my cookbooks are high fat - 3/8 to 1/2# butter per
> batch. Anyone have a decent tasting recipe with less fat?
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

Yep:

Weight Watchers Peanut Butter Cookies

Was POINTS® Value: 2
Now POINTS® Value: 1
Servings: 24
Preparation Time: 20 min
Cooking Time: 10 min
Level of Difficulty: Moderate

Who says peanut butter's off-limits on a diet? Our freezer cookies are such
a treat, they'll easily become a family favorite.

Ingredients
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp table salt
3 Tbsp reduced-calorie margarine, stick-variety
2 Tbsp reduced-fat peanut butter
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
1 large egg white(s)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 sprays cooking spray
Instructions Combine flour, baking soda and salt in a small bowl; mix well
and set aside.

Combine margarine and peanut butter in a mixing bowl; beat on medium speed
until blended and smooth. Gradually add both sugars and beat until blended;
add egg white and vanilla and beat until smooth. While beating on low speed,
gradually add flour mixture and mix until just blended.

Transfer dough to a large piece of plastic wrap and roll into an 8-inch log.
Wrap log in plastic wrap and freeze for 2 hours. (Note: You can make the
cookie dough up to 3 days in advance and freeze until ready to bake.)

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Coat 2 large baking sheets with cooking spray.

Remove cookie dough from freezer and slice crosswise into about twenty-four
1/3-inch-thick slices; place slices 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets.
Bake until golden around edges, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer cookies to
wire racks to cool completely. Yields 1 cookie per serving.

Flavor Booster: Browned margarine has a nutty flavor that enhances a peanut
butter cookie. Melt the margarine in a small skillet until it sizzles and
just begins to brown. Remove from heat and freeze for 20 minutes, or until
firm, before using in recipe.

Chef Tips
We renovated Peanut Butter Cookies by:
Making them freezer cookies, so less fat is needed (freezing holds the dough
together).

Using reduced-calorie margarine instead of regular margarine or butter.

Swapping reduced-fat peanut butter for regular.

Adding an egg white instead of one whole egg.

© 2008 Weight Watchers International, Inc. © 2008 Weigh****chers.com, Inc.
All rights reserved.
WEIGHT WATCHERS and POINTS are the registered trademarks of Weight Watchers
International, Inc. and are used under license by Weigh****chers.com, Inc.

--
Old Scoundrel

(AKA Dimitri)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ken > wrote:

> Is there such a thing? I love them but have high cholesterol. All the
> recipes I've found in my cookbooks are high fat - 3/8 to 1/2# butter per
> batch. Anyone have a decent tasting recipe with less fat?

Considering the fat content of peanut butter, I don't like your chances.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:

> My favorite peanut-butter cookie recipe doesn't add any butter. It's
> crazy easy, and flourless, to boot.
>
> peanut butter cookies (from Serene's friend Carey)
> Preheat oven to 350 F
>
> 1 cup peanut butter
> 1 cup sugar
> 1 egg.
>
> Mix those three ingredients.
>
> drop spoonful and flatten with a fork on ungreased cookie sheet.
>
> bake ~7-10 minutes. don't wait for them to get brown. they won't, and
> they will burn if you're not careful.
>
> yes. that simple. yes, only three ingredients. but they're REALLY good!

Serene, I love your recipe and I have baked these cookies many times. I
use Splenda, but it still tastes pretty good.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Becca wrote:
> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>
>> My favorite peanut-butter cookie recipe doesn't add any butter. It's
>> crazy easy, and flourless, to boot.
>>
>> peanut butter cookies (from Serene's friend Carey)
>> Preheat oven to 350 F
>>
>> 1 cup peanut butter
>> 1 cup sugar
>> 1 egg.
>>
>> Mix those three ingredients.
>>
>> drop spoonful and flatten with a fork on ungreased cookie sheet.
>>
>> bake ~7-10 minutes. don't wait for them to get brown. they won't, and
>> they will burn if you're not careful.
>>
>> yes. that simple. yes, only three ingredients. but they're REALLY good!

> Serene, I love your recipe and I have baked these cookies many times. I
> use Splenda, but it still tastes pretty good.

Oh, that's so good to know. I will try them with Splenda next time I
make them and see if James likes them as much as the regular ones. He's
usually fine with a little sugar, but if the cookies are yummy to him
without the sugar, then even better.

Serene

--
"I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> Becca wrote:
>> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>>
>>> My favorite peanut-butter cookie recipe doesn't add any butter. It's
>>> crazy easy, and flourless, to boot.
>>>
>>> peanut butter cookies (from Serene's friend Carey)
>>> Preheat oven to 350 F
>>>
>>> 1 cup peanut butter
>>> 1 cup sugar
>>> 1 egg.
>>>
>>> Mix those three ingredients.
>>>
>>> drop spoonful and flatten with a fork on ungreased cookie sheet.
>>>
>>> bake ~7-10 minutes. don't wait for them to get brown. they won't, and
>>> they will burn if you're not careful.
>>>
>>> yes. that simple. yes, only three ingredients. but they're REALLY good!

>> Serene, I love your recipe and I have baked these cookies many times.
>> I use Splenda, but it still tastes pretty good.

> Oh, that's so good to know. I will try them with Splenda next time I
> make them and see if James likes them as much as the regular ones. He's
> usually fine with a little sugar, but if the cookies are yummy to him
> without the sugar, then even better.
>
> Serene

My husband is gluten intolerant and I try to avoid sugar (sometimes!).
Using Splenda works for the two of us. I will dip the fork in Splenda,
to make the cross on top of the cookies. lol

Thanks again for the recipe. I have served them to house guests and they
enjoyed them. I also shared your recipe with the celiac group.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 22 Jul 2008 05:56:57p, Becca told us...

> Serene Vannoy wrote:
>> Becca wrote:

good!

>>> Serene, I love your recipe and I have baked these cookies many times.
>>> I use Splenda, but it still tastes pretty good.

>> Oh, that's so good to know. I will try them with Splenda next time I
>> make them and see if James likes them as much as the regular ones. He's
>> usually fine with a little sugar, but if the cookies are yummy to him
>> without the sugar, then even better.
>>
>> Serene

> My husband is gluten intolerant and I try to avoid sugar (sometimes!).
> Using Splenda works for the two of us. I will dip the fork in Splenda,
> to make the cross on top of the cookies. lol
>
> Thanks again for the recipe. I have served them to house guests and they
> enjoyed them. I also shared your recipe with the celiac group.
>
> Becca

I must give these a try. Still, with the peanut butter there's fat, but
certainly a lot less than if you used additional fat in the butter.
Without the flour, I would guess is fairly low in carbs, too?

--
Wayne Boatwright
Tuesday, 07(VII)/22(XXII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 22 Jul 2008 05:56:57p, Becca told us...
>
>> Serene Vannoy wrote:

> good!
>>> Oh, that's so good to know. I will try them with Splenda next time I
>>> make them and see if James likes them as much as the regular ones. He's
>>> usually fine with a little sugar, but if the cookies are yummy to him
>>> without the sugar, then even better.
>>>
>>> Serene

>> My husband is gluten intolerant and I try to avoid sugar (sometimes!).
>> Using Splenda works for the two of us. I will dip the fork in Splenda,
>> to make the cross on top of the cookies. lol
>>
>> Thanks again for the recipe. I have served them to house guests and they
>> enjoyed them. I also shared your recipe with the celiac group.
>>
>> Becca
>>

> I must give these a try. Still, with the peanut butter there's fat, but
> certainly a lot less than if you used additional fat in the butter.
> Without the flour, I would guess is fairly low in carbs, too?

Peanut butter does have a few carbs, but I choose to ignore that when I
am in a cookie mood.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
> Ken wrote:
>> Is there such a thing? I love them but have high cholesterol. All the
>> recipes I've found in my cookbooks are high fat - 3/8 to 1/2# butter per
>> batch. Anyone have a decent tasting recipe with less fat?
>>
>> TIA

> My favorite peanut-butter cookie recipe doesn't add any butter. It's crazy
> easy, and flourless, to boot.
>
> peanut butter cookies (from Serene's friend Carey)
> Preheat oven to 350 F
>
> 1 cup peanut butter
> 1 cup sugar
> 1 egg.
>
> Mix those three ingredients.
>
> drop spoonful and flatten with a fork on ungreased cookie sheet.
>
> bake ~7-10 minutes. don't wait for them to get brown. they won't, and they
> will burn if you're not careful.
>
> yes. that simple. yes, only three ingredients. but they're REALLY good!
> --
> "I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef

These are delicious too with a chocolate kiss pressed in the middle
as soon as they come out of the oven.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Tue 22 Jul 2008 05:56:57p, Becca told us...
>
> > Serene Vannoy wrote:

> good!

> >> Oh, that's so good to know. I will try them with Splenda next time I
> >> make them and see if James likes them as much as the regular ones. He's
> >> usually fine with a little sugar, but if the cookies are yummy to him
> >> without the sugar, then even better.
> >>
> >> Serene

<snip>

> I must give these a try. Still, with the peanut butter there's fat, but
> certainly a lot less than if you used additional fat in the butter.
> Without the flour, I would guess is fairly low in carbs, too?
>
> --
> Wayne Boatwright

Depends on what is considered low carb these days. Sugar is a
carbohydrate of course. With artificial sweeteners, it would be lower
carb.

Must also try these. Usually don't like peanut butter cookies, but
thinking it's the greasiness that puts me off. Our home-ground peanut
butter isn't oily/greasy so these could be quite good.

Thanks Serene.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

nobody but us chickens wrote:
> "Serene Vannoy" > wrote in message
>> Ken wrote:
>>> Is there such a thing? I love them but have high cholesterol. All the
>>> recipes I've found in my cookbooks are high fat - 3/8 to 1/2# butter per
>>> batch. Anyone have a decent tasting recipe with less fat?
>>>
>>> TIA

>> My favorite peanut-butter cookie recipe doesn't add any butter. It's crazy
>> easy, and flourless, to boot.
>>
>> peanut butter cookies (from Serene's friend Carey)
>> Preheat oven to 350 F
>>
>> 1 cup peanut butter
>> 1 cup sugar
>> 1 egg.
>>
>> Mix those three ingredients.
>>
>> drop spoonful and flatten with a fork on ungreased cookie sheet.
>>
>> bake ~7-10 minutes. don't wait for them to get brown. they won't, and they
>> will burn if you're not careful.
>>
>> yes. that simple. yes, only three ingredients. but they're REALLY good!
>> --
>> "I think I have an umami receptor that has developed sentience." -- Stef

> These are delicious too with a chocolate kiss pressed in the middle
> as soon as they come out of the oven.

Mmmmm....

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ken > wrote:

> Is there such a thing? I love them but have high cholesterol. All the
> recipes I've found in my cookbooks are high fat - 3/8 to 1/2# butter per
> batch. Anyone have a decent tasting recipe with less fat?
>
> TIA
>
> Ken

Low-fat peanut butter cookies ‹ now there's an oxymoron. There's a
recipe that uses just pb, sugar, and an egg -- no flour, no shortening.
Pb's high fat to start with, though. And it is cholesterol free
(cholesterol is an animal thang).
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller , blahblahblog is back!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri 25 Jul 2008 05:07:16p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article >,
> Ken > wrote:
>
>> Is there such a thing? I love them but have high cholesterol. All the
>> recipes I've found in my cookbooks are high fat - 3/8 to 1/2# butter per
>> batch. Anyone have a decent tasting recipe with less fat?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> Ken

> Low-fat peanut butter cookies ‹ now there's an oxymoron. There's a
> recipe that uses just pb, sugar, and an egg -- no flour, no shortening.
> Pb's high fat to start with, though. And it is cholesterol free
> (cholesterol is an animal thang).

Peanuts are animals? Damn, ya learn something new everday!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Friday, 07(VII)/25(XXV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Fri 25 Jul 2008 05:07:16p, Melba's Jammin' told us...
>
> > In article >,
> > Ken > wrote:
> >
> >> Is there such a thing? I love them but have high cholesterol. All the
> >> recipes I've found in my cookbooks are high fat - 3/8 to 1/2# butter per
> >> batch. Anyone have a decent tasting recipe with less fat?
> >>
> >> TIA
> >>
> >> Ken

> > Low-fat peanut butter cookies ‹ now there's an oxymoron. There's a
> > recipe that uses just pb, sugar, and an egg -- no flour, no shortening.
> > Pb's high fat to start with, though. And it is cholesterol free
> > (cholesterol is an animal thang).

> Peanuts are animals? Damn, ya learn something new everday!

I don't think that's what I said, Wayne. Especially after re-reading
it. '-) I could more correctly have said that cholesterol is an animal
FAT thang, though.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller , blahblahblog is back!
"rec.food.cooking Preserved Fruit Administrator
'Always in a jam. Never in a stew.'" - Evergene

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 26 Jul 2008 09:12:22a, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article 0>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Fri 25 Jul 2008 05:07:16p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

>> > Low-fat peanut butter cookies ‹ now there's an oxymoron. There's a
>> > recipe that uses just pb, sugar, and an egg -- no flour, no
>> > shortening. Pb's high fat to start with, though. And it is
>> > cholesterol free (cholesterol is an animal thang).

>> Peanuts are animals? Damn, ya learn something new everday!

> I don't think that's what I said, Wayne. Especially after re-reading
> it. '-) I could more correctly have said that cholesterol is an animal
> FAT thang, though.

I was just joshing ya, Barb. :-)

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 07(VII)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 0>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Sat 26 Jul 2008 09:12:22a, Melba's Jammin' told us...
>
> > In article 0>,
> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> >
> >> On Fri 25 Jul 2008 05:07:16p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> >> Peanuts are animals? Damn, ya learn something new everday!

> > I don't think that's what I said, Wayne. Especially after re-reading
> > it. '-) I could more correctly have said that cholesterol is an animal
> > FAT thang, though.

> I was just joshing ya, Barb. :-)

Sorry. I'm sensitive to it because of a 'conversation' I had with a
relative who shall remain nameless. Her husband's cholesterol level
went down when he quit eating pb -- it's high in cholesterol, doncha
know.
"Well, no, actually, it's not‹it doesn't have any cholesterol."
She insisted it do.
"No, really, it doesn't. Seriously. Cholesterol is an animal fat
thing."
"Well, I DON'T CARE! All I know is blahblahblah."
Fine, but don't spread the myth that peanut butter is high in
cholesterol.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller , blahblahblog is back and
"rec.food.cooking Preserved Fruit Administrator
'Always in a jam. Never in a stew.'" - Evergene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 26 Jul 2008 02:10:29p, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article 0>,
> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> On Sat 26 Jul 2008 09:12:22a, Melba's Jammin' told us...

fat?

>> > I don't think that's what I said, Wayne. Especially after re-

reading
>> > it. '-) I could more correctly have said that cholesterol is an

animal
>> > FAT thang, though.

>> I was just joshing ya, Barb. :-)

> Sorry. I'm sensitive to it because of a 'conversation' I had with a
> relative who shall remain nameless. Her husband's cholesterol level
> went down when he quit eating pb -- it's high in cholesterol, doncha
> know.
> "Well, no, actually, it's not‹it doesn't have any cholesterol."
> She insisted it do.
> "No, really, it doesn't. Seriously. Cholesterol is an animal fat
> thing."
> "Well, I DON'T CARE! All I know is blahblahblah."
> Fine, but don't spread the myth that peanut butter is high in
> cholesterol.

Stupid is forever; ignorance can be fixed. Wonder which she is?

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 07(VII)/26(XXVI)/08(MMVIII)
Always remember that you are unique.
Just like everyone else.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm coming in late on this one. (Been away for a while. Back so I can
report on Croissants VI which are getting their final rise as we speak.)
I try to avoid arguments about what's healthy and what's not. For the
original poster, I think this recipe for peanut butter cookies is what
you're looking for. Don't be put off by the whole wheat flour and lack
of sugar. These are very peanutty and delightfully not too sweet.

Put in a blender and puree until smooth:

1 pound peanut butter- the unhomogenized sort from the health food store
2/3 cup plain oil, soy or corn are good
3/4 cup real maple syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)

Pour that into a bowl.
Then sift on top:

3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon salt

Combine well.

Form cookies by picking up a tablespoon of dough, rolling in your hands
into a ball, then flattening with a fork. Place on greased cookie
sheet. Bake at 350 degrees until browned at the edges, about 12
minutes. Allow them to cool on the sheet. They'll fall apart to
crumbliness if you don't.

Works with almond butter too.

--Lia