Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Twinkie, Deconstructed

http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8345120

[Author] Ettlinger traversed the country and hopped the globe, touring
plants, mines and refineries to find the actual origins of the almost
unpronounceable ingredients used to make Twinkies.

"To complement the author's talk, chefs at Google prepared organic versions
of Twinkies for the event, using locally-raised or procured products to make
the almond-flavored, cream-filled pastries."

Someone please tell me, are Twinkies really supposed to taste like almonds?
I don't remember that but then I haven't eaten one in nearly 40 years

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 27, 6:31 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8345120
>
> Someone please tell me, are Twinkies really supposed to taste like almonds?
> I don't remember that but then I haven't eaten one in nearly 40 years
>
> Jill

Hmmmmm. 20 maybe 25 years for me, but I seem to remember a sweet
taste with a faint chemical undertone that might suggest almonds. I
do remember the experts' comments at the last Twinkie Tasting, how the
preservatives were well-balanced and did not hinder the mouth-feel for
those who liked sweet mush.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8345120
>
> [Author] Ettlinger traversed the country and hopped the globe, touring
> plants, mines and refineries to find the actual origins of the almost
> unpronounceable ingredients used to make Twinkies.
>
> "To complement the author's talk, chefs at Google prepared organic versions
> of Twinkies for the event, using locally-raised or procured products to make
> the almond-flavored, cream-filled pastries."
>
> Someone please tell me, are Twinkies really supposed to taste like almonds?
> I don't remember that but then I haven't eaten one in nearly 40 years

Good question Jill. I haven't had one in more than 40 years either. I thought
they were disgusting. My recollection is that the cake was like a very dark
Devils food chocolate with a cloying sweet chocolate icing and a phoney cream
filling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8345120
>>
>> [Author] Ettlinger traversed the country and hopped the globe,
>> touring plants, mines and refineries to find the actual origins of
>> the almost unpronounceable ingredients used to make Twinkies.
>>
>> "To complement the author's talk, chefs at Google prepared organic
>> versions of Twinkies for the event, using locally-raised or procured
>> products to make the almond-flavored, cream-filled pastries."
>>
>> Someone please tell me, are Twinkies really supposed to taste like
>> almonds? I don't remember that but then I haven't eaten one in
>> nearly 40 years
>>

> Good question Jill. I haven't had one in more than 40 years either. I
> thought they were disgusting. My recollection is that the cake was
> like a very dark Devils food chocolate with a cloying sweet chocolate
> icing and a phoney cream filling.

That isn't a Twinkie -- Twinkie is a yellow sponge cake with a cream
filling. You are describing a Hostess cupcake.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Good question Jill. I haven't had one in more than 40 years either. I thought
> they were disgusting. My recollection is that the cake was like a very dark
> Devils food chocolate with a cloying sweet chocolate icing and a phoney cream
> filling.

Twinkies are yellow sponge cake with a cream filling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twinkie

It has been a long time since I had one too. I don't recall an almond
taste.

-Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet Bostwick wrote:

> > Good question Jill. I haven't had one in more than 40 years either. I
> > thought they were disgusting. My recollection is that the cake was
> > like a very dark Devils food chocolate with a cloying sweet chocolate
> > icing and a phoney cream filling.

> That isn't a Twinkie -- Twinkie is a yellow sponge cake with a cream
> filling. You are describing a Hostess cupcake.

I stand corrected, but equally disgusted. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"stark" > wrote in message
> On Feb 27, 6:31 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8345120
>>
>> Someone please tell me, are Twinkies really supposed to taste like
>> almonds?
>> I don't remember that but then I haven't eaten one in nearly 40 years
>>
>> Jill

> Hmmmmm. 20 maybe 25 years for me, but I seem to remember a sweet
> taste with a faint chemical undertone that might suggest almonds. I
> do remember the experts' comments at the last Twinkie Tasting, how the
> preservatives were well-balanced and did not hinder the mouth-feel for
> those who liked sweet mush.

I actually got a Twinkies cookbook for Christmas. EWWWWWW gross. They tell
you how to make Twinkie Sushi in it! I think I finally found the cookbook I
neither want nor need.
-ginny

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia wrote on Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:43:49 -0500:

VT> "stark" > wrote in message

??>> On Feb 27, 6:31 am, "jmcquown" >
wrote:
??>>> http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8345120
??>>>
??>>> Someone please tell me, are Twinkies really supposed to
??>>> taste like almonds? I don't remember that but then I
??>>> haven't eaten one in nearly 40 years
??>>>
??>>> Jill
??>>
??>> Hmmmmm. 20 maybe 25 years for me, but I seem to remember
??>> a sweet taste with a faint chemical undertone that might
??>> suggest almonds. I do remember the experts' comments at
??>> the last Twinkie Tasting, how the preservatives were
??>> well-balanced and did not hinder the mouth-feel for those
??>> who liked sweet mush.

Now that's a matter of complete indifference to me. Twinkies'
main use is as a defense against a murder charge!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8345120
>
> [Author] Ettlinger traversed the country and hopped the globe, touring
> plants, mines and refineries to find the actual origins of the almost
> unpronounceable ingredients used to make Twinkies.
>
> "To complement the author's talk, chefs at Google prepared organic
> versions of Twinkies for the event, using locally-raised or procured
> products to make the almond-flavored, cream-filled pastries."
>
> Someone please tell me, are Twinkies really supposed to taste like
> almonds? I don't remember that but then I haven't eaten one in nearly 40
> years

That's one food I have never eaten, so I don't know what they should taste
like.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> jmcquown wrote:
>
>> http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8345120
>>
>> [Author] Ettlinger traversed the country and hopped the globe, touring
>> plants, mines and refineries to find the actual origins of the almost
>> unpronounceable ingredients used to make Twinkies.
>>
>> "To complement the author's talk, chefs at Google prepared organic
>> versions
>> of Twinkies for the event, using locally-raised or procured products to
>> make
>> the almond-flavored, cream-filled pastries."
>>
>> Someone please tell me, are Twinkies really supposed to taste like
>> almonds?
>> I don't remember that but then I haven't eaten one in nearly 40 years
>>

> Good question Jill. I haven't had one in more than 40 years either. I
> thought
> they were disgusting. My recollection is that the cake was like a very
> dark
> Devils food chocolate with a cloying sweet chocolate icing and a phoney
> cream
> filling.

Twinkies are yellowish white with no icing, They do have a creamy filling.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>

>> > Good question Jill. I haven't had one in more than 40 years either. I
>> > thought they were disgusting. My recollection is that the cake was
>> > like a very dark Devils food chocolate with a cloying sweet chocolate
>> > icing and a phoney cream filling.

>> That isn't a Twinkie -- Twinkie is a yellow sponge cake with a cream
>> filling. You are describing a Hostess cupcake.
>>

> I stand corrected, but equally disgusted. :-)

My mom used to buy those cupcakes for me. I would carefully try to bite off
the white icing swirl and only that. I wouldn't eat any of the rest of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 04:54:34 -0800 (PST), stark
> wrote:

>On Feb 27, 6:31 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8345120
>>
>> Someone please tell me, are Twinkies really supposed to taste like almonds?
>> I don't remember that but then I haven't eaten one in nearly 40 years
>>
>> Jill

>Hmmmmm. 20 maybe 25 years for me, but I seem to remember a sweet
>taste with a faint chemical undertone that might suggest almonds. I
>do remember the experts' comments at the last Twinkie Tasting, how the
>preservatives were well-balanced and did not hinder the mouth-feel for
>those who liked sweet mush.

it's the subtle flavor-note of cyanide.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote

> Now that's a matter of complete indifference to me. Twinkies' main use is
> as a defense against a murder charge!

lol

I remember that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Kat" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 07:31:26 -0500, "jmcquown" >
> wrote:
>
>>http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8345120
>>
>>[Author] Ettlinger traversed the country and hopped the globe, touring
>>plants, mines and refineries to find the actual origins of the almost
>>unpronounceable ingredients used to make Twinkies.
>>
>>"To complement the author's talk, chefs at Google prepared organic
>>versions
>>of Twinkies for the event, using locally-raised or procured products to
>>make
>>the almond-flavored, cream-filled pastries."
>>
>>Someone please tell me, are Twinkies really supposed to taste like
>>almonds?
>>I don't remember that but then I haven't eaten one in nearly 40 years

> Yes, they've claimed an almond taste for MANY years.
>
> But you can NOT call a lard and sugar mixture 'cream' in MY book!

Ohhh grossssss! Jill eating a twinkie: "The unspeakable consuming the
inedible."
(Apologies to O.W.)

Take a lesson, Greg. Grow some wit, boy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:39:00 -0500, cybercat wrote:

> "James Silverton" > wrote
>>
>> Now that's a matter of complete indifference to me. Twinkies' main use is
>> as a defense against a murder charge!
>>

> lol
>
> I remember that.

It's one of my sigs.

-sw
--
Dan White shot and killed SF Mayor George Moscone and
Supervisor Harvey Milk, but was only found guilty of

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:55:28 GMT, blake murphy wrote:

>>On Feb 27, 6:31 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>> http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8345120
>>>
>>> Someone please tell me, are Twinkies really supposed to taste like almonds?
>>> I don't remember that but then I haven't eaten one in nearly 40 years

> it's the subtle flavor-note of cyanide.

Burnt Almond. I hear Durkee makes a great tasting concentrate.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:22:48 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:

> Good question Jill. I haven't had one in more than 40 years either. I thought
> they were disgusting. My recollection is that the cake was like a very dark
> Devils food chocolate with a cloying sweet chocolate icing and a phoney cream
> filling.

Someone's way out of touch. I havent' had one for 30 years, but
I think everyone in America can tell the difference between a
Twinkie and a Hostess Cupcake.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:04:38 GMT, Julie Bove wrote:

> Twinkies are yellowish white with no icing, They do have a creamy filling.

Which used to be banana cream flavored. They brought it back
recently for the King Kong promotion.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:04:38 GMT, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Twinkies are yellowish white with no icing, They do have a creamy
>> filling.

> Which used to be banana cream flavored. They brought it back
> recently for the King Kong promotion.

heh. Steve Wertz, Twinkie Historian.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:04:38 GMT, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Twinkies are yellowish white with no icing, They do have a creamy
>> filling.

> Which used to be banana cream flavored. They brought it back
> recently for the King Kong promotion.

Yes. Now that you said it, I do remember reading or hearing or seeing that
somewhere. I think they had to change the filling due to a banana shortage
during the war or some such thing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Someone please tell me, are Twinkies really supposed to taste like
> almonds? I don't remember that but then I haven't eaten one in nearly
> 40 years

I don't know, I thought vanilla. I never really cared for Twinkies.
Now, Ding Dongs are a whole 'nother thing.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> But you can NOT call a lard and sugar mixture 'cream' in MY book!

With over 500 million sold each year, I doubt that Hostess bakery
could afford to use lard. It is expensive!
With the outrage of using lard at McDonalds, I also doubt they could
GET away using lard.

.....but is sure does make flaky pastry...Grandma taught me that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:38:17 -0500, cybercat wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:04:38 GMT, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>> Twinkies are yellowish white with no icing, They do have a creamy
>>> filling.

>> Which used to be banana cream flavored. They brought it back
>> recently for the King Kong promotion.
>>

> heh. Steve Wertz, Twinkie Historian.

I had a 12 or 13-year old unwrapped Twinkie until a couple years
ago. The holes where they inject the "cream" into the bottom of
the cake were still moist.

Somebody stole it.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 04:54:34 -0800 (PST), stark
> > wrote:
>
>>On Feb 27, 6:31 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>>> http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8345120
>>>
>>> Someone please tell me, are Twinkies really supposed to taste like
>>> almonds? I don't remember that but then I haven't eaten one in nearly
>>> 40 years
>>>
>>> Jill

>>Hmmmmm. 20 maybe 25 years for me, but I seem to remember a sweet taste
>>with a faint chemical undertone that might suggest almonds. I do
>>remember the experts' comments at the last Twinkie Tasting, how the
>>preservatives were well-balanced and did not hinder the mouth-feel for
>>those who liked sweet mush.

> it's the subtle flavor-note of cyanide.

I will here note that within the last year, I have not once, but *twice*,
had a *deep fried* Twinkie. A BBQ joint I at which I occasionally eat has
them on the menu; I think it's their only dessert; at least it's their
only dessert of note. A friend and I split one one day while under the
influence of an excessive What-The-Hell Moment. It was indeed deep fried,
and presented with confectioners sugar liberally sprinkled over it and
then a drizzle of raspberry syrup. It was actually pretty tasty. So, of
course, when my best pal and I went there the next time, I got one for us,
just for the sake busting his fried-Twinkie cherry.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 27, 10:55 am, blake murphy > wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 04:54:34 -0800 (PST), stark
>
> > wrote:
> >On Feb 27, 6:31 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> >>http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8345120

> >> Someone please tell me, are Twinkies really supposed to taste like almonds?
> >> I don't remember that but then I haven't eaten one in nearly 40 years

> >> Jill

> >Hmmmmm. 20 maybe 25 years for me, but I seem to remember a sweet
> >taste with a faint chemical undertone that might suggest almonds. I
> >do remember the experts' comments at the last Twinkie Tasting, how the
> >preservatives were well-balanced and did not hinder the mouth-feel for
> >those who liked sweet mush.

> it's the subtle flavor-note of cyanide.

Then there's the real poison, loads of partially hydrogenated veg oil.

> your pal,
> blake

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 18:49:59 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:38:17 -0500, cybercat wrote:

>>> Which used to be banana cream flavored. They brought it back
>>> recently for the King Kong promotion.
>>>

>> heh. Steve Wertz, Twinkie Historian.

>I had a 12 or 13-year old unwrapped Twinkie until a couple years
>ago. The holes where they inject the "cream" into the bottom of
>the cake were still moist.
>
>Somebody stole it.
>
>-sw

were dan white's whereabouts known at the time?

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 20:48:01 -0800 (PST), "Bobo Bonobo®"
> wrote:

>On Feb 27, 10:55 am, blake murphy > wrote:
>> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 04:54:34 -0800 (PST), stark
>>
>> > wrote:

>> >Hmmmmm. 20 maybe 25 years for me, but I seem to remember a sweet
>> >taste with a faint chemical undertone that might suggest almonds. I
>> >do remember the experts' comments at the last Twinkie Tasting, how the
>> >preservatives were well-balanced and did not hinder the mouth-feel for
>> >those who liked sweet mush.

>> it's the subtle flavor-note of cyanide.
>>

>Then there's the real poison, loads of partially hydrogenated veg oil.

another county heard from.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 19:29:44 GMT, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:22:48 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> Good question Jill. I haven't had one in more than 40 years either. I thought
>> they were disgusting. My recollection is that the cake was like a very dark
>> Devils food chocolate with a cloying sweet chocolate icing and a phoney cream
>> filling.

>Someone's way out of touch. I havent' had one for 30 years, but
>I think everyone in America can tell the difference between a
>Twinkie and a Hostess Cupcake.
>
>-sw

cupcakes have tits. or at least my favorite kind does.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 19:29:44 GMT, Sqwertz >
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 09:22:48 -0500, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> Good question Jill. I haven't had one in more than 40 years either. I
>>> thought
>>> they were disgusting. My recollection is that the cake was like a very
>>> dark
>>> Devils food chocolate with a cloying sweet chocolate icing and a phoney
>>> cream
>>> filling.

>>Someone's way out of touch. I havent' had one for 30 years, but
>>I think everyone in America can tell the difference between a
>>Twinkie and a Hostess Cupcake.
>>
>>-sw

> cupcakes have tits. or at least my favorite kind does.

I must protest this demeaning and objectifying way to refer
to young women!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> jmcquown wrote:
> http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8345120
>
> [Author] Ettlinger traversed the country and hopped the globe,

touring
> plants, mines and refineries to find the actual origins of the

almost
> unpronounceable ingredients used to make Twinkies.
>
> "To complement the author's talk, chefs at Google prepared

organic versions
> of Twinkies for the event, using locally-raised or procured

products to make
> the almond-flavored, cream-filled pastries."
>
> Someone please tell me, are Twinkies really supposed to taste like

almonds?
> I don't remember that but then I haven't eaten one in nearly 40

years

> Jill

I think the original Twinkies are better left unaltered. I don't
think they were ever intended to be healthy. My best friend's
grandfather actually invented the twinkie recipe- I doubt he was
trying to make an organic almond cake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> http://www.contracostatimes.com/ci_8345120
>
> [Author] Ettlinger traversed the country and hopped the globe, touring
> plants, mines and refineries to find the actual origins of the almost
> unpronounceable ingredients used to make Twinkies.
>
> "To complement the author's talk, chefs at Google prepared organic versions
> of Twinkies for the event, using locally-raised or procured products to make
> the almond-flavored, cream-filled pastries."
>
> Someone please tell me, are Twinkies really supposed to taste like almonds?
> I don't remember that but then I haven't eaten one in nearly 40 years
>
> Jill

Dunno about the Twinkies...they've always tasted like petroleum
products!

But the book is very good and quite entertaining.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 11:47:47 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 19:29:44 GMT, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>>Someone's way out of touch. I havent' had one for 30 years, but
>>>I think everyone in America can tell the difference between a
>>>Twinkie and a Hostess Cupcake.
>>>
>>>-sw

>> cupcakes have tits. or at least my favorite kind does.
>>

>I must protest this demeaning and objectifying way to refer
>to young women!

you'd best come over and slap me.

your pal,
blake