FoodBanter.com

-   -   Lifted off Chowhound (https://www.foodbanter.com/general-cooking/140289-lifted-off-chowhound.html)

Goomba38 17-11-2007 06:16 AM

Lifted off Chowhound

Too good not to share! I wish my local newspaper had the balls to do
restaurant reviews like this one!

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...203404,00.html

Little Malice[_4_] 17-11-2007 06:47 AM

Lifted off Chowhound

One time on Usenet, Goomba38 > said:

> Too good not to share! I wish my local newspaper had the balls to do
> restaurant reviews like this one!
>
> http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...203404,00.html

"One part of the menu, described as Divo Specials, lists dishes which
'were traditionally served to visiting dignitaries and the nobility of
the Ukraine'. I can only assume Ukrainians have a healthy disdain for
their dignitaries."

Heh heh... :-)

--
Jani in WA

Wayne Boatwright[_3_] 17-11-2007 06:50 AM

Lifted off Chowhound

Oh pshaw, on Fri 16 Nov 2007 10:16:38p, Goomba38 meant to say...

> Too good not to share! I wish my local newspaper had the balls to do
> restaurant reviews like this one!
>
> http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...203404,00.html

Amen to that, Goomba. I am sending this to a friend at work who is from
Ukraine. She will get a kick out of it!

--
November 15th,2007
¦ A mind is a terrible thing to lose... ¦
| |_ _ ,_ |/ , _ . .,_ _
| | |(_|| ||\/_)(_|||/|| |(_|
___ ._| ._|
.'=:-\
/.='( ` give thanks...
/. ^=.'-._..---.

Goomba38 17-11-2007 02:39 PM

Lifted off Chowhound

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

> They for sure don't do reviews like that in St. Louis. Or at least not
> that I've read. I don't follow our food sections here very often. I
> always find them uninspiring and insipid and best. The review you posted
> was vivid and funny with a wicked backlash. I would read the reviewer's
> column every time it was published. Thanks for the post.
>
> Michael

Yeah..mine seems to only do reviews (and all end up positive) on
their... advertisers! No one seems to be an impartial, food savvy critic.

Goomba38 17-11-2007 02:44 PM

Lifted off Chowhound

margaret suran wrote:

> The New York Times does it. Here is Wednesday's column by Frank Bruni,
> the current NY Times Food Critic.
>
> The restaurant, Harry Cipriani is world renowned, going back to Harry's
> Bar in Venice in the 1930's.
>
> http://events.nytimes.com/2007/11/14...ws/14rest.html

Bravo! Good for the NYTimes. In almost makes up for some of the stupid
stuff they've published over the years.

Sidenote: I very much enjoyed reading "Garlic and Sapphires, The Secret
Life of a Critic in Disguise" by Ruth Reichel a couple years ago.
Who knew it could be such hard work!?

Nancy Young 17-11-2007 02:53 PM

Lifted off Chowhound

"Goomba38" > wrote

> Michael "Dog3" wrote:
>
>> They for sure don't do reviews like that in St. Louis. Or at least not
>> that I've read. I don't follow our food sections here very often. I
>> always find them uninspiring and insipid and best. The review you posted
>> was vivid and funny with a wicked backlash. I would read the reviewer's
>> column every time it was published. Thanks for the post.

> Yeah..mine seems to only do reviews (and all end up positive) on their...
> advertisers! No one seems to be an impartial, food savvy critic.

I got such a laugh. In my paper, they first took away the ratings
(the best you could get were four pretzels) from the column that
rated pub type places. Now his reviews are never negative. They
used to be hilarious, the last one I remember he rated the bar in
Macaroni Grill.

Later they took away the stars from the restaurant reviewer. She
still tells it like it is, and that is often good for a laugh. My
favorites are the comments about snippy or obnoxious service.
That's got to be a fun read at work the day after.

nancy

Nancy Young 17-11-2007 02:56 PM

Lifted off Chowhound

"Michael "Dog3"" > wrote

> margaret suran > dropped this
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
>> Goomba38 wrote:
>>> Too good not to share! I wish my local newspaper had the balls to do
>>> restaurant reviews like this one!
>>>
>>> http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...203404,00.html

>> The New York Times does it. Here is Wednesday's column by Frank Bruni,
>> the current NY Times Food Critic.
>>
>> The restaurant, Harry Cipriani is world renowned, going back to Harry's
>> Bar in Venice in the 1930's.
>>
>> http://events.nytimes.com/2007/11/14...ws/14rest.html

> This was my favorite part of the review:
>
> "And cram they do. At times they place the Frisbee-size tables for four
> so tightly together that Harry Cipriani seems to be doing an haute
> impersonation of Prune or the Spotted Pig."

My favorite was:

One dining room is brightly lit, the other gloomy. If you go - perhaps
because you are in the grip of a terminal illness and need a laugh - I
recommend the latter. That way you won't have to look at the food
as well as taste it.

(still laughing) nancy

jmcquown 17-11-2007 03:26 PM

Lifted off Chowhound

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Michael "Dog3"" > wrote
>
>> margaret suran > dropped this
>> : in rec.food.cooking

>>> The New York Times does it. Here is Wednesday's column by Frank
>>> Bruni, the current NY Times Food Critic.
>>>
>>> The restaurant, Harry Cipriani is world renowned, going back to
>>> Harry's Bar in Venice in the 1930's.
>>>
>>> http://events.nytimes.com/2007/11/14...ws/14rest.html

>> This was my favorite part of the review:
>>
>> "And cram they do. At times they place the Frisbee-size tables for
>> four so tightly together that Harry Cipriani seems to be doing an
>> haute impersonation of Prune or the Spotted Pig."

> My favorite was:
>
> One dining room is brightly lit, the other gloomy. If you go - perhaps
> because you are in the grip of a terminal illness and need a laugh - I
> recommend the latter. That way you won't have to look at the food
> as well as taste it.
>
> (still laughing) nancy

Sounds like Gordon Ramsay on the last episode of Kitchen Nightmares. The
Shepherds Pie was mostly grease and gristle. Best eaten with the lights
off, thanks! (And I hate to tell him this but it's not made with ground
beef.)

Jill

Dee.Dee 17-11-2007 03:57 PM

Lifted off Chowhound

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "Michael "Dog3"" > wrote
>>
>>> margaret suran > dropped this
>>> : in rec.food.cooking

Loved reading this, thanks!
Dee Dee

Sarah Gray 18-11-2007 06:18 AM

Lifted off Chowhound

Goomba38 wrote:
> Too good not to share! I wish my local newspaper had the balls to do
> restaurant reviews like this one!
>
> http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...203404,00.html

I dunno. I think his Jewish forebears left the Ukraine because they
were sick of being killed. It's not like they would have eaten anything
off of that menu anyhow :)

--

Sarah Gray

Melba's Jammin' 18-11-2007 11:13 PM

Lifted off Chowhound

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Too good not to share! I wish my local newspaper had the balls to do
> restaurant reviews like this one!
>
> http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...203404,00.html

Your newspaper's legal department likely would discourage it. Somebody'd
find a lawsuit in there somewhere.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to

Goomba38 19-11-2007 03:04 PM

Lifted off Chowhound

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Goomba38 > wrote:
>
>> Too good not to share! I wish my local newspaper had the balls to do
>> restaurant reviews like this one!
>>
>> http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...203404,00.html

> Your newspaper's legal department likely would discourage it. Somebody'd
> find a lawsuit in there somewhere.

I'll look forward to hearing if anyone at the NYTimes gets sued over
this one then??

blake murphy 19-11-2007 07:53 PM

Lifted off Chowhound

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:04:57 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Goomba38 > wrote:
>>
>>> Too good not to share! I wish my local newspaper had the balls to do
>>> restaurant reviews like this one!
>>>
>>> http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...203404,00.html

>> Your newspaper's legal department likely would discourage it. Somebody'd
>> find a lawsuit in there somewhere.

>I'll look forward to hearing if anyone at the NYTimes gets sued over
>this one then??

i'm pretty sure this is well-plowed territory, and covered under first
amendment grounds, unless the reviewer knowingly and maliciously
spread falsehoods.

your pal,
blake

Dee.Dee 19-11-2007 09:24 PM

Lifted off Chowhound

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:04:57 -0500, Goomba38 >
> wrote:
>
>>Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Your newspaper's legal department likely would discourage it. Somebody'd
>>> find a lawsuit in there somewhere.

>>I'll look forward to hearing if anyone at the NYTimes gets sued over
>>this one then??

> i'm pretty sure this is well-plowed territory, and covered under first
> amendment grounds, unless the reviewer knowingly and maliciously
> spread falsehoods.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Do you remember when Oprah said something against the meat industry. First
amendment?

Dee Dee

Goomba38 19-11-2007 11:40 PM

Lifted off Chowhound

l, not -l wrote:
> On 19-Nov-2007, Goomba38 > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> Your newspaper's legal department likely would discourage it. Somebody'd
>>>
>>> find a lawsuit in there somewhere.

>> I'll look forward to hearing if anyone at the NYTimes gets sued over
>> this one then??

> I think I missed something; why would the NYTimes be sued over an article in
> a UK newspaper?

Ooops..sorry- the next linked story in this thread was an equally harsh
review of a restaurant in NYC.

Bobo Bonobo(R) 20-11-2007 12:04 AM

Lifted off Chowhound

On Nov 17, 7:07 am, "Michael \"Dog3\"" > wrote:
> Goomba38 > dropped this news:l-
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Too good not to share! I wish my local newspaper had the balls to do
> > restaurant reviews like this one!

> >http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...203404,00.html

> They for sure don't do reviews like that in St. Louis. Or at least not
> that I've read. I don't follow our food sections here very often. I
> always find them uninspiring and insipid and best. The review you posted
> was vivid and funny with a wicked backlash. I would read the reviewer's
> column every time it was published. Thanks for the post.

The guys in the band took me to Pueblo Solis yesterday. I'd never
been there before. OMG, the food was so good, especially the salsas.
The prices are high, and I've heard others have complaints about the
service, but the salsa was just spectacular.

> Michael

--Bryan

Gregory Morrow[_2_] 20-11-2007 01:42 AM

Lifted off Chowhound

Michael \"Dog3\" wrote:

> Goomba38 > dropped this news:l-
> : in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Too good not to share! I wish my local newspaper had the balls to do
> > restaurant reviews like this one!

> >http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...203404,00.html

> They for sure don't do reviews like that in St. Louis. Or at least not
> that I've read. I don't follow our food sections here very often. I
> always find them uninspiring and insipid and best. The review you posted
> was vivid and funny with a wicked backlash. I would read the reviewer's
> column every time it was published. Thanks for the post.

I like reading "service" features in the UK press, they tend to be
*very* colorful and even "over the top* as compared to similar stuff
here in the States...

By "service" articles I mean resto reviews, auto road tests, travel
articles, etc. I check _The Guardian_ and _The Independent_ every
week for such features, they make for juicy reading...

So much of US journalism is bland, boring, and pre - digested. I like
to see writers that are not afraid to offend someone...whethere it's a
road test, a restaurant or hotel review or whatever.

I liked that _NYT_ review that Margaret cited, we need more of that
kind of food writing...the _NYT_ publishes quite a few negative resto
reviews. So does the _Village Voice_...

As others have mentioned, the "food" sections of US newspapers have
become nothing but puff producers for the food industry, it's been
years frex since I've seen anything remotely critical in the "Food"
sections of the Chicawgo papers...the resto reviews are a little more
critical, they still have some "snap" to them when it warrants.

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow[_2_] 20-11-2007 01:49 AM

Lifted off Chowhound

Goomba38 wrote:

> Michael "Dog3" wrote:
> > They for sure don't do reviews like that in St. Louis. Or at least not
> > that I've read. I don't follow our food sections here very often. I
> > always find them uninspiring and insipid and best. The review you posted
> > was vivid and funny with a wicked backlash. I would read the reviewer's
> > column every time it was published. Thanks for the post.

> > Michael

> Yeah..mine seems to only do reviews (and all end up positive) on
> their... advertisers! No one seems to be an impartial, food savvy critic.

The Chicago "Food" sections have even dropped very useful features
such as grocery shopping price comparisons, don't want to offend any
advertisers, ya know.

Increasingly I go to various online forums and boards for that kind of
stuff...

--
Best
Greg

Melba's Jammin' 20-11-2007 03:47 AM

Lifted off Chowhound

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Goomba38 > wrote:
> >
> >> Too good not to share! I wish my local newspaper had the balls to do
> >> restaurant reviews like this one!
> >>
> >> http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...203404,00.html

> > Your newspaper's legal department likely would discourage it. Somebody'd
> > find a lawsuit in there somewhere.

> I'll look forward to hearing if anyone at the NYTimes gets sued over
> this one then??

Say what? That was a UK rag.

Melba's Jammin' 20-11-2007 03:50 AM

Lifted off Chowhound

In article >,
Goomba38 > wrote:

> margaret suran wrote:
>
> > The New York Times does it. Here is Wednesday's column by Frank Bruni,
> > the current NY Times Food Critic.
> >
> > The restaurant, Harry Cipriani is world renowned, going back to Harry's
> > Bar in Venice in the 1930's.
> >
> > http://events.nytimes.com/2007/11/14...ws/14rest.html

> Bravo! Good for the NYTimes. In almost makes up for some of the stupid
> stuff they've published over the years.
>
> Sidenote: I very much enjoyed reading "Garlic and Sapphires, The Secret
> Life of a Critic in Disguise" by Ruth Reichel a couple years ago.
> Who knew it could be such hard work!?

LOL! I read this: In the Sherry-Netherland hotel
as Sherry-Neanderthal hotel!

Wayne Boatwright[_3_] 20-11-2007 04:08 AM

Lifted off Chowhound

Oh pshaw, on Mon 19 Nov 2007 07:50:29p, Melba's Jammin' meant to say...

> In article >,
> Goomba38 > wrote:
>
>> margaret suran wrote:
>>
>> > The New York Times does it. Here is Wednesday's column by Frank Bruni,
>> > the current NY Times Food Critic.
>> >
>> > The restaurant, Harry Cipriani is world renowned, going back to

Harry's
>> > Bar in Venice in the 1930's.
>> >
>> > http://events.nytimes.com/2007/11/14...ws/14rest.html

>> Bravo! Good for the NYTimes. In almost makes up for some of the stupid
>> stuff they've published over the years.
>>
>> Sidenote: I very much enjoyed reading "Garlic and Sapphires, The Secret
>> Life of a Critic in Disguise" by Ruth Reichel a couple years ago.
>> Who knew it could be such hard work!?

> LOL! I read this: In the Sherry-Netherland hotel
> as Sherry-Neanderthal hotel!

That place is not quite that old, although it's been around a long time (80
years). :-)

--
November 15th,2007
¦ A mind is a terrible thing to lose... ¦
|_| _, _ _
| |(_||_)|_)\_|
___ | ._|
| |_ _ ,_ |/ , _ . .,_ _
| | |(_|| ||\/_)(_|||/|| |(_|
___ ._| ._|
.'=:-\
/.='( ` give thanks...
/. ^=.'-._..---.

Boron Elgar[_1_] 20-11-2007 04:13 AM

Lifted off Chowhound

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 20:50:29 -0600, Melba's Jammin'
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Goomba38 > wrote:
>
>> margaret suran wrote:
>>
>> > The New York Times does it. Here is Wednesday's column by Frank Bruni,
>> > the current NY Times Food Critic.
>> >
>> > The restaurant, Harry Cipriani is world renowned, going back to Harry's
>> > Bar in Venice in the 1930's.
>> >
>> > http://events.nytimes.com/2007/11/14...ws/14rest.html

>> Bravo! Good for the NYTimes. In almost makes up for some of the stupid
>> stuff they've published over the years.
>>
>> Sidenote: I very much enjoyed reading "Garlic and Sapphires, The Secret
>> Life of a Critic in Disguise" by Ruth Reichel a couple years ago.
>> Who knew it could be such hard work!?

>LOL! I read this: In the Sherry-Netherland hotel
>as Sherry-Neanderthal hotel!

I've stayed there in more than a few places in the world....(shudder).

Boron

blake murphy 20-11-2007 08:13 PM

Lifted off Chowhound

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 15:24:47 -0500, "Dee.Dee" >
wrote:

>"blake murphy" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:04:57 -0500, Goomba38 >
>> wrote:

>>>I'll look forward to hearing if anyone at the NYTimes gets sued over
>>>this one then??

>> i'm pretty sure this is well-plowed territory, and covered under first
>> amendment grounds, unless the reviewer knowingly and maliciously
>> spread falsehoods.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>Do you remember when Oprah said something against the meat industry. First
>amendment?
>
>Dee Dee

yes.

In May 1996, some cattle producers filed a $10.3 million suit against
Oprah and Lyman in the Texas state court, under the Texas False
Disparagement of Perishable Food Products Act, claiming, business
disparagement, negligence and defamation.

[...]

In February 2000, a federal court dismissed the suit against Oprah
stating that though Oprah’s show melodramatized the issue, it did not
give false information to defame cattle producers. The court also
acquitted Lyman, stating that his statements, though strongly stated,
were based on established facts.

<http://www.icmrindia.org/free%20resources/casestudies/Oprah%20Winfrey1.htm>

....so i don't think a suit against the new york *times* would go very
far, unless the reviewer said they used ground-up earthworms instead
of hamburger or something.

your pal,
blake