Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shame on you Hormel

I don't eat a lot of meat, but my family does. But I do remember from
my meat-eating days just how good bacon can taste. I used to love the
taste of crispy, thick bacon slices, particularly the Danish kind
(since that is my heritage).

Recently, we bought a large bag of Hormel "Real Bacon Bits" at Sam's
Club. The packaged promised the "delicious taste of real, fresh
premium bacon" and was a good buy for a year's supply (the way it
usually goes when you buy something at one of those club stores like
Sam's or Costco.)

It was when I looked a little closer that I became concerned about
what my family had been adding to their salad and baked potatoes. On
the front of the bag I found an interesting slogan, "Made from Picnic
Bacon" which caught my curiosity. I don't recall ever hearing that
term before, have you? "Picnic Bacon" sounds so nice -- it sounds like
a summer outing on a beautiful day, eating a nice BLT sandwich under
the trees and watching the ants carry away half of the meal.

Putting aside my winter thoughts of a pleasant picnic, I looked into
what this meant. It turns out that "Picnic Bacon" is not a pretty
thing. It may have a nice sounding name, but it is really not a meat
you should consume. Picnic Bacon turns out to be the most undesirable
parts of the pig -- seriously, you don't want to know what parts --
which has been "fabricated" to approach the appearance of bacon. It is
just barely considered something fit for human consumption, and it
wouldn't be eaten, not by you, me or anyone else, if it didn't have
this pleasant little name and the "fabricated bacon" look.

Shame on you Hormel. I wonder how many other surprises there are in
the consumer packaged food business? Got any other good ones?

Dave

Full text article above extracted from http://shamvswham.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 22:10:34 -0800 (PST), Dave >
wrote:

>Recently, we bought a large bag of Hormel "Real Bacon Bits" at Sam's
>Club. The packaged promised the "delicious taste of real, fresh
>premium bacon" and was a good buy for a year's supply (the way it
>usually goes when you buy something at one of those club stores like
>Sam's or Costco.)

<snip>

>Putting aside my winter thoughts of a pleasant picnic, I looked into
>what this meant. It turns out that "Picnic Bacon" is not a pretty
>thing. It may have a nice sounding name, but it is really not a meat
>you should consume. Picnic Bacon turns out to be the most undesirable
>parts of the pig -- seriously, you don't want to know what parts --
>which has been "fabricated" to approach the appearance of bacon. It is
>just barely considered something fit for human consumption, and it
>wouldn't be eaten, not by you, me or anyone else, if it didn't have
>this pleasant little name and the "fabricated bacon" look.
>
>Shame on you Hormel. I wonder how many other surprises there are in
>the consumer packaged food business? Got any other good ones?
>
>Full text article above extracted from http://shamvswham.blogspot.com/

Caveat emptor!

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 22:10:34 -0800 (PST), Dave >
> wrote:

> >Shame on you Hormel. I wonder how many other surprises there are in
> >the consumer packaged food business? Got any other good ones?
> >
> >Full text article above extracted from http://shamvswham.blogspot.com/

> Caveat emptor!

Well damn! That's exactly what I thought and wanted to post before I
read your reply.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave wrote:

> Picnic Bacon turns out to be the most undesirable
> parts of the pig -- seriously, you don't want to know what parts --
> which has been "fabricated" to approach the appearance of bacon.

Picnic Bacon is sliced from the picnic part of the shoulder, a highly
desirable part of the hog which is used to make pulled-pork bbq.

I have no idea what the 'blog' writer thinks it is, but this is yet another
example of food-police hysteria based on ignorance.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dave > wrote:

> Full text article above extracted from http://shamvswham.blogspot.com/

I thought maybe the "full text article" explained what it was. It
didn't. From what I can see, "picnic bacon" is made from the same
cut as a picnic ham--the shoulder. If that's not correct, can you
expand on it? After having had hog jowls, I can't get too excited
about what they use for bacon bits.

But, different strokes and all that. I like hot dogs, too.

Mike Beede

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave" > wrote in message news:24e33d04-3c4b-4729-b8d8-

> Putting aside my winter thoughts of a pleasant picnic, I looked into
> what this meant. It turns out that "Picnic Bacon" is not a pretty
> thing. It may have a nice sounding name, but it is really not a meat
> you should consume.

Lots of ignorance showing here. I eat picnic a few times a year as it makes
great barbecue, is more flavorful than the loin. Very tender when slow
cooked. Bravo Hormel!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave > wrote:
> I don't eat a lot of meat, but my family does. But I do remember from
> my meat-eating days just how good bacon can taste. I used to love the
> taste of crispy, thick bacon slices, particularly the Danish kind
> (since that is my heritage).
>
> Recently, we bought a large bag of Hormel "Real Bacon Bits" at Sam's
> Club. The packaged promised the "delicious taste of real, fresh
> premium bacon" and was a good buy for a year's supply (the way it
> usually goes when you buy something at one of those club stores like
> Sam's or Costco.)
>
> It was when I looked a little closer that I became concerned about
> what my family had been adding to their salad and baked potatoes. On
> the front of the bag I found an interesting slogan, "Made from Picnic
> Bacon" which caught my curiosity. I don't recall ever hearing that
> term before, have you? "Picnic Bacon" sounds so nice -- it sounds like
> a summer outing on a beautiful day, eating a nice BLT sandwich under
> the trees and watching the ants carry away half of the meal.
>
> Putting aside my winter thoughts of a pleasant picnic, I looked into
> what this meant. It turns out that "Picnic Bacon" is not a pretty
> thing. It may have a nice sounding name, but it is really not a meat
> you should consume. Picnic Bacon turns out to be the most undesirable
> parts of the pig -- seriously, you don't want to know what parts --
> which has been "fabricated" to approach the appearance of bacon. It is
> just barely considered something fit for human consumption, and it
> wouldn't be eaten, not by you, me or anyone else, if it didn't have
> this pleasant little name and the "fabricated bacon" look.
>
> Shame on you Hormel. I wonder how many other surprises there are in
> the consumer packaged food business? Got any other good ones?
>
> Dave
>
> Full text article above extracted fromhttp://shamvswham.blogspot.com/

If that bacon were made from yoose it would be labeled "asshole".

Total food imbecile comes to mind.

Hmm, there's a pattern here... people named Dave and Bob are equally
ignorant... both too insecure to use their real name (David and
Robert) so they use their pitiful widdle baby name.

The "Picnic" is a very desireable part of the pig, actually far more
desirable than the portion commonly used for bacon.

picnic ham
Not really a true ham (which comes from the pig's back leg), the
picnic ham is taken from the upper part of the foreleg and includes a
portion of the shoulder. This cut is also more accurately referred to
as the picnic shoulder or pork shoulder. The picnic ham is smoked,
which gives it a very hamlike flavor. It often has the bone removed.
Though it's slightly tougher (requiring longer cooking) and has more
waste because of the bone structure, picnic ham is a good, inexpensive
substitute for regular ham.

� Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave" > wrote in message
>I don't eat a lot of meat, but my family does. But I do remember from
> my meat-eating days just how good bacon can taste. I used to love the
> taste of crispy, thick bacon slices, particularly the Danish kind
> (since that is my heritage).

SNIP

> Putting aside my winter thoughts of a pleasant picnic, I looked into
> what this meant. It turns out that "Picnic Bacon" is not a pretty
> thing. It may have a nice sounding name, but it is really not a meat
> you should consume. Picnic Bacon turns out to be the most undesirable
> parts of the pig -- seriously, you don't want to know what parts --
> which has been "fabricated" to approach the appearance of bacon. It is
> just barely considered something fit for human consumption, and it
> wouldn't be eaten, not by you, me or anyone else, if it didn't have
> this pleasant little name and the "fabricated bacon" look.
>
> Shame on you Hormel. I wonder how many other surprises there are in
> the consumer packaged food business? Got any other good ones?
>
> Dave

Get over it -- pigs walk on four feet in mud, vegetables grow in dirt. Life
is messy like that. There should be no part of an animal unfit for human
consumption in one way or another.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave" > wrote in message

> Shame on you Hormel. I wonder how many other surprises there are in
> the consumer packaged food business? Got any other good ones?
>
> Dave

Shame on YOU for being so ignorant. You must be very young. Or, you've lived
in a cave all your life.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 8, 10:10 pm, Dave > wrote:
> I don't eat a lot of meat [snip rest of blog]

Then eat even less meat (until you become more informed.)

I love the picnic cut. Cooked right, it's tender and full of flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 9, 2:45*am, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Dave wrote:
> > Picnic Bacon turns out to be the most undesirable
> > parts of the pig -- seriously, you don't want to know what parts --
> > which has been "fabricated" to approach the appearance of bacon.

> Picnic Bacon is sliced from the picnic part of the shoulder, a highly
> desirable part of the hog which is used to make pulled-pork bbq.
>
> I have no idea what the 'blog' writer thinks it is, but this is yet another
> example of food-police hysteria based on ignorance.
>
> --
> Davewww.davebbq.com

Hey Dave . . . Here's a food industry definition of the issue in
question. Perhaps you throw the "whole pig" into your BBQ's, but
you're not going to get me to eat "Picnic Bacon":

"Bacon is not made form the same pigs you get regular pork from. Table
pork is produced form 3 different grades of pigs; porkers,
superporkers and finishers. These tend to have lean meat and a dressed
weight of up to 60 kg. Pigs bred for bacon production are known as
baconers and are sold at an age of around 24 weeks. They have a higher
body fat ratio than regular pigs and can weigh up to a whopping 100
kg.

There are several different varieties of bacon. Middle bacon rashers
possess the familiar bacon shape, that is a thin strip of belly pork
with a lean round piece of loin at one end. Streaky bacon is the same
cut minus the round loin end. Picnic or café bacon is various off cuts
of pork that are pressed into a pseudo-bacon shape and should
obviously be avoided."

Why should it be avoided? Because when you go into a butcher shop and
ask for a specific piece of the pig, the Picnic Ham, you'll get (as
others here suggest, the shoulder or foreleg area) a very specific
piece of meat which can be delicious slow-cooked or used in BBQ. But
here's the kicker . . . to the food processor, "Picnic bacon" is ANY
off-cut of the pig. That includes every single piece of lousy, Grade D
consumable meat that might, for example, go into the production of
really low grade hot dogs. That's not what I was expecting to find in
a bag of "REAL Bacon Bits."

More like "REAL Hot Dog Bits."

Dave
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 9, 5:44*am, Mike Beede > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>
> *Dave > wrote:
> > Full text article above extracted fromhttp://shamvswham.blogspot.com/

> I thought maybe the "full text article" explained what it was. *It
> didn't. *From what I can see, "picnic bacon" is made from the same
> cut as a picnic ham--the shoulder. *If that's not correct, can you
> expand on it? *After having had hog jowls, I can't get too excited
> about what they use for bacon bits.
>
> But, different strokes and all that. *I like hot dogs, too.
>
> * *Mike Beede

The way your butcher describes Picnic Ham is different than what the
food processing industry uses as Picnic Bacon. Your butcher has a
narrow, classic view of the pig and where the shoulder area is.
Companies like this one just put any piece of "off cut" pork into the
mix and form it into bacon shapes.

My son loves hot dogs as well, Mike, so perhaps he shouldn't mind
eating picnic bacon. To me, it's a bit gross.

Dave
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 9, 8:19*am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Dave" > wrote in message

> > Shame on you Hormel. I wonder how many other surprises there are in
> > the consumer packaged food business? Got any other good ones?

> > Dave

> Shame on YOU for being so ignorant. You must be very young. Or, you've lived
> in a cave all your life.

Joe, I'd say its ignorant not to explore a matter a bit before making
a generalization. As a member here, I have just as much right as you
to say what is consumable and what is not consumable. Picnic bacon is
ANY off-cut of pork. Do you know what that includes?

Dave
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2:45 am, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>> Dave wrote:
>>> Picnic Bacon turns out to be the most undesirable
>>> parts of the pig -- seriously, you don't want to know what parts --
>>> which has been "fabricated" to approach the appearance of bacon.

>> Picnic Bacon is sliced from the picnic part of the shoulder, a highly
>> desirable part of the hog which is used to make pulled-pork bbq.
>>
>> I have no idea what the 'blog' writer thinks it is, but this is yet
>> another example of food-police hysteria based on ignorance.
>>
>> --
>> Davewww.davebbq.com

> Hey Dave . . . Here's a food industry definition of the issue in
> question. Perhaps you throw the "whole pig" into your BBQ's, but
> you're not going to get me to eat "Picnic Bacon":

Sure I am. I get my information from the IMPS (international meat packing
standard) and from the wholesale packer which I order my meat from. You
might want to quit quoting the blog crap and do a bit of investigating on
your own :-)
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave wrote:
> On Feb 9, 8:19 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>> "Dave" > wrote in message

>>> Shame on you Hormel. I wonder how many other surprises there are in
>>> the consumer packaged food business? Got any other good ones?

>>> Dave

>> Shame on YOU for being so ignorant. You must be very young. Or,
>> you've lived in a cave all your life.

> Joe, I'd say its ignorant not to explore a matter a bit before making
> a generalization. As a member here, I have just as much right as you
> to say what is consumable and what is not consumable. Picnic bacon is
> ANY off-cut of pork.

No, it is not.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave" > wrote in message
On Feb 9, 8:19 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Dave" > wrote in message

> > Shame on you Hormel. I wonder how many other surprises there are in
> > the consumer packaged food business? Got any other good ones?

> > Dave

> Shame on YOU for being so ignorant. You must be very young. Or, you've
> lived
> in a cave all your life.

Joe, I'd say its ignorant not to explore a matter a bit before making
a generalization. As a member here, I have just as much right as you
to say what is consumable and what is not consumable. Picnic bacon is
ANY off-cut of pork. Do you know what that includes?

Dave
Why don't you tell us specifically what you are talking about? I'm pretty
sure there is no one too squeamish here to see what your source says. By
the way, please give a specific source for your information.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 9, 11:54*am, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> "Dave" > wrote in message

> On Feb 9, 8:19 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
> > "Dave" > wrote in message

> > > Shame on you Hormel. I wonder how many other surprises there are in
> > > the consumer packaged food business? Got any other good ones?

> > > Dave

> > Shame on YOU for being so ignorant. You must be very young. Or, you've
> > lived
> > in a cave all your life.

> Joe, I'd say its ignorant not to explore a matter a bit before making
> a generalization. As a member here, I have just as much right as you
> to say what is consumable and what is not consumable. Picnic bacon is
> ANY off-cut of pork. Do you know what that includes?
>
> Dave
> Why don't you tell us specifically what you are talking about? *I'm pretty
> sure there is no one too squeamish here to see what your source says. *By
> the way, please give a specific source for your information.
> Janet

Janet, I don't have any mystery source here. I just researched it on
the 'net, like most people would.

I don't think it is all that squeamish. You might, for example, eat a
hot dog and drink a beer at the ball game, but then go home and eat a
well-prepared salad. I would get totally grossed out eating that same
hot dog meat cut up into little deep fried, shape-formed pieces of
"hot dog bits" on my spinach salad.

I guess it must be environment. The ballpark is the place to eat the
junk off-cuts of pork. Sprinkling them on a baked potato makes no
sense, at least to me.

Dave
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave wrote:
> On Feb 9, 11:54 am, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>> "Dave" > wrote in message

>>> Shame on YOU for being so ignorant. You must be very young. Or,
>>> you've lived
>>> in a cave all your life.

>> Joe, I'd say its ignorant not to explore a matter a bit before making
>> a generalization. As a member here, I have just as much right as you
>> to say what is consumable and what is not consumable. Picnic bacon is
>> ANY off-cut of pork. Do you know what that includes?
>>
>> Dave
>> Why don't you tell us specifically what you are talking about? I'm
>> pretty sure there is no one too squeamish here to see what your
>> source says. By the way, please give a specific source for your
>> information.
>> Janet

> Janet, I don't have any mystery source here. I just researched it on
> the 'net, like most people would.
>
> I don't think it is all that squeamish. You might, for example, eat a
> hot dog and drink a beer at the ball game, but then go home and eat a
> well-prepared salad. I would get totally grossed out eating that same
> hot dog meat cut up into little deep fried, shape-formed pieces of
> "hot dog bits" on my spinach salad.
>
> I guess it must be environment. The ballpark is the place to eat the
> junk off-cuts of pork. Sprinkling them on a baked potato makes no
> sense, at least to me.

The sources you have cited are blog sites; basically stating an
unknowlegeable opinion. I suspect some of which has to do with an
anti-hormel agenda.

Do you ever see American-style 'canadian' bacon in the store? That is
primarily picnic bacon. Have you see the ham on Mcdonalds Egg Mcmuffin?
Again, primarily picnic bacon.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:

> The sources you have cited are blog sites; basically stating an
> unknowlegeable opinion. I suspect some of which has to do with an
> anti-hormel agenda.

The only source he cited is his commercial blogspot
web site. His motive is to drive traffic to it.
The only thing unusual about this post is that
he seems to have written it himself, rather than
plagiarizing it from an uncited source.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 9, 1:47*pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
>
> > The sources you have cited are blog sites; basically stating an
> > unknowlegeable opinion. I suspect some of which has to do with an
> > anti-hormel agenda.

> The only source he cited is his commercial blogspot
> web site. *His motive is to drive traffic to it.
> The only thing unusual about this post is that
> he seems to have written it himself, rather than
> plagiarizing it from an uncited source.

This from the mouth of a well-known internet troll, Mark Thorson. RFC
is the only usenet discussion where Mark Thorson posts like a human
being, friendly and cordial. Don't mistake that for the real Mark,
seen in other newsgroups as the nastiest kind of "usenet Policeman."

Funny how you don't mention the fact that Dave Bugg uses his sig line
in every single post he makes here, whereas I use it one time, in the
lead post. And, his link goes to a commercial site. Mine goes to a
collection of hundreds of editorials, press releases, and commentary.

Someone in another forum said this, and I like this comment:

"That is the nature of the beast called usenet. It is made up of
off-the-shoulder chips and scraps of knowledge and opinion, all
pressed together into neat little casings, ready for mass
consumption.
If you want kosher knowledge, read an encyclopedia."

Opinion. That's all anything is here. Everyone is entitled to one.

Dave
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Dave > said:
> On Feb 9, 8:19=A0am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> > "Dave" > wrote in message

> > > Shame on you Hormel. I wonder how many other surprises there are in
> > > the consumer packaged food business? Got any other good ones?

> > > Dave

> > Shame on YOU for being so ignorant. You must be very young. Or, you've lived
> > in a cave all your life.

> Joe, I'd say its ignorant not to explore a matter a bit before making
> a generalization. As a member here, I have just as much right as you
> to say what is consumable and what is not consumable. Picnic bacon is
> ANY off-cut of pork. Do you know what that includes?

Sniffers, lickers, shitters, and tickers? So what? If you don't like
that kins of thing, don't eat it. They put "picnic bacon" on the front
of the package -- if people are too stupid to look the term up, the
deserve to eat what they get...

http://www.primosmallgoods.com.au/pr...fm?prodCatID=6

"Picnic Bacon/Big Eye Bacon

Made from cuts of pork which is cured, massage, pressed and smoked
producing a leaner bacon with a larger eye."

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 9, 1:29�pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Dave wrote:

> >> Shame on YOU for being so ignorant. You must be very young. Or,
> >> you've lived in a cave all your life.

> > Joe, I'd say its ignorant not to explore a matter a bit before making
> > a generalization. As a member here, I have just as much right as you
> > to say what is consumable and what is not consumable. Picnic bacon is
> > ANY off-cut of pork.

> No, it is not.

Picnic is *specific* cut, an excellent cut useful for many purposes.

http://www.askthemeatman.com/pork_pi...ulder_cuts.htm
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 9, 3:26Â*pm, Sheldon > wrote:
> On Feb 9, 1:29�pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>

> > Dave wrote:

> > > Joe, I'd say its ignorant not to explore a matter a bit before making
> > > a generalization. As a member here, I have just as much right as you
> > > to say what is consumable and what is not consumable. Picnic bacon is
> > > ANY off-cut of pork.

> > No, it is not.

> Picnic is *specific* cut, an excellent cut useful for many purposes.
>
> http://www.askthemeatman.com/pork_pi...ulder_cuts.htm

Thanks Sheldon, but once again you are using the butcher's designation
and not the designation that the consumer processed meats industry
uses. Someone interested in this needs to get that well-defined, as I
can not find it with the exception of the earlier quote which I got
from a seemingly well-informed pork specialist who is just on the
other side of the fence from "askthemeatman.com",

Dave
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shame on you blogspot SPAMMER

Dave wrote:

> On Feb 9, 1:47 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
> > Dave Bugg wrote:
> >
> > > The sources you have cited are blog sites; basically stating an
> > > unknowlegeable opinion. I suspect some of which has to do with an
> > > anti-hormel agenda.

> > The only source he cited is his commercial blogspot
> > web site. His motive is to drive traffic to it.
> > The only thing unusual about this post is that
> > he seems to have written it himself, rather than
> > plagiarizing it from an uncited source.

> This from the mouth of a well-known internet troll, Mark Thorson. RFC
> is the only usenet discussion where Mark Thorson posts like a human
> being, friendly and cordial. Don't mistake that for the real Mark,
> seen in other newsgroups as the nastiest kind of "usenet Policeman."

HAR HAR HAR !!! I expose you as nothing more than
a common blogspot spammer (of which we already have
a surplus), and rather than responding to truth of
my statements, you engage in character assassination,
as you've done in the past.

I've derailed your Internet-get-rich-quick scheme,
and you don't like that. Get used to it, spammer!
Your scheme has gone over like a lead balloon, and
that bugs the hell out of you. That's good! You
should feel uncomfortable and disrespected. There's
no pride in being a lowly spammer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave" > wrote in message
On Feb 9, 11:54 am, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> "Dave" > wrote in message

> On Feb 9, 8:19 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>
> > "Dave" > wrote in message

> > > Shame on you Hormel. I wonder how many other surprises there are in
> > > the consumer packaged food business? Got any other good ones?

> > > Dave

> > Shame on YOU for being so ignorant. You must be very young. Or, you've
> > lived
> > in a cave all your life.

> Joe, I'd say its ignorant not to explore a matter a bit before making
> a generalization. As a member here, I have just as much right as you
> to say what is consumable and what is not consumable. Picnic bacon is
> ANY off-cut of pork. Do you know what that includes?
>
> Dave
> Why don't you tell us specifically what you are talking about? I'm pretty
> sure there is no one too squeamish here to see what your source says. By
> the way, please give a specific source for your information.
> Janet

Janet, I don't have any mystery source here. I just researched it on
the 'net, like most people would.

I don't think it is all that squeamish. You might, for example, eat a
hot dog and drink a beer at the ball game, but then go home and eat a
well-prepared salad. I would get totally grossed out eating that same
hot dog meat cut up into little deep fried, shape-formed pieces of
"hot dog bits" on my spinach salad.

I guess it must be environment. The ballpark is the place to eat the
junk off-cuts of pork. Sprinkling them on a baked potato makes no
sense, at least to me.

Dave
O.k., we're done here. I expect you to tell me xyz.com is your source but
you can't. Nothing more to talk about.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave > wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:

> > > No, it is not.

> > Picnic is *specific* cut, an excellent cut useful for many purposes.

> >http://www.askthemeatman.com/pork_pi...ulder_cuts.htm

> Thanks Sheldon, but once again you are using the butcher's designation

There is no other designation... pork picnic is pork picnic... it's
obvious you're thinking "weasel".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave wrote:
> On Feb 9, 1:47 pm, Mark Thorson > wrote:
>> Dave Bugg wrote:
>>
>>> The sources you have cited are blog sites; basically stating an
>>> unknowlegeable opinion. I suspect some of which has to do with an
>>> anti-hormel agenda.

>> The only source he cited is his commercial blogspot
>> web site. His motive is to drive traffic to it.
>> The only thing unusual about this post is that
>> he seems to have written it himself, rather than
>> plagiarizing it from an uncited source.

> This from the mouth of a well-known internet troll, Mark Thorson. RFC
> is the only usenet discussion where Mark Thorson posts like a human
> being, friendly and cordial. Don't mistake that for the real Mark,
> seen in other newsgroups as the nastiest kind of "usenet Policeman."
>
> Funny how you don't mention the fact that Dave Bugg uses his sig line
> in every single post he makes here,

Please explain how my sig line draws commercial traffic? My website is
sponsored by no one. My business is not mail order. My customer market is
local and does not draw business from usenet. It is meant to provide folks
with a resource (me) should they wish to ask questions about bbq.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice wrote:
> One time on Usenet, Dave > said:
>> On Feb 9, 8:19=A0am, "JoeSpareBedroom" >
>> wrote:

>>> Shame on YOU for being so ignorant. You must be very young. Or,
>>> you've lived in a cave all your life.

>> Joe, I'd say its ignorant not to explore a matter a bit before making
>> a generalization. As a member here, I have just as much right as you
>> to say what is consumable and what is not consumable. Picnic bacon is
>> ANY off-cut of pork. Do you know what that includes?

> Sniffers, lickers, shitters, and tickers? So what? If you don't like
> that kins of thing, don't eat it. They put "picnic bacon" on the front
> of the package -- if people are too stupid to look the term up, the
> deserve to eat what they get...
>
> http://www.primosmallgoods.com.au/pr...fm?prodCatID=6
>
> "Picnic Bacon/Big Eye Bacon
>
> Made from cuts of pork which is cured, massage, pressed and smoked
> producing a leaner bacon with a larger eye."

Good example of the IMPS specification, Jani.

--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Dave wrote:

>>> The only source he cited is his commercial blogspot
>>> web site. His motive is to drive traffic to it.
>>> The only thing unusual about this post is that
>>> he seems to have written it himself, rather than
>>> plagiarizing it from an uncited source.

>> This from the mouth of a well-known internet troll, Mark Thorson. RFC
>> is the only usenet discussion where Mark Thorson posts like a human
>> being, friendly and cordial. Don't mistake that for the real Mark,
>> seen in other newsgroups as the nastiest kind of "usenet Policeman."
>>
>> Funny how you don't mention the fact that Dave Bugg uses his sig line
>> in every single post he makes here,

> Please explain how my sig line draws commercial traffic? My website is
> sponsored by no one. My business is not mail order. My customer
> market is local and does not draw business from usenet. It is meant
> to provide folks with a resource (me) should they wish to ask
> questions about bbq.

And one othe thing, if a goodly number of folks on usenet complained to me
about including my website in my sig line, I would not hesitate to remove
it.
--
Dave
www.davebbq.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 9, 5:11*pm, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
> Dave Bugg wrote:
> > Dave wrote:

> >> This from the mouth of a well-known internet troll, Mark Thorson. RFC
> >> is the only usenet discussion where Mark Thorson posts like a human
> >> being, friendly and cordial. Don't mistake that for the real Mark,
> >> seen in other newsgroups as the nastiest kind of "usenet Policeman."

> >> Funny how you don't mention the fact that Dave Bugg uses his sig line
> >> in every single post he makes here,

> > Please explain how my sig line draws commercial traffic? My website is
> > sponsored by no one. My business is not mail order. My customer
> > market is local and does not draw business from usenet. It is meant
> > to provide folks with a resource (me) should they wish to ask
> > questions about bbq.

> And one othe thing, if a goodly number of folks on usenet complained to me
> about including my website in my sig line, I would not hesitate to remove
> it.
> --
> Davewww.davebbq.com

I have no concerns with it Dave, as we are BOTH entitled to a sig
line. Mine isn't a business, but an archive. So, I'd agree with your
sentiment. Sorry to pick on you, but I used it as an example for the
Thorson "Internet Cop" approach. He was run off another discussion
forum that I read, because of that nonsense.

Peace.

Dave
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 9, 3:58*pm, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
> "Dave" > wrote in message

> On Feb 9, 11:54 am, "Janet Bostwick" > wrote:
>

> > "Dave" > wrote in message

> > > Shame on YOU for being so ignorant. You must be very young. Or, you've
> > > lived
> > > in a cave all your life.

> > Joe, I'd say its ignorant not to explore a matter a bit before making
> > a generalization. As a member here, I have just as much right as you
> > to say what is consumable and what is not consumable. Picnic bacon is
> > ANY off-cut of pork. Do you know what that includes?

> > Dave
> > Why don't you tell us specifically what you are talking about? I'm pretty
> > sure there is no one too squeamish here to see what your source says. By
> > the way, please give a specific source for your information.
> > Janet

> Janet, I don't have any mystery source here. I just researched it on
> the 'net, like most people would.
>
> I don't think it is all that squeamish. You might, for example, eat a
> hot dog and drink a beer at the ball game, but then go home and eat a
> well-prepared salad. I would get totally grossed out eating that same
> hot dog meat cut up into little deep fried, shape-formed pieces of
> "hot dog bits" on my spinach salad.
>
> I guess it must be environment. The ballpark is the place to eat the
> junk off-cuts of pork. Sprinkling them on a baked potato makes no
> sense, at least to me.
>
> Dave
> O.k., we're done here. *I expect you to tell me xyz.com is your source but
> you can't. *Nothing more to talk about.
> Janet

Sounds good to me Janet. I don't think you added much to the
discussion,

Dave
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, "Dave Bugg" > said:
> Little Malice wrote:
> > One time on Usenet, Dave > said:

> >> Joe, I'd say its ignorant not to explore a matter a bit before making
> >> a generalization. As a member here, I have just as much right as you
> >> to say what is consumable and what is not consumable. Picnic bacon is
> >> ANY off-cut of pork. Do you know what that includes?

> > Sniffers, lickers, shitters, and tickers? So what? If you don't like
> > that kins of thing, don't eat it. They put "picnic bacon" on the front
> > of the package -- if people are too stupid to look the term up, the
> > deserve to eat what they get...
> >
> > http://www.primosmallgoods.com.au/pr...fm?prodCatID=6
> >
> > "Picnic Bacon/Big Eye Bacon
> >
> > Made from cuts of pork which is cured, massage, pressed and smoked
> > producing a leaner bacon with a larger eye."

> Good example of the IMPS specification, Jani.

As Cathy says, GIMF... :-)

--
Jani in WA
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Dave > wrote:

> Sounds good to me Janet. I don't think you added much to the
> discussion,

She did ask where you got the information about "picnic bacon." I
didn't see the answer. Can you repeat it for me?

Mike Beede
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 9, 11:10 am, Dave > wrote:
> On Feb 9, 2:45 am, "Dave Bugg" > wrote:
>
> > Dave wrote:
> > > Picnic Bacon turns out to be the most undesirable
> > > parts of the pig -- seriously, you don't want to know what parts --
> > > which has been "fabricated" to approach the appearance of bacon.

> > Picnic Bacon is sliced from the picnic part of the shoulder, a highly
> > desirable part of the hog which is used to make pulled-pork bbq.

> > I have no idea what the 'blog' writer thinks it is, but this is yet another
> > example of food-police hysteria based on ignorance.

> > --
> > Davewww.davebbq.com

> Hey Dave . . . Here's a food industry definition of the issue in
> question. Perhaps you throw the "whole pig" into your BBQ's, but
> you're not going to get me to eat "Picnic Bacon":
>
> "Bacon is not made form the same pigs you get regular pork from. Table
> pork is produced form 3 different grades of pigs; porkers,
> superporkers and finishers. These tend to have lean meat and a dressed
> weight of up to 60 kg. Pigs bred for bacon production are known as
> baconers and are sold at an age of around 24 weeks. They have a higher
> body fat ratio than regular pigs and can weigh up to a whopping 100
> kg.
>
> There are several different varieties of bacon. Middle bacon rashers
> possess the familiar bacon shape, that is a thin strip of belly pork
> with a lean round piece of loin at one end. Streaky bacon is the same
> cut minus the round loin end. Picnic or café bacon is various off cuts
> of pork that are pressed into a pseudo-bacon shape and should
> obviously be avoided."

Like Arby's "roast beef." Still, the phrase "off cuts of pork" is
deceptive. There is nothing less wholesome about those other cuts of
pork. The word, "off," suggests otherwise.

> Why should it be avoided? Because when you go into a butcher shop and
> ask for a specific piece of the pig, the Picnic Ham, you'll get (as
> others here suggest, the shoulder or foreleg area) a very specific
> piece of meat which can be delicious slow-cooked or used in BBQ. But
> here's the kicker . . . to the food processor, "Picnic bacon" is ANY
> off-cut of the pig. That includes every single piece of lousy, Grade D
> consumable meat that might, for example, go into the production of
> really low grade hot dogs. That's not what I was expecting to find in
> a bag of "REAL Bacon Bits."

There is no such thing as "Grade D" pork.

> Dave

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave" > wrote in message
On Feb 9, 8:19 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
> "Dave" > wrote in message

> > Shame on you Hormel. I wonder how many other surprises there are in
> > the consumer packaged food business? Got any other good ones?

> > Dave

> Shame on YOU for being so ignorant. You must be very young. Or, you've
> lived
> in a cave all your life.

Joe, I'd say its ignorant not to explore a matter a bit before making
a generalization. As a member here, I have just as much right as you
to say what is consumable and what is not consumable. Picnic bacon is
ANY off-cut of pork. Do you know what that includes?

Dave

====================

You bought bacon bits. It doesn't matter what part of the animal the meat
comes from. You're eating salt, coloring and nitrites. You're eating crap.
It's delicious, which is why anyone who eats bacon accepts the bizarre shit
that goes into it. Same with pepperoni, beef jerky, salami, pastrami, corned
beef, etc. If you think any of these things are like steamed vegetables &
tofu, you are an idiot.

But, we already knew you were an idiot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave wrote:

> As a member here, I have just as much right as you to say what is
> consumable and what is not consumable.

Member? I don't see your name on the membership rolls. Where did you send
your dues?

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 11:54:09 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>"Dave" > wrote in message
>On Feb 9, 8:19 am, "JoeSpareBedroom" > wrote:
>> "Dave" > wrote in message

>> > Shame on you Hormel. I wonder how many other surprises there are in
>> > the consumer packaged food business? Got any other good ones?

>> > Dave

>> Shame on YOU for being so ignorant. You must be very young. Or, you've
>> lived
>> in a cave all your life.

>Joe, I'd say its ignorant not to explore a matter a bit before making
>a generalization. As a member here, I have just as much right as you
>to say what is consumable and what is not consumable. Picnic bacon is
>ANY off-cut of pork. Do you know what that includes?
>
>Dave
>Why don't you tell us specifically what you are talking about? I'm pretty
>sure there is no one too squeamish here to see what your source says. By
>the way, please give a specific source for your information.
>Janet

he's not gonna talk about pig penises, is he? if so, i'll need my
clutching pearls and smelling salts.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bob Terwilliger" wrote:
> Dave wrote:
> >
> > As a member here, I have just as much right as you to say what is
> > consumable and what is not consumable.

> Member?

Merriam Webster

mem�ber
noun
1 : a body part or organ: as a : PENIS
---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 11:54:09 -0700, "Janet Bostwick"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Dave" > wrote in message

>>> Shame on YOU for being so ignorant. You must be very young. Or, you've
>>> lived
>>> in a cave all your life.

>>Joe, I'd say its ignorant not to explore a matter a bit before making
>>a generalization. As a member here, I have just as much right as you
>>to say what is consumable and what is not consumable. Picnic bacon is
>>ANY off-cut of pork. Do you know what that includes?
>>
>>Dave
>>Why don't you tell us specifically what you are talking about? I'm pretty
>>sure there is no one too squeamish here to see what your source says. By
>>the way, please give a specific source for your information.
>>Janet
>>

> he's not gonna talk about pig penises, is he? if so, i'll need my
> clutching pearls and smelling salts.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Gasp!!!! I'm sorry, but I'm still laughing (I did get a chance to put my
coffee first) Thanks for the mental picture, it's great.
Janet

Hormel Pepperoni z z General Cooking 37 15-01-2018 01:58 AM
Canned Hormel Tamales for My Jack in the Box Taco Recipe nurk_fred2000 General Cooking 6 15-07-2011 01:44 AM
Speaking of Hormel's SPAM Wayne Boatwright[_3_] General Cooking 53 04-01-2008 12:47 AM
Hormel SIte on BBQ and Meat [email protected] Barbecue 0 26-12-2006 07:27 PM