Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Default Not So Picky Eaters

To offset the frequent threads about children who are picky eaters,
here is a story from today's New York Times food section about the
opposite. The title, "Scorpions for Breakfast and Snails for Dinner,"
gives you the idea. -aem

http://tinyurl.com/52mb2a
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:28:28 -0700, aem wrote:

> To offset the frequent threads about children who are picky eaters, here
> is a story from today's New York Times food section about the opposite.
> The title, "Scorpions for Breakfast and Snails for Dinner," gives you
> the idea. -aem
>
> http://tinyurl.com/52mb2a

Good read. My youngest is almost (but not quite) as adventurous. You
should see some people's faces when she scarfs down a plate of snails.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

ChattyCathy wrote:

> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:28:28 -0700, aem wrote:
>
> > To offset the frequent threads about children who are picky eaters, here
> > is a story from today's New York Times food section about the opposite.
> > The title, "Scorpions for Breakfast and Snails for Dinner," gives you
> > the idea. -aem
> >
> > http://tinyurl.com/52mb2a

> Good read. My youngest is almost (but not quite) as adventurous. You
> should see some people's faces when she scarfs down a plate of snails.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy
>
> Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

Definitely a ditto a good read. It's interesting how parents'
attitudes influence a child's likes & dislikes, to a large degree. This
is a topic I take close to heart.

When I grew up, the parental credo was "eat everything on your plate or
straight to bed you go" and/or another tactic used was the same leftover
food from dinner the night before was served as breakfast the following
morning, or lunch, etc. Who wants to guess how many cummulative hours
during my youngster years I had to sit at the dinner table waiting for
bedtime?! Y'all don't want to know <G>!

Why do (some) parents try to force their child(ren) to eat foods the
child "obviously" and "intensely" dislikes? Mind, I don't mean feed a
child unhealthy foods like chips/fries etc., nor do I advocate caving in
or catering to the child's culinary whims either! Not at all.

In my limited experience, I've learned it's best to offer a child a
couple of choices -- no more than that. "You can have Choice 'A' or
Choice 'B' for this meal. Which would you like to have?" No more, no
less. That way, the child does have a choice, but a very limited one
and some sense of control. And I never end a statement with a
questioning "OK?"! By ending any statement with that "OK?" - it
(potentially) gives the child the impression they have options other
than A or B. I cringe when I hear other parents in public followup
their directions with ". . . . OK?" ARGH!

OH! What's my point? My point is DS (my child!) has no food dislikes I
know about -- he's very adventurous culinary-wise. He eats anything
that's served to him. As picky as I am myself (and I'm VERY picky!), I
made sure his choices were healthy foods and not 'fast food' take-out,
etc. (they were occasional treats). I'd ask him, "broccoli or peas?" or
"chicken or fish?" - that sort of thing. Nor did I ever make him eat
foods he obviously disliked. But, I did require him to give 'honest
tries' to taste new foods. Nothing more, nothing less.

Unfortunately, I think it's much harder for children (and their parents)
growing up today than it was during the 1980s and earlier. The World
has changed drastically and so quickly too!!!

Sky, who's no expert about anything and steps off soapbox now ;>

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sky wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 10:28:28 -0700, aem wrote:
>>
>>> To offset the frequent threads about children who are picky eaters, here
>>> is a story from today's New York Times food section about the opposite.
>>> The title, "Scorpions for Breakfast and Snails for Dinner," gives you
>>> the idea. -aem
>>>
>>> http://tinyurl.com/52mb2a

>> Good read. My youngest is almost (but not quite) as adventurous. You
>> should see some people's faces when she scarfs down a plate of snails.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers
>> Chatty Cathy
>>
>> Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

> Definitely a ditto a good read. It's interesting how parents'
> attitudes influence a child's likes & dislikes, to a large degree. This
> is a topic I take close to heart.

And then there are just differences in people's basic likes and
dislikes. I raised two kids who were 18 months apart -- they are like
night and day, and always were. The older one didn't (and still doesn't)
like his food to touch, and didn't/doesn't like sauces on things, etc.
The younger one was eating sushi and roasted beets and edamame and squid
from the time she was tiny, and is still like that. *shrug*

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Vannoy wrote:
> Sky wrote:
>> ChattyCathy wrote:

>>> Good read. My youngest is almost (but not quite) as adventurous. You
>>> should see some people's faces when she scarfs down a plate of snails.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Cheers
>>> Chatty Cathy
>>>
>>> Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

>> Definitely a ditto a good read. It's interesting how parents'
>> attitudes influence a child's likes & dislikes, to a large degree. This
>> is a topic I take close to heart.

> And then there are just differences in people's basic likes and
> dislikes. I raised two kids who were 18 months apart -- they are like
> night and day, and always were. The older one didn't (and still doesn't)
> like his food to touch, and didn't/doesn't like sauces on things, etc.
> The younger one was eating sushi and roasted beets and edamame and squid
> from the time she was tiny, and is still like that. *shrug*
>
> Serene

My two kids are also about 18 months apart, the eldest will eat about
anything and the youngest was always a little picky. Example: some kid
at school told him green peas were actually spider eggs and he still
won't eat them and he will soon be 45 yo. He would eat raccoon,
squirrel, and the occasional possum but now prefers prime beef.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Serene Vannoy wrote:

> Sky wrote:
> > ChattyCathy wrote:

> >> Good read. My youngest is almost (but not quite) as adventurous. You
> >> should see some people's faces when she scarfs down a plate of snails.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Cheers
> >> Chatty Cathy
> >>
> >> Egg tastes better when it's not on your face...

> > Definitely a ditto a good read. It's interesting how parents'
> > attitudes influence a child's likes & dislikes, to a large degree. This
> > is a topic I take close to heart.

> And then there are just differences in people's basic likes and
> dislikes. I raised two kids who were 18 months apart -- they are like
> night and day, and always were. The older one didn't (and still doesn't)
> like his food to touch, and didn't/doesn't like sauces on things, etc.
> The younger one was eating sushi and roasted beets and edamame and squid
> from the time she was tiny, and is still like that. *shrug*
>
> Serene

Yep! I know what you mean, but since I had only one child, I had no
basis of comparison. Besides, it's never fair to compare one child to
another one. Not easily done, I know. Alas, I didn't have the
opportunity, much as I wish otherwise.

Sky, who has few regrets

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice

Picky eaters... Chatty Cathy General Cooking 64 27-05-2007 08:49 PM
Picky eaters... david the elder General Cooking 0 23-05-2007 08:53 PM
Picky eaters... merryb General Cooking 0 23-05-2007 05:31 PM
Picky eaters... merryb General Cooking 0 23-05-2007 05:29 PM
Picky eaters... merryb General Cooking 0 23-05-2007 05:29 PM