Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Artichokes!

I don't make them very often, maybe once a year, if that.
It's been a while. I picked up a couple of nice ones and I'm
going to stuff them.

I'm partial to the seasoned bread crumbs, garlic and parm
stuffing, am I missing something? I always just wing it, I
wonder if there's a glaring omission in my routine.

I do drizzle olive oil over them once they are in the pot,
ready to be steamed. That's how my ex mil did it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> I don't make them very often, maybe once a year, if that.
> It's been a while. I picked up a couple of nice ones and I'm
> going to stuff them.
>
> I'm partial to the seasoned bread crumbs, garlic and parm
> stuffing, am I missing something? I always just wing it, I
> wonder if there's a glaring omission in my routine.
>
> I do drizzle olive oil over them once they are in the pot,
> ready to be steamed. That's how my ex mil did it.
>
> nancy

nancy,

YES! April is the month of artichokes around here.

Your method sounds right. Do you trim the prickers off the tips of the
leaves? I hatchet off the top 1/3 of a choke then trim the remainder.

Dipped in clarified butter, as Mom served it. And as youths we'd fight over
the hearts and then be sent to our room to finish each other off, 'cept our
sister, who always came off like an angel.

Artichokes can't be beat, imho! My favorite vegetable #1!!!

I've grown lazy in my old age and settle for artichoke "bottoms" out of a
can, but will get my share of the fresh ones from the produce market for
the short "in season" term.

Best,

Andy

P.S. Chop, save and peel the stalk! As good as the heart. --A
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> Nancy Young said...

>> I'm partial to the seasoned bread crumbs, garlic and parm
>> stuffing, am I missing something? I always just wing it, I
>> wonder if there's a glaring omission in my routine.
>>
>> I do drizzle olive oil over them once they are in the pot,
>> ready to be steamed. That's how my ex mil did it.

> YES! April is the month of artichokes around here.

They are looking good!

> Your method sounds right. Do you trim the prickers off the tips of the
> leaves? I hatchet off the top 1/3 of a choke then trim the remainder.

Yes, those suckers hurt! Can't imagine leaving them on.

Heh heh, leaving? Get it?

> Dipped in clarified butter, as Mom served it. And as youths we'd fight
> over
> the hearts and then be sent to our room to finish each other off, 'cept
> our
> sister, who always came off like an angel.

I must have done something wrong, I was always the devil.

> Artichokes can't be beat, imho! My favorite vegetable #1!!!
>
> I've grown lazy in my old age and settle for artichoke "bottoms" out of a
> can, but will get my share of the fresh ones from the produce market for
> the short "in season" term.

Yeah, I usually buy them in a jar or in a can, but once in a while I
like the real thing. I go to this one restaurant, a pub type place,
that has steamed artichokes on the menu. I don't see that anywhere
else.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

>> Dipped in clarified butter, as Mom served it. And as youths we'd fight
>> over
>> the hearts and then be sent to our room to finish each other off, 'cept
>> our
>> sister, who always came off like an angel.

> I must have done something wrong, I was always the devil.

I didn't SAY she was an angel!!! Just more often than not it turned out that
way!

Best,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> I go to this one restaurant, a pub type place,
> that has steamed artichokes on the menu. I don't see that anywhere
> else.
>
> nancy

Can I buy you and Ron lunch there, anytime?

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote

> Nancy Young said...
>
>> I go to this one restaurant, a pub type place,
>> that has steamed artichokes on the menu. I don't see that anywhere
>> else.

> Can I buy you and Ron lunch there, anytime?

How nice is that? Thanks.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> "Andy" <q> wrote
>
>> Nancy Young said...
>>
>>> I go to this one restaurant, a pub type place,
>>> that has steamed artichokes on the menu. I don't see that anywhere
>>> else.

>> Can I buy you and Ron lunch there, anytime?

> How nice is that? Thanks.
>
> nancy

Is that a YES?

Andy
--
T2
HBP

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 6, 5:58 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> I don't make them very often, maybe once a year, if that.
> It's been a while. I picked up a couple of nice ones and I'm
> going to stuff them.
>
> I'm partial to the seasoned bread crumbs, garlic and parm
> stuffing, am I missing something? I always just wing it, I
> wonder if there's a glaring omission in my routine.
>
> I do drizzle olive oil over them once they are in the pot,
> ready to be steamed. That's how my ex mil did it.

Living just an hour from Castroville, Kingdom of the Thistle, we make
day trips there regularly.

I much prefer them more-simply prepared: steamed with olive oil
drizzled over the top. I've never understood the draw for stuffing
them. A little dipping sauce or lemon juice to give each leaf a kick
and voy-oh-la good eats!

The Ranger
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> I don't make them very often, maybe once a year, if that.
> It's been a while. I picked up a couple of nice ones and I'm
> going to stuff them.
>
> I'm partial to the seasoned bread crumbs, garlic and parm
> stuffing, am I missing something? I always just wing it, I
> wonder if there's a glaring omission in my routine.
>
> I do drizzle olive oil over them once they are in the pot,
> ready to be steamed. That's how my ex mil did it.
>
> nancy

That's what we always used back home...very occasionally did we add crab
or shrimp.

--
-Gina in Italy

All hail the pizza lord!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy wrote:
> Nancy Young said...
>
>> I don't make them very often, maybe once a year, if that.
>> It's been a while. I picked up a couple of nice ones and I'm
>> going to stuff them.
>>
>> I'm partial to the seasoned bread crumbs, garlic and parm
>> stuffing, am I missing something? I always just wing it, I
>> wonder if there's a glaring omission in my routine.
>>
>> I do drizzle olive oil over them once they are in the pot,
>> ready to be steamed. That's how my ex mil did it.
>>
>> nancy

> nancy,
>
> YES! April is the month of artichokes around here.
>
> Your method sounds right. Do you trim the prickers off the tips of the
> leaves? I hatchet off the top 1/3 of a choke then trim the remainder.
>
> Dipped in clarified butter, as Mom served it. And as youths we'd fight over
> the hearts and then be sent to our room to finish each other off, 'cept our
> sister, who always came off like an angel.
>
> Artichokes can't be beat, imho! My favorite vegetable #1!!!
>
> I've grown lazy in my old age and settle for artichoke "bottoms" out of a
> can, but will get my share of the fresh ones from the produce market for
> the short "in season" term.
>
> Best,
>
> Andy
>
> P.S. Chop, save and peel the stalk! As good as the heart. --A

I loved them as a kid as well. The only kind I've seen for sale
recently are the purplish artichokes...can those be done the same way?

--
-Gina in Italy

All hail the pizza lord!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ravenlynne" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Andy wrote:
>> Nancy Young said...

I'm partial to the seasoned bread crumbs, garlic and parm
>>> stuffing, am I missing something? I always just wing it, I
>>> wonder if there's a glaring omission in my routine.
>>>

>> YES! April is the month of artichokes around here.
>>
>> Your method sounds right. Do you trim the prickers off the tips of the
>> leaves? I hatchet off the top 1/3 of a choke then trim the remainder.
>> P.S. Chop, save and peel the stalk! As good as the heart. --A

> I loved them as a kid as well. The only kind I've seen for sale recently
> are the purplish artichokes...can those be done the same way?
>
> --
> -Gina in Italy

They are generally too small to stuff, but they have no choke so they are
even easier to trim to all edible. Making them au gratin makes them taste
the same as stuffed. The violet ones are particularly nice in vinaigrette,
IMO. Once trimmed they can be sliced and sautéed or even used raw in
salads.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Apr 6, 5:58*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> I'm partial to the seasoned bread crumbs, garlic and parm
> stuffing, am I missing something?

You could add a bit of well crumbled hot Italian sausage to that if
you're going to eat them hot or warm. A lunch place we used to go to
served a nice cold artichoke stuffed with crab salad. Mark Bittmann
said in this week's column in the NYT that the microwave works well
for cooking them but he gave no details and I haven't tried them. I
usually just boil them with a couple lemon slices in the water. -aem
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
aem > wrote:

> On Apr 6, 5:58*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> >
> > I'm partial to the seasoned bread crumbs, garlic and parm
> > stuffing, am I missing something?

> You could add a bit of well crumbled hot Italian sausage to that if
> you're going to eat them hot or warm. A lunch place we used to go to
> served a nice cold artichoke stuffed with crab salad. Mark Bittmann
> said in this week's column in the NYT that the microwave works well
> for cooking them but he gave no details and I haven't tried them. I
> usually just boil them with a couple lemon slices in the water. -aem

I noticed that as well. I sure hope enough folks emailed him so he'll
reveal the details in this week's food section.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 08:58:00 -0400, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>I don't make them very often, maybe once a year, if that.
>It's been a while. I picked up a couple of nice ones and I'm
>going to stuff them.
>
>I'm partial to the seasoned bread crumbs, garlic and parm
>stuffing, am I missing something? I always just wing it, I
>wonder if there's a glaring omission in my routine.
>
>I do drizzle olive oil over them once they are in the pot,
>ready to be steamed. That's how my ex mil did it.

I don't do anything to them except cook them. I'm not a big bread
crumb fan in the first place and they seem totally out of place with
artichokes.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Cindy Fuller > wrote:
>In article
>,
> aem > wrote:
>
>> On Apr 6, 5:58*am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm partial to the seasoned bread crumbs, garlic and parm
>> > stuffing, am I missing something?

>> You could add a bit of well crumbled hot Italian sausage to that if
>> you're going to eat them hot or warm. A lunch place we used to go to
>> served a nice cold artichoke stuffed with crab salad. Mark Bittmann
>> said in this week's column in the NYT that the microwave works well
>> for cooking them but he gave no details and I haven't tried them. I
>> usually just boil them with a couple lemon slices in the water. -aem

>I noticed that as well. I sure hope enough folks emailed him so he'll
>reveal the details in this week's food section.

Wash well and leave a little water in and wrap them up in saran
wrap, a couple of minutes (forget how many, season just restarted
up here again, LOL) on high. You can put a little butter or lemon juice
in that package. But, yes, Mr. Bittman should come through with the
details.

I grew up boiling/steaming them (well, my mom did, during the season -
why, yes, I did grow up in California) and the idea of not having to cook
them for an hour was a revelation. D'OH.

The idea of stuffing them seems like gilding the lily - is that the crowns
only? Definitely in the "too much of a good thing is wonderful"
department.

In my family we had "butter vs. mayo" camps. Butter all the way for
me. Then one day my ex decided to cook some up and he served them with
viniagrette. It's all good.

The Italian deli of my local choice (hi Serene) sells deep fried baby
artichokes, which was a new but good thing to me even growing up near
artichoke-land. Oh man those are good. (For years I thought the golden
balls were some sort of Italian pastry, till I asked.)

Charlotte
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 Apr 2008 12:29:00 -0700 (PDT), aem >
wrote:

> Mark Bittmann
>said in this week's column in the NYT that the microwave works well
>for cooking them but he gave no details and I haven't tried them.

Yes, the microwave *does* work. Trim (of course) and microwave upside
down, covered. Use a sharp knife or a fork to test for doneness.

>I usually just boil them with a couple lemon slices in the water. -aem

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smile first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..
>I don't make them very often, maybe once a year, if that.
> It's been a while. I picked up a couple of nice ones and I'm
> going to stuff them.
>
> I'm partial to the seasoned bread crumbs, garlic and parm
> stuffing, am I missing something? I always just wing it, I
> wonder if there's a glaring omission in my routine.
>
> I do drizzle olive oil over them once they are in the pot,
> ready to be steamed. That's how my ex mil did it.

They have arrived in full force here to. We are only about 100 miles from
Castroville too and we will be partaking in the artichoke festival. I got
beautiful artichokes for $1 a piece yesterday and they will be accompanying
ribeyes and a salad for tomorrow night's supper. Just about any way you fix
an artichoke is a good way.

Hope you enjoyed them whatever you did with them.

Cindi

> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindi - HappyMamatoThree" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I'm partial to the seasoned bread crumbs, garlic and parm
>> stuffing, am I missing something? I always just wing it, I
>> wonder if there's a glaring omission in my routine.
>>
>> I do drizzle olive oil over them once they are in the pot,
>> ready to be steamed. That's how my ex mil did it.

> They have arrived in full force here to. We are only about 100 miles from
> Castroville too and we will be partaking in the artichoke festival. I got
> beautiful artichokes for $1 a piece yesterday and they will be
> accompanying ribeyes and a salad for tomorrow night's supper. Just about
> any way you fix an artichoke is a good way.
>
> Hope you enjoyed them whatever you did with them.

Thanks, Cindi, and everyone else. I somehow got jammed up timewise
and just made them the way I said, although I used granulated garlic.
I don't know where the day went. They came out great and it was a
feast. Maybe I'll make them again while they are in season.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

NO No No! you should not eat these very toxic plants. They should
especially not be consumed by those who are elderly, have immune
diseases or children. They like tomatoes, eggplant and most potatoes
should never be eaten by anyone.
Kilty

> I don't make them very often, maybe once a year, if that.
> It's been a while. I picked up a couple of nice ones and I'm
> going to stuff them.
>
> I'm partial to the seasoned bread crumbs, garlic and parm
> stuffing, am I missing something? I always just wing it, I
> wonder if there's a glaring omission in my routine.
>
> I do drizzle olive oil over them once they are in the pot,
> ready to be steamed. That's how my ex mil did it.
>
> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Artichokes are toxic to human beings. How or why anyone would eat them
defies contemplation.
It is horrible that they are sold in the open market. No child, no
person with immune diseases or the elderly should ever eat them.
Think of them as another poisonous plant like rhubarb and tomatoes.
Robert

Nancy Young wrote:
> I don't make them very often, maybe once a year, if that.
> It's been a while. I picked up a couple of nice ones and I'm
> going to stuff them.
>
> I'm partial to the seasoned bread crumbs, garlic and parm
> stuffing, am I missing something? I always just wing it, I
> wonder if there's a glaring omission in my routine.
>
> I do drizzle olive oil over them once they are in the pot,
> ready to be steamed. That's how my ex mil did it.
>
> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilty wrote:
> NO No No! you should not eat these very toxic plants. They should
> especially not be consumed by those who are elderly, have immune
> diseases or children. They like tomatoes, eggplant and most potatoes
> should never be eaten by anyone.

I'll take your share.

Serene
Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilty wrote:
> Artichokes are toxic to human beings. How or why anyone would eat them
> defies contemplation.
> It is horrible that they are sold in the open market. No child, no
> person with immune diseases or the elderly should ever eat them.
> Think of them as another poisonous plant like rhubarb and tomatoes.

Whether it's meant to be funny or not, I just love stuff like this. I
didn't find anything on artichokes on Snopes, but I did find:

http://www.gordonresearch.com/Presen...r_disease.html

"Milk thistle is not the only member of the thistle family to come to
the aid of the liver. If you like artichokes, you are in luck. While few
American doctors consider artichoke a medical herb, European doctors
regularly prescribe artichoke extracts to patients with liver problems.
In fact, they have been using artichoke to treat jaundice and other
liver complaints since as far back as the eighteenth century."

And:

http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag99/july99-report3.html

"Artichoke extract is one of the few phytopharmaceuticals whose
experiential and clinical effects have been confirmed to a great extent
by bio-medical research. Its major active components have been
identified, as have some of its mechanisms of action in the human body.
In particular, antioxidant, liver-protective, bile-enhancing and
lipid-lowering effects have been demonstrated, which correspond well
with the historical use of the plant. More research is needed to
determine in detail the mechanisms of action for these effects. However,
there appears to be evidence enough to suggest a potential role for
artichoke extract in some areas where modern medicine does not have much
to offer."

Of course, finding something on the Internet doesn't make it true, but I
thought it was interesting.

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ah! but let is be known and said that those who used these plants as
medicine in the 18th century have all died...thus proving the toxicity
of the plants.

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> kilty wrote:
>> Artichokes are toxic to human beings. How or why anyone would eat
>> them defies contemplation.
>> It is horrible that they are sold in the open market. No child, no
>> person with immune diseases or the elderly should ever eat them.
>> Think of them as another poisonous plant like rhubarb and tomatoes.

> Whether it's meant to be funny or not, I just love stuff like this. I
> didn't find anything on artichokes on Snopes, but I did find:
>

> http://www.gordonresearch.com/Presen...r_disease.html
>

> "Milk thistle is not the only member of the thistle family to come to
> the aid of the liver. If you like artichokes, you are in luck. While few
> American doctors consider artichoke a medical herb, European doctors
> regularly prescribe artichoke extracts to patients with liver problems.
> In fact, they have been using artichoke to treat jaundice and other
> liver complaints since as far back as the eighteenth century."
>

> And:
>

> http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag99/july99-report3.html
>

> "Artichoke extract is one of the few phytopharmaceuticals whose
> experiential and clinical effects have been confirmed to a great extent
> by bio-medical research. Its major active components have been
> identified, as have some of its mechanisms of action in the human body.
> In particular, antioxidant, liver-protective, bile-enhancing and
> lipid-lowering effects have been demonstrated, which correspond well
> with the historical use of the plant. More research is needed to
> determine in detail the mechanisms of action for these effects. However,
> there appears to be evidence enough to suggest a potential role for
> artichoke extract in some areas where modern medicine does not have much
> to offer."
>

> Of course, finding something on the Internet doesn't make it true, but I
> thought it was interesting.
>

> --Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:
> They are generally too small to stuff, but they have no choke so they are
> even easier to trim to all edible. Making them au gratin makes them taste
> the same as stuffed. The violet ones are particularly nice in vinaigrette,
> IMO. Once trimmed they can be sliced and sautéed or even used raw in
> salads.

Thanks :-)

--
-Gina in Italy

All hail the pizza lord!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Serene Sprat wrote:
> kilty wrote:
>> NO No No! you should not eat these very toxic plants. They should
>> especially not be consumed by those who are elderly, have immune
>> diseases or children. They like tomatoes, eggplant and most potatoes
>> should never be eaten by anyone.

> I'll take your share.
>
> Serene

HAHA! I was going to say the same thing.

--
-Gina in Italy

All hail the pizza lord!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
ravenlynne > wrote:
>Serene Sprat wrote:
>> kilty wrote:
>>> NO No No! you should not eat these very toxic plants. They should
>>> especially not be consumed by those who are elderly, have immune
>>> diseases or children. They like tomatoes, eggplant and most potatoes
>>> should never be eaten by anyone.

>> I'll take your share.
>>
>> Serene

>HAHA! I was going to say the same thing.

I was thinking the punchline from the OP would be something like "here,
give them to me, I'll protect you". (once out of earshot: NOM NOM NOM)

My SIL was raised in the middle of Illinois. She did not eat artichokes
growing up; indeed, had not seen one before she moved to California. The
first time my brother fixed them for her, he told her the choke was not
very tasty (after she had done all the work with the leaves) but he
would finish it out of the goodness of his heart.

(He did come clean later.

Charlotte

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilty" > wrote

> NO No No! you should not eat these very toxic plants. They should
> especially not be consumed by those who are elderly, have immune diseases
> or children. They like tomatoes, eggplant and most potatoes should never
> be eaten by anyone.

Okay, here it is morning, no symptoms yet, but thanks for the
warning! Heh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

kilikini wrote:
> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>>

>> http://www.gordonresearch.com/Presen...r_disease.html
>>

>> "Milk thistle is not the only member of the thistle family to come to
>> the aid of the liver. If you like artichokes, you are in luck. While
>> few American doctors consider artichoke a medical herb, European
>> doctors regularly prescribe artichoke extracts to patients with liver
>> problems. In fact, they have been using artichoke to treat jaundice
>> and other liver complaints since as far back as the eighteenth
>> century."
>>
>> And:
>>

>> http://www.lef.org/magazine/mag99/july99-report3.html
>>

>> "Artichoke extract is one of the few phytopharmaceuticals whose
>> experiential and clinical effects have been confirmed to a great
>> extent by bio-medical research. Its major active components have been
>> identified, as have some of its mechanisms of action in the human
>> body. In particular, antioxidant, liver-protective, bile-enhancing
>> and lipid-lowering effects have been demonstrated, which correspond
>> well with the historical use of the plant. More research is needed to
>> determine in detail the mechanisms of action for these effects.
>> However, there appears to be evidence enough to suggest a potential
>> role for artichoke extract in some areas where modern medicine does
>> not have much to offer."
>>

>> Of course, finding something on the Internet doesn't make it true,
>> but I thought it was interesting.
>>

>> --Lia

> It would make sense that the artichoke would be good for the liver
> because it's related to the milk thistle. I take milk thistle
> supplements daily; I wonder if they have artichoke supplements, too? I'm
> going to have to look for them! Thanks for researching this, Lia.
>
> kili

I'll bet artichokes are cheaper than the supplements (if there is such a
thing) would be, and much more fun

Jill

my artichokes Gill Smith General Cooking 25 26-01-2011 05:57 PM
Artichokes Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 0 22-06-2010 05:34 AM
Artichokes serene General Cooking 38 16-01-2007 06:02 PM
Artichokes Debbie General Cooking 13 03-07-2005 05:16 AM
Artichokes.. archergirl General Cooking 23 12-02-2005 06:44 PM