Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bread dumpling help

I am doing a big family feed of sauerkraut and dumplings. My grandma
was czech but never much taught anyone just how she did these.
I have done them several times before and they have gotten better
each time but never as light and good as hers. Any suggestions
or tried and true recipes for the dumplings would be great. Is there a
way to pre-make these the day or morning before serving them and then
just boiling before serving? I have been using stale kaiser rolls for
the bread.
TIA, TAria

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 06 Feb 2008 09:40:35a, Taria told us...

> I am doing a big family feed of sauerkraut and dumplings. My grandma
> was czech but never much taught anyone just how she did these.
> I have done them several times before and they have gotten better
> each time but never as light and good as hers. Any suggestions
> or tried and true recipes for the dumplings would be great. Is there a
> way to pre-make these the day or morning before serving them and then
> just boiling before serving? I have been using stale kaiser rolls for
> the bread.
> TIA, TAria

It would help if you posted the recipe you're using.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 02(II)/06(VI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Ash Wednesday
This library isn't safe - I just
stumbled on an idea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taria wrote:
> I am doing a big family feed of sauerkraut and dumplings. My grandma
> was czech but never much taught anyone just how she did these.
> I have done them several times before and they have gotten better
> each time but never as light and good as hers. Any suggestions
> or tried and true recipes for the dumplings would be great. Is there a
> way to pre-make these the day or morning before serving them and then
> just boiling before serving? I have been using stale kaiser rolls for
> the bread.
> TIA, TAria

What's your recipe?

I have a Czech friend who makes these sometimes for dinners at her home.
Knedliky or something like that??
I love them and would love to try and make them. I have seen her make
them two ways - from scratch (with bread cubes - I think she toasts some
kind of bread - maybe kaiser rolls) and from a mix but I don't really
recall the specifics. They are simmered in a pot of water though. I
don't know why you couldn't make the dough part and just leave the
loaves in the fridge until you want to boil them....might even make 'em
lighter - with the slow rise in the fridge.

I think she likes the mix better. She often talks about not having
the right kind of flour here in the states. Luckily, her mom sends her
stuff.

-Tracy
(thinking it is just about time for a visit with my Czech friend.....)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

This is the one I found with mom's stuff but I just have not had
good luck with it. I would welcome a good recipe.
5 cups flour
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking pdr.
1-1/2 eggs
1-1/2 c. milk
4 cups bread cubed.
I think last time I used a generic recipe I pulled on the net.
I remember grandma cut hers with a piece of thread, they were
that light. (these are large dumplings)
Thanks Wayne,
Taria

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 06 Feb 2008 09:40:35a, Taria told us...
>

>>I am doing a big family feed of sauerkraut and dumplings. My grandma
>>was czech but never much taught anyone just how she did these.
>>I have done them several times before and they have gotten better
>>each time but never as light and good as hers. Any suggestions
>>or tried and true recipes for the dumplings would be great. Is there a
>>way to pre-make these the day or morning before serving them and then
>>just boiling before serving? I have been using stale kaiser rolls for
>>the bread.
>>TIA, TAria
>>

> It would help if you posted the recipe you're using.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed 06 Feb 2008 11:01:40a, Taria told us...

> This is the one I found with mom's stuff but I just have not had
> good luck with it. I would welcome a good recipe.
> 5 cups flour
> 2 tsp. salt
> 1/2 tsp. baking pdr.
> 1-1/2 eggs
> 1-1/2 c. milk
> 4 cups bread cubed.
> I think last time I used a generic recipe I pulled on the net.
> I remember grandma cut hers with a piece of thread, they were
> that light. (these are large dumplings)
> Thanks Wayne,
> Taria
>
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Wed 06 Feb 2008 09:40:35a, Taria told us...
>>

>>>I am doing a big family feed of sauerkraut and dumplings. My grandma
>>>was czech but never much taught anyone just how she did these.
>>>I have done them several times before and they have gotten better
>>>each time but never as light and good as hers. Any suggestions
>>>or tried and true recipes for the dumplings would be great. Is there a
>>>way to pre-make these the day or morning before serving them and then
>>>just boiling before serving? I have been using stale kaiser rolls for
>>>the bread.
>>>TIA, TAria

For 5 cups of flour, 1/2 teaspoon baking powder seems far too little. I
would increase it to at least 1 to 1-1/2 teaspoons. also, IIRC, you used
the insides of stale Kaiser rolls for the bread cubes. I would pick
something lighter, and perhaps less stale (though not extremely fresh).

I'll look around for a different recipe, too.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Wednesday, 02(II)/06(VI)/08(MMVIII)
Today is: Ash Wednesday
Cats: God's way of telling you your
furniture is too nice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taria > wrote:

> Any suggestions
> or tried and true recipes for the dumplings would be great.

Here is a recipe for Czech bread dumplings from Time-Life _Recipes: The
Cooking of Vienna's Empire_, compiled by Joseph Wechsberg.

Also, here is a nice article about Czech dumplings:
<http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CE1D9103AF931A15754C0A9669582 60&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all>.

Victor

Houskové Knedlíki
Bread Dumplings

To make about 12 dumplings

4 tablespoons flour
3 cups bread cubes, cut in 1/2-inch chunks
3 tablespoons finely chopped onions
10 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup milk

Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a heavy skillet. When the foam
subsides, add the bread cubes. Toss them about in the butter until they
are brown on all sides, then set then aside.

Add the rest of the butter to the skillet and when it has melted, stir
in the onions. Cook them 3 or 4 minutes, until they are lightly
colored, then scrape them into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the flour,
parsley, salt and nutmeg, and moisten with the milk. Knead lightly to
form a dough. Gently fold in the bread cubes and let the mixture stand
for about 30 minutes.

Divide the dough in half and, with your hands, knead and form it into 2 long, sausagelike rolls about 2 inches
in diameter. (They will each be 5 to 7 inches long.)

Carefully place the rolls in an 8-inch saucepan half full of boiling, salted water. Cook them gently over
medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes, turning them once with a large spoon or 2 slotted spoons. Remove them to
paper towels to drain. Cut them into 1/2-inch slices while they are still hot. Serve them immediately with
roast goose or any meat dish that has a gravy or sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taria > wrote:

> Any suggestions
> or tried and true recipes for the dumplings would be great.

Here is a recipe for Czech bread dumplings from Time-Life _Recipes: The
Cooking of Vienna's Empire_, compiled by Joseph Wechsberg.

Also, here is a nice article about Czech dumplings:
<http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C0CE1D9103AF931A15754C0A9669582 60&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all>.

Victor

Houskové Knedlíki
Bread Dumplings

To make about 12 dumplings

4 tablespoons flour
3 cups bread cubes, cut in 1/2-inch chunks
3 tablespoons finely chopped onions
10 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup milk

Melt 3 tablespoons of the butter in a heavy skillet. When the foam
subsides, add the bread cubes. Toss them about in the butter until they
are brown on all sides, then set then aside.

Add the rest of the butter to the skillet and when it has melted, stir
in the onions. Cook them 3 or 4 minutes, until they are lightly
colored, then scrape them into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the flour,
parsley, salt and nutmeg, and moisten with the milk. Knead lightly to
form a dough. Gently fold in the bread cubes and let the mixture stand
for about 30 minutes.

Divide the dough in half and, with your hands, knead and form it into 2
long, sausagelike rolls about 2 inches in diameter. (They will each be
5 to 7 inches long.)

Carefully place the rolls in an 8-inch saucepan half full of boiling,
salted water. Cook them gently over medium heat for 20 to 25 minutes,
turning them once with a large spoon or 2 slotted spoons. Remove them
to paper towels to drain. Cut them into 1/2-inch slices while they are
still hot. Serve them immediately with roast goose or any meat dish
that has a gravy or sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Taria" > schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>I am doing a big family feed of sauerkraut and dumplings. My grandma
> was czech but never much taught anyone just how she did these.
> I have done them several times before and they have gotten better
> each time but never as light and good as hers. Any suggestions
> or tried and true recipes for the dumplings would be great. Is there a way to
> pre-make these the day or morning before serving them and then just boiling
> before serving? I have been using stale kaiser rolls for
> the bread.
> TIA, TAria

Google for my post about "Knoedeln" (Dec. last year, AFAIR).

Cheers,

Michael Kuettner