Old 17-11-2007, 05:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Lifted off Chowhound

Too good not to share! I wish my local newspaper had the balls to do
restaurant reviews like this one!

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...203404,00.html

Old 17-11-2007, 05:47 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Goomba38 said:

Too good not to share! I wish my local newspaper had the balls to do
restaurant reviews like this one!

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...203404,00.html

"One part of the menu, described as Divo Specials, lists dishes which
'were traditionally served to visiting dignitaries and the nobility of
the Ukraine'. I can only assume Ukrainians have a healthy disdain for
their dignitaries."

Heh heh... :-)

--
Jani in WA
Old 17-11-2007, 05:50 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Fri 16 Nov 2007 10:16:38p, Goomba38 meant to say...

Too good not to share! I wish my local newspaper had the balls to do
restaurant reviews like this one!

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...203404,00.html

Amen to that, Goomba. I am sending this to a friend at work who is from
Ukraine. She will get a kick out of it!

--
November 15th,2007
A mind is a terrible thing to lose...
| |_ _ ,_ |/ , _ . .,_ _
| | |(_|| ||\/_)(_|||/|| |(_|
___ ._| ._|
.'=:-\
/.='( ` give thanks...
/. ^=.'-._..---.
Old 17-11-2007, 01:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

They for sure don't do reviews like that in St. Louis. Or at least not
that I've read. I don't follow our food sections here very often. I
always find them uninspiring and insipid and best. The review you posted
was vivid and funny with a wicked backlash. I would read the reviewer's
column every time it was published. Thanks for the post.

Michael

Yeah..mine seems to only do reviews (and all end up positive) on
their... advertisers! No one seems to be an impartial, food savvy critic.
Old 17-11-2007, 01:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

margaret suran wrote:

The New York Times does it. Here is Wednesday's column by Frank Bruni,
the current NY Times Food Critic.

The restaurant, Harry Cipriani is world renowned, going back to Harry's
Bar in Venice in the 1930's.

http://events.nytimes.com/2007/11/14...ws/14rest.html

Bravo! Good for the NYTimes. In almost makes up for some of the stupid
stuff they've published over the years.

Sidenote: I very much enjoyed reading "Garlic and Sapphires, The Secret
Life of a Critic in Disguise" by Ruth Reichel a couple years ago.
Who knew it could be such hard work!?

Old 17-11-2007, 01:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba38" wrote

Michael "Dog3" wrote:

They for sure don't do reviews like that in St. Louis. Or at least not
that I've read. I don't follow our food sections here very often. I
always find them uninspiring and insipid and best. The review you posted
was vivid and funny with a wicked backlash. I would read the reviewer's
column every time it was published. Thanks for the post.

Yeah..mine seems to only do reviews (and all end up positive) on their...
advertisers! No one seems to be an impartial, food savvy critic.

I got such a laugh. In my paper, they first took away the ratings
(the best you could get were four pretzels) from the column that
rated pub type places. Now his reviews are never negative. They
used to be hilarious, the last one I remember he rated the bar in
Macaroni Grill.

Later they took away the stars from the restaurant reviewer. She
still tells it like it is, and that is often good for a laugh. My
favorites are the comments about snippy or obnoxious service.
That's got to be a fun read at work the day after.

nancy

Old 17-11-2007, 01:56 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3"" wrote

margaret suran dropped this
: in rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
Too good not to share! I wish my local newspaper had the balls to do
restaurant reviews like this one!

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...203404,00.html

The New York Times does it. Here is Wednesday's column by Frank Bruni,
the current NY Times Food Critic.

The restaurant, Harry Cipriani is world renowned, going back to Harry's
Bar in Venice in the 1930's.

http://events.nytimes.com/2007/11/14...ws/14rest.html

This was my favorite part of the review:

"And cram they do. At times they place the Frisbee-size tables for four
so tightly together that Harry Cipriani seems to be doing an haute
impersonation of Prune or the Spotted Pig."

My favorite was:

One dining room is brightly lit, the other gloomy. If you go - perhaps
because you are in the grip of a terminal illness and need a laugh - I
recommend the latter. That way you won't have to look at the food
as well as taste it.

(still laughing) nancy

Old 17-11-2007, 02:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
[...]

Sounds like Gordon Ramsay on the last episode of Kitchen Nightmares. The
Shepherds Pie was mostly grease and gristle. Best eaten with the lights
off, thanks! (And I hate to tell him this but it's not made with ground
beef.)

Jill

Old 17-11-2007, 02:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
Too good not to share! I wish my local newspaper had the balls to
do restaurant reviews like this one!

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...203404,00.html

The New York Times does it. Here is Wednesday's column by Frank
Bruni, the current NY Times Food Critic.

The restaurant, Harry Cipriani is world renowned, going back to
Harry's Bar in Venice in the 1930's.

http://events.nytimes.com/2007/11/14...ws/14rest.html

Loved reading this, thanks!
Dee Dee

Old 18-11-2007, 05:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
Too good not to share! I wish my local newspaper had the balls to do
restaurant reviews like this one!

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...203404,00.html

I dunno. I think his Jewish forebears left the Ukraine because they
were sick of being killed. It's not like they would have eaten anything
off of that menu anyhow

--

Sarah Gray

Old 18-11-2007, 10:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Goomba38 wrote:

Too good not to share! I wish my local newspaper had the balls to do
restaurant reviews like this one!

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...203404,00.html

Your newspaper's legal department likely would discourage it. Somebody'd
find a lawsuit in there somewhere.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
Notes about our meals in Tuscany have been posted to
Old 19-11-2007, 02:04 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Goomba38 wrote:

Too good not to share! I wish my local newspaper had the balls to do
restaurant reviews like this one!

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...203404,00.html

Your newspaper's legal department likely would discourage it. Somebody'd
find a lawsuit in there somewhere.

I'll look forward to hearing if anyone at the NYTimes gets sued over
this one then??
Old 19-11-2007, 06:53 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:04:57 -0500, Goomba38
wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Goomba38 wrote:

Too good not to share! I wish my local newspaper had the balls to do
restaurant reviews like this one!

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...203404,00.html

Your newspaper's legal department likely would discourage it. Somebody'd
find a lawsuit in there somewhere.

I'll look forward to hearing if anyone at the NYTimes gets sued over
this one then??

i'm pretty sure this is well-plowed territory, and covered under first
amendment grounds, unless the reviewer knowingly and maliciously
spread falsehoods.

your pal,
blake
Old 19-11-2007, 08:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:04:57 -0500, Goomba38
wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Goomba38 wrote:

Too good not to share! I wish my local newspaper had the balls to do
restaurant reviews like this one!

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...203404,00.html

Your newspaper's legal department likely would discourage it. Somebody'd
find a lawsuit in there somewhere.

I'll look forward to hearing if anyone at the NYTimes gets sued over
this one then??

i'm pretty sure this is well-plowed territory, and covered under first
amendment grounds, unless the reviewer knowingly and maliciously
spread falsehoods.

your pal,
blake

Do you remember when Oprah said something against the meat industry. First
amendment?

Dee Dee

Old 19-11-2007, 10:40 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

l, not -l wrote:
On 19-Nov-2007, Goomba38 wrote:

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article ,
Goomba38 wrote:

Too good not to share! I wish my local newspaper had the balls to do
restaurant reviews like this one!

http://lifeandhealth.guardian.co.uk/...203404,00.html
Your newspaper's legal department likely would discourage it. Somebody'd

find a lawsuit in there somewhere.

I'll look forward to hearing if anyone at the NYTimes gets sued over
this one then??

I think I missed something; why would the NYTimes be sued over an article in
a UK newspaper?

Ooops..sorry- the next linked story in this thread was an equally harsh
review of a restaurant in NYC.