Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Broke and hungry

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:18:51 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>A lot of the food I eat makes more than one meal. A pot of sauce
>makes a number of meals, and some of it went into last night's
>lasagna, and that lasagna will make at least 8 good sized portions.
>I have leftover beef stew in the refrigerator, and I'm thawing a
>chicken for sometime over the weekend. That chicken will be
>dinner along with some vegetables, and will be chicken salad for
>lunch after that.

I do the same thing. I almost have too much food cooking this way...
I find myself having to put portions of whatever I cooked into the
freezer, so that I am not sick of whatever I fixed. However, it pays
off, as I have ready made meals for work..with no extra work.

Right now,I still have two portions of the ribs and kraut in the
freezer, ready to pull out at a moment's notice. Probably for work.
I tried to make a smaller portion of the soup I mentioned earlier, but
it still made a good sized pot, with a lot of turkey in it. I ended
up freezing half of it, to pull out later on for work lunches. That
and a piece of fruit, or a salad will make a nice work dinner for me.

I just made pizza dough and it will rest a day or so in the fridge to
get a good flavor, and then go to pizza one night this weekend. Topped
with "fresh" mozzarella, parmesan, and slivers of garlic...maybe some
basil from the Asian market.

I have also been doing some baking lately... I made several things
from Dorie Greenspan's book Baking: From My Home To Yours. One is a
lovely date-walnut loaf, and the other was a Swedish Visiting Cake. I
am eeking them out to have with my tea every day. I had ingredients
for both of these already here...so they cost me very, very little to
make.

I eat very well..almost too well.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> I am always astounded at the prices that Sheldon quotes for groceries
> in his area. A dollar for an apple? I just bought about 2 pounds of
> Braeburn apples for $1/pound. Cauliflower has been on sale here for
> $0.88/each. Broccoli is about $1/pound. I can get the pink Rio
> grapefruits for 5/$1...I didn't get any this week, but I am
> contemplating picking up some. Those things are great! Last week I
> got 10 smaller navel oranges for $1 at one of the local produce
> markets.

I get Braeburn apples for about .98/pound to about $1.49/pound.
The last cauliflower I purchased was almost $3.00. Those prices were at
the military commissary.
I went to Sam's Club and purchased 10 pounds of incredibly HUGE navel
oranges for $8.88, and the count was about 10 in the bag. So .88/pound
isn't too bad, yet your prices beat those easily.
<shrug>
Prices vary greatly by location it seems. Jill quotes meat prices I
can't routinely get. Last night I did get a good price on boneless,
skinless chicken breasts for my chicken picata at $1.99/pound. I stocked up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cshenk wrote:

> Wow and thanks! Thats cheaper than commisary! How the hell can you manage
> to spend even 100$ a week on junk food there for 1 person? 99cent pork loin
> and tilapia for 3.99$?
>
> The guy is a loser extremo if he cant manage 5.99$ porterhouse into 50$ a
> week for one person. Certified Angus top round for 4.99$. Beer comparable
> to here, bread same (we make our own which is more fun, cheaper, and tastes
> better), rice 5cents more here he is.
>
> Sheesh.

Can we not stoop to the name calling level, please? Disagree to your
hearts content but debate with him over what he says, not just that he
said it.
Commissaries are a great benefit of military service and we swear by
'em. What my family does is hit the commissary at least twice a month,
then get the random or sale stuff locally. We get a lot of our meat at
Sam's Club as they really have some great meat. I'm all atwitter to hear
that we're getting a Costco next year and I'm told I'll love their
produce and meat more.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 17:49:35 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Prices vary greatly by location it seems. Jill quotes meat prices I
>can't routinely get. Last night I did get a good price on boneless,
>skinless chicken breasts for my chicken picata at $1.99/pound. I stocked up.

Yes, they do. The boneless skinless chicken breasts here are
$1.69/pound. If I didn't already have a few packages I bought earlier
at that price, I might have gotten some.

I think the farther west you go, the lower many vegetable prices.
Those prices I quoted earlier, are probably even lower in northern
California at one of the excellent produce stores there. I can eat
well for even less there. I used to routinely come out of one of the
produce markets there for 3 or so stuffed bags of produce, for under
$10. And this was not run of the mill produce..it was really good
stuff. Sometimes even what folks in other parts of the country would
classify as exotic fruits and veggies...

Christine, who doesn't think she could ever live in the east again, in
part due to the higher veggie prices.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" > wrote

> *sigh* Never thought I'd do this. Rubymaiden, Sheldon turned me on to
> grinding my own beef.

So that's what he calls it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" > wrote in message
> Cshenk wrote:
>
>> Wow and thanks! Thats cheaper than commisary! How the hell can you
>> manage to spend even 100$ a week on junk food there for 1 person? 99cent
>> pork loin and tilapia for 3.99$?
>>
>> The guy is a loser extremo if he cant manage 5.99$ porterhouse into 50$ a
>> week for one person. Certified Angus top round for 4.99$. Beer
>> comparable to here, bread same (we make our own which is more fun,
>> cheaper, and tastes better), rice 5cents more here he is.
>>
>> Sheesh.

> Can we not stoop to the name calling level, please? Disagree to your
> hearts content but debate with him over what he says, not just that he
> said it.
> Commissaries are a great benefit of military service and we swear by 'em.
> What my family does is hit the commissary at least twice a month, then get
> the random or sale stuff locally. We get a lot of our meat at Sam's Club
> as they really have some great meat. I'm all atwitter to hear that we're
> getting a Costco next year and I'm told I'll love their produce and meat
> more.

Is some of the Sam's Club meat bathed in some sort of odd chemicals, like
the stuff at Wal Mart? (It's on the label - no arguing, please).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 23:00:17 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\""
> wrote:

>I absolutely *love* those Honeycrisp apples. I don't remember the cost
>but they are really expensive IIRC. I usually buy one or 2 at a time. It
>is cold and nasty out. Borsht anyone?

I saw some of those this week too. I almost got some. They were the
same price as the other apples, $0.99/pound.

I will have to try those....

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

> Is some of the Sam's Club meat bathed in some sort of odd chemicals, like
> the stuff at Wal Mart? (It's on the label - no arguing, please).

Gawd No~! I was shocked to discover that. Walmart YES, Sam's Club, not.
This is more restaurant quality produce and meat so you do have to buy
the larger cuts or multiple item packs.
I don't purchase saline injected meat. I notice that the price of good
produce at Sam's Club (again, seems more restaurant quality and packed
quantity) isn't really much cheaper than my Kroger but the quality is
excellent and often better than in the stores.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 7, 8:02 am, Sarah Gray > wrote:
> "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote . 186.121:
>

> > Sarah Gray > dropped this
> .17.102:in
> > rec.food.cooking

> >> All the meat you eat is $16.00 a pound? Maybe you should shop
> >> somewhere cheaper...

> >> $7 a day per person is $210 a month. Pretty small budget, but
> >> do-able, especially if you are someone who does not cook complicated
> >> things. I can feed myself and my daughter (including buying paper
> >> products and other non- food comestibles) on around $300 easily...

> >> The grocery price situation is not as dire as many make out.. you
> >> just have to know how to cook, be creative about it and be flexible
> >> about specific ingredients; buying things when they are on sale and
> >> such.

> > Whoosh... over the top of my head. I'm not sure what this whole thread
> > was about. Money is not a problem in my household but I'll be damned
> > if I'll spend $16.00 a pound for meat. Yes, for a special meal I'll
> > spend it but not often. Well, and for my seafood attack Lately we
> > have been buying larger packages and freezing. I know some folks have
> > limited freezer space. I don't really know what we spend a month on
> > grocery items but it's not at all what people might think. I can tell
> > you to the penny what the cat,dog and horse food costs though. I do
> > know if I had only $7 a day I could make due for the 2 of us. I'd be
> > buying a lot of legumes and sale meats for soups and stews. I'd have
> > to add funds for the GasX though. Gawd... $16.00 a pound... I'd be
> > ****ed.

> > Michael

> They said that meat alone for a meal for two would cost them $10 in
> their currency... I actually did the math wrong, that would make it
> $17.56 per pound in US dollars, assuming a quarter pound per serving.
> Even at a half pund per serving, that's more than I'd pay for meat,
> unless I had an unlimited budget, or was splurging for some reason.

Your math is correct, but 4 oz?
(I'm rounding 7.97 up to 8):
7/$8 = x/$10
Cross multiply.
$8x=$70
$8x/8=$70/8
$x= $8.75

That means that meat for two persons would cost $8.75 per pound (at
8oz per person). At your meager 4oz, your figure was correct, but I'd
count almost a pound for myself, and at least a quarter pound for my
spouse.

Meat is cheap in the USA. We have factory farming, and the butchering
is done mostly by undocumented immigrants. If this country decided to
go all Tancredo on the illegals, that $8.75 would be a lot closer to
the price we'd pay.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" wrote

> You can eat "decent" at $14 for two but certainly not much more than
> bare essentials... there'd be little fresh produce, not much in way of

Oh bull Sheldon. If you really think that, you must be only shopping at
high priced NY city delis.

> balogna costs like $5.... and then you need bread, mustard and maybe

Again, WAY off the mark.

> I spend a bit more than $100 a week on just food to feed just me,

Then you are a foolish shopper who hasnt a clue.

> decent on $7 an entire day I say is a pinnochio nosed fibber, or
> weighs in at less than my six cats... but then your idea of decent
> ain't mine.

Every price you listed was HIGHLY inflated. In case you didnt notice it,
the folks oversease from us looked up our prices on simple web searches. I
am sure they can find the price of ground beef at my local food lion etc is
far less nd if they look at BJ's even the 93% lean is less than 3$.

I assure you, I feed my family of 3 quite well on 200-250$ a month but that
also has a discount you are not eligible for (commisary). It would cost
about 275-325$ out in town for the same. We have shrimp, crab legs, sashimi
grade tuna, live crabs, live Oysters, live Clams, T-bone and other assorted
things at least 3 days a week. The other 4 days we have pork loin, other
fish such as salmon, catfish, tilapia, or a ground meat dish.

Just because you do not know how to eat well for less than 100$ a week for
one person, doesnt make that an average. Most of us are more savvy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> I absolutely *love* those Honeycrisp apples. I don't remember the cost
> but they are really expensive IIRC. I usually buy one or 2 at a time. It
> is cold and nasty out. Borsht anyone?
>
> Michael

Honeycrisp were always pricier last year. I haven't looked this. I think
they're still pretty new on the market if that makes any difference in
the price?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote

> You seem to think everyone lives in New York. Produce where I live is the
> least expensive thing you can buy even if you don't take the farmers
> market
> (closes October - March or so) and roadside produce stands into
> consideration. As for the rest of it, there's a good reason to live down
> south. We have a longer growing season, hence cheaper produce for locally

He inflated it all or is using the pricier 'fancy deli' shops only.

> grown items. Even with the imports, from the examples you gave (which I
> snipped) everything costs less. I cannot fathom $4/lb for what you call
> pre-ground "mystery meat" - ground chuck is $1.59/lb here. Even
> flash-frozen seafood is cheap.

You are right and he's just trying to show off before overseas folks. USA
food prices are very good compared to most countries.

Now, he might be right it he was shopping in Tokyo or London. Even in
Sasebo, it was hard to spend less than 450$ a month for the 3 of us. Many
who used fast foods and such prepared frozen sorts, spent close to 800$ a
month in Sasebo where beef of the cheap sort is often 12$ a lb in town and
6$ at the commisary.

Grin, only place I've ever seen '60% lean' ground beef. Doesnt come out
often but it happens when the 83% lean gets over 4$ a lb. That however is
in Japan, a noted place for high beef prices.

Oh side diatribe, I miss cheap Kobe beef. Cheap as in relative to
stateside.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote

> On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:18:51 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:

>>A lot of the food I eat makes more than one meal. A pot of sauce
>>makes a number of meals, and some of it went into last night's
>>lasagna, and that lasagna will make at least 8 good sized portions.
>>I have leftover beef stew in the refrigerator, and I'm thawing a
>>chicken for sometime over the weekend. That chicken will be
>>dinner along with some vegetables, and will be chicken salad for
>>lunch after that.

> I do the same thing. I almost have too much food cooking this way...
> I find myself having to put portions of whatever I cooked into the
> freezer, so that I am not sick of whatever I fixed.

I had to do this just recently. On top of all the leftovers I mentioned
(and more), we had turkey dinner ... you know that free turkey you
get from the supermarket? Well, I finally had to freeze leftover turkey,
too.

> However, it pays
> off, as I have ready made meals for work..with no extra work.

Hardly anything I make just makes one meal. Even a meatloaf makes
leftovers.

> I just made pizza dough and it will rest a day or so in the fridge to
> get a good flavor, and then go to pizza one night this weekend. Topped
> with "fresh" mozzarella, parmesan, and slivers of garlic...maybe some
> basil from the Asian market.

Nice!

> I have also been doing some baking lately... I made several things
> from Dorie Greenspan's book Baking: From My Home To Yours. One is a
> lovely date-walnut loaf,

Oh, do you think I could have the recipe for that? Maybe I can
find it online.

>and the other was a Swedish Visiting Cake. I
> am eeking them out to have with my tea every day. I had ingredients
> for both of these already here...so they cost me very, very little to
> make.
>
> I eat very well..almost too well.

You're certainly not settling for second best.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 18:18:26 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>Hardly anything I make just makes one meal. Even a meatloaf makes
>leftovers.

I was just thinking about that. I have short ribs in the freezer, and
I was thinking of turning them into the Hungarian short ribs. They
will probably make much more than I need..so again I will need to
freeze some of it for future work lunches. And I have a question for
you regarding this, since I have never made these before. Will they
freeze okay if I don't add the noodles to them before freezing? Or do
you think they will do okay freezing with the noodles?

>> I have also been doing some baking lately... I made several things
>> from Dorie Greenspan's book Baking: From My Home To Yours. One is a
>> lovely date-walnut loaf,

>Oh, do you think I could have the recipe for that? Maybe I can
>find it online.

Eeeekkk!!!!!!!!!! You are asking almost the impossible of me!! I
find it very difficult (for me) to sit down and type out recipes.... I
still have to write out my Parmesan Cheese balls for sky...I have been
promising those to her for eons now.

I could scan it, and send it to you as a pdf file..would that work.
And if you have the ambition to type it up for everyone, then go
ahead..LOL.

>You're certainly not settling for second best.

Well..within reason...LOL.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" > wrote in message
6.121...
> "cybercat" > dropped this :
> in rec.food.cooking
>

>> "Michael "Dog3"" > wrote
>>>
>>> *sigh* Never thought I'd do this. Rubymaiden, Sheldon turned me on to
>>> grinding my own beef.

>> So that's what he calls it.

> What shit you talking?

Sorry, I must have been channeling Greg Morrow for a minute.

!

I am in fact jealous of your ground meat. I have not gotten my meat
grinder yet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Homemade "TV Dinners"

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Christine Dabney" > wrote
>
>> On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 17:18:51 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
>> wrote:

>>>A lot of the food I eat makes more than one meal. A pot of sauce
>>>makes a number of meals, and some of it went into last night's
>>>lasagna, and that lasagna will make at least 8 good sized portions.
>>>I have leftover beef stew in the refrigerator, and I'm thawing a
>>>chicken for sometime over the weekend. That chicken will be
>>>dinner along with some vegetables, and will be chicken salad for
>>>lunch after that.

>> I do the same thing. I almost have too much food cooking this way...
>> I find myself having to put portions of whatever I cooked into the
>> freezer, so that I am not sick of whatever I fixed.

> I had to do this just recently. On top of all the leftovers I mentioned
> (and more), we had turkey dinner ... you know that free turkey you
> get from the supermarket? Well, I finally had to freeze leftover turkey,
> too.
>
>> However, it pays
>> off, as I have ready made meals for work..with no extra work.

> Hardly anything I make just makes one meal. Even a meatloaf makes
> leftovers.

I also make lots of food almost every time I cook. Do you freeze in
individual portions? I want to do this but no freezer containers that I have
seen look right for it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

FarmI wrote:

> "Dee.Dee" > wrote in message
> > http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/1...food/#more-146
> >
> > No wonder I'm broke and always hungry just tryin' to stay alive!

> You would be hungry if you eat the junk food mentioned in the article as
> it's empty calories - people who eat a lot of junk food are effectively
> starving themselves. But as for broke??? Are US food prices really so high
> for nutritious food?
>
> The report says that the average American spends $7/day on food and that
> surely can't be right as it's a miniscule amount of money. I did a currency
> converson and that is about $7.97 in my currency and, if the two of us were
> eating meat for an evening meal, I'd spend at least $10 in my currency just
> on the meat component of the meal.
>
> It was such a thought provoking post that I have now spent some time
> wandering cyberspace. Thank you.

Food in the US *is* cheap for the most part, the complaints are really
about the relative costs of healthy vs. junk food.

As for your meat comparison, the $10 you mention would be about right
for large steaks for two at a typical $4-5/lb. Add some broccoli and a
baked potato and you'd be at the $7/day per person cited. The same meal
with a nice chicken breast per person would probably run $5 pp. with
chicken at $2/lb or so. Those are every day prices, if you pay attention
to what's on sale you can go even cheaper. If you want some high end
Angus rib-eye it would be a bit more of course, and lower if you went
for more healthy portions than 1 lb pp.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Pete C." wrote:

> FarmI wrote:
> >
> > "Dee.Dee" > wrote in message
> > > http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2007/1...food/#more-146
> > >
> > > No wonder I'm broke and always hungry just tryin' to stay alive!

> > You would be hungry if you eat the junk food mentioned in the article as
> > it's empty calories - people who eat a lot of junk food are effectively
> > starving themselves. But as for broke??? Are US food prices really so high
> > for nutritious food?
> >
> > The report says that the average American spends $7/day on food and that
> > surely can't be right as it's a miniscule amount of money. I did a currency
> > converson and that is about $7.97 in my currency and, if the two of us were
> > eating meat for an evening meal, I'd spend at least $10 in my currency just
> > on the meat component of the meal.
> >
> > It was such a thought provoking post that I have now spent some time
> > wandering cyberspace. Thank you.

> Food in the US *is* cheap for the most part, the complaints are really
> about the relative costs of healthy vs. junk food.
>
> As for your meat comparison, the $10 you mention would be about right
> for large steaks for two at a typical $4-5/lb. Add some broccoli and a
> baked potato and you'd be at the $7/day per person cited. The same meal
> with a nice chicken breast per person would probably run $5 pp. with
> chicken at $2/lb or so. Those are every day prices, if you pay attention
> to what's on sale you can go even cheaper. If you want some high end
> Angus rib-eye it would be a bit more of course, and lower if you went
> for more healthy portions than 1 lb pp.

Sorry, was thinking more per dinner. Cut portions back and you easily
get the rest of the meals in.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 18:32:31 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>>> However, it pays
>>> off, as I have ready made meals for work..with no extra work.

>I also make lots of food almost every time I cook. Do you freeze in
>individual portions? I want to do this but no freezer containers that I have
>seen look right for it.

I use baggies a lot. And dollar stores, especially Dollar Tree do
well in in terms of freezer containers.
I am thinking of getting one of those new Handi-vacs this weekend, so
I can really get into freezing stuff in individual portions.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote

> On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 18:18:26 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:

>>Hardly anything I make just makes one meal. Even a meatloaf makes
>>leftovers.

> I was just thinking about that. I have short ribs in the freezer, and
> I was thinking of turning them into the Hungarian short ribs. They
> will probably make much more than I need..so again I will need to
> freeze some of it for future work lunches. And I have a question for
> you regarding this, since I have never made these before. Will they
> freeze okay if I don't add the noodles to them before freezing? Or do
> you think they will do okay freezing with the noodles?

I've never frozen it, but I freeze lasagna, I don't see why not.

>>> I have also been doing some baking lately... I made several things
>>> from Dorie Greenspan's book Baking: From My Home To Yours. One is a
>>> lovely date-walnut loaf,

>>Oh, do you think I could have the recipe for that? Maybe I can
>>find it online.

> Eeeekkk!!!!!!!!!! You are asking almost the impossible of me!!

No! Don't worry, I will look for it myself, or a different recipe.

> find it very difficult (for me) to sit down and type out recipes.... I
> still have to write out my Parmesan Cheese balls for sky...I have been
> promising those to her for eons now.

No worries. I know how it is.

> I could scan it, and send it to you as a pdf file..would that work.
> And if you have the ambition to type it up for everyone, then go
> ahead..LOL.

It sounds like a long recipe. I had been looking for a date nut recipe,
but I know my library will have the book, I can just go copy it.
I just checked, not only do they have it, they have a copy in my
local branch. Thanks!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 18:44:06 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>It sounds like a long recipe. I had been looking for a date nut recipe,
>but I know my library will have the book, I can just go copy it.
>I just checked, not only do they have it, they have a copy in my
>local branch. Thanks!
>
>nancy

It's not a long recipe, but any recipe over 3 or so lines is a pain in
the butt to copy out..at least for me...

If you get that book out, you might as well figure on seeing a ton of
things to make. I can't recommend this book enough!!!

There is a long thread on eGullet about baking from this book. The
pictures are truly food porn. And Dorie Greenspan contributes to this
thread pretty often, so if you run into difficulties with a recipe,
she can often offer insights and fixes.
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=92574

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ms P" wrote
"Cshenk" wrote in message

>> Just because you do not know how to eat well for less than 100$ a week
>> for one person, doesnt make that an average. Most of us are more savvy.

> I would say that most of us can feed two people for less than 100$ a week.
> He thinks it's some kind of brag to spend that much on groceries.

Yes, he seems to. Maybe I would think of it as an 'oh pity me' ploy but the
first day I entered in this group he was destroying a thread where a new
home maker on limited income was asking for HELP with shopping and
self-avowed they didnt know much about cooking. They'd just moved out from
home and asked for help with simple ideas fer christsakes.

> Sometimes we eat real cheap just because we like it.

Hey, lots of my meals do not cost much. I am chomping down on a batch of
black-eyed peas with smoked hamhock over rice. The beans were less than a
$, the hamhock 1.29$lb and the rice is at most 7cents a cup prepared. I've
got 16 or more servings for roughly 2.50$ (including the onion and spices)
plus the rice costs. Nothing wrong with that.

We also use ramin and udon packs as we like them and know how to add stuff
to make them truely epicurial delights.

My 'secret' as such is to not use many pre-processed things like hamburger
helper etc. Instead, I learned to cook from basic things. I dont get
pre-peeled carrots and silly stuff like that. Instead I get jicama and
limes and all sorts of stuff. Generally 75% of my cart is loaded with fresh
veggies of the season and basic staples like flour, beans, rice, meats. The
other 25% varies with toilet paper and such other things we all need plus a
few convinece foods like frozen burritos or canned soups.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> I had to do this just recently. On top of all the leftovers I mentioned
>> (and more), we had turkey dinner ... you know that free turkey you
>> get from the supermarket? Well, I finally had to freeze leftover turkey,
>> too.

> I also make lots of food almost every time I cook. Do you freeze in
> individual portions? I want to do this but no freezer containers that I
> have seen look right for it.

I freeze it in manageable amounts so when I thaw it, it's not
much more than one meal for 2. I have these cube-like
containers from Tupperware that are perfect for most things,
including sauce or chili. They hold about 3 cups. Very handy.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" wrote

>The ****ing mind reader knows where I get all my food... why don't you
>make another attack, LOSER... show the entire world what a ****ing

The only loser here is You, Sheldon. It's amusing that even a newbie like
me can see it. You appear the only one unaware.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Christine Dabney wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 18:32:31 -0500, "cybercat" >
> wrote:

> > I also make lots of food almost every time I cook. Do you freeze in
> > individual portions? I want to do this but no freezer containers
> > that I have seen look right for it.
> >

> I use baggies a lot. And dollar stores, especially Dollar Tree do
> well in in terms of freezer containers.
> I am thinking of getting one of those new Handi-vacs this weekend, so
> I can really get into freezing stuff in individual portions.

For the most part, I make enough for dinner and one lunch. When I'm
done, I pack part of it into one of my lunch containers right away.
Once food is packed in one of those, it's out of temptation and just
goes into the refrigerator.

Sometimes, with soup or baked pasta, I'll make considerably more.
Similarly for pot roast, pulled pork, that sort of thing. Then other
methods may be employed.

Brian

won't shut up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote

> On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 18:44:06 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:

>>It sounds like a long recipe. I had been looking for a date nut recipe,
>>but I know my library will have the book, I can just go copy it.
>>I just checked, not only do they have it, they have a copy in my
>>local branch. Thanks!

> It's not a long recipe, but any recipe over 3 or so lines is a pain in
> the butt to copy out..at least for me...
>
> If you get that book out, you might as well figure on seeing a ton of
> things to make. I can't recommend this book enough!!!

No kidding.

> There is a long thread on eGullet about baking from this book. The
> pictures are truly food porn. And Dorie Greenspan contributes to this
> thread pretty often, so if you run into difficulties with a recipe,
> she can often offer insights and fixes.
> http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=92574

That is funny. I will definitely be checking out the book.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Default User" > wrote

> Sometimes, with soup or baked pasta, I'll make considerably more.
> Similarly for pot roast, pulled pork, that sort of thing. Then other
> methods may be employed.

Do you freeze pulled pork?

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 19:18:39 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"Default User" > wrote
>
>> Sometimes, with soup or baked pasta, I'll make considerably more.
>> Similarly for pot roast, pulled pork, that sort of thing. Then other
>> methods may be employed.

>Do you freeze pulled pork?
>
>nancy

I have done that in the past. For me, it seems to do really well.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Cshenk" > wrote:

> Oh side diatribe, I miss cheap Kobe beef. Cheap as in relative to
> stateside.

Kobe beef in the US is a ripoff. These animals are raised in the US.
They are shipped to Japan, finished off and butchered. Some of the meat
is then shipped back to the US.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote

> On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 19:18:39 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
> wrote:

>>Do you freeze pulled pork?

> I have done that in the past. For me, it seems to do really well.

Thanks. I've wanted to try some recipes I've seen, but no sense
making so much if I can't use it.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
>>> I have also been doing some baking lately... I made several things
>>> from Dorie Greenspan's book Baking: From My Home To Yours. One is a
>>> lovely date-walnut loaf,

..

> Christine

Have you made the Korovas cookie?
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 19:47:24 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
.. .

>.
>>
>> Christine

>Have you made the Korovas cookie?
>Dee Dee

Not yet, but they are on my list. Dorie Greenspan now calls them
World Peace Cookies. Maybe I will make some this weekend....hmmmm. I
have all the ingredients, including Fleur de Sel.....

Christine, heading to work soon, for another night of fun and
excitement....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 7 Dec 2007 19:47:24 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
. ..

>>.
>>>
>>> Christine

>>Have you made the Korovas cookie?
>>Dee Dee
>>

> Not yet, but they are on my list. Dorie Greenspan now calls them
> World Peace Cookies. Maybe I will make some this weekend....hmmmm. I
> have all the ingredients, including Fleur de Sel.....
>
> Christine, heading to work soon, for another night of fun and
> excitement....

Let me know after you make them what you think about substituting a Trader
Joe's organic sugar, not the raw or turbinado. Any brown sugar really
upsets my stomach in a horrible way. Trader Joe's sugar actually
smells -- good! I have been using it solely when a recipe calls for white
sugar, or white and brown sugar.

The last three loaves (1) banana 2) date 3) mango and today a mango betty,
I have thrown out -- not because of the sugar, 'I assume,' but just that
we've decided we cannot stand a loaf with fruit in it anymore. Even the
fruit cobblers are too cloying. I'm going to have to go one to "finer
things."

Have a fun and frollicky evening ;-))

Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" wrote

>Perhaps you need to learn how to cook with more imagination and choose
>more healthful foods... but still it's very difficult to eat properly
>on $7 a day as a steady diet. Sure you can fill your tank, $7 buys a
>lot of starchy fatty foods but very little fresh produce and lean meats

You snipped the wrong text Sheldon and left that of another then replied to
me.

I do not eat unhealthy starchy foods nor 'junk'. You are the one who can't
shop so thinks it takes 100$ a week for one person in the USA. Obviously
you are wrong but eat prepared junk foods like TV dinners and such or you
cant use that much money up in your area.

I even looked up NY city where you do not live (but in a cheaper area 2.5
hours away i think you said)and it isnt that much there either.

Meantime, this little family of 3 who eats well for far less than you do as
a 1 person, is munching on imported brie over stone crackers with genoa
salami. Bosk pears at the side with drizzle of clover honey.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" wrote
"Cshenk" wrote:

>> Every price you listed was HIGHLY inflated. ?

>Your opinion of yourself is what's HIGHLY inflated.

Flame on child. You cant even quote accurately. I had to add ypour headers
for you.

>In case you didnt notice it,
>> the folks oversease from us looked up our prices on simple web searches.
>> ?I
>> am sure they can find the price of ground beef at my local food lion etc
>> is
>> far less nd if they look at BJ's even the 93% lean is less than 3$.

>You functionally illterate *******.. where did I say I buy ground meat
>at any price... I didn't... I grind my own, always. And on average I
>pay $2-$3 a pound for the meat I grind.

You referenced grinding your own but also referenced 4$ a lb for ground.
Then you backtracked in another message to 1.57$ but never mentioned the fat
amount in any of them. In short, you are an iodiot shopper who needs help
but too silly to listen. Even here you backtrack yourself and meat suddenly
is 2-3$ a lb vice what you posted.

BTW, I am not illiterate but I do have dyslexia. Feel free to have fun with
that. Other than many with my level who never learn to read, I overcame it
and just have a lingering spelling issue. Being picked on for my spelling
just makes me laugh so have at it.

>Anyone who eats preground mystery meat doesn't eat well, just that simple.

Again, you sidle to the side and show you are not very savvy on anything.
You just like to abuse others. There's nothing wrong with perogies and
ground beef filling or any other ground beef dish. It's wha you make of it
that matters.

Why do you give me the feeling your kitchen is full of hamberger helper and
TV dinners? You talk the talk too heavy and I suspect are not really a
cook.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cshenk" > wrote in message

> "Ms P" wrote
> "Cshenk" wrote in message
>
>>> Just because you do not know how to eat well for less than 100$ a week
>>> for one person, doesnt make that an average. Most of us are more
>>> savvy.

>> I would say that most of us can feed two people for less than 100$ a
>> week. He thinks it's some kind of brag to spend that much on groceries.

> Yes, he seems to. Maybe I would think of it as an 'oh pity me' ploy but
> the first day I entered in this group he was destroying a thread where a
> new home maker on limited income was asking for HELP with shopping and
> self-avowed they didnt know much about cooking. They'd just moved out
> from home and asked for help with simple ideas fer christsakes.
>
>> Sometimes we eat real cheap just because we like it.

> Hey, lots of my meals do not cost much. I am chomping down on a batch of
> black-eyed peas with smoked hamhock over rice. The beans were less than a
> $, the hamhock 1.29$lb and the rice is at most 7cents a cup prepared.
> I've got 16 or more servings for roughly 2.50$ (including the onion and
> spices) plus the rice costs. Nothing wrong with that.
>
> We also use ramin and udon packs as we like them and know how to add stuff
> to make them truely epicurial delights.
>
> My 'secret' as such is to not use many pre-processed things like hamburger
> helper etc. Instead, I learned to cook from basic things. I dont get
> pre-peeled carrots and silly stuff like that. Instead I get jicama and
> limes and all sorts of stuff. Generally 75% of my cart is loaded with
> fresh veggies of the season and basic staples like flour, beans, rice,
> meats. The other 25% varies with toilet paper and such other things we
> all need plus a few convinece foods like frozen burritos or canned soups.

He's been exactly the same obnoxious know-it-all since I started reading
this group 8 years ago. I ignore him.

When I started cooking processed foods were expensive compared to scratch
cooking. Since we were poor most of the time I scratch cooked. I still
scratch cook most of the time because it's both better and tons cheaper.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote

>>>on $7 a day as a steady diet. Sure you can fill your tank, $7 buys a
>>>lot of starchy fatty foods but very little fresh produce and lean meats

>> can't shop so thinks it takes 100$ a week for one person in the USA.
>> Obviously you are wrong but eat prepared junk foods like TV dinners and
>> such or you cant use that much money up in your area.
>>
>> Meantime, this little family of 3 who eats well for far less than you do
>> as a 1 person, is munching on imported brie over stone crackers with
>> genoa salami. Bosk pears at the side with drizzle of clover honey.

> Hmm....let's see what's on sale near Sheldon's group home:
>
> http://www.pricechopper.com/WeeklyAd/WeeklyAd_Store_S.las?-token.date=2007-12-07&-token.S=4A2T9R20D691d78P78329E03PknN6L5V945C9F|131 05|0712071715|||||

Wow and thanks! Thats cheaper than commisary! How the hell can you manage
to spend even 100$ a week on junk food there for 1 person? 99cent pork loin
and tilapia for 3.99$?

The guy is a loser extremo if he cant manage 5.99$ porterhouse into 50$ a
week for one person. Certified Angus top round for 4.99$. Beer comparable
to here, bread same (we make our own which is more fun, cheaper, and tastes
better), rice 5cents more here he is.

Sheesh.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" wrote
> "Cshenk"

> *sigh* Never thought I'd do this. Rubymaiden, Sheldon turned me on to
> grinding my own beef. Honestly, I don't know what I pay for a pound of it.
> I buy chuck and it is usually from Sam's Club. I always do a large amount

I grind my own too on occasion. That wasnt the point. Links to groceries
in his local markets show 1/2 the price of what he claimed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" wrote:
> Christine wrote:
>
> ??>> I probably eat for $7 per day quite frequently
>
> CD> I eat for less than that, quite often. I have been
> CD> averaging the past few weeks, under $30/week. And I am not
> CD> eating poorly at all. I have been allotting myself
> CD> $40/week and I am having money left over each week. AND
> CD> that has been allowing for an occasional treat from Trader
> CD> Joes.
>
> CD> I am always astounded at the prices that Sheldon quotes for
> CD> groceries in his area. A dollar for an apple?
>
> Depends on the apple! Quite a lot can weigh a pound each. Some
> varieties seem to have increased in size over the years which is
> a pity since I think a bite of apple tastes best if it includes
> some skin. Fujis are among the best tasting apples, IMHO, but
> the stores seem to be selling monsters at the moment :-(

These were actually $2.19 a pound; galas, fujis, red delicious,
macintosh, and a few others.. each apple weighs about half a pound.
The granny smiths were on sale at $1.79/lb, those were quite large
too... I bought an assortment, a couple of each. I could have bought
macs or red delicious in 3 pound cello bags/$2.99... very small apples
and really didn't look very nice... maybe these are the ones the
people who don't believe are buying. I really don't give a rat's B-
hind... they are just proving that they don't eat very well and are
crying sour grapes.
I don't know what's unbelieveable about a dollar for one apple...
these are very nice picture perfect apples. There's a big difference
in flavor and texture, the more expensive apples are very good... I've
eaten those puny apples when there is nothing else, they are not very
good... they're tasteless, dry, and mealy and a good portion is core
so they are really no bargain. In fact I did buy two bags of those
puny macs two weeks ago, I've been tossing them out with the carrots I
buy for the deer. Now these are wonderful carrots, product of Canada,
very large, very crisp, very sweet, lovely carrots... I don't know why
they're so inexpensive, a 5lb bag is $2.99, they were on sale for
$2.49 last week so I bought four bags. The 1lb bags of skinny Dole
carrots are 99 cents, which would you buy. I toss out four carrots
each evening, the same four deer show up every day at dusk, a doe with
her twins (one I can now tell is a boy), and another doe who is alwasy
part of the group.
I enjoy watching those beauties munch, to me it's worth it... can't do
such from the grave. Hey, everyone is entitled to their own
priorities, I like to eat well and I like to enjoy the wildlife...
others spend their dollars on other entertainment, perhaps ball game
tickets, and gambling. I don't gamble and I've never bought a ticket
to a sporting event my entire life... I don't really know everything,
I don't know dick about ball games nor do I care... I've never watched
more than five minutes of a ball game on TV even though it's free, a
bunch of low IQ adults who didn't grow up, can barely form an
intelligible sentence, running around chasing a ball like ten year
olds doesn't interest me.

Sheldon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> [...]

> each evening, the same four deer show up every day at dusk, a doe with
> her twins (one I can now tell is a boy), and another doe who is alwasy
> part of the group.
> I enjoy watching those beauties munch, to me it's worth it... can't do
> such from the grave. Hey, everyone is entitled to their own
> priorities, I like to eat well and I like to enjoy the wildlife...
> others spend their dollars on other entertainment, perhaps ball game
> tickets, and gambling. I don't gamble and I've never bought a ticket
> to a sporting event my entire life... I don't really know everything,
> I don't know dick about ball games nor do I care... I've never watched
> more than five minutes of a ball game on TV even though it's free, a
> bunch of low IQ adults who didn't grow up, can barely form an
> intelligible sentence, running around chasing a ball like ten year

And yet, you're still a dickhead.