Right Across Left Hook Combo

Default is acorn edible?

i tried one. it was bitter. yuck.
jmcquown

Right Across Left Hook Combo wrote:
> i tried one. it was bitter. yuck.

Squirrels certainly like them! But seriously, North American Indians often
used acorns to make a flour. Check this web-site for details:

http://www.yvwiiusdinvnohii.net/NAIFood/acorns.htm

Here are a few of the recipes posted the

Acorn Stew
To make stew, you will need the following:

1 lb stewing beef
1/2 C finely ground acorn meal (tannin removed)
Salt and pepper to taste

Place beef in heavy pan and add water to cover. Cover with lid and simmer
until very tender. Remove from liquid and cut meat into very fine pieces.
Return meat to the liquid. Stir in the acorn meal. Add salt and pepper as
desired. Heat until thickened and serve.

Here is a modern Acorn Bread recipe from the book "Cooking with Spirit, -
North American Indian Food and Fact", By Darcy Williamson and Lisa Railsback
Copyright 1987 by Darcy Williamson. Published by Maverick Publications,
Drawer 5007, Bend, Oregon 97701.

Acorn Bread

To make bread, you will need the following:

6 Tbl. cornmeal
1/2 C cold water
1 C boiling water
1 tsp sale
1 Tbl butter
1 pkg active dry yeast
1/4 C lukewarm water
1 C mashed potatoes
2 C all-purpose flour
2 C finely ground leached acorn meal

Mix cornmeal with cold water, add boiling water and cook 2 minutes, stirring
constantly. Add sale and butter and cool to lukewarm. Soften yeast in
lukewarm water. Add remaining ingredients to corn mixture, along with yeast.
Knead to a stiff dough. Dough will be sticky. Cover and let rise in warm
place until doubled in bulk. Punch down, shape into two loaves, cover and
let rise until doubled in bulk. Bake at 375 degrees F for 45 minutes.

Jill

Charlene Charette

Right Across Left Hook Combo wrote:
> i tried one. it was bitter. yuck.

http://www.edibleplants.com/month/oak.htm

--Charlene

--
THE COW
The cow is of the bovine ilk;

--

email perronnelle at earthlink . net

Mr. Wizard

"Right Across Left Hook Combo" > wrote in
message om...
> i tried one. it was bitter. yuck.

My dog is crazy about them.
She will eat two or three when we go for a walk and
seems to pick through them. Perhaps some taste
good and some taste bad and her nose can segregate them.

Tim Challenger

On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 22:25:03 -0500, jmcquown wrote:

> Squirrels certainly like them! But seriously, North American Indians often
> used acorns to make a flour. Check this web-site for details:

They were ground and used as a coffee substitute in Germany during WWII.

To remove the bitter chemicals, just soak them for around 24 hours in water
(keep changing the water until it doesn't colour anymore).
Then you can either roast&grind them for coffee, or puree as abasis for
vegetable pates and dips etc.
I must admit I've never tried them myself.

--
Tim.

If the human brain were simple enough that we could understand it, we would
be so simple that we couldn't.

WardNA

>i tried one. it was bitter. yuck.

You have to grind them up, boil them in water to remove the bitter tanins, and
strain them. Then they taste fine; a bit bland, though.

Neil
LIMEYNO1

Acorns are very high in tannin. They have to be prepared properly for use.
Check this site.

http://www.foodreference.com/html/facorns.html

--
Helen

Thanks be unto God for His wonderful gift:
Jesus Christ, the only begotten Son of God
is the object of our faith; the only faith that
saves is faith in Him

<><
www.peagramfamily.com
http://www.mompeagram.homestead.com/

225/205/145
"Right Across Left Hook Combo" > wrote in
message om...
> i tried one. it was bitter. yuck.

Gypsy-go-lightly

> i tried one. it was bitter. yuck.

that's cuz of the tannic acid content. you CAN make cookies and breads from
acorns as well as other goodies...below are some, as well the "how to" of
taking care of that tannic acid:

Acorn

To Shell:
Acorns are best shelled with a nutcracker or a pair of pliers. Simply grip
each nut the long way and pinch, then grip it the short way and pinch.
Presto!
Out pops the clean, white kernel.

To Grind:
Put a cup of shelled acorns in a blender, fill the blender's container up
with
water and whiz away at high speed for a minute or two.

To Leach:
Pour the acorn pulp into a dish towel lined colander. Place the colander
under slow running water and work the pulp around with your hand for about
five
minutes. The water now runs clear. Taste the meal. If bitter, continue
rinsing. The meal should taste rather bland. Press out the excess liquid
and
store in the refrigerator or freeze until ready to use.

To Use:
The possibilities are endless! Add acorn meal to mush, stew, or soup. Use
it in turkey dressing. Substitute acorn meal for corn meal or use it to
replace part of the flour called for by your favorite bread, cake or cookie
recipe. If you do substitute, cut down a bit on the usual amount of liquid
and
shortening, as the acorn meal is high in both vegetable oil and water

ACORN POUND CAKE:

1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup acorn meal
1/8 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1/4 tsp. soda
1/4 cup of milk
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla

Blend sugar, eggs and acorn meal together in a bowl. In another
bowl, sift salt cream of tartar and soda Stir the second mixture into the
first (a small amount at a time) alternately with milk. Add vanilla and
beat
well. Pour into an
oiled and floured circular pan (8 inch in diameter) and bake at 350 : for
about
1 hour. No need to make frosting
======================================

Acorn Bread
Acorn Snacks
Acorn Coffee

Acorn Bread

1 cup Acorn meal
1 cup Flour
2 Tbsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt
3 Tbsp Sugar
1 Egg, beaten
1 cup Milk
3 Tbsp Oil

Sift together, acorn meal, white flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. In
separate bowl, mix together egg, milk, and oil. Combine dry ingredients and
liquid ingredients. Stir just enough to moisten dry ingredients. Pour into a
greased pan and bake at 400F. for 30 minutes.

Acorn Snacks

3 cups water
4 large garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup lemon juice
6-8 Tbsp curry powder
1 heaping Qt (already processed to get the tannins out) ACORNS
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp seasoned salt

Boil 2 1/2 cups water. while this boils put another 1/2 cup of water in
blender
w/ garlic, lemon juice, and 1/4 cup curry powder. Blend till smooth. Add
this
to boiling water along w/ acorns. simmer for 5 minutes.drain acorns and in
baking dish, mix them w/ olive oil, salt, and the rest of the curry powder.
Roast at 300 for 45-90 min. stirring often, till acorns are dry and well
roasted, but not hard.

Acorn Coffee
acorns
cracked wheat
water

Select plump, round, sweet acorns. Shell and brown in oven. Grind
in a coffee mill and use as ordinary coffee.
Hull out a half cup of small acorns. Add a half cup cracked wheat.
Mix. Roast in your oven. Pound in a mortar. Boil with water to
get your coffee. Add honey, molasses, or brown sugar to sweeten.
Acorn Meal
Acorn Bread
Acorn Stew
Acorn Griddle Cakes

Acorn Meal

Acorns
Water

Make meal by grinding dry, raw acorn kernels (after shelling). Mix with
boiling water and press out liquid through a cheesecloth. With very bitter
acorns, repeat this process several times. Spread meal on a tray and
thoroughly dry in oven at 250F.
This meal will cake during the drying process. Regrind using a food chopper.
Then, seal in containers, preferably glass jars.

Note: All acorns contain tannic acid or tannin. This is what causes the
bitter taste, the same as the soft brown lining in pecans that we have all
tasted if we have cracked open pecans and eaten them raw. The white oak
family has less tannin than the black oak family. The white oak family
acorns I have tried are White Oak, Burr Oak, and Club Oak. There are many
varieties. White oaks have rounded leaves. Black oaks have pointed leaves.
Squirrels go for white oak acorns first. They're not dumb. They don't like
the tannin either. Black oak acorns will make you pucker up just like eating
unripe persimmons.

Acorn Bread

1 cup Acorn meal
1 cup Flour
2 Tbsp Baking powder
1/2 tsp Salt
3 Tbsp Sugar
1 Egg, beaten
1 cup Milk
3 Tbsp Oil

Sift together, acorn meal, white flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. In
separate bowl, mix together egg, milk, and oil. Combine dry ingredients and
liquid ingredients. Stir just enough to moisten dry ingredients. Pour into a
greased pan and bake at 400F. for 30 minutes.

Acorn Stew

2 1/2 lb Stew meat, cubed
1 1/2 qt Water, or more as needed
2 large Onions, coarsely chopped
-Salt and pepper to taste
2 3 pounds acorns (enough to make 1 cup of acorn meal)

Place meat into a pot with water and onions. Bring to boil, reduce heat and
simmer for 3-4 hours or until meat is very tender. Add more water if
necessary. There should be about 3 cups of broth when meat has been cooked.
Add salt and pepper to taste, and keep the stew warm. Shell the acorns and
grind them in food processor or blender into a very fine meal. With a
slotted spoon remove the meat and onions from the pot and place into a glass
bowl. Add the acorn meal to the broth and blend well. Bring the broth to
boil;
pour it
over the meat mixture and blend well. Adjust seasoning by adding more salt
and pepper if desired. Serve immediately with Indian Fry Bread.

Serves 6.

Acorn Griddle Cakes

2/3 cup finely ground leached acorn meal
1/3 cup unbleached flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/3 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp honey
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
3 Tbsp melted butter

Combine dry ingredients. Mix together egg and milk, then beat into dry
ingredients, forming a smooth batter. Add butter. Drop batter onto hot,
greased griddle. Bake, turning each cake when it is browned on underside and
puffed and slightly set on top. Makes 12 to 15.
Traditional Venison Acorn Stew
Acorn Stew
Acorn Bread
Acorn Griddle Cakes
Acorn Mush

Traditional Venison Acorn Stew

2 lbs venison, cut up
1 Cup finely ground acorn meal

Cover venison with water in pot or basket; Add hot rocks to simmer
until meat almost falls apart. Remove meat from broth and chop into
fine pieces. Return to pot with liquid and stir in acorn meal. Serve
hot.

Acorn Stew

1 lb stewing beef
1/2 cup finely ground acorn meal (tannin removed)
Salt and pepper to taste

Place beef in heavy pan and add water to cover. Cover with lid and
simmer until very tender. Remove from liquid and cut meat into very
fine pieces. Return meat to the liquid. Stir in the acorn meal. Add
salt and pepper as desired. Heat until thickened and serve.

Ethnic food enthusiasts like to substitute acorn meal for corn meal
when making muffins -- usually using 1/2 corn meal and 1/2 acorn. Some
have substituted 1/2 of the flour in a biscuit recipe with 1/2 acorn
meal. Experiment carefully, remembering that a good portion of the
work performed by flour has to do with the gluten in the floor. Acorn
has no gluten, so you'll have to keep this in mind.

Acorn Bread

6 Tbsp. cornmeal
1/2 cup cold water
1 cup boiling water
1 tsp sale
1 Tbsp butter
1 pkg active dry yeast
1/4 cup lukewarm water
1 cup mashed potatoes
2 cup all-purpose flour
2 cup finely ground leached acorn meal

[...]

Recipes found at http://www.yvwiiusdinvnohii.net/NAIFood/acorns.htm

Acorn Mush

Black oak acorns
Water
Cooking basket
Fire pit
Hot rocks
Tongs

Harvest the acorns in the fall, dry well
Shell and pick off the red skin on the acorn (like a peanut skin)
Find a nice acorn pounding rock or a heavy duty bowl.
With a good sized basalt pestle pound away till the acorn is a fairly
fine grain/powder.
**Important** After pounding the acorns, you MUST leach them to remove
the tannin. Make a sand volcano, flatten the top and make a rim around
the edge. Cover with cheesecloth. Place a thin layer of acorn over the
cheesecloth and using a pine needle branch as a water breaker.
carefully pour cold water over the acorn. The water will seep through
fairly quickly. After a few leaches, taste a bit of the acorn and if
the bitterness has gone away, then it is ok.
In the meantime, make a fire pit and heat the rocks up.
Note: (you gotta have the right kind of rocks!)
Get the cooking basket and put in the pounded acorn. Add water about 2
to 1 ration. Using two poles as tongs or an antler, reach out a rock and
quickly
dip it in fresh water to get the ash off then place it in the
acorn/water cooking basket.
Get another rock. Repeat till the acorn is cooked. (about 5 minutes)
take out the colder rocks.
Note: if you stir the basket up with the rocks you'll wear it out.
Just turn the rock.

Servings:Two
Offered by Cindy ~ Passamaquoddy ~
....who notes the recipe has Miwok origins.

Recipe found at http://www.nativetech.org/food/acorn.html

--
§Greenings fromŠ
http://www.endor.com/~poppy/index.html

Gypsy-go-lightly

> My dog is crazy about them.
> She will eat two or three when we go for a walk and
> seems to pick through them. Perhaps some taste
> good and some taste bad and her nose can segregate them.

please be very careful with your doggy. doggies can be harmed by tannin
acid as well as humans.
--
When God measures a man,
he puts the tape around the heart instead of the head.

PENMART01

Charlene Charette writes:

>THE COW
>The cow is of the bovine ilk;
>One end is moo, the other, milk.
>--Ogden Nash, Free Wheeling, 1931

Ogden Nash doesn't know shit from an udder.

Actually milk is in the middle.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Tac1138

>Soak them in what? Please.
>Jerry with a lot of oak trees.

JUst grind the nuts into a meal and soak the meal in water changing it
every hour until the water runs clear

Ken Lopez

There are oak trees with edible acorns. The description for Quercus
garryana (Oregon White Oak) reads as follows:

Good for zones US 7 - 9. Rounded, deciduous tree with cracked, pale gray
bark. Glossy, dark green leaves. Bears sweet, edible acorns. Mature tree
can reach 30 ft tall and spread to 30 ft wide. Native to Western North
America.

I have two growing in 5 gallon buckets but they are only two foot tall so I
won't be able to vouch for the taste any time soon. Perhaps someone from
the Northwest US will chime in here.

Ken Lopez

PS. For those interested, I bought my seeds from seedman.com two years ago.
__________

"Ken" > wrote in message
> (Right Across Left Hook Combo) wrote in

message . com>...
> > i tried one. it was bitter. yuck.

> I have been told that acorn noodles are very traditional in Korea.
> And I have a friend who uses the acorns from his property to make
> acorn muffins and pancakes. Very edible, just soak them as everyone
> has said.
>
> Ken

B-0b1

ACORNS CAN BE EATEN IF THEY ARE BOILED FOR ABOUT THREE HOURS.
Then soaked for nother 3 hrs to remove any external Tannins, They ARE
"NUTS" and the "Fruit of the Oak Tree"
Then they need ROASTING for about 30 minutes at 50 degrees. Thay can made
into a "meal" and added to other
things such a soups. Lots of luck and enjoy the "mainstay" of some ancient
peoples. Of course their life spans were rarely
over 42 yrs! No comment here..B-0b1

Gypsy-go-lightly wrote:

> > My dog is crazy about them.
> > She will eat two or three when we go for a walk and
> > seems to pick through them. Perhaps some taste
> > good and some taste bad and her nose can segregate them.
> >

> please be very careful with your doggy. doggies can be harmed by tannin
> acid as well as humans.
> --
> When God measures a man,
> he puts the tape around the heart instead of the head.
> - Anonymous
> http://www.endor.com/~poppy/index.html

--
"Beaten Paths are for Beaten People". -- Anon.

B-0b1

Actually TODAY's "MILK" being HOMOGENIZED and Micronizing the deadly
H-O Enzyme
so it does NOT pass through the body due to its' natural large size. it
incysts into venal flesh and causes deadly
damage. (over 1 million Autopsies do NOT Lie!!! ) Millions of SIDS
Babies also are moot evidence of the
LIES being told by UNCLE!~~ And WICK insists that ONLY Homo milk be
bought for babies??? .
..I do NOT agree If anyone IS interested in HOW the NEW Cow;s milk can be
made SAFE
as well as sweeter and Longer lasting..I'd be gald to write an article
and procedure for doing so. It's EASY!
B-0b1

--
"Beaten Paths are for Beaten People". -- Anon.