Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soft Molasses Drop Cookies

This is my second try at cookies, after the first one where the dough
merged into one giant cookie a couple of weeks ago. These came out just
about exactly as I put them into the oven, no merging, and are quite
good, without being obnoxiously sweet. This recipe made about 3 dozen
small cookies - a bit more than 1.5 pounds or so.

SOFT MOLASSES DROP COOKIES

3/4 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. molasses
1 egg
2 1/4 c. flour
2 tsp. soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cloves
1/4 tsp. salt

Cream butter, sugar, add molasses and egg. Mix in dry ingredients, roll
into ball. Dip in sugar, do not flatten. Bake at 350 degrees 10 to 12
minutes. Bake on top oven rack.

Comments: I made them into balls noticeably smaller than golf balls. I
used 0-Trans Fat Crsico, since I still have that can I bought a couple
of weeks ago and want to finish it off before trying something else.
For brown sugar, I used Domino's "Brownulated" sugar since it is what I
had at hand, and want to use up what's around. I did not dip them in
sugar.

I figure that there's about 5 grams of trans fats in the 3/4 cup of
Crisco, based on information received here on RFC. I have no idea how
much trans fat would be in the butter of the recipe.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cuthbert Thistlethwaite wrote:
> This is my second try at cookies, after the first one where the dough
> merged into one giant cookie a couple of weeks ago. These came out just
> about exactly as I put them into the oven, no merging, and are quite
> good, without being obnoxiously sweet. This recipe made about 3 dozen
> small cookies - a bit more than 1.5 pounds or so.
>
> SOFT MOLASSES DROP COOKIES
>
> 3/4 c. butter
> 1 c. brown sugar
> 1/4 c. molasses
> 1 egg
> 2 1/4 c. flour
> 2 tsp. soda
> 2 tsp. cinnamon
> 1 tsp. ginger
> 1 tsp. cloves
> 1/4 tsp. salt
>
> Cream butter, sugar, add molasses and egg. Mix in dry ingredients, roll
> into ball. Dip in sugar, do not flatten. Bake at 350 degrees 10 to 12
> minutes. Bake on top oven rack.
>
> Comments: I made them into balls noticeably smaller than golf balls. I
> used 0-Trans Fat Crsico, since I still have that can I bought a couple
> of weeks ago and want to finish it off before trying something else.
> For brown sugar, I used Domino's "Brownulated" sugar since it is what I
> had at hand, and want to use up what's around. I did not dip them in
> sugar.
>
> I figure that there's about 5 grams of trans fats in the 3/4 cup of
> Crisco, based on information received here on RFC. I have no idea how
> much trans fat would be in the butter of the recipe.

There is no trans fat in butter.
There is saturated fat.
http://www.fda.gov/FDAC/features/2003/503_fats.html

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cuthbert Thistlethwaite > wrote in
:

> I figure that there's about 5 grams of trans fats in the
> 3/4 cup of Crisco, based on information received here on
> RFC. I have no idea how much trans fat would be in the
> butter of the recipe.

there is about 3.12 grams of *natural* trans fat in a half
cup of butter, so in 3/4 cup there would be 4.68 grams. of
course, that is natural trans fat, which is something one
needs in one's diet (with moderation of course). your cookies
have man-made trans fats, which are the ones that have caused
health concerns.
there is a weird disconnect from real foods & healthy eating
in the US, largely spurred by out-of-context news sound bites.
unless you have a lactose intolerance use the butter. it's
better for you than Crisco & the cookies will taste better.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> there is about 3.12 grams of *natural* trans fat in a half
> cup of butter, so in 3/4 cup there would be 4.68 grams. of
> course, that is natural trans fat, which is something one
> needs in one's diet (with moderation of course). your cookies
> have man-made trans fats, which are the ones that have caused
> health concerns.
> there is a weird disconnect from real foods & healthy eating
> in the US, largely spurred by out-of-context news sound bites.
> unless you have a lactose intolerance use the butter. it's
> better for you than Crisco & the cookies will taste better.
> lee

Thanks to both of these responses; when I finish off the Crisco I intend
to try butter, although note that it contains a bit of cholesterol
itself. Also, a poster, Kimberly, I think, suggested a Smart Balance
shortening product, which is also on my list.

It isn't easy or obvious to get the best, right balance of bad things in
the fat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cuthbert Thistlethwaite wrote:

> Thanks to both of these responses; when I finish off the Crisco I intend
> to try butter, although note that it contains a bit of cholesterol
> itself. Also, a poster, Kimberly, I think, suggested a Smart Balance
> shortening product, which is also on my list.
>
> It isn't easy or obvious to get the best, right balance of bad things in
> the fat.

I'll let your doctor advise you on the health issues and point out this:
Butter makes for a crispier and better tasting cookie. (Though the
flavor part is subjective.) Shortening makes for a softer cookie.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cuthbert Thistlethwaite > wrote in
:

>> there is about 3.12 grams of *natural* trans fat in a
>> half
>> cup of butter, so in 3/4 cup there would be 4.68 grams. of
>> course, that is natural trans fat, which is something one
>> needs in one's diet (with moderation of course). your
>> cookies have man-made trans fats, which are the ones that
>> have caused health concerns.
>> there is a weird disconnect from real foods & healthy
>> eating
>> in the US, largely spurred by out-of-context news sound
>> bites.
>> unless you have a lactose intolerance use the butter.
>> it's
>> better for you than Crisco & the cookies will taste
>> better. lee

> Thanks to both of these responses; when I finish off the
> Crisco I intend to try butter, although note that it
> contains a bit of cholesterol itself. Also, a poster,
> Kimberly, I think, suggested a Smart Balance shortening
> product, which is also on my list.
>
> It isn't easy or obvious to get the best, right balance of
> bad things in the fat.

my rule of thumb is that if it's a manmade chemically derived
product, it's not going to be nearly as good for you as a
natural product.
therefore, we only allow butter in our house for eating &
baking. i'm not above using lard for piecrust, if i can get
real lard instead of the chemically enhanced "shelf stable'
stuff. it's not like i eat a lot of pies...
also, the human body is designed to run on animal & vegetable
products, so the types of cholesterol in them is what our
bodies are designed for... if we eat a rational amount of food
& get exercise, those naturally occuring whatevers the
soundbite media is wailing about as eeeeeeeevul, really
aren't.
of course the problem is getting people to eat rational
amounts of food & to exercise...

lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
It wasn't there again today
The host resolved to NSA.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:
> my rule of thumb is that if it's a manmade chemically derived
> product, it's not going to be nearly as good for you as a
> natural product.
> therefore, we only allow butter in our house for eating &
> baking. i'm not above using lard for piecrust, if i can get
> real lard instead of the chemically enhanced "shelf stable'
> stuff. it's not like i eat a lot of pies...
> also, the human body is designed to run on animal & vegetable
> products, so the types of cholesterol in them is what our
> bodies are designed for... if we eat a rational amount of food
> & get exercise, those naturally occuring whatevers the
> soundbite media is wailing about as eeeeeeeevul, really
> aren't.
> of course the problem is getting people to eat rational
> amounts of food & to exercise...
>
> lee

But where DOES one get unadulterated lard? I sure can't find it
around here. I would really like to use it for some old recipes I
have.

I agree re the frankenfoods. I examine labels carefully and try
to get foods that ONLY contain items that I would cook with myself.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in
:

> But where DOES one get unadulterated lard? I sure can't
> find it around here. I would really like to use it for
> some old recipes I have.

farmer's market? friends who raise grass fed piggies & beef,
in my case.
we have refrigeration. lard doesn't need to be 'shelf
stable" if you have access to a fridge or freezer.

> I agree re the frankenfoods. I examine labels carefully
> and try to get foods that ONLY contain items that I would
> cook with myself.

best way to do it.
lee <off to cook artichokes for the child. he gets a treat>

--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
It wasn't there again today
The host resolved to NSA.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in
> :
>
>> But where DOES one get unadulterated lard? I sure can't
>> find it around here. I would really like to use it for
>> some old recipes I have.

> farmer's market? friends who raise grass fed piggies & beef,
> in my case.
> we have refrigeration. lard doesn't need to be 'shelf
> stable" if you have access to a fridge or freezer.
>
>> I agree re the frankenfoods. I examine labels carefully
>> and try to get foods that ONLY contain items that I would
>> cook with myself.

> best way to do it.
> lee <off to cook artichokes for the child. he gets a treat>

Oh! Farmers' Market! What a good idea! I know ours has meat,
don't know what kind. If not here, maybe another one in the area.
Now I have to go look at listings of who sells at the various
markets.

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Jean B." > wrote in
:

> Oh! Farmers' Market! What a good idea! I know ours has
> meat, don't know what kind. If not here, maybe another one
> in the area.
> Now I have to go look at listings of who sells at the
> various markets.

they probably won't have any at the markets, because it is a
bit of a specialty product now, but if you ask i would think
they could get you some. good luck!

lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
It wasn't there again today
The host resolved to NSA.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

:

>> Oh! Farmers' Market! What a good idea! I know ours has
>> meat, don't know what kind. If not here, maybe another one
>> in the area.
>> Now I have to go look at listings of who sells at the
>> various markets.

> they probably won't have any at the markets, because it is a
>bit of a specialty product now, but if you ask i would think
>they could get you some. good luck!
>
>lee

has anyone suggested hispanic markets? depending on where you live,
that might be an option for lard. (i wouldn't know if it was
stabilized, though.)

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

enigma wrote:
> "Jean B." > wrote in
> :
>
>> Oh! Farmers' Market! What a good idea! I know ours has
>> meat, don't know what kind. If not here, maybe another one
>> in the area.
>> Now I have to go look at listings of who sells at the
>> various markets.

> they probably won't have any at the markets, because it is a
> bit of a specialty product now, but if you ask i would think
> they could get you some. good luck!
>
> lee

So far, no luck. But I am still hopeful. It is a very good hint.
And even if I end up having to make it myself, I have already
found a source of pork belly (no additives; from naturally raised
pigs, etc.).

--
Jean B.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 12:01:10 +0000 (UTC), enigma >
> wrote:
>
>> "Jean B." > wrote in
>> :
>>
>>> Oh! Farmers' Market! What a good idea! I know ours has
>>> meat, don't know what kind. If not here, maybe another one
>>> in the area.
>>> Now I have to go look at listings of who sells at the
>>> various markets.

>> they probably won't have any at the markets, because it is a
>> bit of a specialty product now, but if you ask i would think
>> they could get you some. good luck!
>>
>> lee

> has anyone suggested hispanic markets? depending on where you live,
> that might be an option for lard. (i wouldn't know if it was
> stabilized, though.)
>
> your pal,
> blake

I STILL need to find a good Hispanic market, with parking. Maybe
I'll ask on ne.food.

--
Jean B.