Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Egg Grades

Just out of curiosity, I checked the egg section when I was buying some
today at the supermarket, for *grades*. I found that everything was
marked Grade AA with two exceptions. Those exceptions we

1. Jumbos of the same brand that was by far the most prevalent on the
shelves were Grade A while all of their other sizes were Grade AA

2. One brand of marked-organic XLG and LG eggs - and I think that were the
only sizes available from that brand - were Grade A.

I did not see any jumbos by any other supplier than the one mentioned
above (Trafficanda Ranch). So there were no AA jumbos available. While
this is a tiny sampling, I'm still wondering of there is something about
jumbos that make them inherently Grade A. I don't care what I eat,
between AA and A; this is just a curiosity thing.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky wrote:
> Just out of curiosity, I checked the egg section when I was buying some
> today at the supermarket, for *grades*. �I found that everything was
> marked Grade AA with two exceptions. �Those exceptions we
>
> 1. Jumbos of the same brand that was by far the most prevalent on the
> shelves were Grade A while all of their other sizes were Grade AA
>
> 2. One brand of marked-organic XLG and LG eggs - and I think that were the
> only sizes available from that brand - were Grade A.
>
> I did not see any jumbos by any other supplier than the one mentioned
> above (Trafficanda Ranch). �So there were no AA jumbos available. �While
> this is a tiny sampling, I'm still wondering of there is something about
> jumbos that make them inherently Grade A. �I don't care what I eat,
> between AA and A; this is just a curiosity thing.

http://www.aeb.org/LearnMore/EggFacts.htm#grading

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 11:52:56 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>... While
>this is a tiny sampling, I'm still wondering of there is something about
>jumbos that make them inherently Grade A. I don't care what I eat,
>between AA and A; this is just a curiosity thing.

Yolk Quality
Outline Slightly Defined - A yolk outline that is indistinctly indicated
and appears to blend into the surrounding white as the egg is
twirled.(AA Quality).

Outline Fairly Well Defined - A yolk outline that is discernible but not
clearly outlined as the egg is twirled.(A Quality).

White Quality
Firm - A white that is sufficiently thick or viscous to prevent the yolk
outline from being more than slightly defined or indistinctly indicated
when the egg is twirled. (AA Quality).

Reasonably Firm - A white that is somewhat less thick or viscous than a
firm white. A reasonably firm white permits the yolk to approach the
shell more closely, which results in a fairly well defined yolk outline
when the egg is twirled.(A Quality).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Robert Klute wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 11:52:56 -0700, Blinky the Shark >
> wrote:
>
>>... While
>>this is a tiny sampling, I'm still wondering of there is something about
>>jumbos that make them inherently Grade A. I don't care what I eat,
>>between AA and A; this is just a curiosity thing.

> Yolk Quality
> Outline Slightly Defined - A yolk outline that is indistinctly indicated
> and appears to blend into the surrounding white as the egg is twirled.(AA
> Quality).
>
> Outline Fairly Well Defined - A yolk outline that is discernible but not
> clearly outlined as the egg is twirled.(A Quality).
>

> White Quality
> Firm - A white that is sufficiently thick or viscous to prevent the yolk
> outline from being more than slightly defined or indistinctly indicated
> when the egg is twirled. (AA Quality).
>
> Reasonably Firm - A white that is somewhat less thick or viscous than a
> firm white. A reasonably firm white permits the yolk to approach the shell
> more closely, which results in a fairly well defined yolk outline when the
> egg is twirled.(A Quality).

I know. My question was "I'm still wondering if there is something about
jumbos that make them inherently Grade A", not "what are the
easily-Googleable differences between the rating characteristics.
Thanks for the effort, though.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .net>,
Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> Robert Klute wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 11:52:56 -0700, Blinky the Shark >
> > wrote:
> >
> >>... While
> >>this is a tiny sampling, I'm still wondering of there is something about
> >>jumbos that make them inherently Grade A. I don't care what I eat,
> >>between AA and A; this is just a curiosity thing.

> > Yolk Quality
> > Outline Slightly Defined - A yolk outline that is indistinctly indicated
> > and appears to blend into the surrounding white as the egg is twirled.(AA
> > Quality).
> >
> > Outline Fairly Well Defined - A yolk outline that is discernible but not
> > clearly outlined as the egg is twirled.(A Quality).
> >

> > White Quality
> > Firm - A white that is sufficiently thick or viscous to prevent the yolk
> > outline from being more than slightly defined or indistinctly indicated
> > when the egg is twirled. (AA Quality).
> >
> > Reasonably Firm - A white that is somewhat less thick or viscous than a
> > firm white. A reasonably firm white permits the yolk to approach the shell
> > more closely, which results in a fairly well defined yolk outline when the
> > egg is twirled.(A Quality).

> I know. My question was "I'm still wondering if there is something about
> jumbos that make them inherently Grade A", not "what are the
> easily-Googleable differences between the rating characteristics.
> Thanks for the effort, though.

Check with the store's dairy manager and also try searching the web. I
imagine you might also find some info at the USDA web site.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 18:29:40 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>I know. My question was "I'm still wondering if there is something about
>jumbos that make them inherently Grade A", not "what are the
>easily-Googleable differences between the rating characteristics.
>Thanks for the effort, though.

Ah, then my guess would be that Jumbo eggs are mor likely to have an air
cell exceeding 1/8 inch in depth - the limit for Grade AA. Grade A eggs
can have an air gap up to 3/16 inch.

It takes about one week for Grade AA eggs to degrade to Grade A when
properly stored, in the carton and in the refrigerator. It then takes
another 5 weeks to degrade from Grade A to Grade B. Only the egg will
slow the degradation.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 16:45:43 -0700, Robert Klute >
wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 11:52:56 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:
>
>>... While
>>this is a tiny sampling, I'm still wondering of there is something about
>>jumbos that make them inherently Grade A. I don't care what I eat,
>>between AA and A; this is just a curiosity thing.

what the hell does 'when the egg is twirled' mean? spun and then
cracked open for inspection?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 16:45:43 -0700, Robert Klute
> > wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 11:52:56 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:
>>
>>>... While
>>>this is a tiny sampling, I'm still wondering of there is
>>>something about jumbos that make them inherently Grade A.
>>>I don't care what I eat, between AA and A; this is just a
>>>curiosity thing.

> what the hell does 'when the egg is twirled' mean? spun
> and then cracked open for inspection?

no, spun in front of a candling light.
candling is useful if you have roosters & don't know how old
those eggs are you just found behind the propane tank
avoids the 'ewwww!' factor.
lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> no, spun in front of a candling light.
> candling is useful if you have roosters & don't know how old
> those eggs are you just found behind the propane tank
> avoids the 'ewwww!' factor.
> lee

For those eggs behind the propane tank, though, all you have to do is
see what they'll do in a glass of water. LOL.

The ones that float are the ones you can throw at your brother.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 17:32:41 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:

>On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 16:45:43 -0700, Robert Klute >
>wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 11:52:56 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:
>>
>>>... While
>>>this is a tiny sampling, I'm still wondering of there is something about
>>>jumbos that make them inherently Grade A. I don't care what I eat,
>>>between AA and A; this is just a curiosity thing.

>what the hell does 'when the egg is twirled' mean? spun and then
>cracked open for inspection?

When eggs are twirled before the candling light, the yolk swings toward
the shell. The distinctness of the yolk outline depends on how close to
the shell the yolk moves, which is, in turn, influenced by the thickness
of the surrounding albumen. Thick albumen permits limited yolk movement
while thin albumen permits greater movement.

The USDA Egg Grading Manual - all you never wanted to know about grading
eggs:
http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getf...STELDEV3004502

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 > wrote in

oups.com:

>> no, spun in front of a candling light.
>> candling is useful if you have roosters & don't know how
>> old
>> those eggs are you just found behind the propane tank
>> avoids the 'ewwww!' factor.
>> lee

> For those eggs behind the propane tank, though, all you
> have to do is see what they'll do in a glass of water.
> LOL.

well, yes & no. developing chicks don't necessarily float more
than an egg that's a few days old.

> The ones that float are the ones you can throw at your
> brother.

they're also loads of fun to shoot with a pellet gun.

lee
--
Last night while sitting in my chair
I pinged a host that wasn't there
It wasn't there again today
The host resolved to NSA.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Robert Klute wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 18:29:40 -0700, Blinky the Shark >
> wrote:
>

>>I know. My question was "I'm still wondering if there is something about
>>jumbos that make them inherently Grade A", not "what are the
>>easily-Googleable differences between the rating characteristics.
>>Thanks for the effort, though.

> Ah, then my guess would be that Jumbo eggs are mor likely to have an air
> cell exceeding 1/8 inch in depth - the limit for Grade AA. Grade A eggs
> can have an air gap up to 3/16 inch.

That sounds like a possibility. Thanks.

> It takes about one week for Grade AA eggs to degrade to Grade A when
> properly stored, in the carton and in the refrigerator. It then takes
> another 5 weeks to degrade from Grade A to Grade B. Only the egg will
> slow the degradation.

I'm not sure what your last sentence means. Help?

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Robert Klute wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 17:32:41 GMT, blake murphy
> > wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 16:45:43 -0700, Robert Klute >
>>wrote:

>>what the hell does 'when the egg is twirled' mean? spun and then cracked
>>open for inspection?

> When eggs are twirled before the candling light, the yolk swings toward
> the shell. The distinctness of the yolk outline depends on how close to
> the shell the yolk moves, which is, in turn, influenced by the thickness
> of the surrounding albumen. Thick albumen permits limited yolk movement
> while thin albumen permits greater movement.

You, Robert, are without doubt The Eggman. John was wrong.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark > wrote:

> I know. My question was "I'm still wondering if there is something about
> jumbos that make them inherently Grade A", not "what are the
> easily-Googleable differences between the rating characteristics.
> Thanks for the effort, though.

The Jumbo and XL Grade AA's are used for high-end breakfast
restaurants (hotels) as they are more presentable when cooked and
less prone to yolk breakage.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 13:44:59 -0700, Robert Klute >
wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 17:32:41 GMT, blake murphy
> wrote:
>
>>On Thu, 05 Jun 2008 16:45:43 -0700, Robert Klute >
>>wrote:

>>what the hell does 'when the egg is twirled' mean? spun and then
>>cracked open for inspection?

>When eggs are twirled before the candling light, the yolk swings toward
>the shell. The distinctness of the yolk outline depends on how close to
>the shell the yolk moves, which is, in turn, influenced by the thickness
>of the surrounding albumen. Thick albumen permits limited yolk movement
>while thin albumen permits greater movement.
>
>The USDA Egg Grading Manual - all you never wanted to know about grading
>eggs:
>http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getf...STELDEV3004502

thank you, robert and lee.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 16:06:48 -0700, Blinky the Shark
> wrote:

>Robert Klute wrote:

>> It takes about one week for Grade AA eggs to degrade to Grade A when
>> properly stored, in the carton and in the refrigerator. It then takes
>> another 5 weeks to degrade from Grade A to Grade B. Only the egg will
>> slow the degradation.

>I'm not sure what your last sentence means. Help?

Brain/editing f*rt. Oiling the egg will slow degradation. In the US
eggs are washed and the natural cuticle is removed. Putting a light
coating of edible mineral oil on the egg to replace the cuticle is
permitted by the USDA, but it is not required. In Europe, grade A eggs
are not washed, only grade B eggs can be washed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Robert Klute wrote:

> On Fri, 06 Jun 2008 16:06:48 -0700, Blinky the Shark >
> wrote:
>
>>Robert Klute wrote:

>>> It takes about one week for Grade AA eggs to degrade to Grade A when
>>> properly stored, in the carton and in the refrigerator. It then takes
>>> another 5 weeks to degrade from Grade A to Grade B. Only the egg will
>>> slow the degradation.

>>I'm not sure what your last sentence means. Help?

> Brain/editing f*rt. Oiling the egg will slow degradation. In the US eggs
> are washed and the natural cuticle is removed. Putting a light coating of
> edible mineral oil on the egg to replace the cuticle is permitted by the
> USDA, but it is not required. In Europe, grade A eggs are not washed,
> only grade B eggs can be washed.

Ah! Thanks.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project --> http://improve-usenet.org
Found 5/08: a free GG-blocking news *feed* --> http://usenet4all.se

Grades of meat [rib roasts] Jim Elbrecht General Cooking 12 22-12-2010 03:35 PM
Are there different grades of beef tongue? Michael Horowitz General Cooking 5 03-02-2008 04:12 AM
How To get Good Grades on Your Food Choices. Joe Marketplace 0 28-09-2006 07:17 PM
Grades of assam Mårten Nilsson Tea 5 26-07-2005 02:28 PM
Iron Chef America: Numerical Grades? Sloppy Joe, The Meat King General Cooking 25 28-04-2004 07:05 AM