Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

Default Boston Brown Bread

I'm ready to try making some Boston Brown Bread for the holidays.
( corn meal, raisins, wheat flour, etc )

Method;
Place batter in a ( 1 lb.? ) coffee can, seal well,
stand in a water bath, and bake....

I don't have any smooth cans ! ( coffee or otherwise )
What would be a clever alternative ?

<rj>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"<RJ>" > wrote in message

> I'm ready to try making some Boston Brown Bread for the holidays.
> ( corn meal, raisins, wheat flour, etc )
>
> Method;
> Place batter in a ( 1 lb.? ) coffee can, seal well,
> stand in a water bath, and bake....
>
> I don't have any smooth cans ! ( coffee or otherwise )
> What would be a clever alternative ?
>

> <rj>

I don't have one on hand right now, but in the past (when I've lost track of
my coffee cans) I've used the larger pork and beans cans. The product is
cheap and therefore the cans are cheap. BTW, I've never put my bread in
sealed cans or in a water bath. I've just measured for you. My old coffee
cans, filled to the brim with water, measure 33 fluid ounces. I've never
had a problem getting the bread out of the cans despite the little
indentations in the can. The bread shrinks as it bakes. Just be sure to
grease the inside of the cans. HTH
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"<RJ>" > wrote in message

> I'm ready to try making some Boston Brown Bread for the holidays.
> ( corn meal, raisins, wheat flour, etc )
>
> Method;
> Place batter in a ( 1 lb.? ) coffee can, seal well,
> stand in a water bath, and bake....
>
> I don't have any smooth cans ! ( coffee or otherwise )
> What would be a clever alternative ?
>

> <rj>

I don't have one on hand right now, but in the past (when I've lost track of
my coffee cans) I've used the larger pork and beans cans. The product is
cheap and therefore the cans are cheap. BTW, I've never put my bread in
sealed cans or in a water bath. I've just measured for you. My old coffee
cans, filled to the brim with water, measure 33 fluid ounces. I've never
had a problem getting the bread out of the cans despite the little
indentations in the can. The bread shrinks as it bakes. Just be sure to
grease the inside of the cans. HTH
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"<RJ>" > wrote in message

> I'm ready to try making some Boston Brown Bread for the holidays.
> ( corn meal, raisins, wheat flour, etc )
>
> Method;
> Place batter in a ( 1 lb.? ) coffee can, seal well,
> stand in a water bath, and bake....
>
> I don't have any smooth cans ! ( coffee or otherwise )
> What would be a clever alternative ?

I use wide mouth canning jars. The ones with no indentions at all

like this
http://www.freshpreserving.com/produ...php?page_id=19

or

http://tinyurl.com/2tapyz

We bake it in the crockpot but I would think this would work in the oven as
well.

Good luck.

Cindi

> <rj>

Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 08:38:58 -0800, "Cindi - HappyMamatoThree"
> wrote:

>> I don't have any smooth cans ! ( coffee or otherwise )
>> What would be a clever alternative ?

>I use wide mouth canning jars. The ones with no indentions at all
>
>like this
>http://www.freshpreserving.com/produ...php?page_id=19
>
>or
>
>http://tinyurl.com/2tapyz
>
>We bake it in the crockpot but I would think this would work in the oven as
>well.
>
>Good luck.
>
>Cindi

Wide-mouth canning jars.

EXCELLENT IDEA !

Thanks so much .

<rj>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindi - HappyMamatoThree wrote:

> "<RJ>" > wrote in message
> >
> > I'm ready to try making some Boston Brown Bread for the holidays.
> > ( corn meal, raisins, wheat flour, etc )
> >
> > Method;
> > Place batter in a ( 1 lb.? ) coffee can, seal well,
> > stand in a water bath, and bake....
> >
> > I don't have any smooth cans ! ( coffee or otherwise )
> > What would be a clever alternative ?

> I use wide mouth canning jars. The ones with no indentions at all
>
> like this
> http://www.freshpreserving.com/produ...php?page_id=19
>
> or
>
> http://tinyurl.com/2tapyz
>
> We bake it in the crockpot but I would think this would work in the oven as
> well.
>
> Good luck.

Have baked Brown Bread in the cans that purchased brown bread came in.

What else do you bake in the slow cooker if anything? The older leaflet
(came with the first slow cooker) said cakes etc could be baked in
coffee cans. The newer leaflet (for the present slow cooker) says cakes
can only be baked in their special 'accessory', which looks remarkably
like a...coffee can.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> What else do you bake in the slow cooker if anything? The older leaflet
> (came with the first slow cooker) said cakes etc could be baked in
> coffee cans. The newer leaflet (for the present slow cooker) says cakes
> can only be baked in their special 'accessory', which looks remarkably
> like a...coffee can.

I have done banana bread, zuchini bread, carrot bread, and pumpkin bread. I
have been considering using silicone muffin cups to do muffins, just for the
heck of it, but haven't done it yet. I also have several cobblers that do
really well in the slow cooker. I haven't ever used any special accessory
just the glass jars. I like the glass jars better than the cans it seems to
get a more even bake.

Cindi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindi - HappyMamatoThree wrote:

> > What else do you bake in the slow cooker if anything? The older leaflet
> > (came with the first slow cooker) said cakes etc could be baked in
> > coffee cans. The newer leaflet (for the present slow cooker) says cakes
> > can only be baked in their special 'accessory', which looks remarkably
> > like a...coffee can.

> I have done banana bread, zuchini bread, carrot bread, and pumpkin bread.

LOL OK don't really like any of those things all that much. Would a
regular cake recipe work in the slow cooker?

> I have been considering using silicone muffin cups to do muffins, just for the
> heck of it, but haven't done it yet. I also have several cobblers that do
> really well in the slow cooker. I haven't ever used any special accessory
> just the glass jars. I like the glass jars better than the cans it seems to
> get a more even bake.
>
> Cindi

TY! Got a cobbler recipe you wouldn't mind sharing? The idea of baking
in the slow cooker fascinates me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Cindi - HappyMamatoThree wrote:
>>
>> > What else do you bake in the slow cooker if anything? The older leaflet
>> > (came with the first slow cooker) said cakes etc could be baked in
>> > coffee cans. The newer leaflet (for the present slow cooker) says cakes
>> > can only be baked in their special 'accessory', which looks remarkably
>> > like a...coffee can.

>> I have done banana bread, zuchini bread, carrot bread, and pumpkin bread.

> LOL OK don't really like any of those things all that much. Would a
> regular cake recipe work in the slow cooker?

I know that my carrot cake recipe works. The real trick we have found
(daughter and I do this together usually so it's a we) is to make sure not
to over fill the jars and to keep the moisture level up by not opening the
crockpot while the bread or cake is baking.

Enjoy!
(recipe is at the bottom)

Cindi

>> I have been considering using silicone muffin cups to do muffins, just
>> for the
>> heck of it, but haven't done it yet. I also have several cobblers that
>> do
>> really well in the slow cooker. I haven't ever used any special
>> accessory
>> just the glass jars. I like the glass jars better than the cans it seems
>> get a more even bake.
>>
>> Cindi

> TY! Got a cobbler recipe you wouldn't mind sharing? The idea of baking
> in the slow cooker fascinates me.

This one I have used two or three times and it is quite good. It's a take on
the easy cobbler recipe I use in the oven. You can sub whatever fruit you
like of course. If you use canned fruit, sub the fruit juice in the can for
the water.

CROCKPOT BLACK AND BLUE COBBLER

1 cup self-rising flour
1 1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 cups fresh or frozen blackberries
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
3/4 cup water
1 teaspoon grated orange peel

Butter the pan of a 5 quart slow cooker well (I melt a quarter of a stick of
butter and brush it into the crock pot). Combine flour, 3/4 cup sugar,
baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Combine eggs, milk and butter;
stir into dry ingredients, just until moistened. Spread this batter evenly
over the bottom of the slow cooker pan. In a saucepan, combine berries,
water, orange peel and remaining sugar; bring to a boil. Remove from heat;
immediately pour over batter in slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 2
hours without opening the lid. At two hours check the cobbler with a
toothpick inserted in the batter, when it comes out clean it's done. Turn
cooker off. Uncover and let stand for 30 minutes before serving. Serves 6 to
8.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindi - HappyMamatoThree wrote:

> >> I have done banana bread, zuchini bread, carrot bread, and pumpkin bread.

> > LOL OK don't really like any of those things all that much. Would a
> > regular cake recipe work in the slow cooker?

> I know that my carrot cake recipe works. The real trick we have found
> (daughter and I do this together usually so it's a we) is to make sure not
> to over fill the jars and to keep the moisture level up by not opening the
> crockpot while the bread or cake is baking.

OK that makes a lot of sense. TY!

> Enjoy!
> (recipe is at the bottom)
>
> Cindi
>

> > TY! Got a cobbler recipe you wouldn't mind sharing? The idea of baking
> > in the slow cooker fascinates me.

> This one I have used two or three times and it is quite good. It's a take on
> the easy cobbler recipe I use in the oven. You can sub whatever fruit you
> like of course. If you use canned fruit, sub the fruit juice in the can for
> the water.

TY again. This sounds really good. Thought it would need to bake for
hours and hours. Two hours (or so) isn't bad at all.