Posted to rec.food.cooking
ivk ivk is offline

Default How to fine-grate a chunk of chocolate

I need to fine-grate small chunks of chocolate, but cannot come up
with a sutable technology. I tried to freeze them and then scrub them
with a knife, but this was way too labor intensive, I eneded up just
cutting them into ~3mm pieces (which is not exactly what I was trying
to achieve). Any suggestions ?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ivk wrote:
> I need to fine-grate small chunks of chocolate, but cannot come up
> with a sutable technology. I tried to freeze them and then scrub them
> with a knife, but this was way too labor intensive, I eneded up just
> cutting them into ~3mm pieces (which is not exactly what I was trying
> to achieve). Any suggestions ?

What type of chocolate?
What degree of fineness?
What is your ultimate use?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
> ivk wrote:
>> I need to fine-grate small chunks of chocolate, but cannot come up
>> with a sutable technology. I tried to freeze them and then scrub them
>> with a knife, but this was way too labor intensive, I eneded up just
>> cutting them into ~3mm pieces (which is not exactly what I was trying
>> to achieve). Any suggestions ?

> What type of chocolate?
> What degree of fineness?
> What is your ultimate use?

What's yer favorite color?

*zing*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 30, 8:45 pm, ivk > wrote:
> I need to fine-grate small chunks of chocolate, but cannot come up
> with a sutable technology. I tried to freeze them and then scrub them
> with a knife, but this was way too labor intensive, I eneded up just
> cutting them into ~3mm pieces (which is not exactly what I was trying
> to achieve). Any suggestions ?

Hey, this may be really random, but go to : www.youtube.com/shirtwithcracker
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 30, 9:45 pm, ivk > wrote:
> I need to fine-grate small chunks of chocolate, but cannot come up
> with a sutable technology. I tried to freeze them and then scrub them
> with a knife, but this was way too labor intensive, I eneded up just
> cutting them into ~3mm pieces (which is not exactly what I was trying
> to achieve). Any suggestions ?

Would a cheese grater or microplane grater give the result you are
looking for? http://microplane.com/

Jessica

Posted to rec.food.cooking
ivk ivk is offline

> What type of chocolate?

Sold in ~1cm thick blocks, standard consistency.

> What degree of fineness?

Let's say 1mm.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
ivk ivk is offline

A fine grater will probably work, but the chuncks are ~1cm, so it is
not clear how to hold them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 01 Dec 2007 03:22:47 GMT, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 18:45:46 -0800 (PST), ivk wrote:
>
>> I need to fine-grate small chunks of chocolate, but cannot come up
>> with a sutable technology. I tried to freeze them and then scrub them
>> with a knife, but this was way too labor intensive, I eneded up just
>> cutting them into ~3mm pieces (which is not exactly what I was trying
>> to achieve). Any suggestions ?

>MicroPlane Grater.
>
>-sw

Oh gosh, I just love those things... I have 3 now...all different
ones for grating different things. I use them a lot.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
ivk > wrote:

> I need to fine-grate small chunks of chocolate, but cannot come up
> with a sutable technology. I tried to freeze them and then scrub them
> with a knife, but this was way too labor intensive, I eneded up just
> cutting them into ~3mm pieces (which is not exactly what I was trying
> to achieve). Any suggestions ?

Use an actual grater, rather than a knife.

Microplane, if you've got one.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 30 Nov 2007 08:30:45p, ivk meant to say...

> A fine grater will probably work, but the chuncks are ~1cm, so it is
> not clear how to hold them.

1 cm.? I wouldn't even try. Way to small to try and grate decently.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Date: Fri, 11(XI)/30(XXX)/07(MMVII)

Today is: Feast of St. Andrew
Countdown 'til Christmas
3wks 1dys 3hrs
Hand me that crowbar... I must pry out
this bullet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 18:45:46 -0800 (PST), ivk wrote:
>
>> I need to fine-grate small chunks of chocolate, but cannot come up
>> with a sutable technology. I tried to freeze them and then scrub them
>> with a knife, but this was way too labor intensive, I eneded up just
>> cutting them into ~3mm pieces (which is not exactly what I was trying
>> to achieve). Any suggestions ?

> You could also use a truffle slicer, depending on what texture
> you're after.
>
> -sw

I would use one of those graters with a crank. Microplane if the pieces
were bigger.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ivk" > wrote in message
>I need to fine-grate small chunks of chocolate, but cannot come up
> with a sutable technology. I tried to freeze them and then scrub them
> with a knife, but this was way too labor intensive, I eneded up just
> cutting them into ~3mm pieces (which is not exactly what I was trying
> to achieve). Any suggestions ?

I have the wooden one which works pretty good.

http://fantes.com/images/12112chocolate.jpg
and
http://fantes.com/chocolate.htm#shaver

There are many others at Fantes.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ivk wrote:

> A fine grater will probably work, but the chuncks are ~1cm,
> so it is not clear how to hold them.

How about freeze them, then grind in a blade coffee grinder?
The grinder will heat them up, so it would be necessary to
grind them for minimum time.

If you have access to dry ice, you can put that in the
grinder to minimize heating effects.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 18:45:46 -0800 (PST), ivk wrote:
>
> > I need to fine-grate small chunks of chocolate, but cannot come up
> > with a sutable technology. I tried to freeze them and then scrub them
> > with a knife, but this was way too labor intensive, I eneded up just
> > cutting them into ~3mm pieces (which is not exactly what I was trying
> > to achieve). Any suggestions ?

> MicroPlane Grater.

Followed by Liquid Bandage. :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ivk" > wrote in message
>I need to fine-grate small chunks of chocolate, but cannot come up
> with a sutable technology. I tried to freeze them and then scrub them
> with a knife, but this was way too labor intensive, I eneded up just
> cutting them into ~3mm pieces (which is not exactly what I was trying
> to achieve). Any suggestions ?

Mouli grater. That way you're not touching the chocolate because that would
cause it to melt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:

> ivk wrote:
> >
> > A fine grater will probably work, but the chuncks are ~1cm,
> > so it is not clear how to hold them.

> How about freeze them, then grind in a blade coffee grinder?
> The grinder will heat them up, so it would be necessary to
> grind them for minimum time.
>
> If you have access to dry ice, you can put that in the
> grinder to minimize heating effects.

Sure. Chocolate is so much easier to cut when it is frozen than when it is
soft..... Not
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 30, 10:26�pm, ivk > wrote:
> > What type of chocolate?

> Sold in ~1cm thick blocks, standard consistency.

Not SIZE... 1cm is the size of your dick. TYPE, you wise shit! Milk,
semi sweet, bitter sweet...?

> > What degree of fineness?

> Let's say 1mm.

1 millimeter is like .040", that's not very fine at all, that's like
bird shot.

And you didn't answer for what will you use it, did you not understand
the question or are you just being a weenie.

TROLL!!!

Sheldon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ivk wrote:
> I need to fine-grate small chunks of chocolate, but cannot come up
> with a sutable technology. I tried to freeze them and then scrub them
> with a knife, but this was way too labor intensive, I eneded up just
> cutting them into ~3mm pieces (which is not exactly what I was trying
> to achieve). Any suggestions ?

I haven't tried this, but I suggest refrigerating it (not freezing) then
using a cuisinart with one of the thin blades. That's where you put the
product through the tube and press it down with the little cylander. My
reasoning is that having it cold will keep it from melting, and that
having it not frozen will keep it from being so hard that the blade
can't cut it. I have tried rough chopping chocolate with the S-shaped
blade, and that didn't work. A chunk just stuck to the blade.

--Lia