Posted to rec.food.cooking
s s is offline

Default help! cake inside looks like pudding!

Hi there,i am having a problem with a mushy 2" high carrot cake.
after 1.5 hrs baking at 180C the inside looks like a pudding instead
of the expected baked cake texture.the outside is almost burnt.

i used a 1' wide deep ceramic pan (without a hole) and stuck to the
recipie (100g carrots,2 banana,50g raisins,225g flour,1 tps baking
powder,150 brown sugar,walnuts 50g,150g oil & 2 eggs)

any ideas what i can try to improve the texture? thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"s" > wrote in message
> Hi there,i am having a problem with a mushy 2" high carrot cake.
> after 1.5 hrs baking at 180C the inside looks like a pudding instead
> of the expected baked cake texture.the outside is almost burnt.
>
> i used a 1' wide deep ceramic pan (without a hole) and stuck to the
> recipie (100g carrots,2 banana,50g raisins,225g flour,1 tps baking
> powder,150 brown sugar,walnuts 50g,150g oil & 2 eggs)
>
> any ideas what i can try to improve the texture? thanks

You need to start over, I am afraid. Your oven is probably hotter than you
think.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 10, 8:27�am, s > wrote:
> Hi there,i am having a problem with a mushy 2" high carrot cake.
> after 1.5 hrs baking at 180C the inside looks like a pudding instead
> of the expected baked cake texture.the outside is almost burnt.
>
> i used a 1' wide deep ceramic pan (without a hole) and stuck to the
> recipie (100g carrots,2 banana,50g raisins,225g flour,1 tps baking
> powder,150 brown sugar,walnuts 50g,150g oil & 2 eggs)
>
> any ideas what i can try to improve the texture? �thanks

Only 225 g flour with all that liquid; carrots, raisins, bananas,
sugar. eggs, oil, and nuts are all considered liquid... you need a new
recipe, and find one with some spices.

---> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/101063

---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 May 2008 05:27:33 -0700 (PDT), s > wrote:

>Hi there,i am having a problem with a mushy 2" high carrot cake.
>after 1.5 hrs baking at 180C the inside looks like a pudding instead
>of the expected baked cake texture.the outside is almost burnt.
>
>i used a 1' wide deep ceramic pan (without a hole) and stuck to the
>recipie (100g carrots,2 banana,50g raisins,225g flour,1 tps baking
>powder,150 brown sugar,walnuts 50g,150g oil & 2 eggs)
>
>any ideas what i can try to improve the texture? thanks

My own carrot cake takes about 50 minutes. Here's a carrot cake
recipe online for you to compare your recipe with.
http://www.joyofbaking.com/CarrotCake.html

BTW: Your addition of banana sounds very interesting. Care to post
the recipe or a link to it here? We'll make the conversions ourselves
if the site doesn't do it for us.

In any case, it sounds like your oven needs fixing... most likely it's
the thermostat. I had a problem once where it just didn't kick in
when it should have and all of my baking was ruined until the
repairman figured out my problem.

In the mean time, here's a yummy cake recipe that's *supposed* to be
liquid in the middle!
http://www.joyofbaking.com/MoltenChocolateCakes.html

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 May 2008 05:27:33 -0700 (PDT), s > wrote:

>Hi there,i am having a problem with a mushy 2" high carrot cake.
>after 1.5 hrs baking at 180C the inside looks like a pudding instead
>of the expected baked cake texture.the outside is almost burnt.

Serve it hot with ice cream and call it carrot pudding.

Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 10 May 2008 09:02:57a, sf told us...

> On Sat, 10 May 2008 05:27:33 -0700 (PDT), s > wrote:
>
>>Hi there,i am having a problem with a mushy 2" high carrot cake.
>>after 1.5 hrs baking at 180C the inside looks like a pudding instead
>>of the expected baked cake texture.the outside is almost burnt.
>>
>>i used a 1' wide deep ceramic pan (without a hole) and stuck to the
>>recipie (100g carrots,2 banana,50g raisins,225g flour,1 tps baking
>>powder,150 brown sugar,walnuts 50g,150g oil & 2 eggs)
>>
>>any ideas what i can try to improve the texture? thanks

> My own carrot cake takes about 50 minutes. Here's a carrot cake
> recipe online for you to compare your recipe with.
> http://www.joyofbaking.com/CarrotCake.html
>
> BTW: Your addition of banana sounds very interesting. Care to post
> the recipe or a link to it here? We'll make the conversions ourselves
> if the site doesn't do it for us.
>
> In any case, it sounds like your oven needs fixing... most likely it's
> the thermostat. I had a problem once where it just didn't kick in
> when it should have and all of my baking was ruined until the
> repairman figured out my problem.
>
> In the mean time, here's a yummy cake recipe that's *supposed* to be
> liquid in the middle!
> http://www.joyofbaking.com/MoltenChocolateCakes.html

Jumping in here with another question... Nearly every time I try to bake a
banana cake (even sometimes banana bread), I have the same problem with the
interior being never quite done when the rest of the cake is. It's usually
gooey. I have particularly used recipes that call for an actual cup
measure of mashed banana instead of those that call for a quantity of
bananas in order to make sure that the ratio of ingredients was accurate.
Gads, bananas can be all over the place in size. Anyway, I usually have
problem making baked goods that turn out perfectly, so what's the problem
with banana?

--
Wayne Boatwright
Saturday, 05(V)/10(X)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 May 2008 18:01:37 +0100, Janet Baraclough
> wrote:

> The other possibility is that your oven thermostat is faulty; you
>could test that with an oven thermometer.

An oven thermometer will help only if it is consistently high or low,
not if the regulator has gone bad.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 10 May 2008 18:17:48 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>Jumping in here with another question... Nearly every time I try to bake a
>banana cake (even sometimes banana bread), I have the same problem with the
>interior being never quite done when the rest of the cake is. It's usually
>gooey. I have particularly used recipes that call for an actual cup
>measure of mashed banana instead of those that call for a quantity of
>bananas in order to make sure that the ratio of ingredients was accurate.
>Gads, bananas can be all over the place in size. Anyway, I usually have
>problem making baked goods that turn out perfectly, so what's the problem
>with banana?

I dunno. I'm a fairly decent baker, but I can't make decent banana
bread to save my life! All the banana ends up at the bottom, in a
slimy (well, not quite that bad) mass. Every bonehead baker
(professed NON-cooks) I know can make great banana bread. Not me.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" <.> wrote in message ...
> On Sat, 10 May 2008 18:17:48 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>Jumping in here with another question... Nearly every time I try to bake
>>banana cake (even sometimes banana bread), I have the same problem with
>>the
>>interior being never quite done when the rest of the cake is. It's
>>usually
>>gooey. I have particularly used recipes that call for an actual cup
>>measure of mashed banana instead of those that call for a quantity of
>>bananas in order to make sure that the ratio of ingredients was accurate.
>>Gads, bananas can be all over the place in size. Anyway, I usually have
>>problem making baked goods that turn out perfectly, so what's the problem
>>with banana?

> I dunno. I'm a fairly decent baker, but I can't make decent banana
> bread to save my life! All the banana ends up at the bottom, in a
> slimy (well, not quite that bad) mass. Every bonehead baker
> (professed NON-cooks) I know can make great banana bread. Not me.

I use Fanny Farmer's 1980s edition recipe and it comes out great every time.
Do you make it in loaf pans?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 11 May 2008 01:53:56 -0400, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>I use Fanny Farmer's 1980s edition recipe and it comes out great every time.
>Do you make it in loaf pans?

Yes. I made it in loaf pans. Can't tell you what recipes I've used.
In the end, it was any recipe someone gave me they said worked.
Haven't tried it in years because I know when to give up.

I can make zucchini bread, regular bread... just not banana bread.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

OT-Brownies inside a cake Micajah Barbecue 0 05-09-2010 03:53 AM
REC: Inside Out German Chocolate Cake Terry Pulliam Burd[_3_] General Cooking 3 09-08-2008 02:43 AM
Hot Fudge Cake (pudding) Tim Bowley Recipes (moderated) 0 27-01-2006 03:48 AM
Cinnamon Pudding Cake Tim Recipes 0 07-07-2005 09:14 PM
Pudding Cake (11) Collection Gladys Dinletir Recipes (moderated) 0 07-12-2004 01:52 PM